Home
Posted By: EdMehlig Hard to Rack a Ruger SR1911 - 08/31/20
I just bought a Ruger SR1911. I love the gun and it's more accurate than I am. My only problem with it is it is hard to rack the slide. Any suggestions to remedy this?
Posted By: JCS271 Re: Hard to Rack a Ruger SR1911 - 08/31/20
The obvious question is, is it a lack of hand strength or a mechanical issue with the pistol?
Mine isn't any harder to rack then any of my others. Have you tried overhand?
Posted By: MOGC Re: Hard to Rack a Ruger SR1911 - 08/31/20
Cock the hammer first...? Shouldn't have to do that but it will make it easier to run the slide.
1. Is this your first 1911 or are you familiar with how much effort is required?
2. Is it a 45ACP or a 10mm?
I'll see if I can type this out so it makes sense...

Start with the pistol pointed at the target and you facing the target, too.
Now leave the pistol pointed at the target and turn your body (to the right for a right handed shooter) so that your chest is facing the side of the pistol.
Firmly grasp the grip of the pistol and lock your wrist.
Bring your other hand over the top of the slide (at the back of it, don't cover the ejection port).
Grab the slide with your palm (or palm and thumb) on one side and all four fingers on the other (kind've like you were going to hold onto it to do a pullup).
Now push both hands together. When the slide is all the way back let go, don't push the slide forward or let it ride through your hand.

This lets you use the muscles of your back, chest and shoulders rather than forearms.

A 1911 has two springs you’re working against, but with striker fired guns (even the small ones) I haven't found anyone that can't work a slide with this technique.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Now leave the pistol pointed at the target and turn your body (to the right for a right handed shooter) so that your chest is facing the side of the pistol.
Bring your other hand over the top of the slide (at the back of it, don't cover the ejection port).
Grab the slide with your palm (or palm and thumb) on one side and all four fingers on the other (kind've like you were going to hold onto it to do a pullup).
Now push both hands together. When the slide is all the way back let go, don't push the slide forward or let it ride through your hand.

This lets you use the muscles of your back and shoulders rather than forearms.

A 1911 has two springs your working against, but with striker fired guns (even the small ones) I haven't found anyone that can't work a slide with this technique.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: HawkI Re: Hard to Rack a Ruger SR1911 - 09/01/20
Get a revolver....
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

This lets you use the muscles of your back and shoulders rather than forearms.

A 1911 has two springs your working against, but with striker fired guns (even the small ones) I haven't found anyone that can't work a slide with this technique.

^^^This^^^

Now THAT is the 'overhand' method I mentioned....
Posted By: JOG Re: Hard to Rack a Ruger SR1911 - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by EdMehlig
I just bought a Ruger SR1911. I love the gun and it's more accurate than I am. My only problem with it is it is hard to rack the slide. Any suggestions to remedy this?

The flip side is you're looking for a cure to what some see as a benefit. Some guys pay big bucks for a slide-frame fit that's too tight. wink

The pistol will most likely break in just fine, and/or you can speed things up by pulling the recoil spring and working the slide a couple thousand times with a 50-50 mix of Kroil and J-B Bore paste on the rails. It takes less than an hour.
or you can rack it once and shoot the chit outta it......
Yes, it is a 45, but I've racked other pistols Glock 9MM, S&W Tactical 9MM and they were easier to rack than my Ruger. When I look at Midway USA commericals and I see him rack his what I think is a Colt 1911 he's able to do it with no effort at all?

I can try some luberication on the slide to see if that helps.

Thanks...Ed
"When I look at Midway USA commericals and I see him rack his what I think is a Colt 1911 he's able to do it with no effort at all?"

He may have a light mainspring, a light recoil spring & a beveled firing pin stop..................all make a slide easier to rack. Just for the video or for light loads or both, just sayin'.

Lube never hurts either....................

MM
Unload the gun and remove the recoil spring, cock the hammer and work the slide fore and aft to check for binding slide rails. Lower the hammer and work the slide. Find anything?
Yes, it is a 45, but I've racked other pistols Glock 9MM, S&W Tactical 9MM and they were easier to rack than my Ruger.

That’s how God advises that you were on the right track.
I have the same gun and it seems to rack fine.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Hard to Rack a Ruger SR1911 - 09/02/20
Wow, 3 posts in 19 years, you're on a roll dude! Ha, just kidding. Lots of good advice above, good luck.
I use to be an active member like you pointed out a long time ago. I think the forum changed hands, I started shooting ML's mostly and went to other forums. Then I happened to see someone mentioned this site and I said, wow they are still around. Unfortunately members who I use to correspond with a long time ago have since passed away. I have now booked mark this forum so you should be seeing me more often.
Stop by anytime Ed.
Will do and Thanks!
Posted By: g5m Re: Hard to Rack a Ruger SR1911 - 09/04/20
I use to be an active member like you pointed out a long time ago. I think the forum changed hands, I started shooting ML's mostly and went to other forums. Then I happened to see someone mentioned this site and I said, wow they are still around. Unfortunately members who I use to correspond with a long time ago have since passed away. I have now booked mark this forum so you should be seeing me more often.

Well, welcome back!!
Originally Posted by HawkI
Get a revolver....

Better make it a single action.

Those double action trigger pulls can be heavy...
Posted By: HawkI Re: Hard to Rack a Ruger SR1911 - 09/06/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by HawkI
Get a revolver....

Better make it a single action.

Those double action trigger pulls can be heavy...

Sure can, but let me see if I can type it all out.

Oh yeah. Just keep squeezing the trigger.....

I'm NOT a certified, Professional exspurt, nor do I daily train people on the superiority of the contraption as the greatest self defense arm, so I apologize if I couldnt muster three paragraphs of treatise.

Ed, welcome back.
© 24hourcampfire