24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I just bought a Ruger SR1911. I love the gun and it's more accurate than I am. My only problem with it is it is hard to rack the slide. Any suggestions to remedy this?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The obvious question is, is it a lack of hand strength or a mechanical issue with the pistol?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine isn't any harder to rack then any of my others. Have you tried overhand?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cock the hammer first...? Shouldn't have to do that but it will make it easier to run the slide.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
1. Is this your first 1911 or are you familiar with how much effort is required?
2. Is it a 45ACP or a 10mm?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll see if I can type this out so it makes sense...

Start with the pistol pointed at the target and you facing the target, too.
Now leave the pistol pointed at the target and turn your body (to the right for a right handed shooter) so that your chest is facing the side of the pistol.
Firmly grasp the grip of the pistol and lock your wrist.
Bring your other hand over the top of the slide (at the back of it, don't cover the ejection port).
Grab the slide with your palm (or palm and thumb) on one side and all four fingers on the other (kind've like you were going to hold onto it to do a pullup).
Now push both hands together. When the slide is all the way back let go, don't push the slide forward or let it ride through your hand.

This lets you use the muscles of your back, chest and shoulders rather than forearms.

A 1911 has two springs you’re working against, but with striker fired guns (even the small ones) I haven't found anyone that can't work a slide with this technique.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Now leave the pistol pointed at the target and turn your body (to the right for a right handed shooter) so that your chest is facing the side of the pistol.
Bring your other hand over the top of the slide (at the back of it, don't cover the ejection port).
Grab the slide with your palm (or palm and thumb) on one side and all four fingers on the other (kind've like you were going to hold onto it to do a pullup).
Now push both hands together. When the slide is all the way back let go, don't push the slide forward or let it ride through your hand.

This lets you use the muscles of your back and shoulders rather than forearms.

A 1911 has two springs your working against, but with striker fired guns (even the small ones) I haven't found anyone that can't work a slide with this technique.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Get a revolver....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

This lets you use the muscles of your back and shoulders rather than forearms.

A 1911 has two springs your working against, but with striker fired guns (even the small ones) I haven't found anyone that can't work a slide with this technique.

^^^This^^^

Now THAT is the 'overhand' method I mentioned....

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdMehlig
I just bought a Ruger SR1911. I love the gun and it's more accurate than I am. My only problem with it is it is hard to rack the slide. Any suggestions to remedy this?

The flip side is you're looking for a cure to what some see as a benefit. Some guys pay big bucks for a slide-frame fit that's too tight. wink

The pistol will most likely break in just fine, and/or you can speed things up by pulling the recoil spring and working the slide a couple thousand times with a 50-50 mix of Kroil and J-B Bore paste on the rails. It takes less than an hour.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
or you can rack it once and shoot the chit outta it......

OP Offline
Yes, it is a 45, but I've racked other pistols Glock 9MM, S&W Tactical 9MM and they were easier to rack than my Ruger. When I look at Midway USA commericals and I see him rack his what I think is a Colt 1911 he's able to do it with no effort at all?

I can try some luberication on the slide to see if that helps.

Thanks...Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"When I look at Midway USA commericals and I see him rack his what I think is a Colt 1911 he's able to do it with no effort at all?"

He may have a light mainspring, a light recoil spring & a beveled firing pin stop..................all make a slide easier to rack. Just for the video or for light loads or both, just sayin'.

Lube never hurts either....................

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unload the gun and remove the recoil spring, cock the hammer and work the slide fore and aft to check for binding slide rails. Lower the hammer and work the slide. Find anything?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EdMehlig
Yes, it is a 45, but I've racked other pistols Glock 9MM, S&W Tactical 9MM and they were easier to rack than my Ruger.

That’s how God advises that you were on the right track.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have the same gun and it seems to rack fine.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wow, 3 posts in 19 years, you're on a roll dude! Ha, just kidding. Lots of good advice above, good luck.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
OP Offline
I use to be an active member like you pointed out a long time ago. I think the forum changed hands, I started shooting ML's mostly and went to other forums. Then I happened to see someone mentioned this site and I said, wow they are still around. Unfortunately members who I use to correspond with a long time ago have since passed away. I have now booked mark this forum so you should be seeing me more often.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Stop by anytime Ed.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
OP Offline
Will do and Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.