Home
Posted By: viking Glock 30 - 09/25/20
They appear not to be to popular, often overlooked for the big brother G21.

Does carry one? Thoughts and opinions..
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Glock 30 - 09/25/20
Great firearm, probably one of Glocks most accurate firearms.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Glock 30 - 09/25/20
I carry a G 30s. Just a tad more compact, and as stated very accurate! I normally carry it with the flush fit 10 round mag, and a spare 13 round G 21 mag. My carry ammunition for it is Federal Premium LE HST 230 gr +P JHP with a MV of 950 fps.

Given my work, I can run across anything from a Methhead cooking dope, to a pizzed off Gator, or a Hog, or a Bear, and with 11 rounds of that goodness in the palm of your hand.....well it's comforting! LOL

I ordered the "Dual Agent" holster from El Paso Saddlery and it's been a pretty good holster. Keeps the butt tucked in tightly, and has adjustable retention.

Good luck, they are good little pistols!
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Glock 30 - 09/25/20
I've had one for 15 years and has been a great little carry gun. Don't carry it much anymore but still shoot it quite a bit
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Glock 30 - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by Esox357
Great firearm, probably one of Glocks most accurate firearms.

I don't know what it is about the Glock 30, but mine was freakishly accurate as well. Even with inexperienced shooters.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock 30 - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by viking
They appear not to be to popular, often overlooked for the big brother G21.

Does carry one? Thoughts and opinions..

The 30s is among the best CCWs ever made especially in .45ACP. It about same size as G19. The G30s is to .45 is what G26 is to 9x19, a gold standard of sorts.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Glock 30 - 09/26/20
I have a 30s that I shoot and carry often. Very accurate in my hands and just as easy to conceal as g19. Great gun for me.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock 30 - 09/26/20
I am liking the idea of the 30 better than a 19/23 , which is tuff to beat.
Posted By: JCS271 Re: Glock 30 - 09/26/20
My 30S is perilously close to the perfect everyday carry gun. Compact for comfortable carry, 11 rounds 45 ACP in an accurate 100% reliable pistol. What more could you want?
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Glock 30 - 09/26/20
It would appear that I'm not the only one that likes the little gun! LOL

And little is a relative term....considering other models, but as has been stated, it's an effective CCW platform with a big bite if you need it!

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Glock 30 - 09/26/20
Originally Posted by JCS271
My 30S is perilously close to the perfect everyday carry gun. Compact for comfortable carry, 11 rounds 45 ACP in an accurate 100% reliable pistol. What more could you want?

One of my sons had a 30S at the same time I had a standard G30, so we got to shoot them side by side with the same loads and carry each gun IWB for a couple of days. The thinner slide is definitely an improvement for all day IWB carry.

If I buy another one it will definitely be the 30S.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Glock 30 - 09/26/20
We were issued them when my last agency was still carrying 45s. They were our 'off duty" guns. I liked everything except the slide width. Very very accurate
Posted By: erickg Re: Glock 30 - 09/27/20
30S is the ticket, look no further.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock 30 - 09/27/20
they always seemed to be a good idea when I bought them, they always seemed to be too big, too fat and too heavy to carry all the time when I sold them. If you really carry a weapon all the time a good compact 9mm will put you in the same place as a good compact 45acp, but you pants won't sag as much, and you might even forget that its on you. All this is out the window of course if you wear suspenders. smile
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Glock 30 - 09/29/20
I had one for awhile, and also the 10mm Glock 29 version.

Neither one was the ā€œSā€ and both felt a bit like a 2x4 in the hand. The mediocre .45 ballistics out of that sort barrel got my attention, as did the relative scarcity and cost of 10mm ammo.

I eventually came to the conclusion I was better off with a Glock 19.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Glock 30 - 10/01/20
I have a G30SF. Used to carry it some. Haven't carried it in a couple years. You definitely know it's there on your side compared to a G27 or G43.

Ron
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock 30 - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I have a G30SF. Used to carry it some. Haven't carried it in a couple years. You definitely know it's there on your side compared to a G27 or G43.

Ron

or a p365.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock 30 - 01/03/21
The 30S fills the role as an all around outdoors, go to town gun for me. It is perfect for putting in my chest rig (hill people gear) when packing out hind quarters, instead of carrying a rifle. It serves as a lightweight hiking piece in wolf/lion/bear country. It also serves well for in town CCW duties.

Since 2021 is shaping up to be the "Year of the Large Primer carry guns, as small primers are pretty tough to get, I am carrying my .45s more and more. Between 1911s and .45 caliber Glocks, large primers are definitely on the menu in 2021. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 30 - 01/03/21
I thought the 30S was an awesome concept and bought one nearly right after they hit the market. Unfortunately, I had a problem with the slide locking back while there were still rounds in the mag. This happened fairly frequently. I sent it back to Glock for repair, and they said it ran perfectly for them, so I must be gripping it wrong, thus pushing up on the slide stop with my thumb under recoil. I tried shooting it again, while paying close attention to not doing that, and it still happened, so I dumped it at a loss at the very next nearby gun show. To replace it, I bought a standard Glock 30, and it's been 100% perfect. Shoots great.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I thought the 30S was an awesome concept and bought one nearly right after they hit the market. Unfortunately, I had a problem with the slide locking back while there were still rounds in the mag. This happened fairly frequently. I sent it back to Glock for repair, and they said it ran perfectly for them, so I must be gripping it wrong, thus pushing up on the slide stop with my thumb under recoil. I tried shooting it again, while paying close attention to not doing that, and it still happened, so I dumped it at a loss at the very next nearby gun show. To replace it, I bought a standard Glock 30, and it's been 100% perfect. Shoots great.

Thats the first Ive heard of that issue. Have owned and carried mine since they first came out. Round count has to be north of 1.5-2k and never had that happen. Maybe Ive just been lucky? Probably my favorite of all the Glocks I own.
Posted By: foxs Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
I have an "S" like it have trijicon nite sights on it
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
When the 30 first came out I read the rags.
They gushed about it, of course.
How small!.....

So I went to look at one.
Hmmm, doesn't really seam small.
Feels....big.

"Can I see that 19 too?"

So it's the same size, but fatter.
It's heavier. Empty.
And the grip is even bigger.

But, it gives up 6 rounds.

Honestly never checked out the S.
Might like tgat one.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
How small!.....

Feels....big.

Might like that one.

You realize, of course, that the 30S uses the same frame as the 30. It feels in the hand exactly the same. The only difference is the slide on the 30 is a hair thicker and heavier than on the S. In a proper belt/holster combo, the standard 30 carries comfortably and conceals about as well as the 30S. The standard 30 shoots better than the S, too, due to more slide weight to absorb recoil.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
I have to disagree TRH. I've carried the 30 and 30S in the same Safariland 27 and the 30s was noticeably more comfortable. No diff on target with two of us passing them both back and forth; but both of us are used to harder kicking handguns so the recoil from these was inconsequential.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
I'd like one if my paws were bigger but a 19 is more my size.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I'd like one if my paws were bigger but a 19 is more my size.

The 19 is just right for most adult men.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
I would like to try both. But I can't make myself carry a Block. Had one (22) for about 12 years, issued to me when hauling max level inmates. I don't like the dumb switch in the middle of the trigger. I like the 1911A1 for carry. But I have two 21s for some experimentation. It was cheaper/easier than the 1911A1 for the kind of alterations I was trying. I have a 50 GI top on one and a 9" barrel, springs and other parts changes to set up for 45 Super on the other. I do have 26 round mags for the 45 for "vehicular emergencies". Makes for a decent car or truck gun. Sure wish I had one of the 686s they traded off to change to the Block. Actually one of each barrel length! Rant over. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: DeCurry Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21

I had the opposite problem: over time, my slide started to not lock back when the magazine was empty. I had people tell me I was hitting the slide release while shooting; however, I ran tests where I'd 'flag' my thumb to completely avoid the slide release and I also let some friends shoot it, the problem could be reproduced in all cases.

One other oddity was that even when the slide lock would engage, it might disengage on its own (it would lock back for a second or two, then release) or you could cause it to disengage if you smacked the side of the slide. This had me start looking at the possibility of a defective slide lock or similar issue. After becoming more familiar with how the follower in the magazine works (I'm proficient with firearms, but I don't claim to be an armorer), it became obvious after comparing my factory 10-round magazine followers to online images of other magazines that the little 'nub' on the follower that pushes up on the slide lock to engage it was ever so slightly smaller on my magazines. I'd wanted a 13 round magazine as a back up so I bought one and it clearly had a slightly different follower. A range test helped further cement this as the issue; the 13 rounder always locked back, the original two 10 rounders that came with the gun would fail the majority of the time. I later acquired new 9- and 10-round magazines and they've never had this issue, it was only the original 10-round magazines that came with the gun. My 30S was purchased the same week it debuted at SHOT Show; I don't know if the early magazines had been modified for the release and were later updated (not sure why they would have been given the 30SF had already been around awhile at that point and it's the same frame and uses the same magazines) or if I just got two lemons.

FYI, don't buy the factory 9-round magazines and expect to carry 9+1: they will not hold 9 rounds; hell, I can barely get the 8th round in them. It's disappointing, but they are a more flush fit with the bottom of the grip for CCW. I'd read about this online before buying them but I ass-umed I was special and could never possibly run in to this same problem.

Overall, though, I've been very pleased with the gun. Everyone that shoots it is also surprised by its accuracy. I've used it a lot as a field gun (I load it with Buffalo Bore 255 grain hard cast rounds; you definitely know it when you touch one of these off), it was at one point my nightstand gun, and I've occasionally carried it. Given its size, round capacity and versatility, I really think it is one of the best options if you're interested in .45 ACP.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
I had a G30 with an extended slide stop on it and my thumb would interfere with it occasionally. I swapped in the standard slide stop and that cured it.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
How small!.....

Feels....big.

Might like that one.

You realize, of course, that the 30S uses the same frame as the 30. It feels in the hand exactly the same. The only difference is the slide on the 30 is a hair thicker and heavier than on the S. In a proper belt/holster combo, the standard 30 carries comfortably and conceals about as well as the 30S. The standard 30 shoots better than the S, too, due to more slide weight to absorb recoil.

The G30S has the same size frame as the G30SF and G30 Gen4.
The G30 is a little longer trigger to backstrap length than the G30SF and G30 Gen4.

The G30S slide is the same as a G36 slide.

I have found the G30 and G30SF shoot better for me than the G30S did.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock 30 - 01/04/21
It is a very efficient .45 for the size of it. When it comes to the size/weight/capacity, I find it to be a very practical little big bore handgun. Like Sarge, I have put a good number of rounds through mine with no issue, but everyone handles recoil differently. There is no doubt that a 9mm is easier to shoot, but for a compact .45 the G30S is a solid choice.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Glock 30 - 01/05/21
Including the base plate of the OEM 10 round mag, I can get 3 1/2 fingers on a G29/30; but that damn exaggerated hump at the rear of the frame makes getting a shooting grip slower than it should be. In my hands the 21SF is just right and of course we are all different in this regard.

In late '14 I had a rotator cuff/bicep repair scheduled, so I knew I'd be left handed for a couple of months. To complicate matters, my left hand stopped an Old Hickory 25 years pervious. I have good use of it but it not as much dexterity or feeling as my right. So I started looking at ways to make the 30 work better in either hand. This board always shows my photos as linked images, so here's a link to what I came up with. If the election Stupid ever abates I'm going to find a 30S and give it this treatment.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/glock-30-grip-modifications/
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock 30 - 01/05/21
Sarge,

I undercut mine and knocked down the front finger groove to get a better, higher grip on it, as I have size XL hands. It made a difference.

I hear you Mackay. I adapted to finger grooves pretty well on the G22-23 but they don't work for me on the 30. The undercut makes a big difference too, especially when you bevel the outside edges up a little. I had to be real careful around the mag release but one could just as easily remove it.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock 30 - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Sarge,

I undercut mine and knocked down the front finger groove to get a better, higher grip on it, as I have size XL hands. It made a difference.

It would have been easier to get G23 in the first place. Better capacity with standard magazine, larger grip area and less expensive easier to find ammo.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 30 - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Including the base plate of the OEM 10 round mag, I can get 3 1/2 fingers on a G29/30; but that damn exaggerated hump at the rear of the frame makes getting a shooting grip slower than it should be. In my hands the 21SF is just right and of course we are all different in this regard.

In late '14 I had a rotator cuff/bicep repair scheduled, so I knew I'd be left handed for a couple of months. To complicate matters, my left hand stopped an Old Hickory 25 years pervious. I have good use of it but it not as much dexterity or feeling as my right. So I started looking at ways to make the 30 work better in either hand. This board always shows my photos as linked images, so here's a link to what I came up with. If the election Stupid ever abates I'm going to find a 30S and give it this treatment.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/glock-30-grip-modifications/

That looks like an improvement.
Thanks TRH, I decided I was going to make it feel better in the hand regardless of what it ended up looking like. I figure the only way you can make a Glock uglier is to trade it for a Springfield XD; though I will admit a certain affection for the 4" xd45 Service.
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: Glock 30 - 01/05/21
Is the Glock M30 smaller than the Glock M21? If so how much smaller? Would the recoil be more or less with the M30 with both using the same ammo?

Thanks
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock 30 - 01/05/21
I have tried two of them, they did not stay with me. They did appear to shoot better than the G21, but like the 21 due to thickness are more difficult for me at least to carry IWB. The 45 shield while holding fewer rounds in my hands shoots better and is easier for me to carry..
The 45 Shield is a nice small 45 for sure.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: Glock 30 - 01/06/21
I undercut and then rounded the undercut... highly recommend both as it makes it much more comfortable to shoot.

I feel the pearce grip extensions also help the grip (they do not add a round)

I use mine for woods carry.

For concealed carry, we're all built differently... and my skinny arse does not work well with this chubby gun. If it did, it would be my town gun as well.

Jerry

Thought I'd add that I've had a G21, G21SF, and a G21SF Longslide (pre-G41). The G21 & G21 SF grip always just felt a little too big, do-able but not quite right. Whereas the G30 (either SF or Gen. 4) is a good fit (for me).

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock 30 - 01/07/21
Originally Posted by Slavek
Sarge,

It would have been easier to get G23 in the first place. Better capacity with standard magazine, larger grip area and less expensive easier to find ammo.

So lets examine your post as once again you are making statements without any experience or facts to back them up. I am betting, just like the 4506 and 645, you are speaking as a theorist, versus actually having experience.

First,

The purpose for the G30S for me is for a dual role handgun, as I hunt/hike and pursue outdoors activities in areas that are home to wolves, mountain lions, bears etc. I specifically wanted a large bore, compact Glock. I have used and owned the Glock 20 and 29 multiple times in the past and still shoot 10mm in a full size frame conversion on my G21.

For the compact gun however I specifically wanted a .45, since I have been loading for .45 since the late 80s, early 90s. So it is NOT less expensive for me. Nor is it cheaper. Plus since I was issued .45 ACPs for years as well as being both the agency's armorer and regional firearms instructor, I had access to lots of ammo. .45 ACP pistol ammo.

Back on the topic of handloading, I can also load rather hot, 230-250-255 grain hard cast flat point projectiles that penetrate very deep and break bones. They penetrate in feet rather than inches. That is a distinct advantage over the .40 S&W in a Glock .23.

In summary,

The G23 is NOT easier for me to get, as I already own a G21, and the G30S is magazine compatible.

I have owned multiple .40 caliber Glocks in the past and was not overly impressed.

I can get a full firing grip on the G30S and I have size XL hands, so you apparently have not spent any time with these two guns.

The .40 ammo is not less expensive for me, and in fact is more expensive.

.45 ammo is quite easy for me to find, as I can make it by the thousands on my Dillon progressive reloading press.

I know exactly why I chose the G30S over a G23 or any other. It was and still is a solid choice for my intended role.

Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
I undercut and then rounded the undercut... highly recommend both as it makes it much more comfortable to shoot.

I feel the pearce grip extensions also help the grip (they do not add a round)

I use mine for woods carry.

For concealed carry, we're all built differently... and my skinny arse does not work well with this chubby gun. If it did, it would be my town gun as well.

Jerry

Thought I'd add that I've had a G21, G21SF, and a G21SF Longslide (pre-G41). The G21 & G21 SF grip always just felt a little too big, do-able but not quite right. Whereas the G30 (either SF or Gen. 4) is a good fit (for me).

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

That is a Very Nice looking little 30. Those things are way more accurate than people even realize. I would wager that that thing is a tack driver.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Glock 30 - 01/07/21
I'll drop mine in. With XS express sights.

Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 30 - 01/07/21
Originally Posted by 10Glock

I replaced the serrated trigger on mine with a smooth face trigger for a Glock 21. I much prefer it.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Glock 30 - 01/07/21
Mackay,

That guy's handgun "knowledge" comes entirely from reading the internet from Mom's basement in Krakow.
He wouldn't know a Glock from a Pierogi.
That's what I have ascertained from his posts... Grin.

It makes me shake my head how people make statements and/or post "advice" on topics with absolutely zero background or experience on the subject matter. But it happens every day.

I refer to them as Internet Parrots. They read some crap on the web and repeat it. Usually what they read was actually from another internet Parrot, who himself has absolutely no experience. That of course is how a whole bunch of people have built their careers.. On pure BS.

But if you post enough BS eventually someone might believe it! We have a few here who are real ninjas at Google-fu. crazy

OH well!

Here is a pic of the G30S in its natural environment, next to the Salmon River. smile

CHEERS!
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Glock 30 - 01/07/21
Mackay, what sort of velocities are getting with your assorted hard cast flat points out of that short barrel?
You've peaked my interest in a mini G.
I don't have my notes in front of me, but from memory the stubby barrel got 875 with the 250s with Longshot.

Longshot is really a solid powder for heavy .45 ACP loads, and we have numerous posters here who have done a BUNCH of work using it. In fact FAR more than I, as they were fiddling with 45 Supers in their 1911s.

RJM, JWP, Paul 105 Yondering, and Dirt Farmer all come to mind.

The 45 Super turns 45 ACPs into a whole other animal with their 5" barrels. That said, I think it is a bridge too far with a G30S with its skinny slide. But +P 45 ACP is not a problem, so that was the realm I have stuck with.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Glock 30 - 01/07/21
That's decent speed for 45acp 250 gr. , especially in a short barrel.
Thanks for putting that up, another project to work on.
Posted By: Mesabi Re: Glock 30 - 01/07/21
Mackay, I'm pretty sure that Slavek is a euro-trash version of good old Swampman700. Remember some of his gems?
I'd like to forget!
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Glock 30 - 01/08/21
Originally Posted by 10Glock

How are you liking the express sights? Was the front sight an easy install?
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock 30 - 01/08/21
I am not 10Glock, but have installed no shortage of Glock sights, having managed armories.

If you can tie your shoes you can swap a Glock front sight.

The original plastic front sight simply pops out with just about any decent set of pliers.

The replacements have a hexagon style wrench/installment tool. You just pop it in, and add a dab of medium loctite/fingernail polish hardener and screw it down. That is it.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 30 - 01/08/21
I am not 10Glock, but have installed no shortage of Glock sights, having managed armories.

If you can tie your shoes you can swap a Glock front sight.

The original plastic front sight simply pops out with just about any decent set of pliers.

The replacements have a hexagon style wrench/installment tool. You just pop it in, and add a dab of medium loctite/fingernail polish hardener and screw it down. That is it.

I've got a Glock sight tool that makes it easy.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Glock 30 - 01/08/21
Thank you gentlemen. The collected competencies of this outfit are indeed formidable.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock 30 - 01/08/21
Thanks all the input fellas.
© 24hourcampfire