Home
Posted By: VinceM New to Handguns - 11/07/20
I moved to FL recently and I'm going to get a pistol,and hopefully carry permit. So what do you recommend ? I'm not looking for a huge cannon and snake shot is something I have in mind ,so I was thinking revolver.
Posted By: byron Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
Are you sure Vince? From the size of some of those snakes I've seen them picking up in Florida, cannon is exactly what I'd be thinking.
Posted By: VinceM Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by byron
Are you sure Vince? From the size of some of those snakes I've seen them picking up in Florida, cannon is exactly what I'd be thinking.

lol I'm thinking something I won't need suspenders for
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20

browse here

these guys are GTG.........

A deciding factory to consider......

ammo available ?

Dies & components ?

https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/revolvers/ruger-gp100-357mag-7sh-4-2-ss-as.html
Posted By: JD45 Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
If you need to carry it I would recommend a S&W 640 snub. If it's only for the car or home, maybe any 4" .357/.38Spl. revolver.
Posted By: saddlering Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
Hi Vince, hope the move went well. A 38 357 be fine, get a 3"-4" barrel, if you want to use bird shot in it for the snakes. A lot of different guns to choose from, try to handle a few different ones to see what feel best for you.
Originally Posted by saddlering
Hi Vince, hope the move went well. A 38 357 be fine, get a 3"-4" barrel, if you want to use bird shot in it for the snakes. A lot of different guns to choose from, try to handle a few different ones to see what feel best for you.

Thanks John I hope I never have to move again. I do have to move across town to the home I purchased so I'm not completely finished

Thanks for the comments thus far fella's
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
Make some friends or find a rental range and try out their guns first. Expect to have to deal with ammo shortage issues that may affect the ability to live fire a lot of rounds.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by VinceM
I moved to FL recently and I'm going to get a pistol,and hopefully carry permit. So what do you recommend ? I'm not looking for a huge cannon and snake shot is something I have in mind ,so I was thinking revolver.

Find a nice pre-82 S&W Model 10 or 64. Ideally, one with a three inch bull barrel and round butt frame. But square butt, four inch barrel works too.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20

I highly recommend the Sig P365 in 9mm it is small accurate and easy to shoot. Can do anything the revolver can plus a whole lot more
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by jwp475

I highly recommend the Sig P365 in 9mm it is small accurate and easy to shoot. Can do anything the revolver can plus a whole lot more

^^^This^^^
Posted By: cra1948 Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

I would vote for the 365 as well. I like mine a lot for EDC. It’s very easy to shoot compared to most other small pistols, IME.

I would take exception to the idea that you’re going to need ONE handgun. Nobody settles for ONE handgun.
Posted By: dla Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
I can't believe anyone recommending a revolver - this is not 1975......
Originally Posted by dla

Exactly
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by dla

He said he was leaning towards a revolver.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by dla

He is a total novice and should be steared in the best direction

I was told if you wanna shoot snake shot the autos are ng ???

I do have a nice load of .410 ammo

Tell me about the non exposed hammer revolver ?

Why pray tell would an auto loader not shoot snake shot?
My cousin shots a lot of snake shot out of a semi auto. If fact the semi doesn't have to deal with the barrel cylinder gap

The non exposed hammer revolvers are double action only and are old school for CCW
A semi is not as wide and easier to carry and easier to carry reloads

There is absolutely no advantage of a revolver over a quality semi auto in any circumstance for what you are wanting

Why pray tell would an auto loader not shoot snake shot?
My cousin shots a lot of snake shot out of a semi auto. If fact the semi doesn't have to deal with the barrel cylinder gap

The non exposed hammer revolvers are double action only and are old school for CCW
A semi is not as wide and easier to carry and easier to carry reloads

Thanks for the info but reversing what I think I've learned back into a question ? Put the info forth as factual please I'm no stranger to common sense it's just handguns is a new area for me

Probably gonna shoot at the gun store too , they seemed eager to help . Good stuff ,Glad I'm outta NY for sure
Posted By: SargeMO Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
Unless of course you want to be able to use light loads (38 wadcutters) heavy loads and shot loads. There the revolver has a distinct advantage.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20
As with all guys that are new to handguns, I would recommend that you pick up a 22rf along with whatever other handgun you decide to buy, and practice with it often. You're far better off learning to shoot a handgun with little noise and recoil than starting out with a 38 or 9mm. It's far easier to learn how to shoot and build your actual skill and ability with a 22 than to jump into a more powerful gun and then try to teach yourself how to use it. I see a lot of people make this mistake, and consequently, they struggle to shoot very well at all. If you have a bud that shoots handguns well who is willing to coach you, that's a plus, but it isn't a requirement. Taking a shooting class from someone reputable is a great investment as well.

Handguns in particular are a fairly complex tool compared to, say, a hammer, and even a hammer takes a lot of practice to learn how to use well and get the results you want. It's easier to build that skill with the easiest-to-handle version to develop good technique, and then apply that technique to bigger and bigger "hammers".

There is absolutely no advantage of a revolver over a quality semi auto in any circumstance for what you are wanting

Something easy to carry in mind , not too big ??
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
As with all guys that are new to handguns, I would recommend that you pick up a 22rf along with whatever other handgun you decide to buy, and practice with it often. You're far better off learning to shoot a handgun with little noise and recoil than starting out with a 38 or 9mm. It's far easier to learn how to shoot and build your actual skill and ability with a 22 than to jump into a more powerful gun and then try to teach yourself how to use it. I see a lot of people make this mistake, and consequently, they struggle to shoot very well at all. If you have a bud that shoots handguns well who is willing to coach you, that's a plus, but it isn't a requirement. Taking a shooting class from someone reputable is a great investment as well.

Handguns in particular are a fairly complex tool compared to, say, a hammer, and even a hammer takes a lot of practice to learn how to use well and get the results you want. It's easier to build that skill with the easiest-to-handle version to develop good technique, and then apply that technique to bigger and bigger "hammers".

Thanks this sounds good. And I’ll have some time too

Sig P365
And everyone needs a 22LR

Sig P365

This is gonna be fun thanks
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20

Sig P365

This is gonna be fun thanks

Yes, yes it is!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New to Handguns - 11/07/20

I have a spare H&K 40

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Ok so thinking about a .22 of some sort , a compact 9mm and I’d like to get something that shoots the .410 but that third gun might come later. Like the looks of the size of the sig p365 on the fence about carry though it may just be in the house and if so possibly a larger gun

I gotta go handle some see what’s what. I’ve shot Rugers in 357 and 44 , larger revolvers but not much hands on with pistols
Ok so thinking about a .22 of some sort , a compact 9mm and I’d like to get something that shoots the .410 but that third gun might come later. Like the looks of the size of the sig p365 on the fence about carry though it may just be in the house and if so possibly a larger gun

I gotta go handle some see what’s what. I’ve shot Rugers in 357 and 44 , larger revolvers but not much hands on with pistols

You can shoot shotshells out of the 9mm
The P365 is as easy to hit with as a larger pistol, no down side actually
Posted By: cas6969 Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20
You move a lot. lol
Posted By: VinceM Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20
Originally Posted by cas6969
You move a lot. lol

Not really
Posted By: deflave Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20

Buy a G44 and G19.

If snake shot is your motivation buy an LCR in 22LR and .38 Special.

Stop mentioning .410’s in handguns or I’m going to drive to Flagler County and beat the schit out of you.
Posted By: VinceM Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20
Originally Posted by deflave

Buy a G44 and G19.

If snake shot is your motivation buy an LCR in 22LR and .38 Special.

Stop mentioning .410’s in handguns or I’m going to drive to Flagler County and beat the schit out of you.

That LCR looks good
Posted By: TC1 Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20
I recently picked up a P365XL and love it. Easy to carry and shoot. I would opt for something a little bigger for home defense but it could be pushed into service if necessary.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20
I would never pick a handgun over a rifle or shotgun for home defense.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20

I'm not driving to Florida, but I echo the sentiment. .410 in a handgun is so close to utterly worthless as to be indistinguishable from it.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20
Originally Posted by BtailHunter

Shotgun IF I gotta get outta bed.
Posted By: Slavek Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20
Originally Posted by dla

Forgive Dal, like most he worships in 9mm Luger faith like most modern followers. Might want to look at somewhat neglected Charter Arms. They make proletarian revolvers in .38/.357, 9x19, .40, .44 Special,.....Nothing wrong with used to save money, just avoid 9x19R because ammo will be extremely difficult to find.

You would if you spent a day with me.
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by dla

Forgive Dal, like most he worships in 9mm Luger faith like most modern followers. Might want to look at somewhat neglected Charter Arms. They make proletarian revolvers in .38/.357, 9x19, .40, .44 Special,.....Nothing wrong with used to save money, just avoid 9x19R because ammo will be extremely difficult to find.

You know as much about handguns as you do getting a chick off.

Back to the Hunter's Campfire, dick head.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20

I would and do

I would and do

That's fine, but I still consider them compromise weapons. They are handy and concealable, which matter not at home. I'd rather take on bad guys with a rifle or shotgun, given the choice.

I would and do

That's fine, but I still consider them compromise weapons. They are handy and concealable, which matter not at home. I'd rather take on bad guys with a rifle or shotgun, given the choice.

I've taken game with handguns from small all the way to Buffalo and I fail to see them as a compromise weapon. In the confines of my home they are fall superior in handling through and around doors. Easy to open doors with a handgun in the other hand at the ready, not as easy with a long gun

I would and do

I've taken game with handguns from small all the way to Buffalo and I fail to see them as a compromise weapon. In the confines of my home they are fall superior in handling through and around doors. Easy to open doors with a handgun in the other hand at the ready, not as easy with a long gun

I've read the US Military is getting ride of all M4's and replacing them with Sig365's. I'm not sure what hunting game has to do with anything, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

I would and do

I've read the US Military is getting ride of all M4's and replacing them with Sig365's. I'm not sure what hunting game has to do with anything, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

Your smart asset remarks make it clear that you aren't sure of a lot of things

Effectiveness of well placed shots are verified in the game fields, but you'd need to be bright enough to grasp that fact

I would and do

WTF would military weapons and tactics have to do with home defense? JFC. Some of the people here....

Your idea of "home defense" is a well balanced di l do.

LOL

Shocking!
Posted By: ironbender Re: New to Handguns - 11/08/20

I'm not driving to Florida, but I echo the sentiment. .410 in a handgun is so close to utterly worthless as to be indistinguishable from it.

As home defense, I’m liable to agree. Otherwise, I’ve seen an effective use of one.
Originally Posted by ironbender

As home defense, I’m liable to agree. Otherwise, I’ve seen an effective use of one.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Posted By: deflave Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

I'm all ears.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

I would and do

WTF would military weapons and tactics have to do with home defense? JFC. Some of the people here....

WTF would shooting buffalo have to do with home defense? JFC some of the people here...

I would and do

Effectiveness of well placed shots are verified in the game fields, but you'd need to be bright enough to grasp that fact

Ok boomer. You old man are funny. Obviously if grandpa don't agree, the grandma's on here are all upset.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

I would and do

Ok boomer. You old man are funny. Obviously if grandpa don't agree, the grandma's on here are all upset.

More stupid [bleep] and nothing of substance
Can't wait for your next post waiting with baited breath

Got any more super cool "I read on the internet" stories?

LOL

I would and do

WTF would shooting buffalo have to do with home defense? JFC some of the people here...

Do you need to be bottle fed

I would and do

Do you need to be bottle fed

At least I'll still be breathing in 20 years, old man.

Got any more super cool "I read on the internet" stories?

LOL

I get all my info from DHS.

At least I'll still be breathing in 20 years, old man.

You hope
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

I'm all ears.

A .410 revolver has given me MUCH joy on bushog safari's the last couple of years. Shooting rats while knocking the tops of of pastures is a whole lotta fun.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

A .410 revolver has given me MUCH joy on bushog safari's the last couple of years. Shooting rats while knocking the tops of of pastures is a whole lotta fun.

Oh brother.

Gimme a break.

I get all my info from DHS.

Clearly.

Oh brother.

Gimme a break.

These ain't just rats.....these are RATS. Mother-lovers running through the fescue look like Alaskan Brown Bears charging through streams chasing salmon. It's a thrill.....an experience.....life on the edge (of the tractor seat).......

Oh brother.

Gimme a break.

These ain't just rats.....these are RATS. Mother-lovers running through the fescue look like Alaskan Brown Bears charging through streams chasing salmon. It's a thrill.....an experience.....life on the edge (of the tractor seat).......

C'mon man.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

"BtailHunter"...modern way of spelling "beta".
Posted By: jstert Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20
my quick advice is to k.i.s.s. i.e. a revolver, 22lr or 38sp.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

I'm all ears.

I've used them with birdshot to scuttle field voles you stir up, when mowing pastures. SOBs are loud, though and I don't like anything hampering my hearing when listening to equipment run.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

I would and do

Effectiveness of well-placed shots with a handgun. I can hit a half-liter water bottle at will with several handguns. I am guessing you need a shotgun to do that.

I'm all ears.

Or you could use a lighter, smaller revolver that kicks less and that is just as effective, and the ammo is cheaper.
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

"BtailHunter"...modern way of spelling "beta".

Whatever you say boomer.

I would and do

Effectiveness of well-placed shots with a handgun. I can hit a half-liter water bottle at will with several handguns. I am guessing you need a shotgun to do that.

Following your lack of logic, you'd pick a handgun over say an AR when the nips are in the wire?

OK, beta.

Go out and get your manbun readjusted and get yourself new open-toed sandals to match your yoga pants.

We all have M4s and the newbs have AR-15s. The difference between us and YOU...we know which weapons to use for each mission or job.
Posted By: jwall Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

Sorry late to the discussion.

Since you’re new to handguns there are 2 (two) things of utmost importance.

1. Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, and Shoot some more.

2. Handload SO you can keep shooting.

I know handoading is a Greased Slide.....
The more you load, the more you SAVE so you can Shoot more. SO you load more
SO you can Save more SO you can Shoot more ........... Get the idea?
I’m not trying to make you laugh. It works that way.

Now back to the most important thing that is SHOOT !! since you are new to handguns.

I’m sorry, it’s late and I haven’t had time to read all responses.
I hope I am not Redundant.

Jerry
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20
Originally Posted by dla

He is a total novice and should be steared in the best direction

Posted By: 79S Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20
Originally Posted by dla

Charles Bronson called from the grave, he wants his pistol back.. WTF charter arms???
Posted By: T_Inman Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20
Originally Posted by dla

It sounds like the OP is at least somewhat familiar with handguns and guns in general....so this may be a moot point for his specific situation but for brand new self defense concealed carry holders....I ALWAYS recommend a DA revolver of some sort. The main reason is because I have found it gives people MUCH more confidence in walking around in their daily lives with a loaded gun, without fear of it accidentally going off. DAO pistols like the Sig P365, Glocks and such with their trigger system serve the same purpose---but for whatever reason if a person can see the mechanics of how a gun works they're more likely to confidently carry a condition one handgun. Maybe this is not what others have found, but it is my experience with this matter.

I'd never recommend a single action pistol with an external safety like a 1911 to a newbie. I know that's not in the scope of your comment or the OP's post but I do feel it is important to mention.

As for .410 handguns.....fück you guys. I like 'em for snakesfrown
Posted By: AB2506 Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

Yeah there is. Maintaining close control of your fired cartridge cases if you S, S, S.

I'm all ears.

Or you could use a lighter, smaller revolver that kicks less and that is just as effective, and the ammo is cheaper.

I used a .357 with shot shells for a couple of years and it generally took 2 shots for each rat. Took a few with 10mm shot shells I made as well but those weren't robust enough to handle the jarring....better to go with the .357 capsules. Some of the second shots could be blamed on shot placement but in a bouncing tractor it's dicey......

This is real world dangerous game (historically consider plagues...rats are far more dangerous than cape buff or brown bears).......there's no replacement for displacement!
I cannot take a .410 handgun advocate seriously.

This nonsense must end.
I have never asked to be taken seriously.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20
They are pretty much worthless for anything besides snakes and I guess rats too if I ever had a need for a rat gun. They have been way more potent than handgun round birdshot capsules, for me at least.

I have killed a few grouse with one but it was marginal at best. For self defense I'd think a guy would be better off swinging a rubber dick around instead of a .410 handgun.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20
Originally Posted by T_Inman
They are pretty much worthless for anything besides snakes and I guess rats too if I ever had a need for a rat gun. They have been way more potent than handgun round birdshot capsules, for me at least.

I have killed a few grouse with one but it was marginal at best. For self defense I'd think a guy would be better off swinging a rubber dick around instead of a .410 handgun.

There's one good defensive shot load available for them with four 000 balls in a row.

I have never asked to be taken seriously.

Touche’

Lol
Originally Posted by T_Inman

100%.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by dla

Charles Bronson called from the grave, he wants his pistol back.. WTF charter arms???

😂😎

Following your lack of logic, you'd pick a handgun over say an AR when the nips are in the wire?

Nips in the wire? No, I'd be using a Garand.

Maybe you should attempt to think more and type less. Unless your goal is to embarrass yourself. You get a lot of "nips in the wire" at your house, or are you still imagining you're in the military, and apparently fighting the Japanese?

I'm all ears.

I used a .357 with shot shells for a couple of years and it generally took 2 shots for each rat. Took a few with 10mm shot shells I made as well but those weren't robust enough to handle the jarring....better to go with the .357 capsules. Some of the second shots could be blamed on shot placement but in a bouncing tractor it's dicey......

This is real world dangerous game (historically consider plagues...rats are far more dangerous than cape buff or brown bears).......there's no replacement for displacement!

Cast bullet at 800fps, couple grains of powder, low recoil and noise, very accurate. Far better option, in my opinion. And you can use the 357 for all kinds of other great stuff too, including viable self-defense, hunting, etc.

I'm not saying you shouldn't own a .410 in a handgun. This is America, and you should own what you want. I am just saying that it was an answer to a question nobody asked, that wasn't a good question to begin with, and the answer was still wrong. But I own all kinds of crap that has little to no purpose other than my enjoyment. Enjoy away!
Posted By: VinceM Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20
Ok dumb question, ordering some ammo , 9 mm is 9mm “ Luger “. Recommend over counter ammo for the sig you guys recommend?
Ok dumb question, ordering some ammo , 9 mm is 9mm “ Luger “. Recommend over counter ammo for the sig you guys recommend?

9mm Luger, 9x19, 9mm Parabellum all the same round.

Edited to add that I like Speer 124gr Gold Dot +P for self defense. I handload same bullet at same speed. +P isn't required, but I like the 124 grain weight the best, and Gold Dots are good bullets.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: New to Handguns - 11/09/20

Gold Dot or HST, either 124 or 147 grain, standard pressure or +P, whatever you can get your hands on.

LEHIGH DEFENSE, HST, Gold Dot, Ranger T-Series, SIG V-Crown.
Posted By: VinceM Re: New to Handguns - 11/10/20
Thanks fellas for all the help
© 24hourcampfire