J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Stop mentioning .410’s in handguns or I’m going to drive to Flagler County and beat the schit out of you.

I'm not driving to Florida, but I echo the sentiment. .410 in a handgun is so close to utterly worthless as to be indistinguishable from it.

As home defense, I’m liable to agree. Otherwise, I’ve seen an effective use of one.

I'm all ears.

A .410 revolver has given me MUCH joy on bushog safari's the last couple of years. Shooting rats while knocking the tops of of pastures is a whole lotta fun.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

A .410 revolver has given me MUCH joy on bushog safari's the last couple of years. Shooting rats while knocking the tops of of pastures is a whole lotta fun.

Oh brother.

Gimme a break.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BtailHunter

I get all my info from DHS.

Clearly.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oh brother.

Gimme a break.

These ain't just rats.....these are RATS. Mother-lovers running through the fescue look like Alaskan Brown Bears charging through streams chasing salmon. It's a thrill.....an experience.....life on the edge (of the tractor seat).......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Oh brother.

Gimme a break.

These ain't just rats.....these are RATS. Mother-lovers running through the fescue look like Alaskan Brown Bears charging through streams chasing salmon. It's a thrill.....an experience.....life on the edge (of the tractor seat).......

C'mon man.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"BtailHunter"...modern way of spelling "beta".

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
my quick advice is to k.i.s.s. i.e. a revolver, 22lr or 38sp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Stop mentioning .410’s in handguns or I’m going to drive to Flagler County and beat the schit out of you.

I'm not driving to Florida, but I echo the sentiment. .410 in a handgun is so close to utterly worthless as to be indistinguishable from it.

As home defense, I’m liable to agree. Otherwise, I’ve seen an effective use of one.

I'm all ears.

I've used them with birdshot to scuttle field voles you stir up, when mowing pastures. SOBs are loud, though and I don't like anything hampering my hearing when listening to equipment run.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jwp475
I would never pick a handgun over a rifle or shotgun for home defense.

I would and do

That's fine, but I still consider them compromise weapons. They are handy and concealable, which matter not at home. I'd rather take on bad guys with a rifle or shotgun, given the choice.

I've taken game with handguns from small all the way to Buffalo and I fail to see them as a compromise weapon. In the confines of my home they are fall superior in handling through and around doors. Easy to open doors with a handgun in the other hand at the ready, not as easy with a long gun

I've read the US Military is getting ride of all M4's and replacing them with Sig365's. I'm not sure what hunting game has to do with anything, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

WTF would military weapons and tactics have to do with home defense? JFC. Some of the people here....

WTF would shooting buffalo have to do with home defense? JFC some of the people here...

Effectiveness of well-placed shots with a handgun. I can hit a half-liter water bottle at will with several handguns. I am guessing you need a shotgun to do that.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I'm all ears.

Or you could use a lighter, smaller revolver that kicks less and that is just as effective, and the ammo is cheaper.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

"BtailHunter"...modern way of spelling "beta".

Whatever you say boomer.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would never pick a handgun over a rifle or shotgun for home defense.

I would and do

That's fine, but I still consider them compromise weapons. They are handy and concealable, which matter not at home. I'd rather take on bad guys with a rifle or shotgun, given the choice.

I've taken game with handguns from small all the way to Buffalo and I fail to see them as a compromise weapon. In the confines of my home they are fall superior in handling through and around doors. Easy to open doors with a handgun in the other hand at the ready, not as easy with a long gun

I've read the US Military is getting ride of all M4's and replacing them with Sig365's. I'm not sure what hunting game has to do with anything, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

WTF would military weapons and tactics have to do with home defense? JFC. Some of the people here....

WTF would shooting buffalo have to do with home defense? JFC some of the people here...

Effectiveness of well-placed shots with a handgun. I can hit a half-liter water bottle at will with several handguns. I am guessing you need a shotgun to do that.

Following your lack of logic, you'd pick a handgun over say an AR when the nips are in the wire?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

OK, beta.

Go out and get your manbun readjusted and get yourself new open-toed sandals to match your yoga pants.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

We all have M4s and the newbs have AR-15s. The difference between us and YOU...we know which weapons to use for each mission or job.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VinceM
I moved to FL recently and I'm going to get a pistol,and hopefully carry permit. So what do you recommend ? I'm not looking for a huge cannon and snake shot is something I have in mind ,so I was thinking revolver.

Sorry late to the discussion.

Since you’re new to handguns there are 2 (two) things of utmost importance.

1. Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, and Shoot some more.

2. Handload SO you can keep shooting.

I know handoading is a Greased Slide.....
The more you load, the more you SAVE so you can Shoot more. SO you load more
SO you can Save more SO you can Shoot more ........... Get the idea?
I’m not trying to make you laugh. It works that way.

Now back to the most important thing that is SHOOT !! since you are new to handguns.

I’m sorry, it’s late and I haven’t had time to read all responses.
I hope I am not Redundant.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/09/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by dla
I can't believe anyone recommending a revolver - this is not 1975......

He said he was leaning towards a revolver.

He is a total novice and should be steared in the best direction

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by dla

He said he was leaning towards a revolver.

Forgive Dal, like most he worships in 9mm Luger faith like most modern followers. Might want to look at somewhat neglected Charter Arms. They make proletarian revolvers in .38/.357, 9x19, .40, .44 Special,.....Nothing wrong with used to save money, just avoid 9x19R because ammo will be extremely difficult to find.

Charles Bronson called from the grave, he wants his pistol back.. WTF charter arms???

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla

It sounds like the OP is at least somewhat familiar with handguns and guns in general....so this may be a moot point for his specific situation but for brand new self defense concealed carry holders....I ALWAYS recommend a DA revolver of some sort. The main reason is because I have found it gives people MUCH more confidence in walking around in their daily lives with a loaded gun, without fear of it accidentally going off. DAO pistols like the Sig P365, Glocks and such with their trigger system serve the same purpose---but for whatever reason if a person can see the mechanics of how a gun works they're more likely to confidently carry a condition one handgun. Maybe this is not what others have found, but it is my experience with this matter.

I'd never recommend a single action pistol with an external safety like a 1911 to a newbie. I know that's not in the scope of your comment or the OP's post but I do feel it is important to mention.

As for .410 handguns.....fück you guys. I like 'em for snakesfrown

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VinceM
I was told if you wanna shoot snake shot the autos are ng ???

I do have a nice load of .410 ammo

Tell me about the non exposed hammer revolver ?

There is absolutely no advantage of a revolver over a quality semi auto in any circumstance for what you are wanting

Yeah there is. Maintaining close control of your fired cartridge cases if you S, S, S.

Last edited by AB2506; 11/09/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'm all ears.

Or you could use a lighter, smaller revolver that kicks less and that is just as effective, and the ammo is cheaper.

I used a .357 with shot shells for a couple of years and it generally took 2 shots for each rat. Took a few with 10mm shot shells I made as well but those weren't robust enough to handle the jarring....better to go with the .357 capsules. Some of the second shots could be blamed on shot placement but in a bouncing tractor it's dicey......

This is real world dangerous game (historically consider plagues...rats are far more dangerous than cape buff or brown bears).......there's no replacement for displacement!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,459
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.