Home
Posted By: cra1948 How many here shoot... - 01/15/21
in some kind of organized discipline (IDPA, USPSA, Bullseye, Handgun Silhouette, SASS etc) regularly? Just kind of wondering, who shoots what and how often...
Posted By: SS336 Re: How many here shoot... - 01/15/21
Shoot in a bullseye league in the winter and bowling pin shoots twice a month in the summer. Before I moved here shot rimfire silhouette every month for a number of years. They are all fun and help keep your skills up.
Have never done any of the run and gun sports because... well, I don’t run very well anymore. 😁
I shoot run and gun events. Similar to a biathlon, you carry your rifle, pistol, ammo and water and shoot events along a 5k, 10k, or 15k trail course. Running time is typically half your score. There's no 300lb recoil-proof behemoths and $4000 pistols in this event. Money can't buy you win. Your gear and body is tested in rain, mud, snow, wind, heat and cold. There's not even divisions, except for the rare male/female. No age groups, no classes. It's pretty much anything goes, but you have to carry it, including water. You run out of ammo, you lose.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: How many here shoot... - 01/15/21
That sounds pretty cool 10mm. And humbling.
CWH2, that sounds exactly like your kind of fun
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: How many here shoot... - 01/15/21
I used to shoot IPSC twice a week, and NRA Action shooting another night, so I was shooting 3 times a week, and did so for nearly 20 years. Burnt myself out. Met a lot of nice and good people along the way, and had a lot of fun, but eventually, I just burned out. I wore out a lot of good equipment along the way, too.

Sure was fun, though. I made it to low "A" or high "B" class, most of the time. It finally got to my hands and wrists and the rheumatologist told me to quit. That's why I shoot so much rimfire now, I can still shoot, but it's easier on my hands.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: How many here shoot... - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I shoot run and gun events. Similar to a biathlon, you carry your rifle, pistol, ammo and water and shoot events along a 5k, 10k, or 15k trail course. Running time is typically half your score. There's no 300lb recoil-proof behemoths and $4000 pistols in this event. Money can't buy you win. Your gear and body is tested in rain, mud, snow, wind, heat and cold. There's not even divisions, except for the rare male/female. No age groups, no classes. It's pretty much anything goes, but you have to carry it, including water. You run out of ammo, you lose.

That sounds like something I could go for. I've never seen anything like that anywhere around where I've been.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: How many here shoot... - 01/15/21
Reason I started this thread, I was just getting my stuff together for tomorrow's IDPA match and I got curious. I've been on here for just over 14 years, but only see incidental mention of what anybody does...thought it might be interesting to find out.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: How many here shoot... - 01/15/21
Never, not ever.
Went to a couple Turkey shoots.

There is a pistol league a few miles away,
I should try it.

But it's probably boring as crap.
I really don't enjoy waiting,
on anything.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: How many here shoot... - 01/15/21
I shoot a .22 pistol bullseye league in the spring and fall. I was shooting an Action Pistol league every other Friday night in the winter with my Glock 19, but ammo is so scarce/expensive I had to put that on the back burner.

Ron
Posted By: ironbender Re: How many here shoot... - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
CWH2, that sounds exactly like your kind of fun

LMAO. It do.
Posted By: deflave Re: How many here shoot... - 01/17/21
I normally shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge.

Some 3 gun but not competitively. Just for practice. Same for Sporting Clays.
Posted By: goalie Re: How many here shoot... - 01/17/21
I got my neighbors to start making the local USPSA match a regular thing.

It's been fun, and got a couple of the guys to realize that they were neither as "good" nor as "fast" as they thought.

I used to shoot high power, but life got in the way.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: How many here shoot... - 01/17/21
Not me. Too much drama when more than 2 people are together, and I an not a competitive person anyhow.

I much prefer to do my own thing and not have to deal with range officers, bad gun handling or people in general. I deal with people enough at work.
Posted By: JDinCO Re: How many here shoot... - 01/17/21
Am the same way, but stuck at a club range, though am listed as a Range Nazi myself.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: How many here shoot... - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Not me. Too much drama when more than 2 people are together, and I an not a competitive person anyhow.

I much prefer to do my own thing and not have to deal with range officers, bad gun handling or people in general. I deal with people enough at work.

Wise man.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: How many here shoot... - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by T_Inman

AND you don't have to worry about other people seeing how you shoot!
I've shot in five or six matches of various kinds in the last forty years.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: How many here shoot... - 01/17/21
I use to shoot CMP matches until I got too old and gimped up to get into positions. I shot bulls eye when younger and then Action pistol. Then took a crack at cowboy matches but SASS decided to have too many rules. Now I only go to the range myself and shoot handguns and various rifles for the fun of it.

There is a Competitive Shooting forum on here.
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: How many here shoot... - 01/17/21
Shot IPSC for 20 years, then moved to ICORE, which is all revolver action shooting, competed with that until 1996, then just stopped competitive shooting. Last year jumped back in for grins, just had the urge to shoot again, and got into Steel Challenge shooting. Shot in the original World Championships back in 84 and 85. For an old guy it's a great format, not running, jumping, or shooting 30+ shot Strings. Simple stand up draw and shoot five different stages, all with five targets, five times each as fast as you can. Been good to get back into competitive shooting again. I'm usually the only revolver shooter, most all the young guys are auto shooters. I manage to always place in the top five among handgun shooters, so it makes me grin to get good feed back and heckling from the young guys about an old fart shooting a dinosaur six shot revolver and beating them.
Did IPSC for 5-6 years then fell into High Power. Stuck with that about 15yrs until the spine issues took all the fun out of it.
Now I'm just one of the old farts at the range. Still shoot a lot, mostly pistols, love 1911's.
I got the most enjoyment out of helping the Jr shooters get started. Some went on to be great shooters.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: How many here shoot... - 01/19/21
I shoot in at least one USPSA match and one steel challenge match a month. Most times, I am shooting in 2-3 USPSA matches per month. We have a great local club and each of the members are good friends. There are also 4 other clubs within 2hrs drive. We coordinate with a few of them so that our matches fall on different Saturdays. And, there's about 15 of us that usually rotate around to all of the matches and support each other's clubs. These are all level 1 matches and I usually RO 2-3 level 2 matches a year and shoot in them as well.

I do it because I a) love spending the time with my sons doing something fun together and being competitive with them, b) enjoy the camaraderie with the friends I've made in the clubs, and c) like the trigger time. It's a lot of fun.

Participation has been down by about half over the past 6 months, mainly from newer shooters. They just can't find enough ammo to participate (or afford enough of it). Or, they are trying to hold on to what ammo they have. We used to average around 65 people at our local USPSA match each month and about 50 at steel challenge.

Have already shot two USPSA matches this month and have a steel challenge match this coming Saturday.
© 24hourcampfire