Home
Picked up a gen 4 Glock 22 Friday in a trade, it was a police trade in that appears unfired and looked brand new all around. Got it with 6 magazines and it has the Glock factory night sights. Took it out quick and shot a few magazines of random fmj's I had laying around at some cans and like it. Always good to have another caliber on hand

So sorry for your loss.
Wasn't a loss in my eyes, I traded an sks for it. I know some folks dont like glocks but they fit my large hands well and I'm able to shoot them much better than some other handguns
Posted By: viking Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/08/21
Sweet.

I agree that having caliber options is a good thing these days.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/08/21
I've got a 2nd generation G22 that gets carried and shot more than any handgun I own.
Sharpshooter97: Many years ago, on this forum, and other venues, I began espousing that a Glock Model 22 in caliber 40 S&W with high capacity magazines, night sights and top quality hollow-point ammunition was about the top urban battle pistol ever devised!
NOTHING has changed my mind since then!
I have carried Glock Model 22's (as described above) both professionally and privately for decades now and will do so for the duration.
ANYONE denigrating the Glock Model 22 is "out to lunch" (and thats the BEST thing I could say about them!)!
You did well in your acquisition.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: frank500 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/08/21
I was baited with five gallon buckets of 40 brass. Got a 5” M& P 2.0. 200 grain wfn just under 1100 fps times sixteen. I’m liking it
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter97
Picked up a gen 4 Glock 22 Friday in a trade, it was a police trade in that appears unfired and looked brand new all around. Got it with 6 magazines and it has the Glock factory night sights. Took it out quick and shot a few magazines of random fmj's I had laying around at some cans and like it. Always good to have another caliber on hand

I bought one of those a few years ago. Mine was in near new condition, too. Functions flawlessly. Great bargains, due to police departments switching to the Glock 17 in large numbers following a recent FBI report on the comparative effectiveness of 9mm vs .40 S&W.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/08/21
I'm not a .40 fan, but "cartridge diversity" isn't a bad thing when ammo availability is tight. Keep shooting!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/08/21
Hard to beat a 40 SW in a Glock platform 1 in pipe plus 15 rounds pretty comforting.
I can not believe anyone would get a loser like the 40 S&W. That is a holdover from the times when people did not know what real power is. Maybe it could be given to someone.
The only problem with the pre-Gen 5 Glock .40 S&W pistols is that they were based on 9mm pistols, which were modified to accept a larger barrel/chamber. As a result, the higher pressures of the .40 S&W bang them up and break them down faster than most other maker's auto-pistols in .40 S&W which tended to be designed from scratch with .40 S&W pressures in mind. For most people, that won't much matter (other than generating snappier recoil in pre Gen V Glocks so chambered), because few will reach the round count necessary for that factor to come into play.
Hard to tell the power of any caliber shooting paper. Shoot some steel plates and immediately you can tell the difference . Hasbeen
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/08/21
G22 is a pretty solid setup all around . Not too costly even in the current market , ability to be converted to multiple calibers easily (which could be helpful right now ) , millions of parts of needed , and although it is sometimes argued... the performance is there .

My old police trade in ended up morphed into a competition playtoy , it’s been a ton of fun
Posted By: Fotis Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/08/21
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

So sorry for your loss.

Pretty much. World is ugly enough without these hideous things. LOL

Sig baby! and Springfield!
I added a S&W model 4006 to my stable, while they're still available and cheap (paid $430 for a 98% condition one). It holds 11 rounds I believe. Nice part about it, is if it runs out of ammo in a gunfight, it can be thrown at the enemy as a 3 pound projectile!! LOL
Nice acquisition. I've got 9mm and 357 Sig barrels for my Gen2.

I've currently got a 6" 357 Sig barrel in mine. 2230 fps with the Underwood 65gr load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sharpshooter97: Many years ago, on this forum, and other venues, I began espousing that a Glock Model 22 in caliber 40 S&W with high capacity magazines, night sights and top quality hollow-point ammunition was about the top urban battle pistol ever devised!
NOTHING has changed my mind since then!
I have carried Glock Model 22's (as described above) both professionally and privately for decades now and will do so for the duration.
ANYONE denigrating the Glock Model 22 is "out to lunch" (and thats the BEST thing I could say about them!)!
You did well in your acquisition.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I'm not a .40 fan, but "cartridge diversity" isn't a bad thing when ammo availability is tight. Keep shooting!
I'm a fan of having extras on hand. Seems that even during the ammo shortages aside from the current nonsense I used to always see 40 on the shelves
I like .40...of course I'm a .41 Mag fan as well.

Mike
Posted By: Slavek Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/08/21
Originally Posted by viking
Sweet.

Only if one already has ammunition for it. Ok, I suppose one could find ammo for .44 S&W or .455 Webley.
smirk
Posted By: Slavek Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/08/21

Congratulations. That is what I would buy today if I did not already own a handgun.
Originally Posted by Slavek
Sweet.

Only if one already has ammunition for it. Ok, I suppose one could find ammo for .44 S&W or .455 Webley.
smirk

I did have some 40 on hand or I wouldn't have gotten it, not a ton but enough that I can shoot it and keep the magazines full for now
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by Esox357
Hard to beat a 40 SW in a Glock platform 1 in pipe plus 15 rounds pretty comforting.

Pocket '66 Winchester wink

[Linked Image]
Buffalo Bore is saying that Glock .40's don't have a fully supported chamber - is this still the case across the Glock lineup with the newer Gens??
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/09/21
I don't have empirical evidence, but I think Glock made subtle changes over the years to improve it.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/an...ack-thereof-in-glock-40-caliber-pistols/
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I bought one of those a few years ago. Mine was in near new condition, too. Functions flawlessly. Great bargains, due to police departments switching to the Glock 17 in large numbers following a recent FBI report on the comparative effectiveness of 9mm vs .40 S&W.

I unfortunately missed that boat when the timing was perfect. Should have picked one up.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/09/21
few years ago, a bunch of police glock 22's and 23's entered arizona via calif on the surplus market.
when calif was going to 9mmm
a 22 basically a new gun with original factory grease in it could be bought for in the mid 2's.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Buffalo Bore is saying that Glock .40's don't have a fully supported chamber - is this still the case across the Glock lineup with the newer Gens??

Not a problem with the Gen 4.
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/09/21
I have a Glock 22 and I like it a lot when it's time to actually shoot something dangerous. I can tell you that using 165 grain hollow points produced quick decisive results on trapped hogs including some pretty big ones.
I actually have video of 40 vs 9 vs 380 being used on a big sounder, if somebody wants to post it for me.
Congrats on the new caliber.
Also is anyone running one of the lone wolf 9mm conversions in their 22? Seen to hear good things about them and planning to order one
Posted By: viking Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/10/21
I got them for a G35 and G27, Alpha wolf. Are they in stock?
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I was thinking of buying a used one as well but now I am wondering if the recoil will not be worth the effort to have a different caliber. Does the sig 229 have an unsupported chamber like the glocks did?
I got them for a G35 and G27, Alpha wolf. Are they in stock?

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/stock-length/lwd-229n
They are right from Lone wolf's website, they are low in stock on certain recoil springs. From what I've read they run quite well with just the barrel and recoil spring swap
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I've currently got a 6" 357 Sig barrel in mine. 2230 fps with the Underwood 65gr load.

That's a cartridge I've always been interested in but have never fired or seen one for sale. I may have to get one of those barrels and give it a try

I unfortunately missed that boat when the timing was perfect. Should have picked one up.[/quote]

Here too. And knew better.

40 S&W Glocks that cheap, everyone should have bought 2.
Don't have to like them.
Don't have to be able to shoot them great.
Bury it somewhere handy, clean the dust out of it annually.
If you ever reach for it, it will be your favorite in the whole world.

An insurance plan, with no renewal, and appreciating value.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/13/21
Originally Posted by desertoakie
I added a S&W model 4006 to my stable, while they're still available and cheap (paid $430 for a 98% condition one). It holds 11 rounds I believe. Nice part about it, is if it runs out of ammo in a gunfight, it can be thrown at the enemy as a 3 pound projectile!! LOL

I am a Glockboy have a few 22s
Absolutely nothing wrong with them

But also 4006 what a great awesome shooter
I also Love that 40

Hank
Posted By: viking Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/15/21
I went out and shot a few rounds yesterday. I started with the G44, because I needed to relearn my hold....

It seems the more thumb pressure I used the more centered my hits became, otherwise my hits were to the left.

So then I shot the 27,23 and 35. I prefer 180’s in the 27 and 23. 165 Fiocchi fmj’s are really snappy in those two. My 35 has a 3.5 ghost, slip on grip and a TLR 1 installed, it’s pleasant to shoot. I need to get a slip on grip for my small/thin Glock models for a fuller grip.
I went out and shot a few rounds yesterday. I started with the G44, because I needed to relearn my hold....

It seems the more thumb pressure I used the more centered my hits became, otherwise my hits were to the left.

So then I shot the 27,23 and 35. I prefer 180’s in the 27 and 23. 165 Fiocchi fmj’s are really snappy in those two. My 35 has a 3.5 ghost, slip on grip and a TLR 1 installed, it’s pleasant to shoot. I need to get a slip on grip for my small/thin Glock models for a fuller grip.

I haven't shot a 27 but I have a 26 and like the size for carry, I put a baseplate extension on my mags and get a better grip on it. I can't shoot the single stacks as well with my large hands I get a much better grip on a double stack handgun.

I just watched your video on youtube, impressive velocity to say the least.
Posted By: goalie Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I unfortunately missed that boat when the timing was perfect. Should have picked one up.

Here too. And knew better.

40 S&W Glocks that cheap, everyone should have bought 2.
Don't have to like them.
Don't have to be able to shoot them great.
Bury it somewhere handy, clean the dust out of it annually.
If you ever reach for it, it will be your favorite in the whole world.

An insurance plan, with no renewal, and appreciating value.
[/quote]

That perfectly describes my G22 and G27
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/16/21
I've had two Hi-Power's in .40 S&W. A Browning H.P. and a Fabrique National H.P. Both were traded or sold.
I shot only one of them and it was a dream - Perfect!

I also acquired two CZ pistols in 40 S&W. A CZ 40-P and a CZ 40-B. Both pistols were the result of a failed
joint-venture between CZ & Colt in 2006.

<> https://www.budsgunshop.com/images/11847.jpg <>

When I got my CZ 40-P, It just about replaced any and all other handguns I possessed, as my go - to handgun for
many years. As I'm now getting too old to play with guns - My CZ 40-P could well be the ONE handgun I would keep.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/16/21
Nice, 200gr XTP's at 1000-1050 fps over Longshot are a thing of beauty, deep punching, soft [think 45 ACP] shooting sombitches.
Got my Lone wolf 9mm barrel and G17 spring in the mail. Gonna go put a few rounds through it tommorow and see how it works.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/19/21

Been meaning to try some of the 60-100gr stuff for 40s&w in mine , for grins if nothing else . Probably real fun on little critters .

Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/19/21
Good for you! G22 is a great pistol! I have an OD green one myself.

Ron
Tried out the lone wolf barrel with a G17 recoil spring and it ran flawlessly. Put a box of FMJ'S through it and a few hollows points, the barrel is quite accurate as well.
Posted By: goalie Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/27/21
Took the G27 and G22 to the range today.

Came home and put a set of Dawson sights on the G22.

I'm going to see what shooting major power factor does to my USPSA scores, as my shooting with the G22 was pretty much the same as I shoot my 9mm USPSA limited gun.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nice, 200gr XTP's at 1000-1050 fps over Longshot are a thing of beauty, deep punching, soft [think 45 ACP] shooting sombitches.

I started buying some 40 handguns as they became less popular. I got a deal on a new m&p compact gen2 that shoots very well for around $300, an FN fnx new for $289, and a gen 3 glock 22 in excellent shape for only $229.

I recently bought 1000 200g unnamed 40 cal hollowpoints from rmr for my 10mms. When I received them they turned out to be gold dots and they seem to over expand at the 1200 fps 10mm speed. I usually reload 180 xtps over Longshot at about 1100fps for my 40s. I have played with 200s much in the plain 40 but I'm going to have to try these gold dots in them. I think they'll do pretty well at about 1050 and I've git plenty of Longshot.

I also bought a bunch of law enforcement trade in 50 round boxes of Winchester Ranger t 180g for about $17/50. Everyone going away from 40s worked out well for me. Another thing I like about 40s is that most fmj ammo is a flat nose. I prefer flat nose to round nose. Although it's not my preferred woods gun I feel better with a 40 full of 180g flat nose in the woods than I do a 9mm with 115 or 124 round noses.

Bb
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I started buying some 40 handguns as they became less popular. I got a deal on a new m&p compact gen2 that shoots very well for around $300, an FN fnx new for $289, and a gen 3 glock 22 in excellent shape for only $229.

I recently bought 1000 200g unnamed 40 cal hollowpoints from rmr for my 10mms. When I received them they turned out to be gold dots and they seem to over expand at the 1200 fps 10mm speed. I usually reload 180 xtps over Longshot at about 1100fps for my 40s. I have played with 200s much in the plain 40 but I'm going to have to try these gold dots in them. I think they'll do pretty well at about 1050 and I've git plenty of Longshot.

I also bought a bunch of law enforcement trade in 50 round boxes of Winchester Ranger t 180g for about $17/50. Everyone going away from 40s worked out well for me. Another thing I like about 40s is that most fmj ammo is a flat nose. I prefer flat nose to round nose. Although it's not my preferred woods gun I feel better with a 40 full of 180g flat nose in the woods than I do a 9mm with 115 or 124 round noses.

Bb

Dang BB, you're flush with 40 cal, you're not going to believe how much fun 200gr is at 1000-1050 fps, like a 45 ACP pluggin off, but dang do they penetrate, i'd hunt deer or any hog/black bear with my P226 and 200gr XTP's.
P Weed what kind of holster did you have for your cz40B?
Gunner how long is the barrel on a 226? How much longshot? Mb

Bb

Burleyboy, you sure worked your plan on a righteous .40 stable.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
P Weed what kind of holster did you have for your cz40B?
Gunner how long is the barrel on a 226? How much longshot? Mb

MB, iirc the barrel on my tacops P226 40 is 4.5 inches, start at 6 grains Lonshot under your 200's, workup in tenths with a chrono, i have used the Nosler as well as the XTPs, both fine bullets.

I just watched your video on youtube, impressive velocity to say the least.

Yeah, it moves them right along.
Was at the local Cabelas this AM they had 500rd bulk pack 40 SW 180fmj loads for 229.99 and tax. Around here that's less than fmj 9 mm on the better.prices.
Thanks gunner500. MB
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 04/01/21

Bb

Dang BB, you're flush with 40 cal, you're not going to believe how much fun 200gr is at 1000-1050 fps, like a 45 ACP pluggin off, but dang do they penetrate, i'd hunt deer or any hog/black bear with my P226 and 200gr XTP's.

The 200 xtp is my go to in my 10mms. I run them over Longshot at about 1150-1200 in the 10s. I like the 200 xtp at around 1150 because it expands well but not so much that it severely limits penetration. When I carry my 10s in the woods it's 15 rounds of 200g xtps. Sometimes I carry 15 rounds of 200g hard cast flat nose in Island Park because of all the grizzlies.

The 155 xtp at about 1400 fps from a 10mm might be a good urban carry load. Those things flatten out about like a quarter at 10mm speeds.

I think these 200g gold dots will work well at about 1050. I'll get some loaded in the 40s and run them through some water filled milk jugs. I need to find the speed where the expand to about .6" and they'll probably still penetrate well. I really like my 180 xtps over Longshot at about 1100 for an all around 40 load but it's good to have options.

I'm still searching for a good medium 270g gold dot 44 mag load. When I find it and get some loaded I'll switch the progressive to 38 special to do some 158g hpswc fbi duplicates and then I'll try the 200g 40s next.

Bb
Posted By: dla Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 04/01/21

I'm still searching for a good medium 270g gold dot 44 mag load.

Bb

17.5gr AA9, CCI350. Close to 1100fps from a 4" barrel. About 10fps extreme spread.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 04/02/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Was at the local Cabelas this AM they had 500rd bulk pack 40 SW 180fmj loads for 229.99 and tax. Around here that's less than fmj 9 mm on the better.prices.
Thanks gunner500. MB

Yo welcome neighbor.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Added a .40 to the fleet - 04/02/21

Bb

The 200 xtp is my go to in my 10mms. I run them over Longshot at about 1150-1200 in the 10s. I like the 200 xtp at around 1150 because it expands well but not so much that it severely limits penetration. When I carry my 10s in the woods it's 15 rounds of 200g xtps. Sometimes I carry 15 rounds of 200g hard cast flat nose in Island Park because of all the grizzlies.

The 155 xtp at about 1400 fps from a 10mm might be a good urban carry load. Those things flatten out about like a quarter at 10mm speeds.

I think these 200g gold dots will work well at about 1050. I'll get some loaded in the 40s and run them through some water filled milk jugs. I need to find the speed where the expand to about .6" and they'll probably still penetrate well. I really like my 180 xtps over Longshot at about 1100 for an all around 40 load but it's good to have options.

I'm still searching for a good medium 270g gold dot 44 mag load. When I find it and get some loaded I'll switch the progressive to 38 special to do some 158g hpswc fbi duplicates and then I'll try the 200g 40s next.

Bb

LOL BB, i see a lot of similarities here, i ran the 200gr xtp's to 1240 in my DW 10mm, backed em down to 1200 fps with Longshot, that fall proceeded to shoot a 20 inch 9pt in the liver at 41 yards to exit tight against off shoulder, he walked 20 yards and died, i figured the bullet would behave better at 12 even too.

An old Buddy sent me 1000 of the double cannelured 40 cal 180gr HST's, possible attempt by Federal to get them to hold together at 10mm speeds, that said, i loaded them in my 40 S&W, took a book load from Hodgdon's website with Longshot powder, the damn things ran 1200+ fps in my P226, i slowed them down to 1050 fps, you want to talk about a comfortable load to shoot in a 40? that one is King, haven't used them on anything alive, but hear the HST's are pretty good defense bullets, i think those 180 HST's possible beefed up for the 10mm will penetrate really well from my 40, especially slowed to 1050.
© 24hourcampfire