Home
Posted By: pullit Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/16/21
I have a buddy that is looking for a Stainless steel current production Colt 1911 in 38 Super. I told him I would see what I could find. Everywhere I have looked they are out of stock. Went to GB and they are about $400 higher than any dealer that was out of stock.
This is a great place to find help so I am asking, if anybody knows of a dealer that has one in stock, please let me know.
Most places showed a price of just under $1000 but nobody had them.

Thanks
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/16/21
Finding specific guns right now is a be-otch. I have had the itch for a cap & ball revolver and I can't even find those (or at least not the one's I'm lookin for). Like really... who is hoarding the cap & ball revolvers?
Posted By: old70 Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/16/21
If he finds one, he’ll probably like it. Recently found one at my LGS that I needed to have. Couple minor issues that a little work fixed and it’s now a decent shooter, but I’m still getting to know it. The mag release needed polishing to seat the mag smoothly, and I’ll do some trigger work. It seems to like the Berrys 124 gr RN over AA#9 in starline brass. Shoots to point of aim at 25 yards with the fixed sights.

Old70
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/16/21
I have a 2011 Colt that has been an amazing pistol; I would buy another on in a New York Minute!!

The finish is getting a bit rough on mine, but I love it. At some point I will refinish it in bright nickel, but for now I'll keep abusing the original finish.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Finding specific guns right now is a be-otch. I have had the itch for a cap & ball revolver and I can't even find those (or at least not the one's I'm lookin for). Like really... who is hoarding the cap & ball revolvers?

Convicted felons? grin
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by pullit
I have a buddy that is looking for a Stainless steel current production Colt 1911 in 38 Super. I told him I would see what I could find. Everywhere I have looked they are out of stock. Went to GB and they are about $400 higher than any dealer that was out of stock.
This is a great place to find help so I am asking, if anybody knows of a dealer that has one in stock, please let me know.
Most places showed a price of just under $1000 but nobody had them.

Thanks
$1000 is not a bad price. I would tell him to just get on a waiting list. If he finds one in person, he can just tell them and I doubt they'll be pissed right now, since it's very easy to get rid of any gun.
Posted By: pullit Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/17/21
thanks, was hoping someone knew of one somewhere.
He will just have to wait
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/18/21
Do Colt .38 Supers still have unsupported chambers?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by Borchardt

I didn't know that they did. I've read that the old ones headspaced on the rim while the new ones headspace on the mouth, which makes them more accurate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...my wife does it!
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/19/21

If you're asking about ramped barrels, no, Colt still isn't supplying ramped barrels for their .38 Supers. That said, they are at the very least better supported than, say, a Glock barrel, though the newer Glocks are said to be fairly good at support. I don't think I'd buy another Super, or 10mm for that matter, if it wasn't ramped. I had a Colt '70 Series Super for many years, and never had an issue unless I picked up some range brass, but I was pretty gentle with my loads, too. Same with my old Delta Elite, never had an issue, but I can see where it could happen.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/19/21

There is no lack of support to the chamber unless you're over-loading the cartridge...by a good margin. Keep in mind the proof loads for .38 Super is around 45,000kpsi...If you're loading cartridges beyond that, you should be looking at a different cartridge.

As for regular reloading... Colt's standard barrel has proven you can reload the hell out of .38 Super and really never run into any issues unless you do something foolish.
Posted By: frank500 Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/19/21
My super 38 Colt is an outstanding pistol. 150 grain cast Elco design, AA7 and starline plus p brass makes for a ten shot 357 magnum. Very accurate field pistol
Posted By: pullit Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/19/21
My buddy just called me a few minutes ago and he bought a Gold Cup version off GB. I did not ask him what he paid.....
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/19/21
Hell, it's just money. They'll keep printing more. Glad he got one for himself.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 04/20/21
I've been looking for another one for a year or more. I am patient, though, one will come along sooner or later. A buddy found one awhile back, and he jumped all over it. It shoots great (though not as good as my old one did). No matter, one will come along. The RIA I looked at somehow "felt funny", the tang wasn't shaped exactly like a Colt, and it wasn't comfortable. I guess I'll wait for another Colt.
© 24hourcampfire