Home
This is one revolver I'd love to see as a reproduction; especially in a two barrel set with skull crusher grip.

Uberti hasn't made a new revolver model in 20 years; it's time Uberti!!! This is what we want (or at least what I want).

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Some time back, in the 1990s, I think, there was a guy trying to get folks to put up a deposit so he could make a run of these. I was sorely tempted, but had four small children and a stay at home wife and so I passed. As nearly as I can tell, he never did get any into production and I never heard whether those who put money up got it back.

That being said, I'd love to own one in .44 Special, .44-40 or .32-20.
Yeah, there have been a couple of people who swindled people out of money on pre-orders. Which is why I'd like to see Uberti do it...they'll do it right, it will be cheaper than it ought to be, and they won't cheat anyone.
I'd like one also but I just don't see it they were such a precision parts that they actually just suck themselves together, really cool guns I had one in 44 rush and I wish I'd never sold.
A 3.5 or 4" barreled one in 44 Special would be AWESOME!!! I'd have to get one. +1 on Uberti making them.
+2 if modern materials could handle a modern load...
Originally Posted by Remington40x
Some time back, in the 1990s, I think, there was a guy trying to get folks to put up a deposit so he could make a run of these. I was sorely tempted, but had four small children and a stay at home wife and so I passed. As nearly as I can tell, he never did get any into production and I never heard whether those who put money up got it back.

That being said, I'd love to own one in .44 Special, .44-40 or .32-20.

I believe one of the guys trying to get the reproduction M&H off the ground was Dave Higginbotham. Sorry I don’t remember how Dave spelt his last name. But back before he had his untimely accident we were talking about it (he had a flyer) at a mutual friends ( primo SSA smith) wedding anniversary get together.
i would be game for one if it has a finsh like Turnbull dose
Originally Posted by saddlering
I'd like one also but I just don't see it they were such a precision parts that they actually just suck themselves together, really cool guns I had one in 44 rush and I wish I'd never sold.

I'd love one too, but I think it really just couldn't be made today. Well, not without costing $5000 or more.
I disagree...I think they can make it better than it was mechanically.
I think it would be cool if they’d sell multiple cylinder and barrel combos. You could have several different caliber setups for the same frame. Like the T/C of revolvers.

I’ve never looked really closely at one but the one in the pic is a beauty. Especially with the skull crusher and the extra longer barrel.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
You can disagree all you want, but per usual, you'd be wrong. The M&H design is way too complicated and Uberti knows better than to attempt it.
One in the picks is a Pocket Army!
One of the other of those guys, (Merwin or Hulbert, can't remember which one) was out west peddling the new revolver when he was killed by Indians. I think that was why they failed as a business.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
You can disagree all you want, but per usual, you'd be wrong. The M&H design is way too complicated and Uberti knows better than to attempt it.

I just went down the rabbit hole reading about M&H revolvers for a while and there’s a very good thread from a few years ago I’ve at THR. In it a guy who owns and shoots several and has worked doing prototyping and machine work in the past gives his take. And according to him, and I’m inclined to believe it having a decent amount of machine time under my belt and a good understanding of his explanation, it wouldn’t be any real trouble for someone to make. It was made on relatively simple machine tools 150 years ago after all.

He also goes on to explain what happened to the company that was attempting to make a replica and says that Uberti had been approached and showed no real interest. With CAS seemingly kinda stagnant or declining I imagine Uberti would be right to think there probably wouldn’t be enough in it for them to try it.

I still think they’re a neat piece of Americana and I’d love to have one.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I just went down the rabbit hole reading about M&H revolvers for a while and there’s a very good thread from a few years ago I’ve at THR. In it a guy who owns and shoots several and has worked doing prototyping and machine work in the past gives his take. And according to him, and I’m inclined to believe it having a decent amount of machine time under my belt and a good understanding of his explanation, it wouldn’t be any real trouble for someone to make. It was made on relatively simple machine tools 150 years ago after all.

He also goes on to explain what happened to the company that was attempting to make a replica and says that Uberti had been approached and showed no real interest. With CAS seemingly kinda stagnant or declining I imagine Uberti would be right to think there probably wouldn’t be enough in it for them to try it.

I still think they’re a neat piece of Americana and I’d love to have one.
I've owned at least two, that I can recall. They're neat old guns, but you can't remake every neat old gun out there. It took YEARS for Uberti to come out with an American, one of THE most significant pistols of the post-Civil War era. Uberti was already making the Schofield, New Model #3 and the Old Model Russian. Arguably the latter two were much less significant historically, than the American, yet it took YEARS to get them to do it. I could be mistaken, but I'm probably not. It would be a very expensive proposition, difficult and probably not sell that well. There are a lot of folks who don't even know what a M&H is.

IMO Cowboy Action pretty well has the bases covered. Anyone wanting to add a Merwin to their outfit can easily find a funked up one and have it re-worked into a shooter, or carefully shoot an heirloom-quality original. As in most things, GG is wrong here.

Merwin's are cool guns and despite what I said, I'd welcome a replica. It just isn't going to get done. Uberti is too smart.
I agree with you that they aren’t going to happen most likely Ethan. I just don’t agree with the commonly held belief that they’re too complicated to machine that most folks give as an excuse as to why they aren’t being reproduced.
I owned 2 the pocket army in 44 russian and a 32. The pocket army had an old holster with it and was supposed to have been carried by a Railroad Dick. I reloaded it with black powder and shot it some. It wasn't a great shooter and after a dozen shots the powder following bound it up! But was still a cool old pistol. Alot of the Merwins showed up in the south west. I know where a very nice pocket army is, a bud has it in N.H.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I agree with you that they aren’t going to happen most likely Ethan. I just don’t agree with the commonly held belief that they’re too complicated to machine that most folks give as an excuse as to why they aren’t being reproduced.

Agreed. There’s nothing that was machined in the 19th century that can’t be machined a lot faster, easier and better today.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Agreed. There’s nothing that was machined in the 19th century that can’t be machined a lot faster, easier and better today.
There may be many reasons not to, but among them is not that it's not doable. I currently work in a building with 40 massive 5 axis CNC machines, and its amazing what they turn out.

Not only can it be made, but it can be done with precision that M&H could have only dreamed of. The only issue, and it always comes down to this; is the economics. Will they sell enough to make it worth their trouble?
There may be many reasons not to, but among them is not that it's not doable. I currently work in a building with 40 massive 5 axis CNC machines, and its amazing what they turn out.

Not only can it be made, but it can be done with precision that M&H could have only dreamed of. The only issue, and it always comes down to this; is the economics. Will they sell enough to make it worth their trouble?

Yeah, the economics are really the only constraint. We can do machining that I, having worked around machining/manufacturing all my adult life, can hardly believe. It takes a bit of up-front investment before the first chip falls, however. Then there’s the business of putting them together....marketing, distribution and a whole bunch of “back of the house” business functions to go along with any new product or product line. There’s a ton of money invested before the first one is shipped and, honestly, how many people are going to buy them?
Yeah, the economics are really the only constraint. We can do machining that I, having worked around machining/manufacturing all my adult life, can hardly believe. It takes a bit of up-front investment before the first chip falls, however. Then there’s the business of putting them together....marketing, distribution and a whole bunch of “back of the house” business functions to go along with any new product or product line. There’s a ton of money invested before the first one is shipped and, honestly, how many people are going to buy them?
Yeah, that's why I'm hoping for Uberti rather than some startup. Just dreaming...I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

What is the allure?
For me it's the ability to shoot a great historical piece without guilt. Its a historical piece, no practicality intended.
Hollywood just needs to make a movie about some super kung fu MMA trained 19th Century Cool Guy kicking serious ass and piling up mounds of bodies using a prominently featured M&H. That would jump start demand and the increasingly bad sequels would keep it going long enough to sell a fair volume. Kind of like what "Jeremiah Johnson" did for Hawken rifles or "Dirty Harry" did for .44 Magnum Smiths.
That's how you do it. Show off all the features. Crush a skull of a bad guy with the skull crusher grip. Show the selective extraction of only empty cases, and then show off the barrel swapping capability. Do all that in a good western and the public will be begging for one.
This is one revolver I'd love to see as a reproduction; especially in a two barrel set with skull crusher grip.

Uberti hasn't made a new revolver model in 20 years; it's time Uberti!!! This is what we want (or at least what I want).

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/23/e0/1d23e0a9f1dd10ba9b936dc634b52e61.jpg[/img

revisiting an old thread

go to youtube and watch the video of the merwin & hulburt on Forgotten Weapons - after seeing that video I am lusting for one

drover
© 24hourcampfire