Home
Posted By: TheKid 10mm bullet - 07/29/21
I may have decided to keep my 10mm. Carried it to the river fishing the other night and shot a pig with it and it’s kinda growing on me.
I have a bunch of PowerPistol and Alliant data shows it to be a good match with 180s and 200s. I have a hundred and fifty or so cases as well plus plenty of primers.

I won’t shoot it a whole bunch and it’ll primarily be used for pigs and other varmints. Might shoot a deer someday if the situation arises but definitely no grizzlies or anything like that.

I shot the one the other day with an old Corbon factory load with a 180gr brass jacketed HP, performance was excellent. But I’m not into buying high dollar factory ammo. Should I get a box or two of 180 XTPs or maybe buy a Lee 175 FP mold for $28 since I have tons of wheel weights and already cast for everything else?

Need a set of dies too if someone has some they want to trade off.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10mm bullet - 07/29/21
Max load of AA-9 works great with the 180 & 200 gr XTP in the 10mm on hogs.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 10mm bullet - 07/29/21
The gun shoots the Hornady factory 180XTP load really well, I just can’t make myself pay a dollar a round for it. Not directly anyway, probably have $3 a round in them once I get setup to load. 🙄

The Corbon load I used the other day performed surprisingly well, nice size exit and lots of foamy lung blood. It shatter a couple ribs along the way too. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10mm bullet - 07/29/21
Nice ole S&W ! Is that a 1006 ???

Had one with my Hometown PD Logo I bought off a retired LEO friend. Sold it when I bought my first Glock 20 and they were cheap. I think I paid him $300 for it
Wish I had kept it. It was an accurate Gun with the old Factory WW Silvertip And Black Talon loading.

Also had some old Factory Norma ammo back then. It was the hottest Factory loading at that time.

Nowadays, the only Factory Load I buy is the Buffalo Bore 220 gr Outdoorsman Hard Cast Load.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 10mm bullet - 07/29/21
The 200 gr. XTP at 1250 fps is a great all around bullet.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 10mm bullet - 07/29/21
Yep it’s a 1006 with the adjustable rear sight. I bought it for $400 about 5 years ago. I have the original hair dryer grip for it as well as the Hogue on it in the pic.

Alliant shows 1250fps being no problem with a 180 and PowerPistol.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10mm bullet - 07/30/21
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yep it’s a 1006 with the adjustable rear sight. I bought it for $400 about 5 years ago. I have the original hair dryer grip for it as well as the Hogue on it in the pic.

Alliant shows 1250fps being no problem with a 180 and PowerPistol.

Great Hog Hunting Pistol ! I put a Hogue grip on mine too. Hated the factory grip.

Saw one sell at the LGS last year for $750.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 10mm bullet - 07/30/21
Originally Posted by MOGC

I run the 200 XTP in my 45 Super at 1285 fps. That is reliable problem solving firepower in critters-that-can-eat-me country.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10mm bullet - 07/30/21

Yep.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 10mm bullet - 07/30/21
I shoot 180 grain XTP's in my Glock 20, for years loaded with enough 2400 to get them up about 1300 fps. I replaced the recoil spring with (I believe) a 22# one. I always used new Starline brass, reloading it once with a Berry's plated 180 grain HP that shot about the same as the XTP's, then tossed the brass after that one reload.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: 10mm bullet - 08/01/21
A set of 10mm dies arrived today, sourced through Amazon two weeks ago. I opened the box to find they are used dies, but seem perfectly serviceable. The most used looking part is the paper documentation in the box.

Brass, 500 pcs came from Starline. About $100.
1000 180 gr Berrys FP from Natchezz will get me started.
There are 200 gr FP cast and 180 gr Hornady XTP inbound from Midway.

I can not help with powder or primers in these dire times.
Posted By: Sharpshooter97 Re: 10mm bullet - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by TheKid
The gun shoots the Hornady factory 180XTP load really well, I just can’t make myself pay a dollar a round for it. Not directly anyway, probably have $3 a round in them once I get setup to load. 🙄

The Corbon load I used the other day performed surprisingly well, nice size exit and lots of foamy lung blood. It shatter a couple ribs along the way too. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thats exactly the performance I'm looking for in XTP's. I've got a couple of boxes and hope to use it on a pig or two this winter. I picked up a Glock 20 this spring to carry as a hunting sidearm and can't wait to use it. 10mm quickly has become my favorite pistol cartridge.
Posted By: bulkie_roll Re: 10mm bullet - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

1000 180 gr Berrys FP from Natchezz will get me started.

Be careful with those .... only rated for 1,200 fps .

They now offer the " thick plate " ( T.P. ) version in 10mm that can handle 1500 fps .

I shoot the 350 grain T.P. in my 500 S&W for plinking rounds ( 2000 fps ) .
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: 10mm bullet - 08/02/21
I am only loading them to 1100-1150 at this point.

I have been shooting Berry's in the 41 mag for about 17 years. I did manage to strip the plating off of some 210 FP, at 1700 fps. I shot a few through the Marlin 1894. The recovered bullet lost the plating backward from the roll crimp.

1100 is fast enough for a range toy. If (Okay, knowing me, WHEN) I decide to push the gun, I will have the XTP and the Hunters 200 gr hard cast.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: 10mm bullet - 08/03/21
Tried a pile of different powders in my Delta Elite. Shooting cast bullets and 180 grain XTP’s. 231 and Bullseye were the preferred powders for the 180 gr cast and Blue Dot was the winner by a wide margin for the XTP’s.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 10mm bullet - 08/03/21
I have some 231 as well as some AA5 I can try if the PP doesn’t give satisfactory results. I’m really not looking for anything special, I run all my other handgun loads from 1000 to 1200fps and they do all I need done. If I can push a 180 to 200 grain bullet 1100 FPS or a little more with decent accuracy it should do all I need it to.

A poster here has offered me a heck of a deal on a mold that needs a little work so I’ll probably be heading down the cast bullet rabbit hole. I’ll report back when I get going on that. Still need dies and now I’ll need a sizer too, it never ends.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: 10mm bullet - 08/12/21
Did you find dies yet?

Amazon delivered on mine. 2 1/2 weeks earlier than promised.

I paid $120 for a set of new dies. Amazon delivered used dies (RCBS), but In these times I am not sending them back.

Note of interest. A 10 mm 180 grain Berry's FP at about 1100 fps will shoot through a 16 inch Douglas fir stump and end up somewhere in the woods behind. 16 of 16 times.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: 10mm bullet - 08/12/21
https://www.wideners.com/reloading-supplies/bullets/pistol-bullets/10mm-bullets

I check Wideners pretty often for cheap components in high quantity. Their prices typically arent too wild
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: 10mm bullet - 08/12/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Did you find dies yet?

Amazon delivered on mine. 2 1/2 weeks earlier than promised.

I paid $120 for a set of new dies. Amazon delivered used dies (RCBS), but In these times I am not sending them back.

Note of interest. A 10 mm 180 grain Berry's FP at about 1100 fps will shoot through a 16 inch Douglas fir stump and end up somewhere in the woods behind. 16 of 16 times.
Wow! I think the most I've ever paid for a set of new dies would be less than $40.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 10mm bullet - 08/13/21
I haven’t bought any dies yet but there are plenty available online. I’m probably going to settle for a Lee set. They run around $50.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: 10mm bullet - 08/13/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Wow! I think the most I've ever paid for a set of new dies would be less than $40.

I think even the RCBS 9mm carbide die set was north of $80. I considered that a great thing. I had been searching since March for 9mm dies.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die for my 41 magnum revolvers. And I have a few other Lee products in the loading room. But I just can not force myself to buy Lee sizing dies, seating dies, bullet molds, powder scales or measure.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 10mm bullet - 08/13/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Max load of AA-9 works great with the 180 & 200 gr XTP in the 10mm on hogs.

I don't know 'bout the "on hogs" part (we don't have any) but in my Blackhawk #9 works very well with both bullets.

Eventually I'm going to get around to trying the 135 grain Nosler and 155 grain Hornady for coyotes or the like. For shooting cast I switch to the .38-40 cylinder and, though I like IMR 4227, my gun seems more accurate with a slightly excessive load of 2400. So far. Got s' more 200 grainers sized to .402 coming from Beartooth .. eventually.

One thing I've noticed ... with the 10mm and middle/heavy bullets, I've lost the need for pushing the .357 mag hard except with light varmint bullets. Anything I need to lean on the .357 to do, the 10mm just does easy.

Tom
Posted By: Clarkm Re: 10mm bullet - 08/13/21
IMR book load:
7.8 gr 800X, 1130 fps, 32500 psi, 5"barrel, Rem case, Rem 2 1/5 pri, 200 gr XTP, 1.250"

My G20 load work up:
200 gr BB FP .658" long bullet, WLP, Bar Sto aftermarket barrel with better case support, 14.2 gr 800X made a small case bulge, stop, which is 82% over
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 10mm bullet - 08/27/21
i have been spending a lot of time in Grizzly country this year, as well as taking note that there has been an increase in people wanting ammo for the 10mm specifically for outdoors use/predator protection, so I loaded up some hard cast 200 grain truncated cone flat points at 1150. It seems to be the "sweet spot" as far as accuracy and controllability, recoil wise goes in the Glock.

Nice load. Tempted to pop a couple deer with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is pretty hard to beat the practicality of the Glock for a trail gun. As much as I love my .44s, the G20/21 is pretty darn sweet to carry, as are the compact versions.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: 10mm bullet - 08/27/21
Is that a Model 21 converted to 10 MM? Details about the adjustable sights?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10mm bullet - 08/27/21
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

You can drop a Model 20 conversion barrel in a Model 21.

Nothing to it.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: 10mm bullet - 08/28/21

Nothing to it.

OK IIRC that does not work in reverse though. Model 20 to 21?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10mm bullet - 08/28/21

Nothing to it.

Not sure. The one I did was a Model 21 I added a Model 20 10mm conversion barrel too. Glock told me everything else was the same, when I asked if it was doable.
I had no problems whatsoever.
Posted By: Sharpshooter97 Re: 10mm bullet - 08/28/21
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
i have been spending a lot of time in Grizzly country this year, as well as taking note that there has been an increase in people wanting ammo for the 10mm specifically for outdoors use/predator protection, so I loaded up some hard cast 200 grain truncated cone flat points at 1150. It seems to be the "sweet spot" as far as accuracy and controllability, recoil wise goes in the Glock.

It is pretty hard to beat the practicality of the Glock for a trail gun. As much as I love my .44s, the G20/21 is pretty darn sweet to carry, as are the compact versions.

The Glock 20 is my favorite handgun, it's hard to argue with 16 rounds of 10mm for the weight. Mine is quite accurate too
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10mm bullet - 08/28/21
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter97

The Glock 20 is my favorite handgun, it's hard to argue with 16 rounds of 10mm for the weight. Mine is quite accurate too

Yep. Was always my favorite carry gun when I used to bow hunt in bear country in the lower 48.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: 10mm bullet - 08/28/21

What powder is used in this load ? Very nice group
Posted By: MOGC Re: 10mm bullet - 08/28/21

Nothing to it.

IIRC the .45 barrel will not fit in the 10mm slide. A G21 slide and barrel will fit on the G20 frame but at that point might as well have a complete G21 pistol.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 10mm bullet - 08/29/21

Yes, It is a G21 .45 with a 10mm barrel. The rear sight is an LPA from Italy, the front is a Dawson fiber optic. I have used the LPA for a long time, and though normally not a fan of higher profile adjustable sights, it has held up through the years. The sight picture is nice and adjustments are positive.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: 10mm bullet - 08/29/21

Those look a lot like the ones I loaded this morning. 100 of the Hunters 200 gr cast TC over 8.5 gr Longshot. I also loaded 100 180 gr XTP over the same charge.

These are for the Kimber 1911. I am anxious to get to the range with them and see how they run. I sure miss the steel plates and target stands outside the front door.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 10mm bullet - 08/29/21
Love the cartridge and Dan Wesson 1911 platform, i use Longshot under:

140gr Lehigh Penetrators, 1550 fps.
200gr XTP's, 1200 fps.
200gr NOE hard cast hi-tek coated with .0.300" meplat and 22 BHN alloy, 1250 fps.

No handgunner by far, but those three should take care of about anything, bonus is all three bullets land within the group at 20 yards,
Posted By: bulkie_roll Re: 10mm bullet - 08/30/21
Glock G20 and G21 barrels will swap easily .... I own both ( gen 3's ) and are interchangeable .

I also have a G40 long slide and the gen 4 barrels will fit a gen 3 slide but not the other way around due to the re-designed dual rate springs found on the gen 4's ..
Posted By: bulkie_roll Re: 10mm bullet - 08/30/21
Also , try using the Hornady 180 grain HAP bullets for hogs / black bears .... A little extra penetration from that hollow point design .
Posted By: MOGC Re: 10mm bullet - 08/30/21
Originally Posted by bulkie_roll
G20 and G21 barrels will swap easily .... I own both ( gen 3's ) and are interchangeable .

I also have a G40 long slide and the gen 4 barrels will fit a gen 3 slide but not the other way around due to the re-designed dual rate springs found on the gen 4's ..

Will a G21 barrel swap into a G20 slide? I don't think it does.

Posted By: RickBin Re: 10mm bullet - 08/31/21
G20 and G21 barrels will swap easily .... I own both ( gen 3's ) and are interchangeable .

Will not. Wish it did, but alas ...
Posted By: TheKid Re: 10mm bullet - 08/31/21
Well I don’t know if the question of the best 10mm bullet has been definitively answered but the question of which one I’ll use has. One of our members made me a deal I couldn’t refuse on a Lyman mold for a 200gr flat nose. I’m sure it’ll work fine and once I find a sizer for my luber I’ll make it a point to find out how they work on pigs.

If I had to guess I’d say it’ll probably be a little better than the SWC I usually use in 38/357s, about the same as the SWC I use in 45 autos, and not quite as good as the SWC I use in 44 special and magnums. For the intended quarry I’m sure it’ll be great.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 10mm bullet - 08/31/21
I like the 200g xtp for an all around load. It shoots well for me over about 8.4g of Longshot IIRC. It's about 1150-1200 fps depending on the gun but seems to be the sweet spot for control ability and accuracy. Longshot meters well and gets good speed in all things 10mm and 40.

I shot a gen 3sf glock 20 for years. It was never as reliable as I wanted so I usually carried a 44 man gun or a 44 329pd when bow hunting in grizzly areas.

I had kkm make me a match barrel in 40 s&w long throated to shoot 180s and 200s out of 40 brass loaded to 10mm length and speeds. It worked great and I used cheep once fired 40 brass and loaded it once and let it fly. No more picking up brass.

After I bought my xdm 10mm I fell in love with it. It has been completely reliable and shoots great. I ended up buying another xdm 10 with the threaded barrel and cutout for a dot site so now I have 2 xdms. I sold my glock 20 but still have that kkm 40 barrel for one if someone wants it. It shot great, very accurate. I'm hoping KKM will one day make me the same 40 barrel for my XDM.

I recently cast some Lee 175g TL truncated bullets and powder coated them but haven't loaded them yet. I'd like to find a good 200g round flat nose 40 cal mold. Something with a wide meplat but not too wide to feed well.

I bought some loaded grizzly brand ammo that has a hard cast 200g rnfp that I like the profile of. If they shoot well I'll pull one and send it to NOE or somewhere to get a mold made.

Nosler makes a decent 200g jhp and 180g jhp too. I bought some 200g gold dots from rmr too but they seem like they really open up wide above 1100fps. For defense against people they'd probably be ok but for hunting or bear defense I'm sticking with the 200 xtp at 1150fps or so.

Bb
Posted By: MOGC Re: 10mm bullet - 08/31/21
Originally Posted by RickBin

That is what I thought. Thanks Rick.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 10mm bullet - 08/31/21
Originally Posted by gunner500
Love the cartridge and Dan Wesson 1911 platform, i use Longshot under:

140gr Lehigh Penetrators, 1550 fps.
200gr XTP's, 1200 fps.
200gr NOE hard cast hi-tek coated with .0.300" meplat and 22 BHN alloy, 1250 fps.

No handgunner by far, but those three should take care of about anything, bonus is all three bullets land within the group at 20 yards,

Just ordered another 500 of the 200 grain NOE hardcast hi-tek coated bullets from Montana Bullet Works, they'll send ya 500 of them for a 115 dollar slap of some plastic.
Posted By: bulkie_roll Re: 10mm bullet - 09/02/21
Originally Posted by RickBin

I stand corrected . Mind you , It’s been almost 20 years since I’ve fitted my Barsto barrels to my G20 and G21 pistols .

The factory G20 barrel WILL fit in my factory G21 slide , but the factory G21 barrel WILL NOT fit in my factory G20 slide . This is due to the barrel hood / slide recess interface . Both pistols are the 3rd generation .

The G20 barrel hood width is .425 “ .

The G21 barrel hood width is .480 “ .

.480” - .425“ = .0275“ difference on each side .

All other geometry is identical ( besides bore ) .

So if you have a G21, all you need is a G20 magazine , barrel and spring assembly to be able to toggle back and forth between calibers .

The factory G20 barrel functions flawless in my G21 …. All I did was change the magazine , barrel and recoil spring assembly . You have to remember that the extracting geometry on the case is different between the 45 ACP vs.10mm auto ( .395 dia. vs .348 dia. ) and therefore are different extractors . However , I never had feeding or extraction issues .

I then procured and fitted Barsto barrels to both guns . What is nice about these barrels : they are fully supported ( chamber ) , air gauged match grade , hand lapped and traditionally rifled so you can shoot lead . However , they come semi-fitted so you have to do the rest by milling the front of the locking surface ( on the barrel ) until it just drops in the slide . The level of fit desired ( match , factory , duty , etc ) will determine the amount of material that needs to be milled off .

The way I got the G21 barrel to fit on the G20 slide is to remove that .0275” off of each side of the G20 barrel hood width … Fits like a glove and is 100% safe and reliable .

© 24hourcampfire