Home
Posted By: Cariboujack Ruger Value Please - 09/02/21
I have a Ruger Flattoop, stainless 4-5/8" 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible model # 05243 I was at a small gun show this weekend, priced at $ 950. Didn't sell but I was surprised that at least 4 different people walked by and commented that was a good price. I believe I bought this as unfired. I know that Ruger shoots them at the factory but it doesn't appear to have been fired anymore than that. Comes with the box and paperwork, both cylinders, lock, etc. Has the white Ruger grips. I can't find one for sale on the internet so it's hard to know for sure. Anyone have an idea of the current value? It's sat in my safe long enough. Actually forgot I had it.
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/02/21
Is that the flat-top model? I would bet its worth $750-850.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/02/21
Sorry, yes it is, I'll make that correction.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/02/21
$750 range in my opinion
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/02/21
Going by recent sales on gunbroker it could easily be worth over $1,000 but prices are quite varied.

Search for completed auctions "ruger flattop": https://www.gunbroker.com/Pistols/s...Price=9999.99&Sort=5&PageSize=96
"Ruger Flat Top" : https://www.gunbroker.com/Pistols/s...Price=9999.99&Sort=5&PageSize=96

A new blued 357/9mm went for $1,175 but a used one in the box went for $792.
A new SS 357/9mm went for $1,301.
A new SS 45 Colt/45 ACP went for $1,075.
A used SS 45 Colt/45 ACP went for $1,105.

Plus the buyers were willing to pay shipping and sales tax on top of those prices.

You know as well as anybody it really depends on the vagaries of the buyers. Folks might recognize a good deal but not want that particular model or not have the money - or these days not have any ammo to shoot in it. That seems to be what's holding back a lot of handgun sales even more than the current market. I have a SS Flattop .357/9mm, also bought as "unfired" that I'm going to put on the table at the upcoming Nampa show. Had originally thought to price it to sell at a good $100 below what you were asking but after doing a bit more research that's going to be revised upwards. Maybe throw in a box of 9mm factory ammo for another $50. wink

Much prefer to sell it in person instead of shipping but looking at those prices for .357/9mm convertibles on gunbroker it might be worth it.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/02/21
I may have to try the Nampa show again. I've gotten fed up with the Lewis and Clark folks. They only think about themselves. I hate when there's something else going on and ties up the parking lot (typically) or they arbitrarily decide to move the show to the horse barn, or whatever. Now they try to get away with putting people up stairs. Last show I was at everybody up stairs left, because most people were in too big a hurry to get to the floor. The show I was at was at Caldwell, (Amereaux's deal) they advertised over 200 tables and got maybe 100, and a big share of those had no guns at all. I plan on doing the Marsing show which is small but get's a good turn out. I've got friends coming into town on the days of the Nampa show so that may not work out. Hope you have a good show.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/02/21
Leanwolf warned me about them putting folks up on the mezzanine level, I'm going to call today or tomorrow and make sure I get a table on the floor. Or my money back.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/02/21
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I have a Ruger Flattoop, stainless 4-5/8" 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible model # 05243 I was at a small gun show this weekend, priced at $ 950. Didn't sell but I was surprised that at least 4 different people walked by and commented that was a good price. I believe I bought this as unfired. I know that Ruger shoots them at the factory but it doesn't appear to have been fired anymore than that. Comes with the box and paperwork, both cylinders, lock, etc. Has the white Ruger grips. I can't find one for sale on the internet so it's hard to know for sure. Anyone have an idea of the current value? It's sat in my safe long enough. Actually forgot I had it.

Real value is $675+/-25. This is a price at which this gun would actually sell instead of being a "table dressing".
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/03/21
Hang tough on the $950 or be ready to lower it a hundred if you really want to move it badly. I don't think you're far off on the price. Pay no attention to the Euro Chick wannabe running its mouth.
Posted By: vixen Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/03/21
People like to make conversation at Gun Shows and will comment lots of times. I have heard that its a good price millions of times and they really aren't interested. When they get out the cash is the only thing that matters.
Posted By: JCS271 Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/03/21
The $950 seems about right......

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUKNVB-44X
Posted By: smallfry Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/03/21
Dang I have one of the 4 5/8” 44 spl flattop SS and 4 5/8” 357/9mm flattop SS never been fired and only looked at twice grin. Didn’t know they were that high.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/04/21
Originally Posted by smallfry
Dang I have one of the 4 5/8” 44 spl flattop SS and 4 5/8” 357/9mm flattop SS never been fired and only looked at twice grin. Didn’t know they were that high.
He is giving you false hope, MSRP is price manufacturer thinks a product should cost which is meaningless, because nobody pays MSRP. The only exceptions are products in very high demand with not enough product to satisfy the need. This is not the case with Ruger single-action revolver of this type. It is different with guns like: Great Western (of Hollywood fame), Ruger Single Action Old Army,......because these guns are no longer made.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/04/21
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by smallfry
He is giving you false hope, MSRP is price manufacturer thinks a product should cost which is meaningless, because nobody pays MSRP. The only exceptions are products in very high demand with not enough product to satisfy the need. This is not the case with Ruger single-action revolver of this type. It is different with guns like: Great Western (of Hollywood fame), Ruger Single Action Old Army,......because these guns are no longer made.

Dipschitt. Seriously doubt you even own a gun.

Probably not allowed to in whatever Commie schitt hole you reside in.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/04/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Hang tough on the $950 or be ready to lower it a hundred if you really want to move it badly. I don't think you're far off on the price. Pay no attention to the Euro Chick wannabe running its mouth.

Yep. All Quality Guns are bringing premium prices right now.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/04/21
Ok, I was a little low as suggested by Desertoakie the gun is worth about $750. There is some great buys out there. A stainless Ruger Old Army .44 7,5" in yellow and black cardboard box sold at American shop for $850. This was an excellent buy for gun that does not require any paperwork to own. Patient will be rewarded, those in hurry will get screwed. If you want to laugh check out site called GunBroaker and see what some stupid people are paying to guns.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/04/21
Like everything else, it’s worth what you can get. I might pay $950 if in the right mood. You’ll just have to wait for the right person to get your price. Never sold at a gunshow. I’d imagine you’d get a lot of folks trying to lowball you so they could make money on your stuff themselves.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/05/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Like everything else, it’s worth what you can get. I might pay $950 if in the right mood. You’ll just have to wait for the right person to get your price. Never sold at a gunshow. I’d imagine you’d get a lot of folks trying to lowball you so they could make money on your stuff themselves.

It's pretty easy to tell what they have in mind. The majority are buying to use and don't even dicker. You know what the guys that are trying to beat you down have in mind. They are wanting to make some money.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/05/21
I like something you said to me at a gunshow last year about your response to the non-serious negotiators.

"Will you take $X for it?"

"Are you making a cash offer or just taking a survey?"
Posted By: hookeye Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/05/21
Real vs perceived value.

There are fake bidders on auction sites.
But some crazy bids are legit.

Somebody wanting a rig, nay be tired of looking, or want it as a special gift.....so price may not be an issue.

Can get MSRP or over, sometimes

Hunting season around the corner, good hunting rigs will bring top dollar now.

I hit several shops often, and one is stupid high priced, in a lesser money area. He moves stuff, slowly. Evidently his business model works for him.....hes still open.

Another shop used tp be pretty reasonable. But w new owner its not got as many deals as it used to.

Gunshows local have been insanely high. Selection sucked too.

Its been a shiddy year to shop
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/12/21
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Leanwolf warned me about them putting folks up on the mezzanine level, I'm going to call today or tomorrow and make sure I get a table on the floor. Or my money back.

They put me on the mezzanine at the Boise show in Nampa this spring. Then they told me to go out and come in the other door which was locked. Then they locked the fence and I was trapped. I called and they said I'd have to wait a while to get let out because the show was starting.

Later they came by my table and said I needed to take the 2 tables on either side of mine. I said I didn't want them. They insisted and said if i wanted to do their shows I'd play by their rules. They had about 8 400 pound people on the 2 tables behind us. We couldn't stand behind are own tables because they were backed into them. They also kept letting their friends in between the tables. I figured out later it's because they were stealing from mine.

It was just me and my 9 year old autistic boy so we couldn't watch 3 tables. We were getting robbed blind. Thousands of primers disappeared. Ammo and bullets went missing. No guns were stolen though.

I got pissed and started packing up at 3:00 on Saturday. A grunt came by and said I couldn't leave early and that I had to stay both days. I said the hell I do, I'm leaving now and if anyone tries to stop me they better be ready for a fight. I was not happy at that point.

The show was poorly organized, poorly staffed, and we were given no info on set up, parking, etc. Most of all it sucked being up in the mezzanine. I hadn't done a show in about 10 years and I remembered why. The 2 guns 8 sold I nearly gave away and lost money on them but both the guys were good guys and appreciated the deal and I didn't have to pack them back out.

Several other dealers told me I priced my ammo and primers too low. I said I wasn't going to gouge anyone more than that. They then sent friends over to buy my stuff and they marked it up on their table. I told them no need to be sneaky I'll make you a deal on all of it.

Bb
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/12/21
"First day of the show today" report.

They didn't put anybody up on the mezzanine, I don't know the reason for doing that this spring but suspect it was to do the social distancing thing while still getting a full 400 tables inside. Last year they had increased the aisle width quite a bit in the show in the horse barn (aka Sport Center) but that one never takes up more than 2/3 of the floor space in normal times. Tables and aisles were at their usual separation today.

Parking was the usual behind the Idaho Center, no hassles there. I had sent in my check to reserve a table on July 26, when I went to get my table assignment Friday they had my name on the list but asked me which table I wanted out of several still unassigned. I mentioned a teeny bit peevishly the reservation from over a month ago and the lady said they had to put The Usual Dealers in their normal spots, then everything else was up for grabs. No big deal, I got a spot n the very middle.

Slow start to the day and not a great crowd overall but not bad, a lot of the guys think fewer people are attending because ammo is starting to come back. When I went to the last show at the horse barn the cheapest price for 223 ammo was $1.25 per round, most dealers wanted $1.50. Today the same big bulk ammo dealers were all asking 60 cents per round, some still wanted 50 cents/round for 9mm but a very few were asking 35 cts/round. Still nowhere near pre-SHTF prices but they are trending down.

Almost no primers were available and what was available was old - like the white and red CCI boxes from the 1990's old - and still priced at $125/1000. I had brought 4 bricks of recent production Federal primers, 2 large rifle and two small pistol but was in a bit of a quandary as to how to sell them. Couldn't bring myself to charge gouger prices but knew if I put them out for much lower the dealers would swoop in to buy them and then jack up the prices.

Instead I kept the bricks hidden behind my table. Since I had several boxes of bullets I offered to sell folks enough primers to load those bullets at pre-insanity prices of $3.50/100. Buy a box of 100 bullets, I'll sell you a box of 100 primers. No other primer sales offered. My bullet prices were low to mid level of what the online dealers are charging and they are all out of stock anyway but only sold one box of bullets + primers. Guess folks just didn't need the bullets I had.

Also brought my last 300 rounds of factory 223 ammo but didn't put any price tags on them. If a dealer asked the price it was the same as everybody else was asking, $12/box or 60 cents/round. If a non-dealer asked the price it was $10/box. No takers at that price so I guess folks have what they need.

Did sell a couple of revolvers and a Glock 44, a Swedish Mauser and a few bags of brass so managed to cover lunch. wink

Anyway, long day from 9 to 6 but a good day overall.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Ruger Value Please - 09/12/21
I ended up sending my Ruger Flattop 45 Colt/45 ACP with a friend to put on their table, as I had out of state company in. It sold. Got $1000, so guess I was in the ball park after all.
© 24hourcampfire