Home
I'm hearing that there may be an issue with Springfield Armory's new version of the Browning P-35 Hi-Power, the SA-35. It seems in two separate tests, two of these pistols had the same issue with an extractor failure after about 750-800 rounds of mixed manufacture ammo. Since this is supposed to have happened twice at about the same amount of rounds fired by different people with different pistols doing the testing, and not the same mix of ammo, it would seem to point to a gun issue and not an ammo issue. Initial investigation has not determined the cause other than possible carbon build up due to lack of cleaning, but that is not a final conclusion. It is not uncommon for new guns to have a "bug" or two that need to be worked out. That is why I am hesitant to be first in line for new production guns. I am confident that Springfield will remedy this. Just another reason to clean it after shooting. When they get it fine tuned, I want one.
Do you have links to these tests?
I'm thinking I'm just going to stick with my Browning.

Never a single jam of any kind.

[Linked Image]
That is what I read on another forum. Apparently Turkish BR9 is a good alternative.
I watched a few of those videos. They sure changed a lot of springs, I'd be really interested in seeing how well it performed stock.

Based on what I learned from the videos, the extractor was binding plus not holding the case securely.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

[Linked Image]

you ought to do something about that matte blue finish on that browning.....

Dang that has great polish and blue.
Apparently, it could use some better internal parts...

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index.php/springfield-sa-35-evaluation-analysis/
If it's not broken, fix it until it is.....
Originally Posted by cra1948
Do you have links to these tests?

https://gatdaily.com/the-sa-35-how-...p;utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12_9
Originally Posted by FreeMe

That is a comprehensive, eye opening report. Thanks for posting it!
Originally Posted by 1911a1

[Linked Image]

you ought to do something about that matte blue finish on that browning.....

Dang that has great polish and blue.

No kidding.

What can't?

Nice link and good info, but I wish they had stuck with a stock pistol for testing - they sell upgrade parts and couldn't help themselves. The trouble spot they identified, the slide serrations needing cleanup in the extractor channel, is not uncommon in HP clones and 1911's with external extractors. It's a good spot to check during a detail strip.

[Linked Image]

Not going to see nice polish and bluing like this on newly made guns because it raises per unit production cost. There are all kinds of cheap finishes out there. One of my pistols has something called Ceracote. It appears to be horrible finish that wears very easily.
The problem with this FN clone is probably some parts provided by outside suppliers. If I recall correctly Sig Sauer also had problems with firing pins in initial runs of the Model 365. I think they were made someplace in India?

Strange that the things he finds "wrong" with the SA35, he just happens to sell all of those parts.
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Strange that the things he finds "wrong" with the SA35, he just happens to sell all of those parts.

I noticed that too but it's pretty hard for him to miss, considering he pretty much has all the parts but frame and slide covered.
I do wish he would have ran the gun with the stock fire control parts for the whole test.
It's a chit test.

You can't evaluate a new product if the very first thing you do is "improve" it with aftermarket parts. I'm sure Springfield is pretty offended by his "test".

This is just his promotion of him as an "expert" and an effort to gain more exposure to his business. Nothing wrong with that, but there are many who don't understand that and see this as some sort of useful information; when in fact, its a cleverly disguised advertisement.

Personally I don't consider the guy much of an expert, and I often find myself in disagreement with his assertions or recommendations. But I'm certainly not offended by him promoting himself and his business; that's what you're supposed to do when you own a business.

Give it a little time, SA will work out the little bugs and this will be the best Hi Power ever. With modern manufacturing there's just no excuse for it to be anything but right. Patience is on your side.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
If it's not broken, fix it until it is.....

Careful, I think Glock has a patent on that concept wink
I do not understand infatuation with this clone. sleep If you really want one there are plenty of FN guns, FM military (first batches were basically FN guns), Indian military, Canadian World War II vintage, Hungerian, Turkish, Arcus of Bulgaria,...... confused I would take a look a Arcus Bulgarian military used. I do not know which model it was but they had forged slide, frame and no MIM or sheet metal parts.
Mine has a severe version of this problem - probably 1 rd in 10 from round 1 slips the extractor.

I'm going to fit a C&S extractor and if that doesn't work send it back.

The rest of the gun seems nice. It shoots and points well for me.
Extraction issues...

GR
Strange, when you consider that when Germany defeated Belgium the blueprints for the Hi Power were smuggled to Canada and the Canadian Inglis arms plant just tooled up to make them, and the Hi Powers they produced were perfect. But Springfield Armory, with access to the very same blueprints, can’t equal what Inglis did in war time?
TRH, the original P35 and Inglis pistols had an internal extractor like 1911s.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
TRH, the original P35 and Inglis pistols had an internal extractor like 1911s.

I thought it was retarded that they put a external extractor on it. Why Fuqk with a tried and true John Browning design ???

Some of the “modern” 1911 mfgs have done that too, I’ve noticed.

Think I’ll spend the money on one of the new Tisa Hi-Powers made in Turkey when I can find one. The 1911 of theirs I bought is an “original” John Browning copy. And works great!

."..why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."

Not anymore. Now it's covered up with wind turbines, affordable housing and pavement.
The problem with the Girsan Hi-Power is the importer. Girsan seems to do a good job with its products.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
It's a chit test.

You can't evaluate a new product if the very first thing you do is "improve" it with aftermarket parts. I'm sure Springfield is pretty offended by his "test".

This is just his promotion of him as an "expert" and an effort to gain more exposure to his business. Nothing wrong with that, but there are many who don't understand that and see this as some sort of useful information; when in fact, its a cleverly disguised advertisement.

Personally I don't consider the guy much of an expert, and I often find myself in disagreement with his assertions or recommendations. But I'm certainly not offended by him promoting himself and his business; that's what you're supposed to do when you own a business.

Give it a little time, SA will work out the little bugs and this will be the best Hi Power ever. With modern manufacturing there's just no excuse for it to be anything but right. Patience is on your side.

My take away was that he gives his seal of approval as a copy worthy of customization. Somewhere in his info, he mentioned that Springfield acknowledged and is addressing the extractor channel problem. If you ignore his high opinion of the SFS, it seems like he's actually pretty pleased with the SA35 and expects it to be a successful copy, albeit possibly with some minor negatives easily fixed.

Can't say I agree with everything he says either though.
Strange, when you consider that when Germany defeated Belgium the blueprints for the Hi Power were smuggled to Canada and the Canadian Inglis arms plant just tooled up to make them, and the Hi Powers they produced were perfect. But Springfield Armory, with access to the very same blueprints, can’t equal what Inglis did in war time?
The blueprints aren't just the specs for the pistols, but much more importantly, they also tell yo how to make all the fixtures for manufacture, and which machines those fixtures are to be used on. They also had essentially unlimited resources AND the guy who invented the thing.

SA is trying to adapt the design to modern manufacturing, and do so at a price point; which means they don't have an army of engineers and unlimited resources. They will get it, and it WILL be the best HP yet, just give them a little time.
I'm willing to give SA time to work the bugs out. I'll probably buy one in a year or two.
I installed a cylinder & slide extractor, spring, and pin in mine. No fitting seemed to be needed and it hand cycled correctly. Compared to the SA parts the spring rate is much higher, and the spring sits much better protected behind the extractor. The SA roll pin was also [bleep] - I'm glad I bought a spare.

I'll shoot it and report back.
The gun has been 100% reliable since replacing the extractor. I suspect the spring and/or the pin was the culprit but it may have been the extractor itself. A cheap fix either way.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
The gun has been 100% reliable since replacing the extractor. I suspect the spring and/or the pin was the culprit but it may have been the extractor itself. A cheap fix either way.

Thanks for the feed back
Would like to own a Belgian made Hi Power. I think Siaeve SP designed this gun off of Browning's patent drawings. John M. died before making actual blueprints. So they weren't able to work together for long. Browning's original design didn't use but one screw. It had parts where one would hold the other in. This gun's history is a really fun study. Politics and all. Didn't the French start the process with a request for a new pistol design? Sounds right. I can't afford an older production HP like I would like to have. They cost a stupid amount of money. Be Well, RZ.
I gave my Daughter a T model for home protection just a week ago. She is a classy Lady.
I installed a cylinder & slide extractor, spring, and pin in mine. No fitting seemed to be needed and it hand cycled correctly. Compared to the SA parts the spring rate is much higher, and the spring sits much better protected behind the extractor. The SA roll pin was also [bleep] - I'm glad I bought a spare.

Did you buy the Pin from C&S also??
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Sorry I wasn't clear. I used a Browning pin. AFAIK C&S does not offer a pin, but I could easily be missing something. The extractor and spring came together from C&S.

The SA pin was really garbage. I tapped it out with a punch and lightly grabbed it with pliers so it didn't fall in the floor, and it broke in half from that. There may have been some sort of flaw in the middle of the pin?
Originally Posted by Gibby
I gave my Daughter a T model for home protection just a week ago. She is a classy Lady.

The T-series Hi-Powers were the cream of the crop.
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Sorry I wasn't clear. I used a Browning pin. AFAIK C&S does not offer a pin, but I could easily be missing something. The extractor and spring came together from C&S.

The SA pin was really garbage. I tapped it out with a punch and lightly grabbed it with pliers so it didn't fall in the floor, and it broke in half from that. There may have been some sort of flaw in the middle of the pin?

Thanks for the info. I expect to take possession of mine on Saturday. Might not be a bad idea to have a C&S extractor in my parts bin and ready to go if problems arise. They're pretty cheap.
Hi Llama_Bob, could you please give links to where you bought your parts? I bought a SA-35 and have shot less than 300 rounds through it. I've taken it to the range 3 times & each time had 2-3 failure to eject jams. I've contacted Springfield Armory about sending it in for repair, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Honestly, I am skeptical about the repair as I have read about other people who have sent in theirs, but still have the same problem.
https://bhspringsolutions.com/index...with-extractor-spring-and-extractor-pin/
Originally Posted by Uncle_Boris
Hi Llama_Bob, could you please give links to where you bought your parts? I bought a SA-35 and have shot less than 300 rounds through it. I've taken it to the range 3 times & each time had 2-3 failure to eject jams. I've contacted Springfield Armory about sending it in for repair, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Honestly, I am skeptical about the repair as I have read about other people who have sent in theirs, but still have the same problem.

I believe he used this one from Cylinder & Slide

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0057
Thank you Dave! BTW, my wife is from Huntington, GO MARSHALL!
Thank you 257heaven as well!
SA should spend less time colluding with Illinois democrat lawmakers and more time on quality control.
Well, I sent my SA-35 into Springfield Armory on the 12th & got an email last night saying it will be back tomorrow on the 27th. They reported they polished the chamber, replaced the extractor pin & spring, but not the extractor. I'll go out to the range on Saturday & test it, then report back.
Well?
Sorry to be getting back so late! I have taken it to the range 2-3 times, shooting 1-2 50 round boxes each time. It has had 2 failure to extract issues still. Maybe over time it'll get better, as I plan on keeping it, but it's never going to be my "go-to" gun in any emergency!
Damn. That sucks. Looks like I'll be sticking with my real Browning Hi Power, which has never had a malfunction of any kind.

[Linked Image]
Well?
You've been waiting for a long time. LOL.
Originally Posted by Uncle_Boris
Sorry to be getting back so late! I have taken it to the range 2-3 times, shooting 1-2 50 round boxes each time. It has had 2 failure to extract issues still. Maybe over time it'll get better, as I plan on keeping it, but it's never going to be my "go-to" gun in any emergency!

I'd keep trying. From what I've read, the spring and pin that Springfield is using are inferior and can be upgraded. I'd figure on upgrading the extractor too. Pretty cheap process of elimination, considering the manufacturer's entry price. Of course, that list price is why I haven't been able to find one yet - outside of Gunbroker scalpers.
The main thing I got from the BHSS analysis and report was that due to carelessness on the part of Springfield, the slide serrations were "encroaching" slightly into the extractor groove and spring hole. If you are at all handy filing the little pieces of serration off would be a fun project (at least for me).

They also noticed the gripping area of the SA extractor was slightly less than that of the FN/Browning Hi-power extractor and that it was softer. They didn't consider the part defective, however, although they said it would probably degrade as the number of rounds fired increased. (So I don't know why they didn't consider it defective.) Finally, they thought the extractor pin would need to be replaced due to gradual deformation.

I saw nothing in the report about a problem with the ejector, so if someone (as above) reported problems with their's, I'd be concerned to find out what is going on.

Since if I bought one of these, it would be just for range use, none of the above would concern me greatly. But right now, they are going for over MSRP on Gunbroker, so I'll wait until the price drops to more than a little below MSRP. I can be patient.
© 24hourcampfire