Home
I am traveling to upstate NY next week by vehicle. I have a valid North Carolina concealed carry permit. I under stand NY does not recognize my NC carry permit (every other state I will be traveling through does recognize it). Question being: is it legal for me to possession my hand gun while in my vehicle (not concealed or loaded) while in NY?

Thanks for any info- I just hate traveling 650+ miles and not have a handgun
Do you really want to risk your freedom, and getting a felony arrest based on advice you were given from random strangers on the internet? Strangers that you know absolutely nothing about their background. I am sure the judge will take the fact that you asked Joe-Bob the retired school bus driver about if it was legal. Then you went forth and managed to end up in front of a judge with a felony charge. The " but a guy on the internet said XXX" will be an outstanding defense.

Maybe take the time to educate yourself. If you have further questions, contact the state police, or state attorney generals office and actually speak to a person that knows what they are talking about, document who you spoke to and proceed accordingly.

That is just my opinion though.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Do you really want to risk your freedom, and getting a felony arrest based on advice you were given from random strangers on the internet? Strangers that you know absolutely nothing about their background. I am sure the judge will take the fact that you asked Joe-Bob the retired school bus driver about if it was legal. Then you went forth and managed to end up in front of a judge with a felony charge. The " but a guy on the internet said XXX" will be an outstanding defense.

Maybe take the time to educate yourself. If you have further questions, contact the state police, or state attorney generals office and actually speak to a person that knows what they are talking about, document who you spoke to and proceed accordingly.

^^^This^^^
short answer 1. Mackay is right. short answer 2 no its not legal
Call a couple of NY state troopers from different parts of NY and ask them, particularly from the area to which you are travelling.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Exactly đź’Ż
Try www.handgunlaw.us. That being said, don't do it. Traveling through an unfriendly state and to an unfriendly state are two different things.
NO don[t even try it in NY.
Non-Residents
It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license.

You will be in a word of chit if you are even in possession of the handgun. Fuggh NY. Dont travel there if you can't carry.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-york/
Don’t do it. I know quite a bit about NYS gun laws. Don’t do it.
If you were traveling through New York FOPA should protect you from criminal prosecution, but that doesn't mean you won't be arrested and prosecuted. You would win, but it could cost you. New York prosecutors work for the government and get paid either way.

However, it sounds like New York is your destination and FOPA would not apply.
no handguns, period. how about a nontactical long gun, unobtrusively secured and unloaded in the trunk? i have a turkish-made, single shot, folding 410 shotgun and marlin papoose, semiauto, takedown 22lr rifle with seven round mags for such travels. both are easily secured in a locked, nondescript, smaller gym bag that is just another piece of luggage coming indoors with you.

not as handy as a handgun but these are examples of lawful firearms for a peaceable visitor and better than a sharp stick if shtf. if properly licensed, red squirrels are unprotected in ny and may be hunted at anytime without limit. also, give no probable cause: obey the speed limits and traffic rules, remove gun decals and bumper stickers, and ensure that all car lights are operative.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Non-Residents
It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license.

You will be in a word of chit if you are even in possession of the handgun. Fuggh NY. Dont travel there if you can't carry.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-york/

Yep. One of the many reasons I’ll never visit there.
Thanks for the info, I have done some research. I understand NY is not a "gun friendly" state. Yes NY is my destination state. I will not take my chances in a state that does not trust me with my handgun.
Merry Christmas to all
Exactly how was NY going to know you had a handgun?

Unless you needed it to defend yourself.

Then it’s “I lived, but may face jail.”

Or “Sweet, Brown. Alas we knew him well.” At your funeral
Dont even ask.
What a chit hole.

I guess the nearest Walmart being 40 minutes away isn’t such a bad thing.
Originally Posted by David_Walter

The OP was asking about the legality of it. That is how it was answered. What he should or shouldn't do shouldn't be discussed on an open forum.
Originally Posted by Brown_Bass_Hunter
I am traveling to upstate NY next week by vehicle. I have a valid North Carolina concealed carry permit. I under stand NY does not recognize my NC carry permit (every other state I will be traveling through does recognize it). Question being: is it legal for me to possession my hand gun while in my vehicle (not concealed or loaded) while in NY?

Thanks for any info- I just hate traveling 650+ miles and not have a handgun

My understanding is that you can travel through any state in the United States with your handgun, so long as you meet a Federal standard, i.e., it must be unloaded and locked in your trunk (likely in a locked box in your locked trunk). You cannot stop while traveling, other than to get gas, and you must be legal to possess it in the state that is your ultimate destination. I believe those are the rules, but check it out first.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

New Jersey and Maryland are likely poor choices to test the Federal law on this, also.
Originally Posted by JOG
If you were traveling through New York FOPA should protect you from criminal prosecution, but that doesn't mean you won't be arrested and prosecuted. You would win, but it could cost you. New York prosecutors work for the government and get paid either way.

However, it sounds like New York is your destination and FOPA would not apply.

Yep, it would not apply unless your destination state had no issue with your handgun. If you were heading to Vermont, for example, you'd be covered, but then again a Maryland, New Jersey, or New York cop could decide to arrest you anyway, in which case you'd have to argue the point in court. That law should have been given more meat, such as an automatic cause of action against the arresting officers if your rights under it are violated, even unintentionally.

There's this, too. Good points.
Originally Posted by UPhiker

The OP was asking about the legality of it. That is how it was answered. What he should or shouldn't do shouldn't be discussed on an open forum.

Why not?

For one, a traffic stop and subsequent illegal search.
Vehicle accident with injuries, vehicle contents inventoried by PD.
Vehicle theft.
Vehicle burglary.

So many ways one can get in a pinch...
Originally Posted by cra1948

Why not?

Because that would show that he had prior knowledge of what the law is and was intentionally breaking it.

Because that would show that he had prior knowledge of what the law is and was intentionally breaking it.

Ignorance of the law is hardly ever a permissible defense. Exceptions are where activities are legal in most state, but not legal in a few, and a person is a visitor in one of those few states. However, it's not a reliable defense even then, assuming the law has been adequately publicized.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

New Jersey and Maryland are likely poor choices to test the Federal law on this, also.

NYC even prosecutes copp from other states carrying, while on official duty in the city
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

OP said it's legal up to NY?
Maybe if he drives up I79 Through WV And PA.
Better not go through MD. They dont like handguns much.
I've committed felonies several times in my life, many were haveing
A loaded handgun in MD. Unintentionally.

There is a long N/S oriended mountain running to MD.
A nice dam sits on a big chunk of public access land on the east
side, just north of the border. It's much shorter for some to go into
MD, then come north. A friend called Maryland State Police and
explained, and ash if there was any problem with him transporting
a handgun.

"Its illegal, you are looking at time if caught"

Any way I can do it to be legal.

"Sure. Go the long way around and stay out of Maryland!"
Yep. Maryland isn't a handgun friendly state. I have a bunch, and shoot them regularly, but am careful about following the rules for transport (which frankly are kind of nebulous). If I were traveling north through Maryland to points beyond, I would lock them in the trunk, unloaded and with unloaded magazines stored separately, and select the shortest route. I-81 from Va and WV, through Washington County, MD, will only expose you to Maryland for about 10-15 minutes and then you're home free in PA. One slight advantage to it being a pretty narrow state. Just mind the speed limit, don't have a busted tail light, and don't do anything dumb to give the cops a reason to pull you over. Angling farther East to transit the state puts you into the snarl of suburban Maryland and a much longer transit time with increased exposure to possible hassles.

We're a Blue state, sure, but rest assured there are a lot of right-thinking folks here. We chafe at being controlled by the urban/suburban lefty attitudes that control state politics. Huge chunks of the state to the west and east of the Baltimore-Washington corridor are as Red as any state in the union, but without the population size to overcome the idiocy. (And no, I ain't gonna move to a Red state, because A) I can't afford to, and B) my life is here, and C) I'm getting too old to pull up stakes yet again anyway.
Gnoahhh you visit Baltimore often?
Lol
Oh hell no! I live 25 minutes from that schithole and haven't set foot there in about six years. Ditto DC.
© 24hourcampfire