Home
Posted By: GunGeek Your hiking pistol? - 04/25/22
I assume many others here get their exercise by walking in the woods/sticks. Just wondering...

What do you carry?
What kinds of critters are you carrying for?

Often I just carry my pocket pistol, LCP MAX when hiking, but sometimes I'm hiking in places where I could encounter different things. Really no big game where I hike, just rattlers, jack rabbits, cotton tails, the occasional coyote...and of course, two legged varmints. When I hike places where there is small game, I tend to carry one of my revolvers, often a .22, sometimes a .38/.357. My little Llama mini-1911 finds its way into my pocket at times also.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/25/22
It depends on where I'm hiking. I'll carry my 4" M-63 22lr if it's an area I most likely won't run into dopeheads. Otherwise I carry my 4" M-65 357.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/25/22
Uberti/Taylor's .45 Colt. Comfort factor.
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/25/22
Kimber K6 .357 3 inch with warm 38 lead hollowpoints

skunks , coons , and such , occasionally put a scare in a coyote
Posted By: bhemry Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/25/22
I've tried several different ones over the years, each with hope that it would be the "ultimate" hiking gun. Black bears are extremely rare and would be the biggest thing I could encounter. It would be people that would be the biggest threat.

I decided that I felt under gunned with a rimfire, unless I'm going out with the intent to do some shooting for fun along the way. I tried my 3" S&W 60 that I thought would be perfect, but then decided it only holds 5 rounds and if I have to strap on a holster, I might as well carry something a little bigger. In the end, I tend to find an aluminum frame 1911 in a pancake holster rides tight to my body (I don't accidentally brush it with my arms), I hardly notice it there, but if needed, I can hit pretty well with it and it packs a punch. That seems to be what I like for now. But it's subject to change.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
It's supposed to be my Colt 1911 .45 but I rarely want the weight on my hip so it ends up being either my Taurus snubbie. 38 or my Glock 42 .380
Posted By: Stophel Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
.45 in a modified M7 holster. It's out of the way of all my pack straps.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 101_3124_1024x768_490x368.JPG
Posted By: colodog Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Usually one of the 32H&R revolvers, big enough and small enough for what I'm likely to encounter.
Beretta 21 Bobcat 22lr is my pocket rocket, and in a holster it's glock 22 and 23 models.

Lately I picked up an Tisas poly framed 9mm and it has adjustable target sights and uses Sig P226 mags. Sub $300 pistol and so far it just works.

If there's an revolver to pack I go to my Ruger GP100.

Once, a long time ago I was packing an old 5906 and it very well may have saved me from being an statistic.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
1911 45 in a Pilot’s chest rig
Posted By: memtb Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22

Don’t do much if any hiking anymore, but if “shed hunting”…..I guess it’ll be my 460 XVR! memtb
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Most of my hiking is for hunting, so I have a real gun as well. My backup is my LCP2 .22. 10oz and 10 rounds.

If just walking, either my 3” M60 or CZ75. Have the tanker rig from Simply Rugged, but haven’t tried it yet.
5" 629
Posted By: Thunder_child Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum. Bears both blacks and griz are out there as well as some moose.
Posted By: viking Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Glock 10mm (29sf) alien gear chest rig.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Whatever I carry it is usually in an HPG Kit Bag. The HPG bag lets me pack water in a flat sided soft Platypus water bottle, a Clif bar, my phone, a tourniquet & Israeli bandage, compass, Zebralight, and whatever else I feel I might need on that day. I have revolvers and auto's from .22LR to .41 Magnum and plenty in between. The gun most often carried is a Glock 20 Gen3 SF 10mm stoked with 200 gr. XTP hollow points at 1250 fps or 220 gr. hardcast flat points at 1200 fps. Black bears and hogs are the biggest potential threat, there are a few mountain lions but I have never seen one of those. The MDC has verified a lion/s has killed five elk in my hunting area so lion/s are around. They are busy being lions, sneaky bastages. Bears and hogs, especially hogs, are fairly common. Bumping into a sow with a litter or a cranky old boar is something that can and does happen. And of course there are coyotes, fox and bobcats but unless rabid I don't see them as an issue. The 10mm can handle those situations if I do my part. If walking the local town trail a 2.0 M&P 4" 9mm Compact is most often the gun in the bag. That or a Glock 19. Both are the same size in the bag and hold the same ammo on board. I shoot one as well as the other though I like the 2.0 M&P better for whatever reasons. Fifteen rounds of +P HST 124 or 147 gr. hollow points would dissuade nefarious crackhead types or overly ambitious vicious canines.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
S&W 6946 in a Hill People Snubbie Rig. Not likely anything bigger than people where I go.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheKid Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Probably most often a 38 special loaded with 158swcs over 5.5gr of Unique. It’s most often my 2” M15 but sometimes a 38/44 Outdoorsman and rarely a 2” M36.

If I’m not carrying a 38 odds are it’ll be my 5” 625. I like that I can put it on and drop a pair of moon clips in my shorts pocket and be pretty well prepared. 200gr SWCs have always worked great on pigs and snakes, I’m confident they’ll work on just about whatever else I may run across around here.

Rarely but when the mood strikes I’ve been known to pack a 1911 or a HiPower and every now and again my 1006 10mm. If I set out after small game I take my 16-4 in 32mag.

When I lived in bear country I packed a 44 magnum of some description more often than not.

I live in a target rich environment with a multitude of varmints that I’m likely to run across while out fishing, arrowhead hunting, or mushrooming. But unfortunately I also live in a meth head rich area as well so while I’m usually loaded and ready to take on a herd of pigs or take a potshot at a coyote I’m really dedicated about carrying due to the chance of two legged varmints.
Posted By: JPro Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
XD-M 10mm in a factory plastic belt holster. It gets nearly all the outdoor chores, and is generally pretty filthy. I hit it with compressed air and a toothbrush sometimes. Always goes bang so far, and I like having 15rnds of 10mm on hand, without a ton of weight.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
If I feel I need a gun, a Smith 357 .41 mag, a “pre-mountain gun “ 629-2, or a Glock 20…..usually. If I don’t think I need a serious gun, a Smith 317.
Posted By: blackhawk44 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
That's easy. After I finally figured out that 357's and 44's weren't needed for armadillos, it was a 4", j-frame, 32 Mag, S&W aka m631. Even handier than a Single Six, especially in a light shoulder holster.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Smith 60 Pro Series .357 3" usually gets the nod.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22

Near Northern borders, Bisley SBH .480Ruger 4.62 or 6.5" for assertive Canadian illegal alien bears and their domestic American brethren.

Bisley SBH .44 magnum 3.75" for less remote outings.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Mostly a 4" S&W 66 with 158 gr RNFP or SWCs, occasionally a S&W 617 with some sort of HP. Other occasions might see me with my EDC, a standard size 40 cal. S&W M&P with 180 gr XTP.

If I am checking bear baits, a Ruger Blackhawk loaded with Buffalo Boar 180 gr Bear Loads rides my hip. If small game is open, a Browning Buckmark Target with a red dot is sometimes carried. It has put more than a few grouse in the freezer.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Half my life I lived in Alaska and there was always a 44 mag handy. Here probably the worst thing is 2 legged although snakes, or Mtn lion, possibly a black bear but not likely. Biggest concerns are people who are up to no good. Hence It will be a Taurus G3 or a Ruger SP101 3" 357 mag, or a Ruger Security Six, a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 is also handy. I think either one will keep people moving along. Mountain lions aren't that hard to kill.
Posted By: TF49 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
In US, a 9mm H&k or a Glock 40 cal.

Last trip to Alaska it was the,Glock,40,cal,with hard cast. Next trip to,Alaska will be with a Glock 10mm.
Posted By: LBP Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
43X
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Glock 20 Gen 3. For bears and azzholes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
a S&W Model 63 is the usual woods bumming revolver for me. Minute of squirrel accurate and deadly on snakes.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Sig P365 loaded with 115 grain Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators, sometimes with a 12 round magazine with a grip adapter. We don't have any grizzlies or bison, but we have just about every other type of big game and 4 legged predators roaming our woods.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Usually a 4"S&W model 10 loaded with 158 swc. I carry it in a HPG bag along with a couple of speed strips and whatever else I might need.
Posted By: skeen Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Glock 20 Gen 3. For bears and azzholes.

Excellent choice. Though I rarely carry a "hiking pistol" were I to, Glock 21 Gen4 .45 ACP. It's uncommon for me to see bears or "azzholes" afield in Kansas. grin
Posted By: TWR Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
I've carried my 629 Mountain Gun for pigs and such but meth heads are a bigger problem so it's usually a Glock 19.

I have a S&W 66 that would make a great carry piece for my AO and I have J frames in 38 sp. But the one that has the most miles on it is my S&W 43C, yep a 22 LR J frame. I carry it when I run because it's the lightest rig I know of. I've got a Kydex holster that clips solid onto my gym shorts and if I'm going for a longer run, I have a HPG kit bag, the smaller recon with the recon harness that carries a water bladder and snacks. Dogs are my biggest concern on a run.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Glock 32 in .357 Sig or a 1911 in 45acp.

And my Ruger LCP II in 22 lr in my pocket for plinking.
I walk twice a day, but your definition of a hike would have to be loose to add my walks into that category. However, when I take my daily walks, I carry the same gun I carry all the time which, of late, has been my Ed Brown Kobra Carry .45 stoked with eight rounds of 230 grain Gold Dots. The rig is an El Paso C-Force IWB (which Kevin suggested I try some years ago), on a Galco SB2 CASUAL HOLSTER BELT 1 1/2".

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Very nice pistol, there Chris
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Very nice pistol, there Chris

Thanks, Jorge.
Posted By: RCL Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Most often a Glock 29.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Glock 43 in a HPG Snubby chest bag. Depending on whether I'm in black bear territory or not, it's loaded with either 124gr HST or BB Outdoorsman loads.
Posted By: shootem Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
Majority of hiking we do is the same place we hunt. Not much danger from critters. Coyotes are always a possibility and black bear a slight chance. In the Blue Ridge area of NC white trash on meth (or just ran out of meth) are the biggest problem by far. Too sorry to work and looking for easy to sell items not hard to steal. They’re not really looking for conflict but if confronted in the act who knows. All said my ‘hiking’ carry is the same as everyday carry; a G23 with 165 grain hollow point Montana Gold handloads. Now & then I’ll swap out a 4” 38 Special or 4” .357 in a Bianchi #111 strong side/cross draw option. Cross draw is very handy in many circumstances particularly when using a backpack.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
I have 2, both Glocks. G48 in 9mm shooting 147 gr Buffalo Bore or Underwood or G20 in 10mm shooting 220 Buffalo Bore or Underwood. The 9mm goes in the Smokys for creeps and bears, the 10mm when I'm out west for the same purpose but bears tend to be the grizzled variety. Neither are dainty but riding in an HPG chest rig, ride well and are dang handy.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
At one time at least down south it was a S&W J-frame 337PD .38 Special with snake loads and hollow points. In the Midwest it has been a S&W 34 .22 LR because a red squirrel is about the meanest thing that I ever encounter. Then I got to thinking that the .22 will work just fine for as a snake load and be a whole lot cheaper and quieter to shoot. Final answer: an Armoloy plated S&W M34.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
I usually carry a ruger new model bearcat. This morning my dog and i ran into three wild dogs. One was a rottweiler. I'll be carrying my S&W 7 shot 686 357 from now on.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/26/22
I carry a Cimarron bird's head revolver in 45 Colt. 3 1/2" barrel. 255 grain hard cast semi wadcutters propelled by a healthy dose of 3Fg black powder (my Elmer Keith load) or 8.5 grains of Unique.
Posted By: Zrack656 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Glock 27. Mostly two legged concerns.
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I carry a Cimarron bird's head revolver in 45 Colt. 3 1/2" barrel. 255 grain hard cast semi wadcutters propelled by a healthy dose of 3Fg black powder (my Elmer Keith load) or 8.5 grains of Unique.

Cool. Let's see.
Posted By: Krazi Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
S&W commander when it cold and can cover it up. one mag usually. Pocket carry a 637-2 with a couple of speed strips when it is warm
Posted By: LeontP Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
No fearsome wild life around here except an occasional black bear or very rare mountain lion.

Mostly, it's white trash feral humans and their equally feral dogs that are used to guard the wild oregano that's popular out West. So to that end, it's a G23 loaded with 165 grain Gold Dots.

50 years ago, you only had to worry about the occasional black bear or rare mountain lion.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Glock 21 gen4 220 grain +p crit duty currently.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Stainless S&W mountain gun in .41 magnum. Galco holster & belt.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Originally Posted by LBP
43X

For my purposes, as well.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
I have an old Star Firestar in 9mm that I tend to carry a lot. I also carry a Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm once in a while.
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
1911 45 ACP, have a nice leather chest holster with one extra magazine pouch. The first three or four out, are hollow points then hard ball.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
I roll through them so nothing's "dedicated" to hiking. Most of the time it's a revolver rather than pistol, mainly to carry shot in the first 2 for snakes. I used to carry a 1 7/8" LCR or 3" LCRx in .22 a lot but wasn't impressed with the shot performance on a rattler...if I carry one of the 22's now I just use standard 22's on the rattlesnakes and copperheads. Now it's usually a 1 7/8" LCR or 3" LCRx in .357 with shot capsules in the first two and 38+p in the last 3. They may be carried in a HPG kit bag with Dale Frickie Zac trigger guard or on a belt holster.

I'll usually carry a Sig P365 or G19/23 if 2 legged snakes or dogs are the main concern. HPG with Dale Frickie Zac trigger guard or belt holster, usually the HPG if carrying a backpack...and usually a HPG if not carrying a backpack because it works so well for phone, keys, etc, and being inconspicuous.
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
S&W Performance Center L Comp with Barnes 140 grainers in .357. Diamond D chest rig, two speed loaders.
Posted By: Teal Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
If timber tramping - I carry a G19 with HSTs

Mostly worried about tresspassers and not critters.

I've been known to just grab whatever tho too - Vaquero with 230 grain cowboy loads in 45Colt.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
I carry S&W’s.
629, 25, 28, 586, but I’m thinking my 19 loaded with H110 & Keith style cast with GC.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I roll through them so nothing's "dedicated" to hiking. Most of the time it's a revolver rather than pistol, mainly to carry shot in the first 2 for snakes. I used to carry a 1 7/8" LCR or 3" LCRx in .22 a lot but wasn't impressed with the shot performance on a rattler...if I carry one of the 22's now I just use standard 22's on the rattlesnakes and copperheads. Now it's usually a 1 7/8" LCR or 3" LCRx in .357 with shot capsules in the first two and 38+p in the last 3. They may be carried in a HPG kit bag with Dale Frickie Zac trigger guard or on a belt holster.

I'll usually carry a Sig P365 or G19/23 if 2 legged snakes or dogs are the main concern. HPG with Dale Frickie Zac trigger guard or belt holster, usually the HPG if carrying a backpack...and usually a HPG if not carrying a backpack because it works so well for phone, keys, etc, and being inconspicuous.

The Frickie ZAC trigger guard is a nice little bit of security for striker fired guns with no safeties. I have one for Gock and for M&P pistols.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Same as my everyday carry;

Sig P365, and a Colt Detective Special.

Have Cougars and bears in the neighborhood.

Virgil B.
Posted By: centershot Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
S&W M637 Airweight .38 w/ birdshot in 2 holes and 158gr SWCHPs in the other 3. Swap that for a S&W 686 4" if I want to actually hit something.
Posted By: Slenk Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Cougars, bears, tweeters, 44 special in 3 1/2 vaquero birdshead.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

The Frickie ZAC trigger guard is a nice little bit of security for striker fired guns with no safeties. I have one for Gock and for M&P pistols.

Yeah. Great with the HPG looped on the loop on the bottom of the interior pack. Not just for trigger safety, but you can leave the side of the pack unzipped for immediate access and the handgun isn't going to slip out.

If you pair the ZAC with a Techna Clip or Clip Draw it works well looped around a belt for IWB carry in a pinch. Just a handy piece of low cost gear.
Posted By: memtb Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22

As with most things …..it’s relative!

If I’m hiking the “Desire St. Projects” in New Orleans…..I want no less than a 9 mm semi-auto with lots of extended magazines!

If I’m hiking in thick Alders in Alaskan ….I want a revolver that rivals a big bore rifle in bullet diameter, weights and velocity!

For the majority of us……the handgun choice is somewhere in between! memtb
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
I've got a 4.5" SR-22 Ruger that I like for piddling around in the woods, it's lightweight and shoots pretty well, but I like my 617 Smith 4", too, although it's a lot heavier. We don't have bears around here. Two-leggers will run if you pull a pistol on 'em, even a .22, our two-leggers are too lazy to be aggressive......................
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Locally in SW Idaho, unless I have something specific in mind like small game hunting with a 22, it's whatever I've been in a habit of carrying daily. If I'm in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, it's a DA revolver in a caliber that begins with ".4".
Posted By: PWN Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
I hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail in every state except Georgia while carrying a Kahr CM-9. However, back home it is either a .22 pistol or Kimber K-6 Target.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
We have quite a few bears at our place in PA so either a Model 19 w 158gr cast (and some snake shot iny pocket) or an S&W Performance Center 44 Mag with similar configuration Down here in FLA, Colt Woodsman.
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Ruger MKII, I am not as old as most of you , but have carried this for several decades in the woods . It is very "familiar" and I can shoot it accurately enough ....Joe
Posted By: Lonerider Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
Most of my hiking is following Mrs. around Walmart and Costco. For this type of hiking I am armed to the teeth!! For other types of hiking I choose any one I feel comfortable with at the moment. Occasionally you run across dangerous game at Wallyworld so I am armed appropriately.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/27/22
For hiking or hunting I carry a G43 w/ extended mags either in a HPG or a Nathan hydration vest for shorter trips. For me these days light is right.

mike r
Posted By: Earlyagain Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
Anyone posting on a gun board likely has more than a few to endless variety :-)
Posted By: Redhill Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
G30 with 230g bullets at 1060fps seems to fit a lot of places.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
It varies, but can say it’s never included a 9mm. Dirt biking or hiking in the deserts of Utah it’s a G23. In Colorado it’s almost always a 10mm of some sort: STI 2011 5” 10mm during hunting season, a DW Commander 10mm for hikes at the cabin, a G29 on overnight hikes, and now a new M&P 2.0 10mm 4” with a reddot is in the running for everything outdoors but hunting (not enough velocity out of the 4” barrel to meet CO regulations).
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
First cast of this morning and have only seen (7) Bears,thus far today. Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
First cast of this morning and have only seen (7) Bears,thus far today. Hint................

Nice!
Posted By: pete53 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
nice pictures ,interesting what everyone carries on a hike. myself , i am old school and like a wheel gun better so i either carry 357 revolver or my 44 mag. when i hike in the woods , around home mostly a derringer a Bonds Arm 357 mag. its easy to carry in a hooded sweatshirt and shorts along the country road . but to be honest i feel the most dangerous places are towns and cities so i carry 2 pistols and a knife or two then and try to leave these places before it gets dark , i may only go to these places a few times a year . thanks for posting the nice pictures , Pete53
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
It depends on what and where.

.22 - S&W 2206 for general plinking.

.22 MAG - Rossi 515 when poisonous snakes might be encountered

.44 SPL - Rossi 720 or Taurus 441 when a dangerous animal or human might be encountered

.44 MAG - S&W 329PD when a dangerous animal or human might be encountered and weight is a consideration

.45 LC - S&W 625MG when a dangerous animal or human might be encountered and weight isn't a significant consideration
Usually a .45 of some sort with heavy loads like 250s at 925.

Or a 10mm with heavy loads:

Or depending on the country, and the animal habitat, a 9mm with some deep penetrators:

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

in my best Dirty Harry voice, "Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"....

If you was feeling lucky, you'da picked that 4 leaf clover down in the lower right of the pic, instead of cropping it out......grin
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
Hiking and camping in the mountains I'm carrying an XD-M, 10MM in a Diamond D chest holster. While walking the dog every night, it's my daily carry P365XL.
Posted By: johnw Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
I am a Ruger LCR convert. Mine goes about anywhere I walk to.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
Used to be a Smith 629 4 or 6 inch.
Or 6 inch Python or stainless Commander.
Nowadays its just a P365.

Getting old, not gonna lug a heavy gun.
No bears around here.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
If I am only carrying a handgun on a hike, it is my Mag Na Ported .44 mag. S&W Mountain Gun with the slender 4" barrel. It usually resides in a Guides Choice chest holster by Diamond D in Wasilla, Alaska. Lots of big grizzly/brownies and black bears where we are and they often come into town in spring feasting on moose calves and they cruise our trails like they own them.

A big wide flat nosed hard cast of 280 to 300 grains is all I can shoot fairy quick double action at 25 yards with acceptable accuracy. Most of the time 30' is more realistic and about as far away as Fish & Game tolerates bears being shot in self defense.

I picked up a long slide Dan Wesson Bruin 10mm awhile back and have some hard cast 220 grain loads for it and can shoot it faster then my Mountain gun and the Wilson Combat mags hold 9 rounds and one in the pipe. I have many years of 1911 Govt. Mod. shooting so the Bruin is easy to adjust to for me. It also has a chest and hip holster.

But for now I trust the much more powerful .44 mag. then the 10mm, and doubt the extra rounds of 10mm would get me out of anything 6 rounds of .44 mag. can't handle.

If I lived state side a 10mm Glock 20 with a 5" KKM barrel would get the nod.

I much prefer my customized Marlin 45-70 stuffed with 400 grain bonded bullets.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/28/22
I saw on some website (Cimarron??) that Uberti makes a small frame version of the Thunderer, cleverly named, the Lightning. Well, I saw they make a .32 H&R / .32-20 version. That looks like it could be a nice option for those of us who wander the high desert.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22
I've never been to Alaska. Diamond D's suck ass,because they are fhuqking sponges. Hint.

'Nother slow day today. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22
M&P Shield. It is always with me. 2 legged varmints are biggest threat everywhere I hike. I'm 40 miles from Del Rio so it is a constant stream of illegals through our place.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22
Diamond D's suck ass,because they are fhuqking sponges. Hint.

Hey little buddy, if Diamond D's aren't your thing try the other one I use with my Glocks. Get yourself a Gunfighter's Inc. Kenai. You would probably like those. I've got several and they too are great. However, since I've used them for years you'll probably think they too suck. Well, don't sell yourself short and give it a try.
TheBigCry,

PLEASE "tell" me "more",as I've never even heard of them...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You just set astride your Couchbound Kchunt and greedily read my EVERY word and ogle EVERY Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
TheBigCry,
PLEASE "tell" me "more",as I've never even heard of them...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Oh there's no need to tell you more. According to the picture you posted, you've used them. I don't know about lucky; but, I hope I am. kchunt? That's kind of harsh. Thanks for the congrats, I appreciate it.

You just set astride your Couchbound Kchunt and greedily read my EVERY word and ogle EVERY Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously. Hint...

Well, truth be told, I'm sitting on the deck and not a couch. And, irrespective of your leftwing snowflake viewpoints on gender, we men have a penis and not a kchunt. We're not all of your "ilk". Don't make assumptions little buddy. Oh, yes, I do try to read your every word (though not greedily) and I do try to ogle your pictures. However, it's kind of self agrandizing of you to think I try to live vicariously through you. Although I did enjoy reading your pseudo-biography "Confederacy of Dunces".

I'm glad you're laughing as it is healthy. And, it is disingenuous of someone to type "LOL" when they are not laughing out loud or to type "Fhugking LAUGHING!" when they really are not laughing.

Have a great day little buddy.
TheBigCry,

I've never even heard of them and that mighta' been a "fluke"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Yesterday were pretty slow. Hint.

Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22

Big Stinck has no friends, so he has to bully and strut online as he'd be fearful in the real world.

The Stelter of 24 CF.

He does have really small hands, however, useful in labeling his earrings and toothbrush.

Has evaded fragging by friendlies on numerous occasions.
StupidJoe,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You keep citing your very WELL founded and countless Insecurities and I'll happily fuel same. I enjoy your Pretending aloud,despite it being your only "move". It weren't my intent to horn you up. Hint.

You're right,yesterday was likely a "fair" day and a Wingman is handy for arranging Splendid Pixels. Hint.

You Day Dreaming Do Nothing Kchunts are a hoot! Hint.

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22
Glock G20 in a GunfightersInc chest rig.

https://gunfightersinc.com/

I’ve been wearing this setup for several years. Comfortable, secure, and out of the way, but still easy and fast to pull the ripcord if shtf.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fits nicely behind my bins pouch too. Which is how I hunt with the set up. I’ll have look for a picture wearing it behind my bins. I don’t typically take a picture of myself. Grins.

🦫

'10,

Probably handy for schlepping Live Loads too,when laced to same. Hint.(grin)

Sister prefers her Grock 44 and dat's cool,but the 22/45 with TK guts for me. Hint.

I've worn same for 24 consecutive days,thus far this R&R and have a bit to go yet. Hint..........................
Posted By: deflave Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22
Stick,

Are that a III or a IV and when you say TK are you referring to TandemKross?
'flave,

'4's is hinged and all of the others ain't. I HATE hinges and am coordinated,so they do not call me. Hint.

TK is as you infer and their guts are solid. Cockblock the LCI,defeat the mag "safety",add a Flatty fire control interface and bush same. Overtravel and a stop are great aids,in reducing the radius of the break and reset. Schit stays put and can take a fhuqking lick and I even got one wet once. ONCE. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

The '45 frame adapts easily to 1911 scales and that means CT for me,which is soothin' when things go "BUMP!" in the night. Opted leetle dot FF3 at inception,but wears the VASTLY superior Holosun now(if only obviously) and it's Shake Awake opens lotsa windows of opportunity. The platform is simply fhuqking SINISTER. I polished the feedramp,number mags and schit that ain't warm/fuzzy,gets set atop a stump and shot with The Mother Ship. Hint.

I'm fickle in regards to fasteners and have never shot one loose. It's simply been flogged upon and I shoot same daily,mainly because it is fhuqking FUN. I've 10,000 remaining rounds slated solely to it and I like Wolff springs. Hint.

VQ makes nice guts and I've lots,but TK here,for me. Hint.................
Now you're getting it Karl/BigStick. Hang in there you kidder you.
TheBigCry,

You keep devoting your "life" to "living" vicariously,you HILARIOUSLY Inept Clueless Fhuqk...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22
GunGeek: The "woods/sticks" I often hike in are full of Grizzled Bears, Wolves, Mt Lions and Black Bears so I carry a Remington 700 Classic in 7m/m Remington Magnum filled with handloaded 160 grain Nosler Partitions.
When I am out on the high plains and sage brush flats country I carry a Smith & Wesson Model 63 with 4" barrel in an Uncle Mikes holster (NO leather holsters for me anymore!).
Gawd... who woke up the village idiot - also known as "small twig"?
Sad pathetic littlefuck that he is - I for one wish he would go back under his rock and just stay there.
Throw some more guns in the creek you blithering, blustering, bullschitting idiot.
Sheesh.
SMH
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22
I still like my LCR22lr.

Maybe I’ll get et by a grizzly, but its perfect for carry and works great for grouse.
VarmintGal,

You are a HILARIOUSLY Inept Clueless Piece Of Lying Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The only things you "shoot" are your mouth and Imagination. A GOOD day for you,is one in which you don't schit your pants. The only thing you "hike",is your velcro pants over your Depends and your Drool Bib over your tits. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for Imagining and Pretending aloud.

Yesterday,were in fact a "fair" day. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
'flave,

'4's is hinged and all of the others ain't. I HATE hinges and am coordinated,so they do not call me. Hint.

TK is as you infer and their guts are solid. Cockblock the LCI,defeat the mag "safety",add a Flatty fire control interface and bush same. Overtravel and a stop are great aids,in reducing the radius of the break and reset. Schit stays put and can take a fhuqking lick and I even got one wet once. ONCE. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

The '45 frame adapts easily to 1911 scales and that means CT for me,which is soothin' when things go "BUMP!" in the night. Opted leetle dot FF3 at inception,but wears the VASTLY superior Holosun now(if only obviously) and it's Shake Awake opens lotsa windows of opportunity. The platform is simply fhuqking SINISTER. I polished the feedramp,number mags and schit that ain't warm/fuzzy,gets set atop a stump and shot with The Mother Ship. Hint.

I'm fickle in regards to fasteners and have never shot one loose. It's simply been flogged upon and I shoot same daily,mainly because it is fhuqking FUN. I've 10,000 remaining rounds slated solely to it and I like Wolff springs. Hint.

OK, thanks.

Do you find mags for those 22/45s tend to be more frequently defective than others?

The ones I have/had were/are fickle. But with the right mags they're great.

'flave,

My take is,that there are wayyyyyyyy more "mainstay" MK2/3 mags in service,than the initial(MK I) or '45 variants. MK I's were sorta fickle and MK2/3's in "standard" frames,fhuqking AMAZINGLY spectacular in their rugged reliability(even in all my AMT's). Once the 22/45's arrived,mag quality took a dive and they rate verification as per easch(though I did same in the prior Generations). Hint.

The TK mag extensions are nothing but trouble. In THE Day,OEM Ruger MK2/3 mags were nothing less than sensational. They SET the bar and nothing else was even close. Hint.

Coming full circle and regardless who Brands said mag,I simply number same and cull without remorse. That being said,I don't do polymer bullschit. Hint.

Having been through literally 100's of mags,I'm comfy in what made the cut. I'm not programmed to fhuqk around. Hint...............
'flave,

My take is,that there are wayyyyyyyy more "mainstay" MK2/3 mags in service,than the initial(MK I) or '45 variants. MK I's were sorta fickle and MK2/3's in "standard" frames,fhuqking AMAZINGLY spectacular in their rugged reliability(even in all my AMT's). Once the 22/45's arrived,mag quality took a dive and they rate verification as per easch(though I did same in the prior Generations). Hint.

The TK mag extensions are nothing but trouble. In THE Day,OEM Ruger MK2/3 mags were nothing less than sensational. They SET the bar and nothing else was even close. Hint.

Coming full circle and regardless who Brands said mag,I simply number same and cull without remorse. That being said,I don't do polymer bullschit. Hint.

Having been through literally 100's of mags,I'm comfy in what made the cut. I'm not programmed to fhuqk around. Hint...............

Yeah I think the mags in those different iterations were definitely a problem.

I kinda gave up on the platform because of it.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22
TheBigCry,

You just set astride your Couchbound Kchunt and greedily read my EVERY word and ogle EVERY Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

BS, I for one am pretty darn impressed by your firearms knowledge. Your eloquent prose, not so much, but that is a topic for another time or maybe a shrink. I do need to ask a serious question however. Why do you feel the need to submerge your guns in the creek or pose them with a fish for many of your pictures?
Originally Posted by Windfall

I do need to ask a serious question however. Why do you feel the need to submerge your guns in the creek or pose them with a fish for many of your pictures?

And I have a question for you.

Why do you care if somebody else puts their firearm in water for a picture?
Posted By: JimH Re: Your hiking pistol? - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by deflave

I do need to ask a serious question however. Why do you feel the need to submerge your guns in the creek or pose them with a fish for many of your pictures?

Why do you care if somebody else puts their firearm in water for a picture?Perhaps for the same reason you care if they care.....
Originally Posted by JimH
Originally Posted by deflave

Why do you care if somebody else puts their firearm in water for a picture?Perhaps for the same reason you care if they care.....

Were you trying to reply to the person that didn’t ask you anything or purposefully fugk up a quote that would be attributed to me?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/01/22
Kchuntfull,

Living here in Kansas like I do,moisture is plum rare and I like to capture the moment for you Melting Snowflakes...you "lucky"" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I enjoy how naturally your High Pitched Nasal Whine comes to you. What won't you Brokedick Do Nothing Crying Kchunts not Whine about? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/01/22
No lions , tigers or bears around here so it's just whatever I feel like carrying at the time.
Posted By: RHutch Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/01/22
For urban walk abouts, I carry a Shield or P2000 depending on attire.
In the woods, it’s a G20.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by RHutch

In the woods, it’s a G20.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: shootem Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/01/22
Dang! You shot that first one for a while. He trying to get in the truck with you?

Nice pics.
Posted By: ElAhrairah Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/02/22
Smith and wesson 627pc .357, 5" barrel, 8 round cylinder. Its what i carry 99% of the time. 2 leggers, black bears, moose, lions, wolves.... if i go into grizz country i have a 4" s&w .44 mag.[Linked Image from pic8.co]
Posted By: Lonerider Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/02/22
If Big Stick had taken the above picture the pistol would be laying about 3 inches to the right!!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/02/22
Conerider,

I can only speak in the first hand regarding Black,Brown,Grizzly and Polar Bears...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Have woofed 'em all. 3" 317 here and CT pinned to forehead and hardly a big fhuqking deal. Hint.

Not that you Pavement Pounding Poosies ain't a fhuqking hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Posted By: moosemike Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/02/22
Originally Posted by moosemike
It's supposed to be my Colt 1911 .45 but I rarely want the weight on my hip so it ends up being either my Taurus snubbie. 38 or my Glock 42 .380

I think my hiking pistol has now changed since this weekend I bought a Ruger Single Six. I'll use the mag cylinder when hiking
Posted By: Lonerider Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/02/22
Big Stdick

Comment was intended as a compliment to your skills but as usual You just run your foul mouth at every thing You really are good at what you do. You need not bad mouth others who are not up to your wonderful standards.
Have a great day my friend
Posted By: buffybr Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/03/22
Like others have posted, it depends where I am hiking.

Back in the early '80s I would carry either my Blackhawk .357 or 1911 .45 acp. For many years here in Montana I carried a Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. Many times while antelope hunting in eastern Montana I would just carry my Ruger Single Six in .22 LR. A few years ago I bought a S&W 629 4" .44 mag, and I carry it alot now. Many times now if I'm only hiking on a popular hiking trail, I'll just carry my Kimber Micro 9 under my shirt.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/03/22
Conerider,

You are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Posted By: high_country_ Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/04/22
After stuffing a 200xtp in a bears face with my 10mm, I realized that I can get by with considerably less pistol. I carry a g23 or 43x most of the time.

Accuracy trumps all and a cns hit is the only thing that's going to positively save you before you hear crunching noises.
Posted By: Nate40 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/05/22
I don’t go hiking alot, usually when im in the woods im hunting and have a long gun of some sort so then i just carry my g23 with 180gr gold dots. If its deer season ill carry a 629 or m&p 10mm instead of the Glock 23. On the rare occasion a bear has been seen around our place ill carry one of the bigger pistols. We have an occasional bear sighting but the biggest threats around here are coyotes,wild dogs, or two legged threats. I save the 9mm’s for urban carry
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/05/22
Varies considerably. Cartridge wise, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 480 Ruger, 475 Linebaugh. Barrel lengths from 2.5 through 5". Some double actions some single actions.
Probable favorite is a Ruger Bisley 4-5/8" 480 Ruger for hiking / companion revolver.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/05/22
When there was a wife and child in the house my woods carry/home defense/recreational plinking/drive cross country gun was a 3” S&W Mod 60. That was fine until one day I came across a really big feral boar that stood and huffed about twenty yards out deciding what it was gonna do while I shouted and waved my arms. Finally it spun off the path like a sumo wrestler and crashed off a short ways into dense brush where it remained huffing and snorting.

If it woulda charged it could cover that ground in seconds and I would have had just five chances with heavy recoiling double action .357 loads from a j-frame to affect the outcome. So Ihat same week I bought a 10mm Glock 29. Twice fthe firepower in an easier to shoot package.

That lasted about three or four years but ammo was expensive and hard to find. About that time some guy named Phil Shoemaker up in Alaska demonstrated that speed and shot placement can trump all else. So I sold off the 29 and now my ol’ reliable Gen 2 Glock 19 gets the nod, loaded with 15+1 rounds of 147grain Hardcasts.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/05/22
I dont hike, but when i haul my fat ass up and down the mountain for exercise i carry G21 or P226 in 357 Sig, both max loaded with Lehigh penetrators.
Posted By: OCSarge Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/05/22
My hiking gun is my everyday carry gun, a Colt Gunsite 1911 in .45acp. My everyday holster is a Davis liberty with a matching double magazine pouch. The magazines are stoked with Double Tap 230 grain hollow points. In snake season one of the spare magazines is stoked with CCI shot cartridges. They cycle the gun just fine and kills small critters dead.

Dave
Posted By: viking Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22
I recently bought a Colt 3 inch King Cobra. The holster selection out there is slim, does anyone have any options/opinions. OWB preferred. Also google wasn’t really helping.
Posted By: shootem Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22
Originally Posted by gunner500
I dont hike, but when i haul my fat ass up and down the mountain for exercise i carry G21 or P226 in 357 Sig, both max loaded with Lehigh penetrators.

gunner, you ever broke hide with those screwdriver tips? I’ve heard a fair number of folks say they’re carried but I’ve never had anybody say what they’ll do on flesh.
Posted By: EdM Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22
My only hiking is when I'm at the place in Idaho. I carry this 44 Mag loaded with a 275 gr LFN at ~1000 fps.

Originally Posted by EdM
My only hiking is when I'm at the place in Idaho. I carry this 44 Mag loaded with a 275 gr LFN at ~1000 fps.

Should do the trick.
Posted By: shootem Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22
Originally Posted by EdM

Saw these Hi-tek coated on Missouri Bullets website if your looking for a little more recoil. They have lubed version as well. 300gr WFN. 18 Brinnel

Missouri Bullets .430 Coated

Lubed

Missouri Bullets link

Also have “Keith” bullets (with beveled base 😧). And have a good looking .40 170gr B18 SWC I’ll probably order and .358 SWC in either B12 or B18.
Posted By: brush_buster Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22

Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm in a Diamond D guide holster. (180gr HST bullets)
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22
Looks very Nosey in a Roman way Ed.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22
When hunting in areas with bears or hogs, I've got a XdM in 45acp (14 rds on board and spare mag) in a HPG Recon kit. Otherwise, it is a Ruger mk3 with Volquartsen internals and a Holosun on top. I've lost count of the number of hogs I've walked up on and dispatched with the 45.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22
When I’m rifle hunting I carry a 4” Ruger MkIII stainless fluted bull bbl. When I’m not carrying a rifle I carry either a G20 or my model 69.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22
Best I can do is narrow it down to 4 main possibilities. Ruger SR22 if I don't expect critters or people. Ruger GP 100 in 44 Special, S&W Model 69, or Springfield XD 40 if critters or people are possible.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/06/22
Ruger LCR .22lr
Posted By: EdM Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/07/22
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by EdM

Saw these Hi-tek coated on Missouri Bullets website if your looking for a little more recoil. They have lubed version as well. 300gr WFN. 18 Brinnel

Missouri Bullets .430 Coated

Lubed

Missouri Bullets link

Also have “Keith” bullets (with beveled base 😧). And have a good looking .40 170gr B18 SWC I’ll probably order and .358 SWC in either B12 or B18.

Thanks but I am good having used the same load out of an OMSBH on hogs.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/07/22
shootem, yessir i have, but only post mortem, i dont post about it or take pics, but shoot the crap out of dead stuff to test bullets from other weapons, sidearms here and rifles in africa, the 115gr lehighs from the 357 sig and 200gr lehighs from 45 acp have drilled holes to exit on deer and pigs from straight across shoulder shots to last rib in to exit behind and even partial shoulder hits, neck shots to drill the spine to exit, even when the ground is providing extra support for the stretching hide, those bullets always find a way out, simply tests telling me they will give long deep straight on chest hits should i run into trouble with a black bear or wild hog.

I hung a corn barrel on the mountain behind the house to shoot pigs, it took exactly less than one damn day for a monster black bear to be caught on trail cam, he's standing there checking out the boat winch that's got 150lbs of goodies suspended he's awfully interested in, the base of the winch bracket is near 5 ft off the ground, pm me your cell and i'll shoot ya a pic, that pic will show the reason i carry a sidearm with those lehighs while bowhunting, or just out with wife for some exercise.
Posted By: EdM Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/07/22
Originally Posted by high_country_
Looks very Nosey in a Roman way Ed.

Moose Lake.
Posted By: rufous Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/07/22
Ruger stainless Bisley in 45 Colt with 5.5" barrel is what I typically pack in a cross draw El Paso Saddlery holster. Love that setup. I had David Clements do some trigger work, Taylor throat the forcing cone, open up the cylinder throats to 0.4525", freewheel the cylinder, install a Belt Mountain base pin and his Patridge sight. I installed a Bowen rear sight. I have killed 3 black bears and a Whitetail doe with it.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/07/22
My woods bumming gun is a S&W 22LR M& P Compact. Loaded with CCI Minimags, it is very light, accurate and reliable.
Posted By: buttstock Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/08/22
It depends. Primary purpose is to to protect my dog on a walk (coyotes, rabid foxes/skunks, ).

Have carried: Springfield 1911 MILSPEC 45 acp, Ruger 4" 357 mag SS gp100, S&W 649-2 38 special, S&W 60-4 38 spec 3" full lug, 4" S&W 629 44 mag,

The 3" S&W 60-4 full-lug 38 special has been carried the most lately. Loaded with 148 grain hard cast solid base wadcutters over 3.5 grains of Bullseye.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/08/22
As others, depends where and what Im doing.
Ruger 45 lc with hacksawed barrel

Colt 22 magnum
Charter arms Bulldog 44Spcl.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/08/22
Originally Posted by kenster99
As others, depends where and what Im doing.

Charter arms Bulldog 44Spcl.

I prefer my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special for when I’m out hunting for Arrowheads.
First cylinder is loaded with CCI 44 spec snakeshot.
The other 4 or loaded with Buffalo Boar .44 spec Hard Cast wadcutters.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I prefer my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special for when I’m out hunting for Arrowheads.
Charter Arms doesn't recommend hot .44 Special loads in the Bulldog.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Charter Arms doesn't recommend hot .44 Special loads in the Bulldog.

Their wadcutter Load isn’t hot.
You sure of that? Buffalo Bore's .38 Special, hard cast, wadcutter load is in the +p category.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/08/22
You sure of that? Buffalo Bore's .38 Special, hard cast, wadcutter load is in the +p category.
Just read on BB website the 44 spc wadcutter is ok for the bulldog.
Originally Posted by Raferman
Just read on BB website the 44 spc wadcutter is ok for the bulldog.

Yep. Been using them for a long time. No problems.
I just got back from Montana where I was for a couple days.

I was carrying a Colt Lightweight Commander in an HPG Kit Bag, though modified for faster access by the addition of external pouches.

Posted By: jwp475 Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/08/22
Is that a K-Frame rear sight?
JWP,

Good Eye,

I don't know if it is a K Frame or J Frame, but it is an S&W rear sight milled into the top of the slide.

Definitely one of my favorite 1911s for carry.

Since I was in Grizzly country, I had it topped off with my 250 grain +P 45 ACP loads.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/09/22
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I assume many others here get their exercise by walking in the woods/sticks. Just wondering...

What do you carry?
What kinds of critters are you carrying for?

Often I just carry my pocket pistol, LCP MAX when hiking, but sometimes I'm hiking in places where I could encounter different things. Really no big game where I hike, just rattlers, jack rabbits, cotton tails, the occasional coyote...and of course, two legged varmints. When I hike places where there is small game, I tend to carry one of my revolvers, often a .22, sometimes a .38/.357. My little Llama mini-1911 finds its way into my pocket at times also.

I just switch ammo to 147gr fmj "flat points" and pack four magazines for same pistol I normally use.
The only animals I can encounter are wild boar or very rarely wolves. A wild boar ma with piglets is among the most dangerous animals one can encounter in the wilderness.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/09/22
5 magazines!

You need shooting training or new eyeglasses?
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/10/22
These are the pistols I carry for convenience. I often use others to hunt with. Obviously I have more choices than necessary.

Most often I carry a 651 .22 WMR. especially when with a long gun along and grouse are in season. If I am after sage rats, I use its near twin a M63 .22LR.

For summer hiking in Oregon, I like my Taurus Ti 4 in .357. Two snake shot and five 158 gr XTP's.

If I may be out late, or when camping/hiking in the woods it is a 9mm or .40 S&W Glock with night sights and BB hard cast.

For trips to see my oldest son and do some hiking in Wyoming and Montana I have a .45 Colt 4 in Redhawk. A couple of snake shot and some hardcast in summer. Just hardcast in winter.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
JWP,

Good Eye,

I don't know if it is a K Frame or J Frame, but it is an S&W rear sight milled into the top of the slide.

Definitely one of my favorite 1911s for carry.

Since I was in Grizzly country, I had it topped off with my 250 grain +P 45 ACP loads.

Are these factory or home cast bullets? Do you know about the brinell hardness?
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/10/22
I usually carry a Glock 19 with a G17 Mag or two in reserve.

That way if I lose it (haven't lost one yet, but) I can replace it quickly.

Also in a Hill People Gear chest pack, but I carry mine in the back compartment.

If I'm in coyote country (the four legged kind) taking the dogs for a 5 mile or so hike, a PMR30 or a SIG322 (when I get it).
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
5 magazines!

Mackay has done plenty of shooting under adverse conditions. If he is carrying 5 mags then he needs 5 mags. He doesn't need shooting lessons or eyeglasses.
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
5 magazines!

What are you talking about?

5 magazines?

There is a pic, with a single spare mag.

I will defer to all your high speed training when it comes to shooting..

SMH crazy
Posted By: TheKid Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/18/22
I believe he was referring to Slavek’s post.
Posted By: TWR Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/18/22
SherifJoe was replying to slavek, shows at the top of his post and slavek wrote he grabs 4 magazines blah blah blah…

This place is volatile enough without folks taking time to actually read.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I believe he was referring to Slavek’s post.

I personally tend to roll right over most of Slaveks trash that he posts as we know he is completely FOS, and now who is say says he is. Someone stated that he is actually the diaper wearing freak show maser.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/18/22
Some of you bunheads NEED eyeglasses or remedial reading instruction before you even get close to a firearm.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/20/22
Originally Posted by Bugger
I carry S&W’s.
629, 25, 28, 586, but I’m thinking my 19 loaded with H110 & Keith style cast with GC.

What barrel length do they have? The 25 is it in 45 Colt?
Posted By: jstert Re: Your hiking pistol? - 05/28/22
i used to afternoon hike on state forest trails. some of them would be crowded and i needed to be discrete even with a ccw permit.

at one point i carried a s&w 317 22lr. i sold it as i got tired of its aluminum cylinder heatbinding at the shooting range during practice and i worried that 22lr wouldn’t be enough for feral dogs or feral people.

then i gravitated to a s&w 642 snubbie loaded with 38 wadcutters. i like its enclosed hammer for keeping out gunk and with softer wadcutters i’m accurate enough. in cold weather a bond arms derringer in 45lc or 38sp with its trigger guard removed makes for easier handling with gloved hands.

the farther i am removed from dogs or people the more content i would be with a just a 22 something, perhaps a ruger single six in a shoulder holster loaded with 22wmr and carrying 22lr in my pack.
© 24hourcampfire