Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Cougars, bears, tweeters, 44 special in 3 1/2 vaquero birdshead.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I roll through them so nothing's "dedicated" to hiking. Most of the time it's a revolver rather than pistol, mainly to carry shot in the first 2 for snakes. I used to carry a 1 7/8" LCR or 3" LCRx in .22 a lot but wasn't impressed with the shot performance on a rattler...if I carry one of the 22's now I just use standard 22's on the rattlesnakes and copperheads. Now it's usually a 1 7/8" LCR or 3" LCRx in .357 with shot capsules in the first two and 38+p in the last 3. They may be carried in a HPG kit bag with Dale Frickie Zac trigger guard or on a belt holster.

I'll usually carry a Sig P365 or G19/23 if 2 legged snakes or dogs are the main concern. HPG with Dale Frickie Zac trigger guard or belt holster, usually the HPG if carrying a backpack...and usually a HPG if not carrying a backpack because it works so well for phone, keys, etc, and being inconspicuous.

The Frickie ZAC trigger guard is a nice little bit of security for striker fired guns with no safeties. I have one for Gock and for M&P pistols.

Yeah. Great with the HPG looped on the loop on the bottom of the interior pack. Not just for trigger safety, but you can leave the side of the pack unzipped for immediate access and the handgun isn't going to slip out.

If you pair the ZAC with a Techna Clip or Clip Draw it works well looped around a belt for IWB carry in a pinch. Just a handy piece of low cost gear.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

As with most things …..it’s relative!

If I’m hiking the “Desire St. Projects” in New Orleans…..I want no less than a 9 mm semi-auto with lots of extended magazines!

If I’m hiking in thick Alders in Alaskan ….I want a revolver that rivals a big bore rifle in bullet diameter, weights and velocity!

For the majority of us……the handgun choice is somewhere in between! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got a 4.5" SR-22 Ruger that I like for piddling around in the woods, it's lightweight and shoots pretty well, but I like my 617 Smith 4", too, although it's a lot heavier. We don't have bears around here. Two-leggers will run if you pull a pistol on 'em, even a .22, our two-leggers are too lazy to be aggressive......................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Locally in SW Idaho, unless I have something specific in mind like small game hunting with a 22, it's whatever I've been in a habit of carrying daily. If I'm in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, it's a DA revolver in a caliber that begins with ".4".

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail in every state except Georgia while carrying a Kahr CM-9. However, back home it is either a .22 pistol or Kimber K-6 Target.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have quite a few bears at our place in PA so either a Model 19 w 158gr cast (and some snake shot iny pocket) or an S&W Performance Center 44 Mag with similar configuration Down here in FLA, Colt Woodsman.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Ruger MKII, I am not as old as most of you , but have carried this for several decades in the woods . It is very "familiar" and I can shoot it accurately enough ....Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Most of my hiking is following Mrs. around Walmart and Costco. For this type of hiking I am armed to the teeth!! For other types of hiking I choose any one I feel comfortable with at the moment. Occasionally you run across dangerous game at Wallyworld so I am armed appropriately.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
For hiking or hunting I carry a G43 w/ extended mags either in a HPG or a Nathan hydration vest for shorter trips. For me these days light is right.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Anyone posting on a gun board likely has more than a few to endless variety :-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G30 with 230g bullets at 1060fps seems to fit a lot of places.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It varies, but can say it’s never included a 9mm. Dirt biking or hiking in the deserts of Utah it’s a G23. In Colorado it’s almost always a 10mm of some sort: STI 2011 5” 10mm during hunting season, a DW Commander 10mm for hikes at the cabin, a G29 on overnight hikes, and now a new M&P 2.0 10mm 4” with a reddot is in the running for everything outdoors but hunting (not enough velocity out of the 4” barrel to meet CO regulations).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First cast of this morning and have only seen (7) Bears,thus far today. Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Big Stick
First cast of this morning and have only seen (7) Bears,thus far today. Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Nice!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice pictures ,interesting what everyone carries on a hike. myself , i am old school and like a wheel gun better so i either carry 357 revolver or my 44 mag. when i hike in the woods , around home mostly a derringer a Bonds Arm 357 mag. its easy to carry in a hooded sweatshirt and shorts along the country road . but to be honest i feel the most dangerous places are towns and cities so i carry 2 pistols and a knife or two then and try to leave these places before it gets dark , i may only go to these places a few times a year . thanks for posting the nice pictures , Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It depends on what and where.

.22 - S&W 2206 for general plinking.

.22 MAG - Rossi 515 when poisonous snakes might be encountered

.44 SPL - Rossi 720 or Taurus 441 when a dangerous animal or human might be encountered

.44 MAG - S&W 329PD when a dangerous animal or human might be encountered and weight is a consideration

.45 LC - S&W 625MG when a dangerous animal or human might be encountered and weight isn't a significant consideration

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Usually a .45 of some sort with heavy loads like 250s at 925.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Or a 10mm with heavy loads:

Or depending on the country, and the animal habitat, a 9mm with some deep penetrators:

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

in my best Dirty Harry voice, "Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"....

If you was feeling lucky, you'da picked that 4 leaf clover down in the lower right of the pic, instead of cropping it out......grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hiking and camping in the mountains I'm carrying an XD-M, 10MM in a Diamond D chest holster. While walking the dog every night, it's my daily carry P365XL.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.