Home
Posted By: Bugger It’s a war - 05/18/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: TimZ Re: It’s a war - 05/18/22
Good shooting, wish I could do that in my backyard.......S&W Model 17?
Posted By: Bugger Re: It’s a war - 05/18/22
Thanks. Yes it’s a 17. I usually see these when I’m on my Super C mowing my yard, thus the revolver.
Posted By: pullit Re: It’s a war - 05/18/22
good shooting
Posted By: Bugger Re: It’s a war - 05/18/22
Thanks. Yesterday and today total 5 dead.
I shot one with a cast bullet from a 30-30 though.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: It’s a war - 05/18/22
Oh man, I'm a veteran of that war...

Used to carry my S&W 617 on the tractor, and on my zero turn when mowing. I killed enough to be considered a war crime. Made for some very fun shooting though. Pulled off some great shots...and some really horrible shots.
Posted By: pullit Re: It’s a war - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Bugger
Thanks. Yesterday and today total 5 dead.
I shot one with a cast bullet from a 30-30 though.

sounds like you are winning the war...
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: It’s a war - 05/19/22
Looks like grass ain’t the only thing you’re mowing down! Nice shot!
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: It’s a war - 05/19/22
I do the same in my yard with a 617 or a Iver Johnson Sealed Eight. Start early and one can keep the numbers down fairly easy. If I wait until June, the first litter is off and running and it gets a bit harder to thin them out.

When I mow the wild grass plantings I carry a S&W 66 as I chase out larger game all too frequently. Skunks and raccoons are the most common with the occasional possum or coyote. I wish the yard tractor was faster, a raccoon can out run it though barely. If it were faster it would be like running buffalo from horseback!
Posted By: clwg97 Re: It’s a war - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I do the same in my yard with a 617 or a Iver Johnson Sealed Eight. Start early and one can keep the numbers down fairly easy. If I wait until June, the first litter is off and running and it gets a bit harder to thin them out.

When I mow the wild grass plantings I carry a S&W 66 as I chase out larger game all too frequently. Skunks and raccoons are the most common with the occasional possum or coyote. I wish the yard tractor was faster, a raccoon can out run it though barely. If it were faster it would be like running buffalo from horseback!

You need to get someone to take a video. The mental image has me laughing way too hard!!
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: It’s a war - 05/19/22
Congrats. While I could identify the gun as a M17 I don't have clue what the quarry is. We don't have that over here.

The M17, due to the diamond grips - is it an older one? Nice gun
Posted By: Bugger Re: It’s a war - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Congrats. While I could identify the gun as a M17 I don't have clue what the quarry is. We don't have that over here.

I’m a fan of the S&W’s. I switched to a model 19 though. There’s cat tracks around the place. A friend was attacked by one and he shot it as the cat was attacking him. The SDGF&P’s took him to court and even though the local game warden testified it was self defense he spent a lot of money defending himself. As I remember it, it was a year in court and the state absconded with the cat and had it mounted at the state capital. Many people learned from the poor guys experience.

The quarry in the photo is commonly called a gopher. I believe the real name is 13 stripe ground squirrel.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: It’s a war - 05/19/22
Nice shot. I want to buy an older 17.
Posted By: LeontP Re: It’s a war - 05/20/22
I'm fighting that war now. I put a bird feeder out next to a large berm out back. They keep coming in so I keep poppin them. Hours of entertainment, beats what's on TV that's for sure.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: It’s a war - 05/21/22
Very happy with my 17.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: It’s a war - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

I’m a fan of the S&W’s. I switched to a model 19 though. There’s cat tracks around the place. A friend was attacked by one and he shot it as the cat was attacking him. The SDGF&P’s took him to court and even though the local game warden testified it was self defense he spent a lot of money defending himself. As I remember it, it was a year in court and the state absconded with the cat and had it mounted at the state capital. Many people learned from the poor guys experience.

The quarry in the photo is commonly called a gopher. I believe the real name is 13 stripe ground squirrel.

Remember the 3 S’s!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: It’s a war - 05/23/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And you came properly prepared.
© 24hourcampfire