Home
Posted By: toltecgriz G 19 alternative - 09/13/22
What's the closest quality pistol to a Glock 19 that has a safety. My G 19 was stolen and I'm looking around.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: G 19 alternative - 09/13/22
S&W M&P 2.0

Very good gun.
Posted By: Slavek Re: G 19 alternative - 09/13/22
HS Produkt pistols peddled as XD in USA by Springfield Armory.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: G 19 alternative - 09/13/22
What would be wrong with getting another Glock 19? They have the Gen 5 now, which is the best Glock 19 yet. Some really nice touches, like rounding the forward corners of the frame and slide for more certain reholstering and forward slide serrations.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
What would be wrong with getting another Glock 19? They have the Gen 5 now, which is the best Glock 19 yet. Some really nice touches, like rounding the forward corners of the frame and slide for more certain reholstering and forward slide serrations.

Glocks do not have a manual safety.
Posted By: Teal Re: G 19 alternative - 09/13/22
Originally Posted by Slavek

Didn't stop him from owning one that got stolen. Was good with it then - likely ok with it now.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: G 19 alternative - 09/13/22

A Real Man of Genius.....šŸ¤£
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: G 19 alternative - 09/13/22
P320-M18
FMX-9
Ruger American
The original Steyr M had manual safety in frame in front of trigger. It also has internal child safety lock activated with U-type bit. It has lower bore axis, excellent steel sights and is uglier then a Glock.šŸ¤£
Posted By: MOGC Re: G 19 alternative - 09/13/22
I don't go for the safety versions, however the Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 does have that option and it is an excellent striker fired handgun. In fact, there is a metal frame M&P 2.0 available now if the poly frame guns turn you off for some reason. US made by S&W, a lifetime warranty, excellent track record in the field, feels great in hand.
Posted By: wreckster84 Re: G 19 alternative - 09/13/22
M&P 2.0 if you must have a safety. Easy to remove it if you ever change your mind and it doesn't affect any passive safety features.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Dont try to keep on top of the "flavor-of-the-day" in handguns now,
But Sig has a pretty big 365, if not with a safety, they will offer it soon.

So folks who just had to buy the newest can now buy a gun/frame They really wanted.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Check out the HK VP9 series. I've been an XDM guy, my son bought the VP9 and it's sure sweet. Ergos, trigger and accuracy.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
S&W M&P 2.0

Very good gun.

This^^^^^^^^^^ look no further, & a better trigger than any of the previous series Glocks except the G5 which is about a push with M&P 2.0.

I'm pretty finicky on triggers & the S&W 2.0 is about the only striker fired pistol who's trigger is good enough as is, except for the G5.

Downside of the S&W is a lack of accessories or AM parts, compared to Glock, but then again, it really doesn't need any either, IMO.

MM
Posted By: shootem Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
M&P really is a nice pistol. Got a 9c with safety for my wife a few years back. The lever is a little dinkish but her hands are smaller than mine so it works fine.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Nice ideas from people I've come to respect around here.

The thing about the safety is not so much me as someone else who might use it. That said, I was always extremely conscious of the no safety and maybe that's the key to being safe,

The 19 isn't ruled out as I still have magazines. smile

Thanks for taking the time to help.

As an aside I was talking to the suburban policewoman who took the theft report and she didn't know what was in her holster, but it wasn't a Glock.
Posted By: hardway Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Manual saftey.... find a good used browning hi-power šŸ¤˜šŸ»
Posted By: BigNate Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
The new Springfield Armory Prodigy is getting good reviews. It's basically a 1911 format double stack.
The new SA "hi power"ish, not sure but seems like it's called the model 35 might be worth a look.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Why would you want a safety, you donā€™t want one on your revolvers. The whole point of a striker fired pistol is not having a safety while avoiding the ā€œcrunch tickā€ DA/SA trigger. A single action pistol will have a better trigger with a safety. A striker fired pistol with a safety makes no sense IMO.

If youā€™re hellbent on a striker fired pistol with a safety a Sig M18, but it only has a safety for training to the lowest common denominator of new recruits that may have zero firearm experience.
Posted By: killerv Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
I got rid of all my glocks and went to the smith M&Ps, have four of them now. Great guns.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Why would you want a safety, you donā€™t want one on your revolvers. The whole point of a striker fired pistol is not having a safety while avoiding the ā€œcrunch tickā€ DA/SA trigger. A single action pistol will have a better trigger with a safety. A striker fired pistol with a safety makes no sense IMO.
Been saying this for years.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
SIG 365XL with safety
Posted By: TWR Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
While I had several M&Pā€™s, all of them benefited greatly with Apex parts, including my 2 2.0ā€™s. Good guns but Apex knows how to make them great.

I eventually went back to Glock when the Gen 5ā€™s came out. Except for sights, red dot plate and SCDā€™s, they are all stock.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
I'm surprised no one has pointed out that the Glock 19 HAS a safety in the face of the trigger.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I'm surprised no one has pointed out that the Glock 19 HAS a safety in the face of the trigger.

Virgil B.
As Colonel Cooper observed, that's rather like taping the combination to your safe above the dial. No point in locking it. Likewise, no point in having a safety if it's on the face of the trigger.

And striker fired guns don't need one, as they defeat their purpose.
Posted By: wswolf Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
The Beretta PX4 Storm is worth a look.
Posted By: Lonerider Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
RIA STK100

CanikTP9

PSA
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Mossberg mc2c is thinner than a Glock and they make one version with a crossbolt safety. American made and I really like mine.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Sure not not trying to start an argument here as many of you know a lot more about striker fired guns than I will ever know but carrying one in condition one, without a safety scares me to death. The ones I own that don't have a safety get carried without a round chambered & I'll take my chances, my other guns, S&W 2.0 with a safety I carry condition one, also with my Browning Hi Power & my 1911's, but again, not the guns with the so called trigger safety. To me that isn't a safety & I'll let you more experienced guys explain it to me.
Don't know that I've heard of anyone shooting themselves in the leg with their gun that has a safety but I sure have heard of guys shooting themselves with striker fired guns without a true safety. Take it easy with the name calling, I'm a life long shooter, USPSA shooter & have taken a lot of big game with revolvers. I shoot 3-4 times a week but again, those striker fired guns with no safety scare the hell out of me. Talk to me.

Dick
Posted By: Teal Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Sure not not trying to start an argument here as many of you know a lot more about striker fired guns than I will ever know but carrying one in condition one, without a safety scares me to death. The ones I own that don't have a safety get carried without a round chambered & I'll take my chances, my other guns, S&W 2.0 with a safety I carry condition one, also with my Browning Hi Power & my 1911's, but again, not the guns with the so called trigger safety. To me that isn't a safety & I'll let you more experienced guys explain it to me.
Don't know that I've heard of anyone shooting themselves in the leg with their gun that has a safety but I sure have heard of guys shooting themselves with striker fired guns without a true safety. Take it easy with the name calling, I'm a life long shooter, USPSA shooter & have taken a lot of big game with revolvers. I shoot 3-4 times a week but again, those striker fired guns with no safety scare the hell out of me. Talk to me.

Dick

It's about the world's most famous "shot in the leg with a 1911" video and a 1911 has more than 1 safety.

Kimber Pro Carry 1911 in 45 ACP

That said - the best safety is still keeping your booger hook out of the trigger - as my old gun safety instructor used to say.
Posted By: ironbender Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
The 19 isn't ruled out as I still have magazines. smile
Problem solved! wink

At least worthwhile replacing the G19 even if you get another pistol, IMO.
Posted By: dla Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
S&W M&P 2.0

Very good gun.
Yep, the 4" barrel M&P is probably the best Glock 19 S&W ever built.

Now if the OP didn't want a safety lever there are couple of decent G19 clones - but thats not what the OP asked.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
I like the Glock 19 well enough that I've got two of them but I agree that the "so called trigger safety" is not much of a safety.
Posted By: TWR Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
Just my opinion, the invention of the Striker Control Device and kydex holsters give me as much or more confidence in the Glock trigger tab safety than a thumb safety, especially ambi thumb safeties. And one of my 2.0's had the thumb safety that was so mushy, it would easily bump off safe.

I know the G19 won't fire unless something presses the trigger, I keep my finger off the trigger until on target, keep my thumb on the SCD while holstering and once it's in the kydex holster, nothing can press the trigger.
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I like the Glock 19 well enough that I've got two of them but I agree that the "so called trigger safety" is not much of a safety.
It was put on the trigger face just so they could say they had another safety mechanism on it. Everyone knows it's worthless as a safety device. About as worthless as a safe with the combo taped above the dial.
Posted By: dla Re: G 19 alternative - 09/14/22
It was put on the trigger face just so they could say they had another safety mechanism on it. Everyone knows it's worthless as a safety device. About as worthless as a safe with the combo taped above the dial.
Amazingly stupid bit of non-think you've reposted.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
I always figured on a Glock the holster is the safety, closing firmly as it does around the trigger guard.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
Originally Posted by dla
It's a quote from Colonel Jeff Cooper. He was commenting on the uselessness of the Glock trigger safety. I think it's apt.
Posted By: MOGC Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I always figured on a Glock the holster is the safety, closing firmly as it does around the trigger guard.

I always figured it was the grey matter between the ears of the operator of the device that was the real safety.
Posted By: dla Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
Originally Posted by dla
It's a quote from Colonel Jeff Cooper. He was commenting on the uselessness of the Glock trigger safety. I think it's apt.
Either you misquoted Jeff or he was having a stroke when he wrote that. Personally I believe the former.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
Well, not sure how much I learned but at least no one hammered me. Guess I'll keep doing what I've always done, be safe!

Dick
dla, so I take it you think putting a safety on the face of a trigger is a useful feature?
Posted By: JPro Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
If you want another safety, the XD-series has a grip safety on top of the trigger safety. I have them in 9mm, 40S&W, and 10mm, as they fit my hand better than Glock offerings.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
I bought a Ruger Security 9 for 299.95 and tax at Rural King a while ago,...came with two 15 round magazines. It's obvious that its weight and overall dimensions are intended to mimic that of a Glock 19. It's a very good quality handgun at a reasonable price, although I think the price is now about $360.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
Well, not sure how much I learned but at least no one hammered me. Guess I'll keep doing what I've always done, be safe!

Dick

I used to shoot 1911's exclusively, shoot Glocks mostly now.
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on your target and there will be no issues, regardless of safety system.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
Truth is I mostly shoot revolvers but do carry semi's at times. But from what I read many of the self inflicted shots are from holstering, or trying to holster the gun when the shooter can't quite find his holster & gets a finger in the trigger well, am I correct or not?

Dick
"I'm the only one in this room professional enough to safely handle this Glock 40. It's unloaded, so don't worry."

BANG!!

"Shot myself. Hand me that other unloaded gun on the table. Don't worry, it's unloaded."

Crowd shouts, "No, put that gun down!"

grin

Posted By: ironbender Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
"I'm the only one in this room professional enough to safely handle this Glock 40. It's unloaded, so don't worry."

BANG!!

"Shot myself. Hand me that other unloaded gun on the table. Don't worry, it's unloaded."

grin

Not an accident.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
I have heard of a Glock ND while reholstering blamed on one of these...[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: SBTCO Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
Truth is I mostly shoot revolvers but do carry semi's at times. But from what I read many of the self inflicted shots are from holstering, or trying to holster the gun when the shooter can't quite find his holster & gets a finger in the trigger well, am I correct or not?

Dick

Probably true, similar examples exist in the revolver world, my father in law being an example.
Plugged himself in the thigh either coming out of or going into the holster during "quick draw" practice back in the 50's.

Rule #3. sometimes referred to as the golden rule.
Posted By: Slavek Re: G 19 alternative - 09/15/22
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I bought a Ruger Security 9 for 299.95 and tax at Rural King a while ago,...came with two 15 round magazines. It's obvious that its weight and overall dimensions are intended to mimic that of a Glock 19. It's a very good quality handgun at a reasonable price, although I think the price is now about $360.

šŸ¤”He stated "....closest quality pistol to Glock 19..."
Strum & Ruger stopped making SR series pistols a while back. Now they seem to be on a mission to produce least expensive pistols possible. Not sure if true, I heard rumors that their QC team consists of gun buyers?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: G 19 alternative - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not an accident.
He shot himself on purpose??
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: G 19 alternative - 09/16/22

BANG!!

grin

Never tire of watching that dumbass DEA Groid plugging himself.

Thatā€™s what you get with ā€œEqual Opportunityā€ hires šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
Posted By: Bristoe Re: G 19 alternative - 09/16/22

Strum & Ruger stopped making SR series pistols a while back. Now they seem to be on a mission to produce least expensive pistols possible. Not sure if true, I heard rumors that their QC team consists of gun buyers?

Who stated that?

Who stated that?

Slavek / Maser wouldnā€™t know Schitt vs Shinola about ANY Guns. He doesnā€™t own any. His Airsoft collection doesnā€™t count.

Just another worthless POS Troll.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: G 19 alternative - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by JPro
If you want another safety, the XD-series has a grip safety on top of the trigger safety. I have them in 9mm, 40S&W, and 10mm, as they fit my hand better than Glock offerings.

I have used them in 9, 40 and 45. Agree on all.
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Iā€™ve been looking hard at the XD-MĀ® ELITE 4.5ā€³ OSPā„¢ 10MM
I have to admit it fits my hand better than my Glock 20 in 10mm.

Only thing I didnā€™t like about it is the Trigger. Itā€™s not near as smooth as my Glock with the Glock 3.5 lb disconnect installed.
But, of course, Iā€™ve put several thousand rounds through it over the years. So the trigger has definitely gotten better with years of use. So probably not a fair comparison to a new gun with no usage to make it smoother.
Are there trigger kits / springs available for the Springfield XD series ?
Posted By: MOGC Re: G 19 alternative - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not an accident.
He shot himself on purpose??

Negligence ...
Posted By: MOGC Re: G 19 alternative - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

BANG!!

grin

Never tire of watching that dumbass DEA Groid plugging himself.

Thatā€™s what you get with ā€œEqual Opportunityā€ hires šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

This guy in the video was fired by the DEA after this incident. He later sued the DEA claiming he was wrongfully fired because what happened was an accident and not his fault. He also claimed this hurt his reputation and made it impossible for him to get a federal law enforcement job.
Posted By: JPro Re: G 19 alternative - 09/16/22

Only thing I didnā€™t like about it is the Trigger. Itā€™s not near as smooth as my Glock with the Glock 3.5 lb disconnect installed.
But, of course, Iā€™ve put several thousand rounds through it over the years. So the trigger has definitely gotten better with years of use. So probably not a fair comparison to a new gun with no usage to make it smoother.

I've been thinking about upgrading the trigger on a couple of mine. Looks like Powder River Precision offers the best trigger, while Apex offers a less expensive and easier to install trigger that's not quite as good. Springer is another name, but I mostly hear the XD fans gravitating toward the PPR models. I'm tempted to try one on my 10mm.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: G 19 alternative - 09/16/22

JPro covered most of the aftermarket XD stuff and the only other one I'm aware of is Springer Precision. I've had XDs since 2003 when there was practically no aftermarket for them and Springfield has always been stingy as hell with spare parts. Now Ebay is loaded with XD spares and nobody has to kiss SFA's ass for anything, LOL.

With XDs I have always just polished the interacting contact surfaces and left the springs alone. My Mod2 (With Grip Zone, Dammit!) 45 Sub settled in with a very nice 4 1/2# trigger with crisp second stage.

By comparison, I have a polished factory 4# connector I have plugged into various 40 and 45 caliber Glocks. It usually produces a 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 pound trigger comparable to what I described above. The XDs seem to have a bit more take-up or pre-travel, which I like on a trigger that light.

Hope that is of some help.

I've been thinking about upgrading the trigger on a couple of mine. Looks like Powder River Precision offers the best trigger, while Apex offers a less expensive and easier to install trigger that's not quite as good. Springer is another name, but I mostly hear the XD fans gravitating toward the PPR models. I'm tempted to try one on my 10mm.

Thanks. Iā€™ll look into them. Like I said, the only thing I didnā€™t like about the 10mm XD was the trigger.

I also looked at the suppressor ready version with the threaded barrel and oversized sights, for using with the suppressor on it. I liked it, but really have no need for a suppressed 10mm handgun. All the loads I shoot are maxed out reloads with a maximum load of AA-9 powder, or the Buffalo Boar 220 gr Hard Cast Outdoorsman Factory load.

JPro covered most of the aftermarket XD stuff and the only other one I'm aware of is Springer Precision. I've had XDs since 2003 when there was practically no aftermarket for them and Springfield has always been stingy as hell with spare parts. Now Ebay is loaded with XD spares and nobody has to kiss SFA's ass for anything, LOL.

With XDs I have always lust polished the interacting contact surfaces and left the springs alone. My Mod2 (With Grip Zone, Dammit!) 45 Sub settled in with a very nice 4 1/2# trigger with crisp second stage.

By comparison, I have a polished factory 4# connector I have plugged into various 40 and 45 caliber Glocks. It usually produces a 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 pound trigger comparable to what I described above. The XDs seem to have a bit more take-up or pre-travel, which I like on a trigger that light.

Hope that is of some help.

Thanks Sarge !
Posted By: cwh2 Re: G 19 alternative - 09/18/22
I'm a fan of the XD/XDM as well. I have an xd in .40, and xdms in 9mm and 10mm. I put a powder river trigger in the 10mm, and it is a noticeable improvement. I think I would shoot the stock trigger a bunch before I started replacing things.

Toltecgriz, that sucks! I would replace it with another 19 though.
Posted By: viking Re: G 19 alternative - 09/19/22
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: G 19 alternative - 09/24/22
Thanks to all for your ideas and participation. Lots to consider. I'm kinda liking the idea of a G-19/5 plus getting one of the other suggestions. Win-win as they say.
I didn't respond sooner as I have been away from the computer for about a week. No, nothing exciting.
© 24hourcampfire