Home
My Dad recently passed and I have some cash from his estate I would like to "invest" in a few guns. He had told me in the later years to "use the money for some stuff you normally wouldn't use your own for". I am thinking about a Freedom Arms in .454. I don't "need" the .454, but have a good amount of .45LC ammo already and figure the .454 is just a bonus if I ever need it. I have also looked at the various BFR revolvers and they seem to be a somewhat close second. Looking for real world experience with either.

Already have .357, .41, .44, .45LC revolvers set up for whitetail, along with 2 10mm hunting set ups.
Do you have kids to leave all your toys to and will they want them? I'd buy less stuff and more experiences, but that's me.

Sorry about your father.
Sorry for your loss.

As to "get stuff you wouldn't normally buy" - I think that's likely up to you what you would/wouldn't buy.

A FA doesn't make my socks go up and down but were I looking for an investment/something extra nice type of revolver - I'd probably have a good smith work something over to be bespoke rather than just buy an expensive, off the rack, revolver.

Maybe a Ruger Super Blackhawk worked over by Hamilton Bowen instead.
I always thought a Freedom Arms was just too expensive. I bought a used Model 83 in .454 Casull with a 7 1/2” barrel with a Leupold 2x scope and the first time I shot it with full house loads I giggled then asked myself “why did I wait so long?” I have had a bunch of Rugers and they are great but the FA is leaps and bounds above a Ruger. The fit, finish and the accuracy are pretty significant improvements over Ruger and BFRs. I liked it so much that I bought a brand new Model 97 in .22 LR/.22 Mag. So yes, in my opinion they are definitely worth the cost of admission
FAs are works of engineering marvel. The only other place I've seen workmanship of that caliber is on expensive European double rifles and shotguns. I have a 454 and like it very much. Do yourself a favor and do a side by side with an S&W or even a Colt Python, especially the cylinder lock up Truly impressive.
Don't know what they are selling for these days, but I have never regretted purchasing mine.
Freedom Arms revolvers are like a Swiss watch combined with a bank vault.

The only “drawbacks” to some folks are their rather short cylinders and the long wait time to get one.
My M-83 in 454 regrettably got sold to a buddy when I was in severe financial straits and the 454’s recoil was getting too much for my arthritic hands.
My daughter will inherit my M-97 in 41 mag. It is still and will remain my favorite firearm.
They were about $1000 when I bought mine. No way I could handle a .454 now, but I’d lean toward a M97 in .45 Colt with the .45 ACP cylinder. Get the trigger job and micarta stocks, bead front but no express rear sight, the square notch is much better for accuracy. It’s a very fine revolver, when mine was delivered the guys at the shop were amazed.
It's a difficult question to answer because it would be impossible to claim something that is machined to that level is not worth the money. They are incredibly well built.

But for me, they are not worth the coin if you are going to order one brand new. I do not like the size of 83. To me they are just too tank like. I do like the 97 and that is what I ordered, but the incredibly tight tolerances ended up being what I disliked about them. The action never rolls and clicks in your hand like a SAA or Ruger Blackhawk and the throats were so tight that I would have to rotate the cylinder and press extra super hard onto the case to get it to seat fully so I could rotate the cylinder. The folks at FA believe this is perfectly normal. I do not.

I don't need the throat on a .44 Special to be that tight. There is little doubt that a Freedom Arms revolver can shoot better than 99% of their owners, and that's really cool. But to leave close to $3K out of fun money circulation for that type of firearm is just silly in my opinion. Especially when you consider that they're making more every day and probably will continue to do so for some time. Now, if I could find a screaming deal on a 83 or 97 that was used, I'd probably be all over it. But I don't think that's what we are discussing based on your question.

If I was in your situation I would buy something that they're not making any more so you and your kids can enjoy them while you're still around. Old Colts and old Smiths would bring a lot higher pleasure to dollar ratio in my opinion.
Having no dog in this hunt, will offer a reality test:
My 45 Colts consist of two New Service Colts and a Ruger NM BHawk;
Actual use of the Ruger BH in Wyoming with 270-300 gr bullets.
Bears almost always require repeat shots. Grizzlies for sure.
Time in recoil is a factor, while a SA revolver allows aiming
carefully.

It will always be a personal decision.
You can look on Gunbroker and pick up a used custom Ruger by Stroh, Clements, Gallagher, Bowen, Linebaugh and others sometimes at very good prices. Sometimes they go for the price of a new one but it does cut out the 1 to 2 year wait time
Buy it and use it.
Originally Posted by pacecars
You can look on Gunbroker and pick up a used custom Ruger by Stroh, Clements, Gallagher, Bowen, Linebaugh and others sometimes at very good prices. Sometimes they go for the price of a new one but it does cut out the 1 to 2 year wait time

While excellent they do not equal an FA-83
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
Bears almost always require repeat shots. Grizzlies for sure.

You base this statement on what experience
The BFR is dollar for dollar the best buy. They are indeed as accurate and in many cases more accurate. Cylinder strength us a wash but the BFR frame is stronger. They are both made from the same material and the BFR frame is thicker
I always thought a Freedom Arms was just too expensive. I bought a used Model 83 in .454 Casull with a 7 1/2” barrel with a Leupold 2x scope and the first time I shot it with full house loads I giggled then asked myself “why did I wait so long?” I have had a bunch of Rugers and they are great but the FA is leaps and bounds above a Ruger. The fit, finish and the accuracy are pretty significant improvements over Ruger and BFRs. I liked it so much that I bought a brand new Model 97 in .22 LR/.22 Mag. So yes, in my opinion they are definitely worth the cost of admission
Agreed... These revolvers are like a very, very fine Swiss watch.....maybe better. smile

The statement about BFRs doesn't match my experience. BFRs are every bit the equal in accuracy and often even more accurate
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have an FA 83 and it is a fantastic gun but it is not up to my Linebaugh built .500 Linebaugh or the Clements .500 Linebaugh I had. I do like the 84 better than the Reeder I had but not by much. I haven’t had a Bowen, Stroh or Gallagher gun yet but by all accounts they too are better than a Freedom Arms. I left one out that builds fantastic guns and that is Jack Huntington. Of course your opinion may be different from mine and this is just my opinion

I have an FA 83 and it is a fantastic gun but it is not up to my Linebaugh built .500 Linebaugh or the Clements .500 Linebaugh I had. I do like the 84 better than the Reeder I had but not by much. I haven’t had a Bowen, Stroh or Gallagher gun yet but by all accounts they too are better than a Freedom Arms. I left one out that builds fantastic guns and that is Jack Huntington. Of course your opinion may be different from mine and this is just my opinion

I bought my first Custom in 1985 it was a Bisley converted to 475 Linebaugh by Hamilton Bowen. I own many by Jack Huntington who is first rate.

But they are still Rugers and often the cuts in the frame aren't as precisely located as they should be and adjustments have to be made for them to function. Not the case with FA revolvers they are precise. This informatipn has came from Jack as Well as John Linebaugh. The customs can be wonderfully accurate but the frames aren't as strong.

The BFRs are very well built and are super strong
I owned a handful of Freedom Arms revolvers. All were truly beautiful examples of machined artistry. All you need to is pull back the hammer and feel the precision. For the most part they are worth the price of admission.
The BFR’s for all intentions are just as accurate, sometimes maybe more so. But the difference is not significant.
The BFR can be bought for roughly 1/3rd the cost of a new Premier grade FA.
If accuracy is your main concern buy the BFR
If accuracy AND fit, finish, and artistry in metal if what you prefer buy the FA.
Frankly I would opt for Bighorn rifle. With the funds, you could get a nice Bighorn 454 and a FA 454.
What pair of fine Wyoming made firearms they would be.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I owned a handful of Freedom Arms revolvers. All were truly beautiful examples of well machine artistry. All you need to is pull back the hammer and feel the precision. For the most part they are worth the price of admission.
The BFR’s for all intentions are just as accurate, sometimes maybe more so. But the difference is not significant.
If accuracy AND fit, finish, and artistry in metal if what you prefer buy the FA.

This^^^^ excellent explanation
[quote=Snowwolfe]I owned a handful of Freedom Arms revolvers. All were truly beautiful examples of well machine artistry. All you need to is pull back the hammer and feel the precision. For the most part they are worth the price of admission.

I’ve never owned a BFR, but owned one field grade Freedom Arms in 454 Casull. Concur with the first paragraph above completely. One of the most precisely produced firearms that I’ve ever owned. Superb handguns. Always reminded me of a bank vault when I cocked the hammer.
If you want a Chevy, buy a Chevy. If you want a Corvette you're going to expect a pay a bit more. Same with a FA, you get what you pay for. I've had one BFR & it shot just fine but I could not warm up to that grip frame so it didn't last long even though it shot just fine. My FA 41 magnum shoots as good as a rifle if I'm doing my part & on a good day a 454 is almost as good.
You don't have to shoot top end loads in a 454, you can down load 454 loads to match a heavy 45 & still be very happy with the results. It really comes down to what you want, it's out there if you want it, trust me.

Dick
I have had my FA Model 97 in .22LR/ .22 Mag. for twenty years. If I ordered it today it would cost $3,900 plus the holster. Worth every penny. I would do it again.

A modified Ruger is still a Ruger, no matter how nice. I have no experience with BFR, but I don’t spend money on second tier stuff, given a choice.
Originally Posted by fshaw
[quote=Snowwolfe]I owned a handful of Freedom Arms revolvers. All were truly beautiful examples of well machine artistry. All you need to is pull back the hammer and feel the precision. For the most part they are worth the price of admission.

I’ve never owned a BFR, but owned one field grade Freedom Arms in 454 Casull. Concur with the first paragraph above completely. One of the most precisely produced firearms that I’ve ever owned. Superb handguns. Always reminded me of a bank vault when I cocked the hammer.

Dick, Jack Huntington did a grip modification on BFRs corrected the grip shape, BFR now produces them with this grip shape
I've had one BFR and it was really good. Worth the price. Also I've had several Freedom Arms 83 revolvers and two Bowen customs. Mechanically there's nothing built like the Frredom Arms quality. They are extremely precise.

I prefer the Freedom Arms grip and the current BFR grip over the Ruger bisley grip for my larger hands. It's just how they fit me. The one place where the Bowen revolvers excelled was mine had Bowen sights and the front xpress band style front sight. The heavy barrel and front sight Bowen puts on is simply beautiful.

My first FA83 was around $800 and I've owned several and hunted big things with them. Sold them off and gave one to my boy. I'll probably pick up another ar some point because nothing at the price point compares and is as fine. You'd have to spend lots more money to get that quality anywhere and there's many rifles not nearly as well built fetching 3k-7k+ that I refer to as "me too" rifles. No of these compare to the quality of FA
I've had several FA 83's over the years starting in the late '80s - early '90s when they could be had for around $1k. Shot them alot back then but moved away from them for a number of years.

In 2009, I was passing through Post Falls, ID and Cabelas had a used FA 83 premiere grade 454 with Leupold 2x scope in the box. The box was oversized to fit the scope and appeared to have been ordered that way from the factory. They had it marked at $1200 and the same revolver w/out scope I'd been seeing priced at around $1700 at the time. The price seemed to good to be true so I bought it and haven't regretted it. I did have FA shorten the barrel from 7.5" to 6" and like it even better.

As others have said, the workmanship is unmatched and the price reflects it. I wouldn't pay the going rate for a new one, but if the right deal come along on a good used one, I'd jump on it.

I don't shoot full power 454 loads anymore. 300 - 350 gr cast bullets around 1100 fps is about tops for me. If I feel the need for more, I'd much rather shoot my 5 shot Ruger Bisly 480 grin
JWP, if you say BFRs are that good, I'll have to go and look at one. The only reason I have my FA is I got it for a really good price and it look hardly used. Anyway, here's my 454 C:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That is a damn good looking and perfectly proportioned revolver Jorge.

Excellent summary Flave.
Originally Posted by deflave
It's a difficult question to answer because it would be impossible to claim something that is machined to that level is not worth the money. They are incredibly well built.

But for me, they are not worth the coin if you are going to order one brand new. I do not like the size of 83. To me they are just too tank like. I do like the 97 and that is what I ordered, but the incredibly tight tolerances ended up being what I disliked about them. The action never rolls and clicks in your hand like a SAA or Ruger Blackhawk and the throats were so tight that I would have to rotate the cylinder and press extra super hard onto the case to get it to seat fully so I could rotate the cylinder. The folks at FA believe this is perfectly normal. I do not.

I don't need the throat on a .44 Special to be that tight. There is little doubt that a Freedom Arms revolver can shoot better than 99% of their owners, and that's really cool. But to leave close to $3K out of fun money circulation for that type of firearm is just silly in my opinion. Especially when you consider that they're making more every day and probably will continue to do so for some time. Now, if I could find a screaming deal on a 83 or 97 that was used, I'd probably be all over it. But I don't think that's what we are discussing based on your question.

If I was in your situation I would buy something that they're not making any more so you and your kids can enjoy them while you're still around. Old Colts and old Smiths would bring a lot higher pleasure to dollar ratio in my opinion.

I've seen the throats too tight and sent one back FA fir correction and asked for a lighter trigger they said we'd have to pay for the trigger work. They corrected the throats and performed the trigger slick up all for free
Dick, Jack Huntington did a grip modification on BFRs corrected the grip shape, BFR now produces them with this grip shape

I had Jack modify the grip on a BFR 500 JRH I used to own.

The Bisley model BFR currently sells does not resemble Jacks design unless you are you saying that BFR now offers a "Jack Huntington" grip model?

I own two of the latest BFR Bisley models. Good design to shoot, ugly to look at.

Jacks version is much better but he told me he can not convert the Bisley model to his design.
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I have had my FA Model 97 in .22LR/ .22 Mag. for twenty years. If I ordered it today it would cost $3,900 plus the holster. Worth every penny. I would do it again.

Woof! Prices have gone up a ton, apparently. Glad I ordered mine when I did.. eek

A M97 in .22 Mag would be da bo-mb... laugh
Bought one in .22 because that’s what I shoot the majority of the time.

Fantastic craftsmanship and everything I hope it would be. Not cheap but definitely falls under the buy once cry once category…
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

I had Jack modify the grip on a BFR 500 JRH I used to own.

The Bisley model BFR currently sells does not resemble Jacks design unless you are you saying that BFR now offers a "Jack Huntington" grip model?

I own two of the latest BFR Bisley models. Good design to shoot, ugly to look at.

Jacks version is much better but he told me he can not convert the Bisley model to his design.

Good info
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Bought one in .22 because that’s what I shoot the majority of the time.

Fantastic craftsmanship and everything I hope it would be. Not cheap but definitely falls under the buy once cry once category…

I kick myself for not buying a 97 in .22 LR with the match chambers. Nope, had to have a .32 H&R Magnum…. They were still about $1,000 then.
Sorry about your Pop, and yes, worth every dime, we have no guarantees, buy one and enjoy the hell out of it while you can, you'll not be disappointed. smile
I have two FA Model 97s - a .41 Mag 6 inch and a .357 5-1/2 inch. They are far and away the finest handguns I've ever owned. The level of precision is astounding. Before I bought them I had a Smith & Wesson 945 from the custom shop, which I thought was phenomenal. The 945 didn't hold a candle to the FAs.
Damn you guys. Get this freedom arms thought out of my head.
Originally Posted by cwh2
Damn you guys. Get this freedom arms thought out of my head.
LMAO... Well, good luck sir...
owned colts, a ton of S&W's, rugers, etc.... but none of them comes close to my FA 97 in terms of quality. I would recommend it
Pandora’s box here….

How much does the idea of carrying a FA with an empty chamber sway you?

I am considering a .475/480 for a backpack/hiking sidearm but the chatter on the empty chamber has me paused. I know the guns are built like a fine Swiss watch but…..
Originally Posted by Sako
owned colts, a ton of S&W's, rugers, etc.... but none of them comes close to my FA 97 in terms of quality. I would recommend it
Aren’t 97’s safer than 83’s regarding their hammer block system, thus empty chamber under the hammer.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Aren’t 97’s safer than 83’s regarding their hammer block system, thus empty chamber under the hammer.

DF

That’s correct, model 97s have a transfer bar and unlike the model 83s are safe to carry with one under the hammer.

I had a model 97 in .45 Colt. I’ll second the comments about the quality of these things. Cylinder lockup was like a swiss safe But alas I’m at the point in my life where safe queens no longer have an attraction to me and I sold it.
Originally Posted by McInnis

DF

That’s correct, model 97s have a transfer bar and unlike the model 83s are safe to carry with one under the hammer.

I had a model 97 in .45 Colt. I’ll second the comments about the quality of these things. Cylinder lockup was like a swiss safe But alas I’m at the point in my life where safe queens no longer have an attraction to me and I sold it.

The .475/480s are only offered in the 83s, correct?
Originally Posted by JRS3
Originally Posted by McInnis

DF

The .475/480s are only offered in the 83s, correct?
The big frame is the 83. 97’s are six shooters in .357, five shooters in .45 Colt.

Agree on the bank vault lock up and amazing accuracy.

DF
If you have a problem with Ruger Bisleys then Ronnie Wells is your go to guy
With 5 FA's in possession since the late 80's.

I prefer the 83's over the 97's...but FA would not build me a 22LR/22Mag on a 83 frame.....decades ago.

The misinformation posted above regarding a FA 83 having to be carried on an empty cylinder is TOTAL BULL [bleep].

One IDIOT from the lower 48, hunting in AK removed the transfer bar from his FA 83 in 454 Casull, bent over w/ pistol in a hap hazard chest rig which fell out & shot himself in the head when it hit the ground...muzzle up as he & son a few yards away that witnessed his Dad's [bleep] up.

The family attemped to sue FA & lost the case when it was divulged that the pistol was BASTARDIZED by the owner.

You can not fix STUPID.
Originally Posted by DANS40XC
With 5 FA's in possession since the late 80's.

I prefer the 83's over the 97's...but FA would not build me a 22LR/22Mag on a 83 frame.....decades ago.

The misinformation posted above regarding a FA 83 having to be carried on an empty cylinder is TOTAL BULL [bleep].

One IDIOT from the lower 48, hunting in AK removed the transfer bar from his FA 83 in 454 Casull, bent over w/ pistol in a hap hazard chest rig which fell out & shot himself in the head when it hit the ground...muzzle up as he & son a few yards away that witnessed his Dad's [bleep] up.

The family attemped to sue FA & lost the case when it was divulged that the pistol was BASTARDIZED by the owner.

You can not fix STUPID.

The FA-83 does not have a transfer bar
Buy the Freedom Arms. ... here's why.

I have been paring down my assortment of firearms this past 10+ years. I've had some nice stuff, but not deluxe stuff. Probably like most gun owners, I don't shoot as much as as I would like. Over time I realized I didn't need four L-frame S&W 357 mags, or a few Rem 700 Classics , multiple JC Higgins model 50/51 with commercial FN 98 actions etc, etc ( I know, "need" has nothing to do with it).

You look at the money spent on those multiple "middle of the road" nice firearms purchased at ~$300-500 /each (years ago), and think, "I could've had one truly well-made precision gun "X", with money left over."

At this stage of my life, I am more interested in quality than quantity. Working a well-made action is a true pleasure to me. If my eyes were up to it, I would take the funds created from selling off 20+ firearms, and buy a Freedom Arms ( mine would be 44 mag). I wouldn't buy it as "an investment", but as an item to enjoy and appreciate its precision.

Good luck, and enjoy your purchase if you make the decision.
Here's my Premier grade FA .454 Casull, which I had FA build for me in 1984. It has a 10" MagNaPorted octagon barrel, TSOB base and rings, trigger set at 2.75#, and sling studs. After many hundreds of rounds thru it, last year I sent it back to FA and had the forcing cone replaced and a replaceable firing pin installed.
In the past, I have also owned Casulls in 7.5" and 4.75" barreled versions, but sold them and kept this one, which I prefer for hunting. I am presently loading up my dwindling supply of the original FA 260 gr JFP bullets in preparation for an upcoming hog hunt in TX. Wish they were still making this bullet- I once shot a boar hog that was facing me, bullet went in between the shoulders, traversed the full length of the hog, and exited.
I always carry it with the hammer down on an empty chamber, for safety.
During the time I've owned it, I have had 2 Leupold 4x and 2 Burris 4x pistol scopes on it- all 4 were sent back to the factory to be repaired after excessive recoil did them in. I now have an Ultradot Gen 2 mounted up, with zero problems so far.
I currently own two Rugers in .480 Ruger, a SRH and a SBH Bisley- both reliable, rugged firearms, but the FA is like an old friend.
To build this handgun today would probably run well over $3K! My nearly 40 YO version will last me as long as I am around, I'm sure.

Nice. I like that octagonal barrel.

My 97 is a six shooter in .357. I worked up 180 gr. loads and needed a taller front sight. FA knew exactly what I needed, sent me the right one. I changed them with an Allen wrench, a quick swap out. It now shoots heavier bullets to exact POA.

FA makes an impressive revolver and they have equally impressive customer service.

Below is line bored .45 Colt, formally a .44 Mag three screw SBH before Jim Stroh got hold of it. Long extractor, 6" Shilen barrel and front sight milled by Jim. It shoots almost as good as the factory FA .357. I fitted the stag grips with Ruger medallion.

By the time you get a Ruger customized to shoot almost as good as an FA, you could about have bought an FA. Although I traded for this one, didn't pay retail, they have gotten pretty pricey. But so has top end custom work. This level of quality and precision is never cheap, nor should it be.

DF

Are they worth the extra $$$…….we’ll really you’re the only one that can answer that question. As others have mentioned the quality is at the top for a “factory” revolver as is accuracy. DeFlave pretty much hit the nail on the head though - I personally can’t shoot it (offhand or in field hunting positions) any more accurate than other quality revolvers (Smith, Ruger, Dan Wesson, and Colt as well as a few Taurus and others). I have 97s in .22, 32 H&R and .41 and many of the other revolver makes, in the same chambering, I’ve mentioned will shoot with them (in my hands). So is it worth it? If you appreciate high quality built things that should hold value well then I’d say yes - if you appreciate a “tool” that will get the job done without a hitch then I’d say no. I like my other revolvers just as much but there is something special about picking up and shooting a FA revolver that is hard to describe.

Just my 2 cents,

PennDog
Good point regarding general use.

If the FA out groups others on a bench, that may not make much difference in the field. But to a Loony that may be important.

DF

If the FA out groups others on a bench, that may not make much difference in the field. But to a Loony that may be important.

DF

Accuracy should always be important! S&W, Rugers occasionally will shoot with a FA revolver but FA revolvers are always very accurate or FA will correct them.

DF

Accuracy should always be important! S&W, Rugers occasionally will shoot with a FA revolver but FA revolvers are always very accurate or FA will correct them.
^^^^^This^^^^^
Everyone needs to make their own mind up as to where their level of satisfaction is vs cost. I will never sell either of my Freedom Arms revolvers.
I looked into them at one time and was put off by the same as above...basically a 4 shot revolver in big bores.

If I got one it would be a 22 I think, they are supposed to be ridiculously accurate.

Sorry for the loss of your dad. Remember, you don't have to spend all of that fun money at once.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Freedom Arms... worth the $$$? - 11/14/22
The carry necessity of hammer on an empty chamber is what put me off of the Model 83; four shots is not enough IMO.

The 97 is another thing altogether, and my only struggle is which one and prying my wallet open. Beautifully made revolvers.
Originally Posted by GF1
The carry necessity of hammer on an empty chamber is what put me off of the Model 83; four shots is not enough IMO.

If you hit what you are shooting at, 4 is plenty. Or you can carry 5 if you don't drop your revolver on the hand surface that breaks the Hammer block
Originally Posted by GF1

If you hit what you are shooting at, 4 is plenty. Or you can carry 5 if you don't drop your revolver on the hand surface that breaks the Hammer block

We’ll just have to disagree on that one, on both counts.
Even though the hammer block on the 97 is reportedly an improvement over the 83, I still carry my 97 six gun style, hammer on an empty chamber. Just a habit, I guess.

DF
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1

How many rounds does your hunting rifle hold?
How many does your shotgun hold? Your not going into combat
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1

How many rounds does your hunting rifle hold?
How many does your shotgun hold? Your not going into combat

You’re not wrong, I’m not wrong. We just disagree. I am sure we both have long experience that drives our positions on things like this. So be it.
Short Answer, No..... unless it's going to be a Safe-Queen, they are not practical in the Real-World, had a 97 .44spl. and a 83 .44mag, once I got my Ruger Bisley BH Hunter Done, I sold them both, and haven't looked back..... cool

Attached picture LJ's Ruger SBH Bisley-Hunter Gun-Fighter_Grips 002.jpg
Attached picture LJ's Ruger SBH Bisley-Hunter Gun-Fighter_Grips 003.jpg
Attached picture LJ's Ruger SBH Bisley-Hunter Gun-Fighter_Grips 008.jpg
Attached picture LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter (1).JPG
Attached picture LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter (2).jpg
I think everyone should have one.
I am still trying to figure out which one to get next
I am still trying to figure out which one to get next
Get TWO! smile
Not sure if its been mentioned, but I've always viewed the Magnum Research BFR's as sort of the "poor man's Freedom Arms". I have a couple of the BFR's, one in a .454 Casull and the other in a 5-shot .45 Colt. Lockup and fitting feels more solid than any of my Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks, and they are considerably cheaper than the FA's. Don't get me wrong, I've always lusted after one, just can't justify the expense.
Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh, 4-3/4" barrel is probably my most favorite of all larger bore revolvers.

But, I have no issues with the 480 4-5/8" Ruger Bisley. I don't clench my teeth nearly as much when the Ruger receives a character mark when being carried.

I think highly of the BFR is also.
Owned many freedoms over the years. While they are works of art, they are far from perfect. Ive had them so tight that the cylinder would bind and need cleaned after 40 rounds fired. To me, they arent worth the price. Ive sold all of mine and currently own a BFR in 500 jrh. I wouldnt trade that firearm for any freedom made. Its more accurate, stronger and pretty damn sexy. Anyone looking for a freedom should run a bfr. Pretty sure youll be skipping out on the freedom
If I didnt already have a brass frame SBH Id have a BFR.
Little 500 JRH BFR porn. Shoots so damn well
My most recent revolver purchase is an FA 454. It’s worth it. Every single penny.
I don't have one, but have had one, damn glad I did. I got rid of it during a paring down period.

But when I got it, & as a along time gun fancier, plus tool maker I inspected, measured, & perused it six ways from Sunday. "A fine piece of work"
I've packed a .454 FA for years, and it always put the grizzlies down fast, never worried about only having 4 shots because by that time they'd be chewing on me. Never needed more than 2 shots, and the 2nd was insurance! Also have 3 others, only because I appreciate quality that leads to confidence in my gun!
© 24hourcampfire