Home
Posted By: Anaconda Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
G 20SF
The full size 10 mm Glock.
I want a new gun, and after narrowing the field down, I have about decided on another Glock
(already have a compact 9mm)
This isn't something I need, just a fathers day present for myself.

Does anybody have any experience with the 20SF ?
Any reason I should not get one ?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
Starting with Gen 4, they are all SF (Short Frame). I have a Gen 4 Model 20. It's a Glock. If you like Glocks, you will like it. Reliable. No issues. Accurate enough. You might want some better aftermarket sights.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
I bought a blue label one in Texas a few years ago. I carried it a bit as an armed guard loaded with Team Never Quit 125 grain ammo. It’s a Glock…… a lot of pistol for the money.

I drew blood on a 🐗 at 40 yards with it shooting Hornandy 180’s.
Posted By: TWR Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
The Gen 5 versions are out now and available with the MOS cut. I bought the 21 Gen 5 and stuck a Holosun 407C on it, love the gun. The G20.5 with a dot to really help longer range shots would be a great field gun.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
I have the model 40 with red dot set up for hunting. Great gun
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
hard to speak negatively about a Glock 10mm. it's a toss up wheth I have mine of a 629 Mt gun on me in the brush
Posted By: tmitch Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
I'd opt for the MOS version if possible. I have a G40 MOS set up with a RDS and it's a smooth shooter.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
So many MOS faggots.

Hah, just kidding. grin
Posted By: SU35 Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
I shoot a G20. I changed out the barrel to a KKM and a 20 lb spring.

I handload all my ammo and shoot 200 and 220 HC in it.

I'm very satisfied with it.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So many MOS faggots.

Hah, just kidding. grin

Yeah, yeah.

At this point, there aren't many pistols - and certainly no plastic ones - that I would buy without being optics-ready..... even if I have no intention of putting an optic on it. Options are good. And resale is likely going to be better.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Glock 10mm - 06/16/23
Originally Posted by SU35
I shoot a G20. I changed out the barrel to a KKM and a 20 lb spring.

I handload all my ammo and shoot 200 and 220 HC in it.

I'm very satisfied with it.

I put a KKM barrel in my G29 and shrunk my 25 yd groups in half. The Dawson adjustable rear and Ameri glo front were worth additions as well.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
Originally Posted by Anaconda
G 20SF
I want a new gun, and after narrowing the field down, I have about decided on another Glock

It does well helping control recoil when actual 10mm loads are used. I would not get SF now because these do not come with slides cut of optic. Let us be honest this thing is not going to be suitable for CCW, therefore, I would take serious look at G40 MOS.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
Originally Posted by Slavek
G 20SF

It does well helping control recoil when actual 10mm loads are used. I would not get SF now because these do not come with slides cut of optic. Let us be honest this thing is not going to be suitable for CCW, therefore, I would take serious look at G40 MOS.
Glock gen3 was available in sf, the fourth and fifth gen are sf by default.
Should've googled harder dipschit.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
Originally Posted by Raferman
G 20SF

What American Druid is trying to say is Gen 4 and Gen 5 w/o MBS istalled are basically Gen 3 SF. Sorry, I just noticed OP is in Kalifornijskaja Republika Rad, only Gen 3 on can buy list, sorry.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
Originally Posted by Raferman
G 20SF

What American Druid is trying to say is Gen 4 and Gen 5 w/o MBS istalled are basically Gen 3 SF. Sorry, I just noticed OP is in Kalifornijskaja Republika Rad, only Gen 3 on can buy list, sorry.
Just stop Jason.
Posted By: goalie Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
G 20SF

40 doesn't fit in my HPG chest rig like a 20.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
had the option of getting the 20 but went with the Glock 40 MOS and just got a KKM barrel with the brake, have yet to install new barrel, maybe this weekend ..

currently carry the XDM-Elite in a chest rig and the 40 fits in it
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
I have a G40 MOS, with holosun and with KKM installed for sale....
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
I've got a G40 Gen 4 with an RMR 2. Accurate, soft-shooting gun. I run 180's to 220's and it gobbles them all up.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
I suggest you take a look at the new Smith and Wesson M&P in 10mm before you buy the Glock.....just saying.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
I went with the Glock 20 and love it. Def limited here in regards to newer handguns
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
I shot a bunch of my Poly-Coat 40+P loads through my Gen 5 G20. The gun gobbled them up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Gen5 G20 is a solid gun.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
I have a G20, I believe it’s Gen 3. Mine is very accurate. They are big and heavy. Nothing bad to say about it; I like it, a lot. But it is a big, heavy gun. You should be sure to handle one before buying. I have big hands and the grip still feels phat to me.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
I have a G20.4
Very accurate with OEM barrel
I don't think it's much bigger than a G17
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
I put a KKM barrel on my Glock 40.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Swamplord Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Glock 10mm - 06/17/23
I have a 6" KKM 10 MM barrel I used on a gen 3 Glock. does anyone know if it would fit a Gen 5?
Posted By: viking Re: Glock 10mm - 06/19/23

I carried a mag of this stuff when I was and armed guard in a bank. (team never quit ammunition).

Those and a mag of hard cast check a lot of boxes.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Glock 10mm - 06/19/23
I went through the same review about 4-5 years ago and ended up with a G20. It shoots Buffalo Bore and Underwood 200's reasonably well, carries well in my HPG, and is very shootable. I like the G20 alot.

I toyed with the idea of G40 a time or 3 but when I want serious firepower I pull out the Ruger Hawgleg (480 R) or the baby Hawgleg (45 colt w/warm loads). I'm more accurate with either Ruger at 50 yards than I am the G20 - but I didn't buy the G20 for 50 yards shooting, more like 50 inches when it matters.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Glock 10mm - 06/19/23
Got this one four or five years ago to pack around at the Campfire hog hunts. Cabelas had the Gen 3 on sale and I had enough points to get it free.

Pretty much paid the original cost by upgrades. Put on some tritium Trijicons a Zev trigger and a KKM barrel. Had some frame and slide alterations then cerakote. I like how it came out.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Glock 10mm - 06/19/23
Have never owned a Glock....

What have I missed ?

Never have had any issues with my XD-M's

Let the flames begin

Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 10mm - 06/19/23
The main advantages of a Glock vs something like the XD is that it's a dream to strip down to the last part and reassemble, unlike the XD. Also, therefore, replacing parts is that simple, too, and there's tons of aftermarket support for Glocks. Not nearly so much for the XD. They are likely about equally reliable and robust, though.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Glock 10mm - 06/19/23
The main advantages of a Glock vs something like the XD is that it's a dream to strip down to the last part and reassemble, unlike the XD. Also, therefore, replacing parts is that simple, too, and there's tons of aftermarket support for Glocks. Not nearly so much for the XD. They are likely about equally reliable and robust, though.

I can not imagine any thing easier than a SA XD M Elite to pull down to clean

I can do it in the dark with a blind fold

Pic......45 ACP

Posted By: K1500 Re: Glock 10mm - 06/20/23
Well…an XD sure has a way of making a Glock look pretty by comparison.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Glock 10mm - 06/20/23
Originally Posted by tikkanut

I can not imagine any thing easier than a SA XD M Elite to pull down to clean

I can do it in the dark with a blind fold

Pic......45 ACP

There's no denying that the XD is more complex, and the XDM even more so. But I think it's worth it. I never shot any Glock as well as I do the XDME.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Glock 10mm - 06/20/23
Had a gen 3 SF. Liked it. Wanted a threaded barrel so I figured I’d pick up a G21 and convert it to 10mm and have a 45 too. You can pick up a used g21 pretty cheap and convert to 10mm for ~$150.

I purchased a Gen 5 21 and really like it. Unfortunately they changed the Gen 5 enough the aftermarket barrels don’t fit and converting to 10mm isn’t currently possible. Guess I’ll have to buy another gen 3 or 4 so I can use my suppressor when it gets out of jail. Or hopefully someone will offer a threaded barrel option
Posted By: LNF150 Re: Glock 10mm - 06/23/23
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I suggest you take a look at the new Smith and Wesson M&P in 10mm before you buy the Glock.....just saying.

I started with the above gun with the 4.6" barrel and had enough issues it got sent back to the mothership. Mag drops while cycling the ammo and failure to feed were on again, off again problems. It shot really well when I got it back for about 5 rounds then started its acting up again. The tall cowitnessing iron sights weren't for me either.

Traded it for a new Glock 20sf gen 3 and life is good.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Glock 10mm - 06/30/23
JLimbo, that's nicely done!

I was dissatisfied with the 20 even after changing the front sight and connector. Bought the M&P and tried to sell the Glock. Then I realized it's just as good, maybe better than the new kid. Heavier, but softer shooter. Trigger not so bad after all the dry firing. Maybe more reliable, but I got confused shooting so much 40 ammo. Glock don't care but M&P does often enough. This isn't even an academic problem if you just shoot the proper ammo. I'd rather shoot hot stuff in the Glock for sure even if the Smith is slightly more accurate with current sights, and is more tolerant of the hard cast stuff, which I don't believe in to begin with. But many do.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Glock 10mm - 06/30/23
I carried a G20 and one in the SF configuration daily for several years every where. The G20 was the first gun I carried when I got my concealed weapons permit. I had no problem carrying it in an IWB. I used silver tips when I carried every day and 200 gr hard cast in the woods. It worked well on pigs and deer and luckily I never had to shoot someone in self defense (knock on wood).
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Glock 10mm - 06/30/23
We are actually planning on shooting some 10mm at steel this weekend if we brave the heat.

My glock is a model 20 gen 4. I have the kkm barrel (both 10mm and 40sw...found out I probably didn't need the 40sw barrel from others experiences...but had already ordered it and will use it as needed), the original factory barrel shot fine but I wanted confidence with reloads and didn't want to worry about the factory polygonal rifling warning. I also bought some trijicon sites and had them installed for three dot woods walking/site picture in the shade.

It's a good pistol, no issues with 500 rounds thus far. I'd purchase again if I ever lost it.

I also have a 10mm/40mm Blackhawk - wildly different platform - very fun to shoot.

YMMV,

John
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Glock 10mm - 07/17/23
Model 40 MOS that I like quite a bit.

Posted By: cs2blue Re: Glock 10mm - 07/18/23
I have only handled a G20. I have small hands and that gun is just to big for my paw.
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: Glock 10mm - 07/23/23
I have had all three Glock 10mms. The 29SF, 20SF and 40MOS. They all shot as expected; they are a Glock after all, love or hate them. With that said, the 20 is the only one I still have. The 29 wasn't bad but I have other, better compacts for concealed carry and for open woods carry there just wasn't anything it did that the didnt do better. The 40MOS was probably the biggest letdown for me, even after the standard, normal glock upgrades I always felt that it was a glock trying to be something it wasn't. I have a couple of other 6" 10s and they beat the 40 in every way, so down the road she went. The 20 is a time proven platform and a great jack of all trades woods pistol, but to me they are just a tool and have about as much soul as an Estwing hammer. If I were to start fresh today for a woods carry 10mm I would be comparing the G20, X Ten. And the M&P 10. From there is just finding which platform fits you the best.

With that said, current G20 is a gen 3 SF model, KKM barrel, Ghost 3.5 trigger set, Hackathorn sights, heavy stainless guide rod w/20lb spring. Shoots good and is 100% reliable. Not crazy about its ergonomics and after owning many different Glocks, is the only one that I own anymore with no plans on getting another.
© 24hourcampfire