Home
Posted By: hillestadj SA Echelon - 07/22/23
Anybody out there #varmintfingered one of these yet? Interested in picking up a striker fired pistol and giving an RDS a try but have not been able to lay hands on one local yet.

Appreciate real life good/bad on them, hold the Springfield is dead to me lectures if you can.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: SA Echelon - 07/23/23
I haven’t had a chance to handle one, but they look like they’d be worth trying. No SA hating here…I own 3. If they’d bring out a 10mm version of this Echelon in a compact(3”to 4” range), they could easily talk me into needing it. Would be interested in a shake down of these new SA pistols as well.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/23/23
No.

But if I see one I'll buy it and let you know.

Black Scorpion already has holsters if you're in need.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 07/24/23
Originally Posted by deflave
No.

But if I see one I'll buy it and let you know.

Black Scorpion already has holsters if you're in need.

You are a generous god.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/24/23
I lied.

I found one and didn't buy it. Mostly because they had no mags to go with it and it only comes with two mags. And one is a 17 rounder which is gay.

But I will say the trigger felt legit.

Time will tell.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 07/25/23
I saw 20 rounders don't seem to have filtered out yet, see 17s available.

Hopefully they start to trickle out here.

Thoughts on the trigger noted...

Might cave and go for an optic ready P-10 F if I can't lay hands on an Echelon soon. Or buy both. Or neither. IDK
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/25/23
If you don't have an existing platform I would probably give it a go. The grip angle seems more normal and less Glock which to me is a plus. It also seems slim which is another plus.

I get really irritated when something like a plastic 9mm drops and it comes with two mags and I can't buy more mags with it.

It also says Croatia on the side of it. I don't care for that.

Front tritium and $700 out the door isn't bad though. And the LGS I was in is pretty high usually so it is likely cheaper other places.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: SA Echelon - 07/25/23
If you don't have an existing platform I would probably give it a go. The grip angle seems more normal and less Glock which to me is a plus. It also seems slim which is another plus.

I get really irritated when something like a plastic 9mm drops and it comes with two mags and I can't buy more mags with it.

Front tritium and $700 out the door isn't bad though. And the LGS I was in is pretty high usually so it is likely cheaper other places.

The original XD design is from Croatia too. I won a HS-2000 at a banquet years ago. Didn’t care for it and traded it.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: SA Echelon - 07/25/23
Originally Posted by mrfudd

The original XD design is from Croatia too. I won a HS-2000 at a banquet years ago. Didn’t care for it and traded it.

All XD models are from Croatia. But who cares? Glocks were originally from Austria. Walthers from Germany. Berettas from Italy. So what?

I'm with the "no sale until mags widely available" policy too though.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 07/25/23
Looks pretty good. I'd like to try one out.

Posted By: Slavek Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by mrfudd

All XD models are from Croatia. But who cares? Glocks were originally from Austria. Walthers from Germany. Berettas from Italy. So what?

I'm with the "no sale until mags widely available" policy too though.

Croats had Ustase government during Worl War II.😱
Posted By: Slavek Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23

Made in 🇭🇷? I would not hold that against SA. Austrians produced: Hitler, Göth, Kaltenbrunner, Eichmann, Stangl,....☠️. Glock made in 🇦🇹 😱
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
So you're saying Glock is the ticket...
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
Originally Posted by hillestadj
So you're saying Glock is the ticket...
Yep and you’re a fa gg for asking.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
Right in the feels
Posted By: local_dirt Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Looks pretty good. I'd like to try one out.

Me too.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
Pretty cool setup for mounting a RDS.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/new-for-2023-springfield-armory-echelon
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
Yep, the flexibility of mounting the RDS of your choice and lower mounting height seems like it would be a big plus.
Posted By: JPro Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
As this one is G17 sized, I'm guessing it will only be a matter of time until we get a compact G19 sized model also. Sounds like they've done a pretty good job here.
Posted By: bjc68 Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
Handled one last week while waiting on paperwork at the lgs. Felt good and really liked the sights, u notch and tritium front were really easy to pick up. I've never fired a striker fired pistol but this felt very nice in hand. I haven't made a choice on purchasing one, but leaning toward a Sig 320 of some sort being as this is still too new.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
Originally Posted by bjc68
Handled one last week while waiting on paperwork at the lgs. Felt good and really liked the sights, u notch and tritium front were really easy to pick up. I've never fired a striker fired pistol but this felt very nice in hand. I haven't made a choice on purchasing one, but leaning toward a Sig 320 of some sort being as this is still too new.
I'd go for the Echelon before the Sig. I was one of the first buyers of the P320, when they hit the market. I could really feel it's high bore axis vs my Glock 17. I sold the 320 pretty quick (Why would I want a Glock 17-sized, striker-fired, 9mm with handling characteristics inferior to those of my Glock?). The Echelon has a bore axis more like a Glock, so likely has similar handling characteristics.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
I'd go for the Echelon before the Sig. I was one of the first buyers of the P320, when they hit the market. I could really feel its high bore axis vs my Glock 17. I sold the 320 pretty quick (Why would I want a Glock 17-sized, striker-fired, 9mm with handling characteristics inferior to those of my Glock?). The Echelon has a bore axis more like a Glock, so likely has similar handling characteristics.

LOL

Fugking moron.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23
Buddy was talking about them yesterday. Found one local around 600. Said it felt between 17 and 19 as far as grip and the trigger was good. They look/sound pretty cool. [bleep] Glock lol
I'd go for the Echelon before the Sig. I was one of the first buyers of the P320, when they hit the market. I could really feel its high bore axis vs my Glock 17. I sold the 320 pretty quick (Why would I want a Glock 17-sized, striker-fired, 9mm with handling characteristics inferior to those of my Glock?). The Echelon has a bore axis more like a Glock, so likely has similar handling characteristics.

LOL

Fugking moron.
You'd need to be a highly experienced handgunner to notice the difference, and understand from which characteristic it stems.
Posted By: Raferman Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23

LOL

Fugking moron.
You'd need to be a highly experienced handgunner to notice the difference, and understand from which characteristic it stems.
The echelon is going nowhere.
Originally Posted by Raferman
The echelon is going nowhere.
Certainly a possibility. It's a heavily populated field it's vying for a place in.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/26/23

LOL

Fugking moron.

Yeah.

Post your split times on the drills you ran with each pistol.
I've only dabbled in the organized shooting sports from time to time, but handgunning has been my primary hobby since 1980. When did you start handgunning?
Posted By: sgt217 Re: SA Echelon - 07/27/23
1969...why?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 07/27/23
Originally Posted by sgt217
1969...why?
I imagined he was a younger man.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/28/23
I've only dabbled in the organized shooting sports from time to time, but handgunning has been my primary hobby since 1980. When did you start handgunning?

You don’t need to shoot competitively to know split times.

Post them.

And spare me the age equals experience bullschit.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 07/28/23
You post Bat Masterson's split times and I'll post mine.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 07/28/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/28/23

LOL

Do you even own a timer?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 07/28/23

LOL

Do you even own a timer?
Of course not, but I will buy one if you post Bat Masterson's split times.

But seriously, my "split times" are ungodly fast. Machine gun like. Is that something to be proud of? I had no idea. Just another day at the range, for me.

PS Is there a rule regarding at what distance we're talking, and how tight the two shot group needs to be?
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/29/23

LOL

Do you even own a timer?
Of course not, but I will buy one if you post Bat Masterson's split times.

But seriously, my "split times" are ungodly fast. Machine gun like. Is that something to be proud of? I had no idea. Just another day at the range, for me.

PS Is there a rule regarding at what distance we're talking, and how tight the two shot group needs to be?

It's your theory, dumb fugk.

You tell us.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 07/29/23
Huh? What's my theory?
Huh? What's my theory?

I can see why you chose teaching as a profession.

LOL
Huh? What's my theory?

LOL
The high bore axis "theory?" That's not a theory. It's just plain physics.
Huh? What's my theory?

LOL
The high bore axis "theory?" That's not a theory. It's just plain physics.

Since it's the Sabbath I'll entertain the masses with your stupidity.

How is a low bore axis advantageous to the shooter?
It's well known among experienced handgunners that a low bore axis minimizes the sensation of muzzle flip while a high bore axis accentuates it, i.e., the recoil impulse will feel differently between a high and a low bore axis handgun of the same chambering.

If you are accustomed to low bore axis handguns, you will likely find that the recoil impulse on a high bore axis handgun is less preferred as between the two. You may describe it as possessing inferior handling characteristics in terms of how it directs the recoil impulse.

This is not a new concept. It's been well understood among handgun shooters for a very long time. Many who are heavily invested in a particular handgun platform that has a high bore axis, however, will tend to argue that they perceive no difference between the two, and they may even be so dedicated to their favorite handgun platform that they may well have convinced themselves of this. It is, however, a matter of basic physics, and they should notice the difference.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
It's well known among experienced handgunners that a low bore axis minimizes the sensation of muzzle flip while a high bore axis accentuates it, i.e., the recoil impulse will feel differently between a high and a low bore axis handgun of the same chambering.

If you are accustomed to low bore axis handguns, you will likely find that the recoil impulse on a high bore axis handgun is less preferred as between the two. You may describe it as possessing inferior handling characteristics in terms of how it directs the recoil impulse.

This is not a new concept. It's been well understood among handgun shooters for a very long time. Many who are heavily invested in a particular handgun platform that has a high bore axis, however, will tend to argue that they perceive no difference between the two, and they may even be so dedicated to their favorite handgun platform that they may well have convinced themselves of this. It is, however, a matter of basic physics, and they should notice the difference.

How do you measure bore axis?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
By the standard method, universally accepted. It's not really subject to opinion. It's the height of the bore line in relation to the area where the hand is joined to the wrist.
By the standard method, universally accepted. It's not really subject to opinion. It's the height of the bore line in relation to the area where the hand is joined to the wrist.

So what is an acceptable amount of bore axis and when does it become a problem?
Posted By: WTM45 Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
It's the height of the bore line in relation to the area where the hand is joined to the wrist.

That's not a variable found shooter to shooter?

You can compensate for it, so "problem" is not the best word to describe it. It's a matter of preference, which is for the individual to decide.

If it's slight, and you prefer your higher bore axis handgun platform for other reasons, you will likely just learn to live with it. The more extreme the difference, the less likely someone will be happy to live with it, given an option. But that it can be perceived is another matter.

In a 9mm, or a more powerful handgun, you should be able to perceive the difference in muzzle flip between, say, a Glock 17 and a Sig P320. Whether you wish to compensate for it (because there are other factors you prefer in the Sig over the Glock) is up to the shooter.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
This thread has been illuminating...sheesh X2 +P+
Posted By: jwp475 Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
. It is, however, a matter of basic physics, and they should notice the difference.

Can you show the physics formula
Originally Posted by jwp475
. It is, however, a matter of basic physics, and they should notice the difference.

If I understand how mechanical fulcrum and leverage work, that means I need to calculate the formula for every instance of it?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23

If I understand how mechanical fulcrum and leverage work, that means I need to calculate the formula for every instance of it?

Do you need physics, geometry or both
Posted By: RufusG Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
The formula is simple, Torque equals the force times the lever arm. Just have to know the percentage difference in length of the lever arm, and you'll know the percentage difference in the Torque.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
IIRC, the Rhino handgun was an attempt to dramatically lower the bore axis and reduce muzzle flip.
Posted By: RufusG Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
Originally Posted by navlav8r
IIRC, the Rhino handgun was an attempt to dramatically lower the bore axis and reduce muzzle flip.

Yes, but in that case the bore axis is so low it tends to lift the shooter's feet off the ground.
Posted By: NavalDiplomat Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
trying to steer this back on course....

I have not had a chance to handle one yet, but there is a website I read often that just did a review. Gun University Echelon Review

The author is more of a long range guy shooter, but his handgun reviews seem very honest. His only complaint was the price.

I am most interested in the optic set up. seems very encouraging to have a very flexible optic set up. Springfield Prodigy is using the Agency Arms AOS system that looks good, but this Springfield VIS system looks promising.

I am looking forward to some more long term reviews before i jump in though. at this point i am too invested in glock to make a switch.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: SA Echelon - 07/30/23
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Yep, the flexibility of mounting the RDS of your choice and lower mounting height seems like it would be a big plus.

That mounting system sounds like a great thing if it works.

You can compensate for it, so "problem" is not the best word to describe it. It's a matter of preference, which is for the individual to decide.

If it's slight, and you prefer your higher bore axis handgun platform for other reasons, you will likely just learn to live with it. The more extreme the difference, the less likely someone will be happy to live with it, given an option. But that it can be perceived is another matter.

In a 9mm, or a more powerful handgun, you should be able to perceive the difference in muzzle flip between, say, a Glock 17 and a Sig P320. Whether you wish to compensate for it (because there are other factors you prefer in the Sig over the Glock) is up to the shooter.

OK.

What is your preferred amount of bore axis in a pistol?
Originally Posted by NavalDiplomat
trying to steer this back on course....

I have not had a chance to handle one yet, but there is a website I read often that just did a review. Gun University Echelon Review

The author is more of a long range guy shooter, but his handgun reviews seem very honest. His only complaint was the price.

I am most interested in the optic set up. seems very encouraging to have a very flexible optic set up. Springfield Prodigy is using the Agency Arms AOS system that looks good, but this Springfield VIS system looks promising.

I am looking forward to some more long term reviews before i jump in though. at this point i am too invested in glock to make a switch.

Thanks for putting us back on course.

Which optic do you use on your Glock? And which Glock do you shoot?
Posted By: Slavek Re: SA Echelon - 07/31/23
Do not worry about "bore axis issue". Look you do not see experienced boomers go for them Mateba or Chiappa Rhino revolvers. Their choice are older pre-MIM, pre-lock S&W revolvers like pops and grandpops had. The older the better.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 07/31/23
Originally Posted by Slavek
Do not worry about "bore axis issue". Look you do not see experienced boomers go for them Mateba or Chiappa Rhino revolvers. Their choice are older pre-MIM, pre-lock S&W revolvers like pops and grandpops had. The older the better.

If you were to stick a barrel in your mouth would high, low, or medium bore axis be desired? Reflect.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 07/31/23

Do you need physics, geometry or both
By merely using your eyes, you can intuit how it works. It's not rocket science.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: SA Echelon - 07/31/23
I'm just sitting over here punching myself in the balls as I read this.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 07/31/23
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'm just sitting over here punching myself in the balls as I read this.

The group will be coming to consensus shortly.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 07/31/23
OK.

What is your preferred amount of bore axis in a pistol?

TRH,

You haven't answered this.

Chop-chop, dick head.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 07/31/23
I like that on my Glocks better than those on, say, a Sig P226 or P320. I find that I prefer how it directs the recoil impulse, i.e., more straight back, and less of a pivot at the point of fulcrum, old buddy. YMMV.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 08/01/23
I like that on my Glocks better than those on, say, a Sig P226 or P320. I find that I prefer how it directs the recoil impulse, i.e., more straight back, and less of a pivot at the point of fulcrum, old buddy. YMMV.

So the amount of bore axis you like is Glock?

OK.

What does Glock bore axis do for your shooting?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 08/01/23

So the amount of bore axis you like is Glock?

OK.

What does Glock bore axis do for your shooting?
It generates a recoil impulse more to my preference than, say, a Sig P320. So much so that I would characterize that of the P320 as noticeably inferior. If all I could have was a P320, I could compensate and grow accustomed to it, of course, but why would I if I have a Glock.
So bore axis and its benefits are not quantifiable.

It’s all just how TRH feels he is shooting.

That about it?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SA Echelon - 08/01/23
Have it your way.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: SA Echelon - 08/01/23
So bore axis and its benefits are not quantifiable.

It’s all just how TRH feels he is shooting.

That about it?

Where do you get off discounting someone's feelings?
Posted By: StGeorger Re: SA Echelon - 08/01/23
Have it your way.

Buy a timer.
Posted By: Slavek Re: SA Echelon - 08/02/23
If you interested in low bore axis I would look at modern pistol which uses Bergamann Bayard mechanism. Modern gun using this system was designed in Russia several years ago, but is not proven design like a Glock or numerous copies being produced now because there are no major military/police users. This is because it costs about 2x > a Glock.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: SA Echelon - 08/02/23
Of all the clusters on the 'fire,
this is a contender for Most Fùcked.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 08/02/23
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Everything will be OK.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: SA Echelon - 08/02/23
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Everything will be OK.

OK?
it's hilarious.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 08/02/23
Originally Posted by Slavek
If you interested in low bore axis I would look at modern pistol which uses Bergamann Bayard mechanism. Modern gun using this system was designed in Russia several years ago, but is not proven design like a Glock or numerous copies being produced now because there are no major military/police users. This is because it costs about 2x > a Glock.

Shove one in your mouth.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 08/04/23
To bring this clusterfuck somewhat back on track, hit two more shops today - negative. May be running through Eau Claire tomorrow. If thats the case Scheels will be the last resort for in person fondling.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 08/04/23
To bring this clusterfuck somewhat back on track, hit two more shops today - negative. May be running through Eau Claire tomorrow. If thats the case Scheels will be the last resort for in person fondling.

For serious?

They're an easy find here. So far anyway.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 08/04/23
For serious.

They'll all order one....its 2023 fellas. I can order one.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 08/04/23
For serious.

They'll all order one....its 2023 fellas. I can order one.

LOL
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 08/06/23
Touched one at Scheels yesterday. Will agree the trigger felt nicer than Glock and M&Ps I've shot. U shaped rear isn't for me even if intending to run an optic. 3 dot tritium model is another $50 but none on hand. A lot to like about it, nothing earth shattering.

Walked away for now. Not going to beta test for SA. Will be keeping an eye going forward and want to see how they expand grip modules going forward, mag availability, get some long term data on the plateless system durability, etc.

Mean time still want to play with an optic on something. Front runner/easy button just pick up an optics ready P10-F or C to try out. Prefer not to cut my P07 or P09 until I'm committed to an optic.

Also finger fugged an M&P 22 Mag at Scheels. Didn't hate it even though I have no use for a 22 Mag. Could buy one as an excuse to dip a toe in the RDO world with out committing to a carry platform. Current state in ammo world 9mm and 22 Mag are about the same per round for range use. Jew brain struggles to accept this reality and airs on the side of CF.
Posted By: deflave Re: SA Echelon - 08/06/23
Touched one at Scheels yesterday. Will agree the trigger felt nicer than Glock and M&Ps I've shot. U shaped rear isn't for me even if intending to run an optic. 3 dot tritium model is another $50 but none on hand. A lot to like about it, nothing earth shattering.

Walked away for now. Not going to beta test for SA. Will be keeping an eye going forward and want to see how they expand grip modules going forward, mag availability, get some long term data on the plateless system durability, etc.

Mean time still want to play with an optic on something. Front runner/easy button just pick up an optics ready P10-F or C to try out. Prefer not to cut my P07 or P09 until I'm committed to an optic.

Also finger fugged an M&P 22 Mag at Scheels. Didn't hate it even though I have no use for a 22 Mag. Could buy one as an excuse to dip a toe in the RDO world with out committing to a carry platform. Current state in ammo world 9mm and 22 Mag are about the same per round for range use. Jew brain struggles to accept this reality and airs on the side of CF.

Think less.

Buy more.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SA Echelon - 08/06/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire