Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It's well known among experienced handgunners that a low bore axis minimizes the sensation of muzzle flip while a high bore axis accentuates it, i.e., the recoil impulse will feel differently between a high and a low bore axis handgun of the same chambering.

If you are accustomed to low bore axis handguns, you will likely find that the recoil impulse on a high bore axis handgun is less preferred as between the two. You may describe it as possessing inferior handling characteristics in terms of how it directs the recoil impulse.

This is not a new concept. It's been well understood among handgun shooters for a very long time. Many who are heavily invested in a particular handgun platform that has a high bore axis, however, will tend to argue that they perceive no difference between the two, and they may even be so dedicated to their favorite handgun platform that they may well have convinced themselves of this. It is, however, a matter of basic physics, and they should notice the difference.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It's well known among experienced handgunners that a low bore axis minimizes the sensation of muzzle flip while a high bore axis accentuates it, i.e., the recoil impulse will feel differently between a high and a low bore axis handgun of the same chambering.

If you are accustomed to low bore axis handguns, you will likely find that the recoil impulse on a high bore axis handgun is less preferred as between the two. You may describe it as possessing inferior handling characteristics in terms of how it directs the recoil impulse.

This is not a new concept. It's been well understood among handgun shooters for a very long time. Many who are heavily invested in a particular handgun platform that has a high bore axis, however, will tend to argue that they perceive no difference between the two, and they may even be so dedicated to their favorite handgun platform that they may well have convinced themselves of this. It is, however, a matter of basic physics, and they should notice the difference.

How do you measure bore axis?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
By the standard method, universally accepted. It's not really subject to opinion. It's the height of the bore line in relation to the area where the hand is joined to the wrist.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
By the standard method, universally accepted. It's not really subject to opinion. It's the height of the bore line in relation to the area where the hand is joined to the wrist.

So what is an acceptable amount of bore axis and when does it become a problem?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's the height of the bore line in relation to the area where the hand is joined to the wrist.

That's not a variable found shooter to shooter?

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave

You can compensate for it, so "problem" is not the best word to describe it. It's a matter of preference, which is for the individual to decide.

If it's slight, and you prefer your higher bore axis handgun platform for other reasons, you will likely just learn to live with it. The more extreme the difference, the less likely someone will be happy to live with it, given an option. But that it can be perceived is another matter.

In a 9mm, or a more powerful handgun, you should be able to perceive the difference in muzzle flip between, say, a Glock 17 and a Sig P320. Whether you wish to compensate for it (because there are other factors you prefer in the Sig over the Glock) is up to the shooter.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This thread has been illuminating...sheesh X2 +P+

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
. It is, however, a matter of basic physics, and they should notice the difference.

Can you show the physics formula

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
. It is, however, a matter of basic physics, and they should notice the difference.

If I understand how mechanical fulcrum and leverage work, that means I need to calculate the formula for every instance of it?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If I understand how mechanical fulcrum and leverage work, that means I need to calculate the formula for every instance of it?

Do you need physics, geometry or both

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The formula is simple, Torque equals the force times the lever arm. Just have to know the percentage difference in length of the lever arm, and you'll know the percentage difference in the Torque.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
IIRC, the Rhino handgun was an attempt to dramatically lower the bore axis and reduce muzzle flip.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
IIRC, the Rhino handgun was an attempt to dramatically lower the bore axis and reduce muzzle flip.

Yes, but in that case the bore axis is so low it tends to lift the shooter's feet off the ground.

N
N
trying to steer this back on course....

I have not had a chance to handle one yet, but there is a website I read often that just did a review. Gun University Echelon Review

The author is more of a long range guy shooter, but his handgun reviews seem very honest. His only complaint was the price.

I am most interested in the optic set up. seems very encouraging to have a very flexible optic set up. Springfield Prodigy is using the Agency Arms AOS system that looks good, but this Springfield VIS system looks promising.

I am looking forward to some more long term reviews before i jump in though. at this point i am too invested in glock to make a switch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Yep, the flexibility of mounting the RDS of your choice and lower mounting height seems like it would be a big plus.

That mounting system sounds like a great thing if it works.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

You can compensate for it, so "problem" is not the best word to describe it. It's a matter of preference, which is for the individual to decide.

If it's slight, and you prefer your higher bore axis handgun platform for other reasons, you will likely just learn to live with it. The more extreme the difference, the less likely someone will be happy to live with it, given an option. But that it can be perceived is another matter.

In a 9mm, or a more powerful handgun, you should be able to perceive the difference in muzzle flip between, say, a Glock 17 and a Sig P320. Whether you wish to compensate for it (because there are other factors you prefer in the Sig over the Glock) is up to the shooter.

OK.

What is your preferred amount of bore axis in a pistol?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NavalDiplomat
trying to steer this back on course....

I have not had a chance to handle one yet, but there is a website I read often that just did a review. Gun University Echelon Review

The author is more of a long range guy shooter, but his handgun reviews seem very honest. His only complaint was the price.

I am most interested in the optic set up. seems very encouraging to have a very flexible optic set up. Springfield Prodigy is using the Agency Arms AOS system that looks good, but this Springfield VIS system looks promising.

I am looking forward to some more long term reviews before i jump in though. at this point i am too invested in glock to make a switch.

Thanks for putting us back on course.

Which optic do you use on your Glock? And which Glock do you shoot?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do not worry about "bore axis issue". Look you do not see experienced boomers go for them Mateba or Chiappa Rhino revolvers. Their choice are older pre-MIM, pre-lock S&W revolvers like pops and grandpops had. The older the better.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slavek
Do not worry about "bore axis issue". Look you do not see experienced boomers go for them Mateba or Chiappa Rhino revolvers. Their choice are older pre-MIM, pre-lock S&W revolvers like pops and grandpops had. The older the better.

If you were to stick a barrel in your mouth would high, low, or medium bore axis be desired? Reflect.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Do you need physics, geometry or both
By merely using your eyes, you can intuit how it works. It's not rocket science.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 26 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,850
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.