Home
Very accurate round.Has a little bit of everything I Have wanted in handgun.This is my first handgun.I have spent about a thousand hours with a 44 Mag that my friend owns.I reload all my ammo.

Any good loads for the 44 Special I should know about?

[Linked Image]

Congrats and welcome. Put a couple hundred rounds through it and let us know how it fairs. Looks like a good un.
Your .44 is out of time. Look at the line going around the cylinder at the notches it means the cylinder pin is touching the cylinder. A good gunsmith should be able to time the handgun.
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Your .44 is out of time. Look at the line going around the cylinder at the notches it means the cylinder pin is touching the cylinder. A good gunsmith should be able to time the handgun.

Please elaborate on "time"???????
Well I guess I'll just have to send all my Smith&Wesson revolvers in too!
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. According to a couple of friends of mine one a pistol smith when you start to see a ring around your cylinder the latch or whatever it is called is not dropping down all the way when you fire the weapon and therefore cuts a ring around the cylinder. It apparently does no harm to the weapon other than affect its looks. They tell me it is not hard to adjust the latch so that it does not drag when firing the weapon and probably does not cost much more than a $50 bill. Oh ya the pistol smith should be able to polish the ring out of the cylinder if it is not to deep. If you plan of shooting the weapon a lot that is what I would do.
Yes if you want to keep them looking nice and without the ring. Every revolver except for custom ones need to be timed for that reason.
now that is one sweet little revolver. Congratulations, and by the way, great photos as well.
Originally Posted by 1nice44special
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Please elaborate on "time"???????

Technically Derby is right. But every revolver leaves a ring around the cylinder sooner than later. I've never owned a revolver that didn't - and that's been quite a few. Forget about it and enjoy your pistol.
If you cock it and the cylinder isn't locked into place, it's out of time. Most likely you will notice lead shaving off of the bullets as they enter the forcing cone of the barrel if this happens.
My reason for bring the ring and timing up is because the ring is so noticeable in the picture. I have a Ruger .44 mag that could use some timing but as had been said it doesn't shave lead and one has to use some pretty heavy magnification to see the line on the stainless steel cylinder. I don't shoot the .44mag that much so by the time the cylinder wears out form the timing problem I'll probably be dead. More revolvers probably wear out from poorly timed cylinders than anything else.

This was just a suggest and I've said my peace. Amen!
I will be Reloading some 44 Specials Thursday.I will post up some pics of the paper and maybe some vids.
Hey 44

I had a blue .44 Pug in the 80's. I lost it in a trade for a Colt trooper. No complaints on the Colt, I still have it, but I regret trading the Pug. One of my friends loaded some .44 shotshells with #12 shot. Great for snakes in my area. I still have a SS 3" Pathfinder that I bought back in the 70's and sent back to the factory to have converted to .22Mag. Good luck.

George
Originally Posted by croldfort
Hey 44

I had a blue .44 Pug in the 80's. I lost it in a trade for a Colt trooper. No complaints on the Colt, I still have it, but I regret trading the Pug. One of my friends loaded some .44 shotshells with #12 shot. Great for snakes in my area. I still have a SS 3" Pathfinder that I bought back in the 70's and sent back to the factory to have converted to .22Mag. Good luck.

George

I heard that the older model had some problems.

They have worked them out now.I car hit a empty propane tank 4 times at 50 yards with factory loads.I currently have put 100 rounds threw it last weekend.
It seems someone else has taken the Maser/MySpace/VaTech shooter pic idea as a persona.

Great... just great....
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
It seems someone else has taken the Maser/MySpace/VaTech shooter pic idea as a persona.

Great... just great....

This wasn't what I was going for.

I am sorry have I offended anybody?????

I would gladly change it for a show of posts.
Compare the pic of you pointing that .44 straight into the camera with the pics of that POS that shot up VaTech... or any of the other little loonies that have done similar.

That, and a pic in the sig line clutters stuff up, and eats up server space and bandwidth like crazy.

Originally Posted by croldfort
Hey 44

George
Me too. I could have written the above post. I had one back in the 80's too. Loved it. Even lighter than the new ones. Lot of kick, but it was designed to be carried a lot, shot a little. Sorry I sold it. Reason I sold it was that a pin would gradually slide out of the frame under recoil. Just had to push it back in every so often. Still wish I hadn't sold it.

Nice gun. Enjoy it.
1nice,

Your gun is fine.

Derby Doofus heard something from somebody who may have known someone that called themself a "pistolsmith".

The bright ring is caused by the bolt dragging across the cylinder under tension like it is supposed to as the action is being cycled. Not by whatever the heck Derby Doof called it.

What does it mean? It means the gun has been shot or at least dry fired. In other words - harmless.

Forums are a place where any idiot can post BS - pick who you listen to carefully.

TM
Originally Posted by TM45
1nice,

Your gun is fine.

Derby Doofus heard something from somebody who may have known someone that called themself a "pistolsmith".

The bright ring is caused by the bolt dragging across the cylinder under tension like it is supposed to as the action is being cycled. Not by whatever the heck Derby Doof called it.

What does it mean? It means the gun has been shot or at least dry fired. In other words - harmless.

Forums are a place where any idiot can post BS - pick who you listen to carefully.

TM

I always do.
I have an older one that I pack occasionally. Mine likes heavier bullets like 245-250 grain over the 215 gr weights. Mild loads should keep this a shooter for a long time.
Originally Posted by TM45
1nice,

Your gun is fine.

TM

You may disagree with me and that's okay but a Doofus?

When your cylinder loosens up from poor timing don't blame me.
Derby Doofus, now just whom is this wonder gunsmith that gave you this information? 1nice, gave the "correct" reason for the drag line.

Since you feel so strongly about the drag line being a timing factor, here's a deal. Check out the drag line on my FA 454, I've got $50.00 that says it is not out of time. I will send it back to FA to be checked, if it's out of time I send ya $50.00, if it's not out of time you send me $50.00 and the cost of S+Insurance. Here's a couple pictures.

[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jimmyd223/FAcloseup001.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jimmyd223/FAcloseup002.jpg[/img][/img]
You win the line is suppose to be there. Have a good day.
Its not a matter of winning, it is a matter of mis-information.
jimmyd223:
It's become a matter of your �name calling�.

I don't have to be a Gunsmith to know that the ring is related to timing.

I once let a guy who said he cut his teeth on Single Actions work on my Colt S A Army. He replaced a part. When he finished it was out of time, and I soon had a very pronounced ring around the cylinder from the locking bolt. I took it to another Gunsmith who sent it back to Colt to have it retimed.

Just looking at a ring in a picture can be somewhat subjective, as to how serious a problem it might be. Given the fact that the Charter Arms is an inexpensive revolver, brand new, (as in little fired) it maybe could, use some attention. Obviously, if the ring is more than a very slight one it could indicate a problem.

Since you can't disagree without being disagreeable, I'm placing you on �ignore�, and since I�m sure that I�m not the only one who is offended by your attitude, I recommend others do so also.
Smitty of the North
SmittyoftheNorth, since you put me on ignore for name calling,I'm sure you will remove it to see what I have to say concerning your post.
So, if calling Derby a Doofus hurt his feelings, Derby, I'm sorry your that thin skinned. I meant it as a joke, no attack meant to you.

Now as to you Smitty, if what you say is correct, then don't you feel that "every" SAA Colt that comes out of the Colt Custom Shop is out of time. There is a reason Colt Collector's "DO NOT" want the cylinder turned, it will leave a faint drag line and affect value. Are they all out of time as you suggest? I guess we should also think about all the guns out of the S&W Performance Center, the Python's, the big 500's.

I'm sure enough of my comments that I will extend my bet with Derby to you, Game?
Smitty and Derby Dude, every ruger revolver I own have the ring, it is not a matter of timing, just that the lock drags a little, I understand where you are coming from, but I can tell you the Ruger repair shop won't even look at it, unless you are getting lead or copper blow by. JMHO, Les
To jimmyd223: Apology accepted. It's not about thin skin it's about being a gentleman about an important subject and disagreeing with one other. And if I've offended you I'm sorry.

Pictures can be subjective which is why I suggested a competent pistol smith to check things out.

I checked my Ruger.44mag single action last night. It has a slight ring which is almost impossible to see. As I said at my age and the little I shoot my .44mag it will probably take for ever for the cylinder lock (I call it a pall) to do serious damage. The pistol smith I know says he can adjust the cylinder lock (pall) so that it doesn't drag. This pistol smith makes a living working only on Ruger pistols and revolvers especially single actions.

The first thing I had to do to my .44mag was have a smith hone the inside of the cylinder and round every mouth of the cylinder so that the empties could be ejected from the cylinder. The next item was a trigger/spring tune up. The point is every pistol/revolver needs the attention of a competent pistol smith as it comes from the factory unless it comes from a custom shop. At $1,000 to $4,000 for a pistol/revolver from a custom shop the weapon had better be ready to go.

The point of the original post was to alert people to the ring and the fact it could be a problem as it wears in the notches on the cylinder. Use a 2x magnifying glass and check your notches and see how much wear you have. You will be surprised. Some wear of course will happen but be carefully of too much wear too fast.

Last, it was not my intention to start a mini war on this subject and for starting one I apologize.
Understand, not a biggie, I know some of the ohter makers say this is a problem, i.e. Colt SAA's, but with Rugersand FA's, it is considered normal wear and you are absolutley correct, when it is creating a Divot size drag line, yeah, I would definitley send it in, but light line is just normal wear. laugh Thanks, Les
Cool!!! we got this one resolved, with I think everyone agreeing to dis-agree to some point. If shes shedding lead, time to re-time..........

In fact, I was just out in the back shop looking for some type of ol" revolver in 22 LR, now boys, that baby was out of time, hell it would shave off half the bullit. Wanted to see if it had a drag line, it might have just been free wheeling for all I remember.
You guys are to much.

That ring is normal for this handgun.All the Charter Arms Do this.
A bolt dragging on a cylinder ain't necessarily a bad thing. If a bolt does not lock or unlock at the proper TIME then ya got problems. Bullet shaving is improper alignment between chamber and barrel and most wheel guns get six shots at it (pun intended) but it don't have to be the bolts fault . Don't confuse timing with alignment as a gun can be timed perfectly with no bolt interference at all and still shave bullets. That's why God made range rods...
jimmyd...I got a better plan...I'll send ya $50 and you send me the FA...is it a deal? I can live with the ring...grin
Nice bulldog. I've seriously considered buying one of those myself...I'll even make ya the same offer I made jimmyd...grin
This 44 is accurate.I can hit a apple at 30 yards.
fire that bulldog about 500 rounds and get back to us on how it is holding up. For a nice practice load try 6 grains of unique with the 240 swc of your choice.

good shooting
Well I put 500 rounds threw it this last month.It is holding up just fine.

I reloaded some fast loads.180 grain Hollow points.They were running 1,100 fps threw the crono.These were very accurate.

They were at almost max charge for that head.

Next I am going to load up some 300 grains an start at half max charge.
Hey man good work on picking up a Bulldog. I have one of the original old Charter Arms Bulldogs with the 3" barrel and walnut combat stocks. Great gun and has served me very well as my concealed carry gun and in the back country on snake patrol. Great little guns that can be pretty accurate for their size. I load mine up with 230 grain hollow base full wadcutters for just about everything and its works terrific.
If you ever decide to have your revolver tuned, I'd recommend the pistolsmiths at Ahlman's in Morristown, MN. They are really good and have made a meaningful difference in the "useability" of every Rossi, Ruger, and S&W revolver that I've sent to them.

If you shoot enough heavy loads, whatever # that is, through a small frame revolver of any make/model, it will eventually shoot "loose". I learned this the expensive way, by shooting too many heavy loads in a S&W 19.

Jeff
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you ever decide to have your revolver tuned, I'd recommend the pistolsmiths at Ahlman's in Morristown, MN. They are really good and have made a meaningful difference in the "useability" of every Rossi, Ruger, and S&W revolver that I've sent to them.

If you shoot enough heavy loads, whatever # that is, through a small frame revolver of any make/model, it will eventually shoot "loose". I learned this the expensive way, by shooting too many heavy loads in a S&W 19.

Jeff

Ya,thanks for the heads up.

I only load 180 grain HP.With 9 grains of Unique.They got some nice recoil!!!!
My current light weight 44 Special is a S&W 329PD. If you can hit apples with a fixed sight revolver, you're a better man than me, since I'd have a hard time hitting the inside of a barn, from the inside, with a fixed sight handgun!

Jeff
Ya,I have always been good with handguns.
my wife loves her old bulldog bites pretty good with 200 swc at 1200 fps dont need to go faster or heavier. 90% of the time 200 at 800 fps is sweet & easy on it & her, only trouble is keeping it loaded fast enough to suit her.
Some weekend fun!!!!!!!!

10 grains Unique,180 grain Hollow point.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have a 38spc. undercover that is tucked away where the misses can grab it quick when I'm out. Very handy, those little Charter Arms. Mine was quite used when I got it, and it broke a trigger return spring once, sent it back, and it came home working fine.
Maybe I will bring the camera with me when I go shooting.
Originally Posted by corelokt
I have a 38spc. undercover that is tucked away where the misses can grab it quick when I'm out. Very handy, those little Charter Arms. Mine was quite used when I got it, and it broke a trigger return spring once, sent it back, and it came home working fine.
Cool handgun for the misses!!!!!!!!
Figure if the sight of it dosn't work, the feel of a 38 will.
© 24hourcampfire