24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Very accurate round.Has a little bit of everything I Have wanted in handgun.This is my first handgun.I have spent about a thousand hours with a 44 Mag that my friend owns.I reload all my ammo.

Any good loads for the 44 Special I should know about?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats and welcome. Put a couple hundred rounds through it and let us know how it fairs. Looks like a good un.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your .44 is out of time. Look at the line going around the cylinder at the notches it means the cylinder pin is touching the cylinder. A good gunsmith should be able to time the handgun.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

OP Offline
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Your .44 is out of time. Look at the line going around the cylinder at the notches it means the cylinder pin is touching the cylinder. A good gunsmith should be able to time the handgun.

Please elaborate on "time"???????

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well I guess I'll just have to send all my Smith&Wesson revolvers in too!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. According to a couple of friends of mine one a pistol smith when you start to see a ring around your cylinder the latch or whatever it is called is not dropping down all the way when you fire the weapon and therefore cuts a ring around the cylinder. It apparently does no harm to the weapon other than affect its looks. They tell me it is not hard to adjust the latch so that it does not drag when firing the weapon and probably does not cost much more than a $50 bill. Oh ya the pistol smith should be able to polish the ring out of the cylinder if it is not to deep. If you plan of shooting the weapon a lot that is what I would do.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes if you want to keep them looking nice and without the ring. Every revolver except for custom ones need to be timed for that reason.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
now that is one sweet little revolver. Congratulations, and by the way, great photos as well.

Sam......

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 1nice44special
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Please elaborate on "time"???????

Technically Derby is right. But every revolver leaves a ring around the cylinder sooner than later. I've never owned a revolver that didn't - and that's been quite a few. Forget about it and enjoy your pistol.

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you cock it and the cylinder isn't locked into place, it's out of time. Most likely you will notice lead shaving off of the bullets as they enter the forcing cone of the barrel if this happens.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My reason for bring the ring and timing up is because the ring is so noticeable in the picture. I have a Ruger .44 mag that could use some timing but as had been said it doesn't shave lead and one has to use some pretty heavy magnification to see the line on the stainless steel cylinder. I don't shoot the .44mag that much so by the time the cylinder wears out form the timing problem I'll probably be dead. More revolvers probably wear out from poorly timed cylinders than anything else.

This was just a suggest and I've said my peace. Amen!

OP Offline
I will be Reloading some 44 Specials Thursday.I will post up some pics of the paper and maybe some vids.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey 44

I had a blue .44 Pug in the 80's. I lost it in a trade for a Colt trooper. No complaints on the Colt, I still have it, but I regret trading the Pug. One of my friends loaded some .44 shotshells with #12 shot. Great for snakes in my area. I still have a SS 3" Pathfinder that I bought back in the 70's and sent back to the factory to have converted to .22Mag. Good luck.

George

OP Offline
Originally Posted by croldfort
Hey 44

I had a blue .44 Pug in the 80's. I lost it in a trade for a Colt trooper. No complaints on the Colt, I still have it, but I regret trading the Pug. One of my friends loaded some .44 shotshells with #12 shot. Great for snakes in my area. I still have a SS 3" Pathfinder that I bought back in the 70's and sent back to the factory to have converted to .22Mag. Good luck.

George

I heard that the older model had some problems.

They have worked them out now.I car hit a empty propane tank 4 times at 50 yards with factory loads.I currently have put 100 rounds threw it last weekend.

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
It seems someone else has taken the Maser/MySpace/VaTech shooter pic idea as a persona.

Great... just great....

OP Offline
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
It seems someone else has taken the Maser/MySpace/VaTech shooter pic idea as a persona.

Great... just great....

This wasn't what I was going for.

I am sorry have I offended anybody?????

I would gladly change it for a show of posts.

Last edited by 1nice44special; 05/22/07.

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Compare the pic of you pointing that .44 straight into the camera with the pics of that POS that shot up VaTech... or any of the other little loonies that have done similar.

That, and a pic in the sig line clutters stuff up, and eats up server space and bandwidth like crazy.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by croldfort
Hey 44

George
Me too. I could have written the above post. I had one back in the 80's too. Loved it. Even lighter than the new ones. Lot of kick, but it was designed to be carried a lot, shot a little. Sorry I sold it. Reason I sold it was that a pin would gradually slide out of the frame under recoil. Just had to push it back in every so often. Still wish I hadn't sold it.

Nice gun. Enjoy it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1nice,

Your gun is fine.

Derby Doofus heard something from somebody who may have known someone that called themself a "pistolsmith".

The bright ring is caused by the bolt dragging across the cylinder under tension like it is supposed to as the action is being cycled. Not by whatever the heck Derby Doof called it.

What does it mean? It means the gun has been shot or at least dry fired. In other words - harmless.

Forums are a place where any idiot can post BS - pick who you listen to carefully.

TM

OP Offline
Originally Posted by TM45
1nice,

Your gun is fine.

Derby Doofus heard something from somebody who may have known someone that called themself a "pistolsmith".

The bright ring is caused by the bolt dragging across the cylinder under tension like it is supposed to as the action is being cycled. Not by whatever the heck Derby Doof called it.

What does it mean? It means the gun has been shot or at least dry fired. In other words - harmless.

Forums are a place where any idiot can post BS - pick who you listen to carefully.

TM

I always do.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,840
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.