Home
Yesterday I took my Kel-Tec PF9 and my H&K USB Compact 9mm to the
Range. I was able to shoot the KT much better at 30� than I was the H&K.

I have never been able to shoot the H&K as well as I can shoot other guns. But since it is a �Premium� firearm I figured it was operator trouble. I've struggled with this iron for the five years I've owned it. I still believe it was operator trouble. Something I could not overcome with this particular gun.

Additionally my hand digested the PF9 recoil (with the same ammo) much better than the recoil from the H&K. There must be something in the ergonomics of the H&K that doesn�t match my hand and or shooting style.

To shorten a long story the owner�s son at the local gun shop put me touch with a local Deputy with a Glock 17L (long-slide since replaced by the model 34) he was interested in trading.

The deputy is pleased with his new H&K and I am very pleased with my new Glock 17L. Especially after shooting 100 rounds today. The first shot hit center in the bulls eye with remaining 4 in the mag in close proximity. I had loaded three magazines each with five rounds. The second and third mags proved to me that the Glock works for me.

I am anxiously awaiting the next Steel Challenge and bowling pin matches at the club.

Score: Austrians 1, Germans 0!!
Good for you DN! I really enjoy shooting my Glocks. 17L would make a nice grab.
That would be even better with a green NYC trigger spring & 3.5 # connector. As for the platform, they are tack drivers.
2crow

Yes it was. The gun looked NIB.

Thanks,
T LEE,

The dep I got it from had it setup that way.

Remember a while back, I had my 19 setup to
your recommendation. It shoot good too.

Thanks,
Yeppers, that does make for a slick combo. That 17L should be a tack driver consistently I do believe.
Originally Posted by Deputy_Norm
Yesterday I took my Kel-Tec PF9 and my H&K USB Compact 9mm to the
Range. I was able to shoot the KT much better at 30� than I was the H&K.

I have never been able to shoot the H&K as well as I can shoot other guns. But since it is a �Premium� firearm I figured it was operator trouble. I've struggled with this iron for the five years I've owned it. I still believe it was operator trouble. Something I could not overcome with this particular gun.

Additionally my hand digested the PF9 recoil (with the same ammo) much better than the recoil from the H&K. There must be something in the ergonomics of the H&K that doesn�t match my hand and or shooting style.

To shorten a long story the owner�s son at the local gun shop put me touch with a local Deputy with a Glock 17L (long-slide since replaced by the model 34) he was interested in trading.

The deputy is pleased with his new H&K and I am very pleased with my new Glock 17L. Especially after shooting 100 rounds today. The first shot hit center in the bulls eye with remaining 4 in the mag in close proximity. I had loaded three magazines each with five rounds. The second and third mags proved to me that the Glock works for me.

I am anxiously awaiting the next Steel Challenge and bowling pin matches at the club.

Score: Austrians 1, Germans 0!!
Now, if you ever get your hands on a 1911, you are really going to be exited. wink
Hawk,

Lots of guys swear by 1911's. The ones I've had didn't function reliably.

I've never had a malfunction with any semiauto I've owned except for the four 1911's I've had. None of these were reliable even with ball ammo. (Ed Brown, Kimber and two Para Ordinance.)

I did have a Tanfoglio blow up in my hand, however. Does that count as a malfunction? smile

Thanks for the tip, but I'll stay with my modern weapons.
Posted By: Ivan Re: Good-bye H&K; Hello Glock 17L - 06/26/08
Hey Norm - Congrats on the new 17L!

Someday soon I'm gonna take T's advice and swap out the springs in my G19 and G21SF.
Sometimes it is the operator, not the pistol...
Gonna have to agree.
Yes I am willing to admit it might be the operator. However,
you need to understand that I have been shooting for 50 years.
I was a lawman for 20. I was among the first to carry semiauto on our department (S&W M59) with never a malfunctions. I've owned a truck load of semiautos over the years. Never a problem except for the 1911's.

But it might be me. Being a slow learner I finally decided after
$5,000 of 1911's that I'd better stick to what works for me.

Ivan,

Thanks for the comments.
That is the best thing in any game Norm. If I an gonna grab a self stuffer my first choice is a 1911 in .38 Super then a Glock in 9mm. But my first choice for up close & personal SD is a Colt Cobra followed by a S&W "J" frame.

THOSE are what work BEST for ME, what works BEST for YOU is what you need to have in your hand no matter what others opinions may be.
Good to see you have a gun you shoot better now. Regardless of the firearm being "premium" if it doesn't fit the shooter, the shooter won't shoot it well. Sounds like that was your case with the Hk. I'm just the opposite as the glocks just do not fit my hand very well but my Hk's do.
DuputyNorm,
I have not been impressed with ALL the H&K pistols over the years..and I've owned and shot them all.:)

IF you ever get the chance( and the bucks) get an H&K P7M13..
The 'squeeze cocker)

You'll never carry another 9MM pistol EVER for accuracy, simplicity of handling, safety..take down & cleaning.
A bit of learning on the manual of arms but after that..all the rest of the 9MM pistols pale by comparison.Jim
A lot of places seem to have used H&K p7s for sale at around $600.00. I've been thinking they sound pretty interesting. Would parts/service/magazines be a problem now a days?
2NDWind,
Magazines for the H&K P7M8 & P7 PSP German pistols are pretty available...but they are different from one another.
Still the same manual of arms and reliability and function with a barrel that never moves..

I paid less than 450.00 for my P7M13 H&K pistols back a few years..They are much more spendy now if one can find them.., even tho the 13 round mags are more available now..Jim
You got one heck of a deal Jim... I've never seen any of the H&K P7/13s in anything but photographs. Always thought it was a great idea though. I've always enjoyed target pistols and hunting revolvers. Never owned a pure self defense handgun before my recent purchase of a Glock 26.

I just ordered the green NYC trigger spring and a 3.5 pound connector that T Lee speaks highly of. Hoping that greatly improves my ability to shoot it accurately off hand. When I shoot it from a rest and REALLY concentrate on trigger pull, I can tell that this pistol is accurate enough to serve as a good field/woods loafing gun....

How about letting me know if you come across a deal <even in the same ball park> again on a P7 or P13 again?

Thanks
2ndwind,
I bought my H&K P7M13 pistols back in the mid 70's....:) Jim
Yeah I figured it was a "back awhile ago" price... still never hurts to askgrin

My wife and I both shot the new Glock 26 more today.... either the trigger is starting to smooth it's self out or we are both getting much more used to it... looking forward to trying it out with the incoming trigger spring/connector upgrades....
BlkHawk73

I think that's the thing. Different individuals shoot some guns better than other. The deputy who traded for my H&K
thinks it's great. And he shoots it very well.

There are some features I liked about my H&K. Multi-carry mode.
Cocked and locked, hammer down safety on, hammer down safet off, or hammer down on an empty chamber.

My problem with the later is how to get a round chambered if one arm is disabled and can't be used.

Thanks for the comments.

jim in oregon,

I've had three and all three seemed not up to the standard of a "premium" firearm. Triggers were all crunch double-action.
Single action triggers not all that great eithter. And the "loaded chamber indicator"s on all three were ambiguous and I chose to ignore them. Just could not be sure chamber loaded or empty by feeling the "loaded chamber indicator" on any of them.

I have shot a P7 sever shooter. I liked the gun but decided that's one old trick this old dog didn't want to learn. Besides I never did see the 13-shooter which would be my choice.

Thanks for the comments.
T LEE

I amd a J-Frame man too. I have an older 642 and a M&P 340 both with CTC Laser Grips. I am comfortable with either of these when loaded with the Speer short-barrel 135 grain Gold Dot .38 loads.

Thanks for the comments.
Kind of a Glock 9mm junkie here, my closet includes the 26, 19, 17, and 34. But not a 17L!

If you ever start carrying that 17L as a primary, consider the Double Tap ammo.

How about a 124gr Gold Dot moving out at 1400fps (from my 34)?
Conchworker,

The 17L will probably remain strickly a bowling pin and steel challenge firearm plus informal shooting with friends and my grandsons.

I've heard a few comments about Double Tap ammo. Have you compared it with Gold Dot? GD is what I carry now in my .380 and 9mm's.

You mentioned that you have a 34. I was thinking about buying one when I came upon the 17L. Does yours have a ported barrel?

Thanks,

conchworker

You said: How about a 124gr Gold Dot moving out at 1400fps (from my 34)?

Is this load standard pressure or +p. I have a supply of both.

Thanks,
© 24hourcampfire