Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Yesterday I took my Kel-Tec PF9 and my H&K USB Compact 9mm to the
Range. I was able to shoot the KT much better at 30� than I was the H&K.

I have never been able to shoot the H&K as well as I can shoot other guns. But since it is a �Premium� firearm I figured it was operator trouble. I've struggled with this iron for the five years I've owned it. I still believe it was operator trouble. Something I could not overcome with this particular gun.

Additionally my hand digested the PF9 recoil (with the same ammo) much better than the recoil from the H&K. There must be something in the ergonomics of the H&K that doesn�t match my hand and or shooting style.

To shorten a long story the owner�s son at the local gun shop put me touch with a local Deputy with a Glock 17L (long-slide since replaced by the model 34) he was interested in trading.

The deputy is pleased with his new H&K and I am very pleased with my new Glock 17L. Especially after shooting 100 rounds today. The first shot hit center in the bulls eye with remaining 4 in the mag in close proximity. I had loaded three magazines each with five rounds. The second and third mags proved to me that the Glock works for me.

I am anxiously awaiting the next Steel Challenge and bowling pin matches at the club.

Score: Austrians 1, Germans 0!!

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you DN! I really enjoy shooting my Glocks. 17L would make a nice grab.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would be even better with a green NYC trigger spring & 3.5 # connector. As for the platform, they are tack drivers.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
2crow

Yes it was. The gun looked NIB.

Thanks,

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
T LEE,

The dep I got it from had it setup that way.

Remember a while back, I had my 19 setup to
your recommendation. It shoot good too.

Thanks,

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeppers, that does make for a slick combo. That 17L should be a tack driver consistently I do believe.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Deputy_Norm
Yesterday I took my Kel-Tec PF9 and my H&K USB Compact 9mm to the
Range. I was able to shoot the KT much better at 30� than I was the H&K.

I have never been able to shoot the H&K as well as I can shoot other guns. But since it is a �Premium� firearm I figured it was operator trouble. I've struggled with this iron for the five years I've owned it. I still believe it was operator trouble. Something I could not overcome with this particular gun.

Additionally my hand digested the PF9 recoil (with the same ammo) much better than the recoil from the H&K. There must be something in the ergonomics of the H&K that doesn�t match my hand and or shooting style.

To shorten a long story the owner�s son at the local gun shop put me touch with a local Deputy with a Glock 17L (long-slide since replaced by the model 34) he was interested in trading.

The deputy is pleased with his new H&K and I am very pleased with my new Glock 17L. Especially after shooting 100 rounds today. The first shot hit center in the bulls eye with remaining 4 in the mag in close proximity. I had loaded three magazines each with five rounds. The second and third mags proved to me that the Glock works for me.

I am anxiously awaiting the next Steel Challenge and bowling pin matches at the club.

Score: Austrians 1, Germans 0!!
Now, if you ever get your hands on a 1911, you are really going to be exited. wink

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Hawk,

Lots of guys swear by 1911's. The ones I've had didn't function reliably.

I've never had a malfunction with any semiauto I've owned except for the four 1911's I've had. None of these were reliable even with ball ammo. (Ed Brown, Kimber and two Para Ordinance.)

I did have a Tanfoglio blow up in my hand, however. Does that count as a malfunction? smile

Thanks for the tip, but I'll stay with my modern weapons.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Norm - Congrats on the new 17L!

Someday soon I'm gonna take T's advice and swap out the springs in my G19 and G21SF.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sometimes it is the operator, not the pistol...

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gonna have to agree.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes I am willing to admit it might be the operator. However,
you need to understand that I have been shooting for 50 years.
I was a lawman for 20. I was among the first to carry semiauto on our department (S&W M59) with never a malfunctions. I've owned a truck load of semiautos over the years. Never a problem except for the 1911's.

But it might be me. Being a slow learner I finally decided after
$5,000 of 1911's that I'd better stick to what works for me.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Ivan,

Thanks for the comments.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is the best thing in any game Norm. If I an gonna grab a self stuffer my first choice is a 1911 in .38 Super then a Glock in 9mm. But my first choice for up close & personal SD is a Colt Cobra followed by a S&W "J" frame.

THOSE are what work BEST for ME, what works BEST for YOU is what you need to have in your hand no matter what others opinions may be.

Old cat turd!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good to see you have a gun you shoot better now. Regardless of the firearm being "premium" if it doesn't fit the shooter, the shooter won't shoot it well. Sounds like that was your case with the Hk. I'm just the opposite as the glocks just do not fit my hand very well but my Hk's do.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
DuputyNorm,
I have not been impressed with ALL the H&K pistols over the years..and I've owned and shot them all.:)

IF you ever get the chance( and the bucks) get an H&K P7M13..
The 'squeeze cocker)

You'll never carry another 9MM pistol EVER for accuracy, simplicity of handling, safety..take down & cleaning.
A bit of learning on the manual of arms but after that..all the rest of the 9MM pistols pale by comparison.Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of places seem to have used H&K p7s for sale at around $600.00. I've been thinking they sound pretty interesting. Would parts/service/magazines be a problem now a days?

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
2NDWind,
Magazines for the H&K P7M8 & P7 PSP German pistols are pretty available...but they are different from one another.
Still the same manual of arms and reliability and function with a barrel that never moves..

I paid less than 450.00 for my P7M13 H&K pistols back a few years..They are much more spendy now if one can find them.., even tho the 13 round mags are more available now..Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You got one heck of a deal Jim... I've never seen any of the H&K P7/13s in anything but photographs. Always thought it was a great idea though. I've always enjoyed target pistols and hunting revolvers. Never owned a pure self defense handgun before my recent purchase of a Glock 26.

I just ordered the green NYC trigger spring and a 3.5 pound connector that T Lee speaks highly of. Hoping that greatly improves my ability to shoot it accurately off hand. When I shoot it from a rest and REALLY concentrate on trigger pull, I can tell that this pistol is accurate enough to serve as a good field/woods loafing gun....

How about letting me know if you come across a deal <even in the same ball park> again on a P7 or P13 again?

Thanks

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
2ndwind,
I bought my H&K P7M13 pistols back in the mid 70's....:) Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 56 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,804
Posts18,477,500
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.