Home
I have wanted one of these forever. Ran across a guy who had one today and who did not like it. Too heavy, no ammo at Wal Mart, etc. etc. and he traded me for my Taurus 357! I cannot believe my good fortune. Now I need some ammo (no, not available at Wally mart) and a good holster. Probably gonna PM Greg in Tn. This one is Stainless Steel, already has a semi beavertail grip safety and pachmeyer grips, but the trigger leaves some to be desired. What do ya'll reccomend for a good "no fitting required, duffer like me can install" trigger?

Pretty excited about this one!

Anyone out there have some exta full power 10mm ammo they can sell or trade to me? Seems like a lot of factory stuff lately is just long 40S&W ammo.
Originally Posted by safariman
I have wanted one of these forever. Ran across a guy who had one today and who did not like it. Too heavy, no ammo at Wal Mart, etc. etc. and he traded me for my Taurus 357! I cannot believe my good fortune. Now I need some ammo (no, not available at Wally mart) and a good holster. Probably gonna PM Greg in Tn. This one is Stainless Steel, already has a semi beavertail grip safety and pachmeyer grips, but the trigger leaves some to be desired. What do ya'll reccomend for a good "no fitting required, duffer like me can install" trigger?

Anyone out there have some exta full power 10mm ammo they can sell or trade to me? Seems like a lot of factory stuff lately is just long 40S&W ammo.
Some dude traded you a Delta Elite, straight-up, for some Taurus .357? Wow.

Any holster that fits a standard 1911 will work. My favorite from the three or four I've got is a Galco, forward-raked thumb-break. Personally, I would stay with factory-spec ammo until I saw how my Delta was going to shoot. I expect that with the right recoil spring, it will be about as strong as any, but amongst the probably dozen or so different 10's I've owned, I'd have to say the Delta as originally produced, was the weak sister.
I've got some original Norma ammo somewhere in the basement, IIRC. I don't have plans to get rid of it though.
learn to reload, seriously. It will allow you to reload from mild to wild. I personally used Longshot powder, 180 grain Hornady XTP's, CCI primers, and Winchester Brass. You can google Double Tap which manufactures 10mm ammo, or Ammoman.com.
ESOX357 I have been reloading since 1972. Shot my first deer with ammo I loaded myself, albeit at that time with close supervision from an older and experienced mentor. Of the Myriads of big game animals I have shot over the years from very small African Antelopes up to and including Elephant only one of them was killed using any kind of factory made fodder. I simply choose - most of the time - to run some kind of factory stuff through my pistols as I have been able to find ammo cheap enough and such that the economy of loading was not worth the time and effort to me. This probably just changed, however, with the aquisition of this new toy. Point taken and a set of 10mm dies is likely in my very near future.

In your experience, is the ammoman or Double tap 10mm stuff more up to original and intended 10mm specs than most of the anemic stuff now out there?
Cole Younger,

So, is it your reccomendation that when I buy my trigger, that I buy a stiffer recoil spring at the same time? What poundage would you suggest? I don't mind a stiffer slide movement at all, I have really huge and still pretty strong hands. Wifey has no interest in shooting this either one as she has her own handguns that suit her well. Her hands are quite slender and she held this one for about 1/2 second to 'admire' it before handing it back smile

And yep, that was about the deal. I bought two other rifles from him to re-sell (listed here in classifieds) at the same time for cash so maybe that plus the fact that he really never warmed up to this gun all played a part. He is quite a long time gun, hunting and reloading enthusiast with all mental faculties in good working order. Still, maybe my best trade deal ever. He is, addmittedly, not much of a pistol guy. The easy to use and feed 357 was a better fit for him overall and the one I traded him WAS a really pretty brushed stainless steel gun with extra nice wood. In like new condition, as well. Quite pretty, even though a Taurus.
You kinda sorta stole that Delta grin

I only own three 10mm's. Great cartridge, and combo for the 1911.

Cor-Bon and Hornady are fairly easy to find, and they hit full power easily. Never have tried the Double Tap or Buff Bore ammo.

I'd work up carefully on loads. Accurate #7 works well, but older lots can be inconsistent in burn rate, so start about 15% off max listed loads if you use it - especially if still has the original barrel.

Hornady at one time listed 13.7gr of AA#7 under 155 bullets; 13 grains bulged the cases over the feedramp of a Bar-sto barrel, and gave 1425 fps. 12 grains gave 1325 fps and excellent groups.

If it still has the dual recoil springs, and plastic guide rod, I'd set them aside and get a standard rod and 22-24lb recoil spring.

And if you want to experiment, you can have a 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or 9x25 Dillon in the same gun, just changing out barrels. grin
lol You cleaned up. The bestest Taurus 3-5-7 made is about a $300 gun used. NOTHING wrong with them, just not an expensive gun. Whereas, you're looking at close to a grand for about any Delta Elite.

At any rate, recommendations? You've got me confused with an expert. What I would do is nothing, for now. It may not need anything. I'm sure some of the 1911 experts can tell you the exact poundage. I know that the Delta Elite was infamous for not being quite heavy enough and that most of the problem was attributed to the recoil spring. Latter guns may have had stiffer springs-I disremember. A friend of mine has one of the first with many rounds through it and IIRC, unmodified. Hence my saying to wait and see. I think this is a problem that develops rather than just hits all at once and it doesn't sound like this pistola has been shot a lot. My guess is that the standard spring is like 16 lbs. and you need something like an 18 lber. I've heard of 21 lbs...Dunno but I'm sure somebody here does. I know the 10 and the 45 ACP +P shooters like heavier ones. I never had problems with the one DE I owned, but I didn't own it long enough to shoot it a bunch.
Sounds like Tex knows his stuff. I was wondering as I typed if they had some sort of dual recoil spring setup, but I couldn't remember. There you go.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

And if you want to experiment, you can have a 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or 9x25 Dillon in the same gun, just changing out barrels. grin
Too confusing. I might try to shoot a 38 WCF in it or some such.
Heavier springs (Wolff), recoil buffer.

A Milt Sparks IWB makes a WORLD of difference. Executive Companion, Summer Special II, or Versa-Max II.

Tritium sights.

Winchester 175 grain SilverTip JHPs cover all the bases.

If you want more than that, handload it. The DoubleTap stuff is PRICEY, and ask coyotewallace about their CS and quality control.... not good.

Seriously, if 175 grains at over 1200 fps doesn't get it done, you need a rifle. They chrono'd just under 1200 (average was about 1185, IIRC) in my G20, and about 1125 in my G29. In the DE, I've chrono'd them at pushing 1250. Deer HATE those bullets; they act like a bonded core HP, punch through from odd angles, and are plenty, plenty good for SD.

Of the loads available, in my experience and opinion, it's one of the very, very few out there that is powerful enough to take care of field use and STILL be soft enough and slow enough for self-defense use. Many of the field-only loads are far too powerful and hard for SD use (punch throughs, limited expansion, etc.). The SD loads are by and large too soft and slow for field use. The STHPs cover both bases.

I know you well enough to know that you will find the hottest load possible for it, just because. If so, go with the heaviest springs possible, and a recoil buffer. The gun will need it. You don't and won't need those loads, but you'll run them, and thus the gun will need those upgrades.
You know me too well!

Thanks to all for the tips, and info. Pistola has been fired, according to the original owner, only about 40 times total so I may run it as is for a while excepting a better trigger. Upgraded springs and buffer etc. when I have some spare cash. Right now I am going to have to raid the couch looking for loose change for ammo money! smile

Probably will have to run an inexpensive nylon holster for a little while but if a pancake style it will be OK for now.
Wow, what a trade!

Doubletap has your high-octane 10mm loads,

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_25&osCsid=cpe9rm0nk9n86s07fk66hmcbh6
MM, THANKS for the link and idea. Yep, high octane all right - especially that 230gr hardcastWFNGC load! But at about #1.00 per I am gonna miss my old 45 really quicklike! I think it is finally time to get some dies and components. Was not a good trade, time for dollars, to load pistol ammo at 45ACP, 9mm etc. ammo prices but the equation is now different.
If your google-fu is strong, you should be able to find a 40SW barrel for the Delta Elite too. That would open up your reasonably priced ammo options.
I think Numrich Arms is one vendor for the 40SW barrel.
I have a 40, (KAHR CW40) bought this one to be my BIG MEDICINE gun smile

Lookin at the data, this 10mm round properly loaded is not too far behind a 41 Magnum. Me likey that. Very much.....
Posted By: SU35 Re: FINALLY got me a Delta Elite! - 11/04/11
Nice snag, I've always wanted one as well.

Thanks, the first day I saw these announced in a gun rag I wanted one. Near 41 Mag power in a thin 1911 package? Had to have it someday. Took me a while and an unusually good trade opportunity but I am sure excited about this one. Will do as my do it all handgun until better times come around again.
I want a Delta Elite...actually 2. One for each hand.
That was a great deal you made Mark !
About the 10mm rd., I, too, have found some of the published data too hot - bulged cases and all. Apparently the round goes critical easily. Like VA said, you really don't need to run it hot. The guns and the brass don't do well.
Usually very accurate. I've shot groups on the order of 3/4 of an inch at 25 yds. and it usually shoots 1.5 inches with almost any load. Might add that mine is a 1006 Smith. But the Colts I've shot were very good as well.
I'd recommend the Hornady ammo. Their XTP bullets leave nothing to be desired. Never tried the Double Tap ammo, but their wide, hard cast 200 gr. bullet, pushed by 9.5 grs. of AA#7, penetrates 50% more than a full power, .44 Magnum load with the 240 gr. Hornady XTP. Can't imagine what more I'd ever need for anything.
I'd recommend Starline cases as they work well. Had some WW cases that were made too short. Hornady cases are good, but alot lighter than the Starline stuff.
Don't try to get too many reloads out of them for anything serious. After 4-5 reloads, the rims get pretty beat up and then you may get a failure of some sort.
For something not far behind the .41 Magnum, they kick and roar significantly less. That alone makes them very worthy of consideration. E
Posted By: eh76 Re: FINALLY got me a Delta Elite! - 11/04/11
Mark you won't like it, so save yourself the trouble and just send it to me wink
Prolly not.... grinzzzzz
E,

THANKS for the reloading and ammo tips. Thinking about taking my unsold as of yet 375 H&H to a gun show up north and if I do I will try to snag some ammo, dies, etc. The ammo IS rather scarce around these parts!
E,

THANKS for the reloading and ammo tips. Thinking about taking my unsold as of yet 375 H&H to a gun show up north and if I do I will try to snag some ammo, dies, etc. The ammo IS rather scarce around these parts!

Congratulations on your good fortune. The actual trigger pull may work itself into something decent, but that wiggle and rattle of the actual trigger just wont stand.

I've always wanted one of those myself but have never got around to getting one yet. Even have several boxes of the original Winchester Black Talon's but no gun to shoot them in!
If I need factory ammo, I just mail order it. Lots of it around. E
Yeah, but I have been store hopping all day 'cause I wanted to carry it with a full magazine and one in the tube. I DID carry it all day, with just five total rounds available. Put it into an old Uncle Mikes nylon slide holster I had laying around. Actually was pretty comfortable!
Originally Posted by orion03
I've always wanted one of those myself but have never got around to getting one yet. Even have several boxes of the original Winchester Black Talon's but no gun to shoot them in!

don't tease me like that if you are not going to let me trade you out of 'em...... That would be mean smile
Mark;

Bowling pins = CCI Blazer 200 grain truncated cone flat nose. Cheap, reliable, plenty accurate enough, and thump the Hell out of stuff.

For future reference, of course... wink
How did you know that I was thinnking about the bowling pin match for this gun? A veritable KRESKIN you are!

Next years 24hrcf meet and bowling pin shoot is the main reason I have to upgrade the trigger. Trigger is A.O.K. for misc shooting and such.

I was also looking at the hardcast WFNGC 230 at 1200fps load that one of these turkeys turned me onto. Should knock them pins right on down, eh? Kinda spendy though unless I get on the stick with handloading for this pig right away. I will look for the Blazer ammo and buy a pile of it when it is found. Probably would be great small game ammo as well. 40 cal hole all the way through, no expansion or such nastiness = dead bunny, tree squirrel, grouse etc. with minimal meat loss or evicserations.
what fun is that?
FWIW,

Double Tap 10mm, 230gr WFN from a Glock 20 chronoed 1,045 fps for 5 rounds at 5 paces and at 65 deg F.

Double Tap 40 S&W, 200gr WFN from a Kahr CW40 chroned 929 fps for 5 rounds at 5 paces and a5 65 def F.

Paul
I heard that the National Bowling Pin Shooters Assoc was going to ban the 10mm for next years comps.

Since the Washington group abides by their rules....

However, you sure can bring it so we can all check it out... grin
Posted By: JOG Re: FINALLY got me a Delta Elite! - 11/05/11
Lookin at the data, this 10mm round properly loaded is not too far behind a 41 Magnum. Me likey that. Very much.....

I dunno about that, but the 10mm is a good round on its own merits.
Originally Posted by paul105
FWIW,

Double Tap 10mm, 230gr WFN from a Glock 20 chronoed 1,045 fps for 5 rounds at 5 paces and at 65 deg F.

Double Tap 40 S&W, 200gr WFN from a Kahr CW40 chroned 929 fps for 5 rounds at 5 paces and a5 65 def F.

Paul

Coolness! I have a KAHR CW40, too! THAT load would be pretty miserable to shoot in this little gun, though. I think I will stick with my +P Black Talon 180's given to me by my PD Sergeant Brother in Law for the KAHR. That 200gr DT load COUULD be of use, however for the wifey to carry in my littel KAHR when we are hiking and motorcycle riding in bear country. Hmmm, 10mm with 230's on my hip, that load 200gr DT load x 7 in the Kahr on hers. Liking our armament for all manner of dangerous varmints, however many legs they might have.

RE your stats on the 10mm vs the 40S&W. 30 more grains of lead, at about 120 more FPS for the 10. Again, ME LIKEY!
Originally Posted by bcolorado
I heard that the National Bowling Pin Shooters Assoc was going to ban the 10mm for next years comps.

Since the Washington group abides by their rules....

However, you sure can bring it so we can all check it out... grin

That, would totally SUCK EGGS!
Just tryin to even up the field... grin

Oh, and by the way good catch on that Elite.

Besides, Hippie Chick needs to shoot the 10.

She did real well with your 416 grin
Thank You!

I am already looking forward to next years event. I don't think anyone os going to give me any beginners slack or handicap points this year, however.
Yeah, the hippie chick actually did really well with both my 416 Rigby AND my then favorite Kimber Pro Carry 45.

The 200 Blazer loads are controllable, quick back onto target, and cheap. The 230 DTs are, not. In any category.

Having run a LOT of 10mm loads through G29s, G20s, DEs, and 1006s, I'm not speaking out of turn when I keep repeating the 175 STHPs as covering all bases.

If you want one load that will deck deer, defend you and yours against two-leggeds or potentially large four-leggeds...that load is "it". The DT stuff heavy SUCKs on close range or "thin" expansion, is heavy recoil, slow back on target and is way too damned expensive to practice with. The lighter stuff sucks for heavy duty.

Think of the 175 STHPs like a crewcab 3/4 ton. She won't haul like a dually 1-ton, and she won't handle like a sedan, but be damned if she don't do whatever you throw at her plenty well enough.

I know you still ain't gonna listen because there's a couple extra grains and a few fps that you think makes everything work better, but facts and experience are what they are.
Yeah, if the only load I had for 10mm was the 175 Silvertip I wouldn't feel a bit limited.

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The 200 Blazer loads are controllable, quick back onto target, and cheap. The 230 DTs are, not. In any category.

Having run a LOT of 10mm loads through G29s, G20s, DEs, and 1006s, I'm not speaking out of turn when I keep repeating the 175 STHPs as covering all bases.

If you want one load that will deck deer, defend you and yours against two-leggeds or potentially large four-leggeds...that load is "it". The DT stuff heavy SUCKs on close range or "thin" expansion, is heavy recoil, slow back on target and is way too damned expensive to practice with. The lighter stuff sucks for heavy duty.

Think of the 175 STHPs like a crewcab 3/4 ton. She won't haul like a dually 1-ton, and she won't handle like a sedan, but be damned if she don't do whatever you throw at her plenty well enough.

I know you still ain't gonna listen because there's a couple extra grains and a few fps that you think makes everything work better, but facts and experience are what they are.
I think I can safely say that you like the 175 grain STHP. hawhawhaw
Here you go. All the 10mm info you can stand.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10mmTalk-Lounge-f247.html
You'd better hit'em in the head if you want much left to eat with that load. A large flat point, at those speeds will blow a grouse to bits and take out some good meat on a rabbit. On a tree squirrel, since most of the meat is in the rear, it should work OK.
BTW, a good, cheap pratice load those CCI 200 gr. FMJ FP's that VA mentioned. E
I have shot grouse through the wing bases with my old 329PDs using Cast Performance and LBT bullets and had lots of meat left to eat, but point taken. Head shots are the best of that shot is presented and can be made by the shooter. I can do it only if they are really close. Not that great of a handgunner anymore.

VA/Sean.... The first tenor in my Gospel Quartet (you may remeber George White)is going up to Spokane today. The WW 175gr load is at the top of the list I sent with him to look for. I am not doubting your experience or reccomendation at all, but I still want to play with some other loads just for fun and to have a separate black bear load as well as a cheap practice load. Probably will carry the 175's for 95% of my carry needs and only stuff it with the WFNGC 230's when wondering around in bear country. Do appreciate the intel, I would not have asked had I not wanted to learn form someone else's experiences and expenditure of ammo money. Your reccoemendation is appreciated and will be my baseline starting point as well as default load for the time being.
It's nice when you can make that wing base shot.
I remember the first time I tried to knock the head off a grouse. Missed him twice. Held just a bit lower and hit him high in the breast/crop area. That 145 gr. Speer out my 7X57 blew him apart. What a waste.
Have fun with the 10. Just be careful loading for it. It does not take well to any kind of hot loading. E
Originally Posted by Fotis
Here you go. All the 10mm info you can stand.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10mmTalk-Lounge-f247.html

Wow,,,,, what a great site for 10mm data and such. I just read several threads front to back. I probably won't join another forum but thank you for the link. I learned a lot there. MARK
Originally Posted by Eremicus
It's nice when you can make that wing base shot.
I remember the first time I tried to knock the head off a grouse. Missed him twice. Held just a bit lower and hit him high in the breast/crop area. That 145 gr. Speer out my 7X57 blew him apart. What a waste.
Have fun with the 10. Just be careful loading for it. It does not take well to any kind of hot loading. E

Based on the conversations at the forum that Fotis sent me to, the 10mm can be hopped up a bit if one buys an aftermarket barrel that fully supports the case head. I cannot afford such an upgrade right (scratchin for change to buy ammo!) now but a full 6 inch match grade full support ramped barrel might be in the future for this gun.
I was under the impression that particular barrel "problem" was specific to Glock. If not, I'm happy to learn otherwise.
I just looked carefully at the barrel/chamber of my Colt Delta Elite. It does not support the lower portion of the case at its rear or web region.
OK Thanks for checking.
I just looked carefully at the barrel/chamber of my Colt Delta Elite. It does not support the lower portion of the case at its rear or web region.

Sorry, I am just back from deer hunting - or more accurately looking at bucks that are too small to shoot frown

Several folks make ramped barrels for 1911's that fully support the case head, however they require a frame modification.

I have a Kimber with the ramped barrel. Nice peace of mind, but it doesn't feed as well as the Deltas. YMMV.
I will most likely stay with the barrel that is in it, no need to go hotter then the stuff that is out there. As VA put it, if I can't do it with a 10mm load as is, I need a rifle. I agree as
I am NOT that good of a shot with a handgun anyway. I just got some ammo for this beast, and will probably fire it tommorrow. If I do a report of some sort will follow on that.
Posted By: eh76 Re: FINALLY got me a Delta Elite! - 11/08/11
thread is no good....no pics
No working camera. Might have it running tomorrow and if I do I will post a picture or two.
Buy Double Tap from Midway.
You won't be disappointed.

By the way, what serial number is the Delta?

Also curious to hear how it shoots smile
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Some dude traded you a Delta Elite, straight-up, for some Taurus .357? Wow.

Any holster that fits a standard 1911 will work. My favorite from the three or four I've got is a Galco, forward-raked thumb-break. Personally, I would stay with factory-spec ammo until I saw how my Delta was going to shoot. I expect that with the right recoil spring, it will be about as strong as any, but amongst the probably dozen or so different 10's I've owned, I'd have to say the Delta as originally produced, was the weak sister.

WHAT ARE THE 10'S YOU'VE OWNED AND PLEASE WOULD YOU RATE THEM THEM ITO RELIABILITY AND DURABILITY! I'M JUST STARTING OFF PRACTICAL PISTOL COMP SHOOTING AND NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!!
Sorry that I cannot be of help there. This is my first ever 10mm, and I have not yet fired this one even once yet.

Might want to start a new thread about the various 10mm pistols and the plusses and minusses of each.
© 24hourcampfire