Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The 200 Blazer loads are controllable, quick back onto target, and cheap. The 230 DTs are, not. In any category.

Having run a LOT of 10mm loads through G29s, G20s, DEs, and 1006s, I'm not speaking out of turn when I keep repeating the 175 STHPs as covering all bases.

If you want one load that will deck deer, defend you and yours against two-leggeds or potentially large four-leggeds...that load is "it". The DT stuff heavy SUCKs on close range or "thin" expansion, is heavy recoil, slow back on target and is way too damned expensive to practice with. The lighter stuff sucks for heavy duty.

Think of the 175 STHPs like a crewcab 3/4 ton. She won't haul like a dually 1-ton, and she won't handle like a sedan, but be damned if she don't do whatever you throw at her plenty well enough.

I know you still ain't gonna listen because there's a couple extra grains and a few fps that you think makes everything work better, but facts and experience are what they are.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, if the only load I had for 10mm was the 175 Silvertip I wouldn't feel a bit limited.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The 200 Blazer loads are controllable, quick back onto target, and cheap. The 230 DTs are, not. In any category.

Having run a LOT of 10mm loads through G29s, G20s, DEs, and 1006s, I'm not speaking out of turn when I keep repeating the 175 STHPs as covering all bases.

If you want one load that will deck deer, defend you and yours against two-leggeds or potentially large four-leggeds...that load is "it". The DT stuff heavy SUCKs on close range or "thin" expansion, is heavy recoil, slow back on target and is way too damned expensive to practice with. The lighter stuff sucks for heavy duty.

Think of the 175 STHPs like a crewcab 3/4 ton. She won't haul like a dually 1-ton, and she won't handle like a sedan, but be damned if she don't do whatever you throw at her plenty well enough.

I know you still ain't gonna listen because there's a couple extra grains and a few fps that you think makes everything work better, but facts and experience are what they are.
I think I can safely say that you like the 175 grain STHP. hawhawhaw

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here you go. All the 10mm info you can stand.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10mmTalk-Lounge-f247.html

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You'd better hit'em in the head if you want much left to eat with that load. A large flat point, at those speeds will blow a grouse to bits and take out some good meat on a rabbit. On a tree squirrel, since most of the meat is in the rear, it should work OK.
BTW, a good, cheap pratice load those CCI 200 gr. FMJ FP's that VA mentioned. E

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have shot grouse through the wing bases with my old 329PDs using Cast Performance and LBT bullets and had lots of meat left to eat, but point taken. Head shots are the best of that shot is presented and can be made by the shooter. I can do it only if they are really close. Not that great of a handgunner anymore.

VA/Sean.... The first tenor in my Gospel Quartet (you may remeber George White)is going up to Spokane today. The WW 175gr load is at the top of the list I sent with him to look for. I am not doubting your experience or reccomendation at all, but I still want to play with some other loads just for fun and to have a separate black bear load as well as a cheap practice load. Probably will carry the 175's for 95% of my carry needs and only stuff it with the WFNGC 230's when wondering around in bear country. Do appreciate the intel, I would not have asked had I not wanted to learn form someone else's experiences and expenditure of ammo money. Your reccoemendation is appreciated and will be my baseline starting point as well as default load for the time being.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It's nice when you can make that wing base shot.
I remember the first time I tried to knock the head off a grouse. Missed him twice. Held just a bit lower and hit him high in the breast/crop area. That 145 gr. Speer out my 7X57 blew him apart. What a waste.
Have fun with the 10. Just be careful loading for it. It does not take well to any kind of hot loading. E

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis
Here you go. All the 10mm info you can stand.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10mmTalk-Lounge-f247.html

Wow,,,,, what a great site for 10mm data and such. I just read several threads front to back. I probably won't join another forum but thank you for the link. I learned a lot there. MARK

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
It's nice when you can make that wing base shot.
I remember the first time I tried to knock the head off a grouse. Missed him twice. Held just a bit lower and hit him high in the breast/crop area. That 145 gr. Speer out my 7X57 blew him apart. What a waste.
Have fun with the 10. Just be careful loading for it. It does not take well to any kind of hot loading. E

Based on the conversations at the forum that Fotis sent me to, the 10mm can be hopped up a bit if one buys an aftermarket barrel that fully supports the case head. I cannot afford such an upgrade right (scratchin for change to buy ammo!) now but a full 6 inch match grade full support ramped barrel might be in the future for this gun.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I was under the impression that particular barrel "problem" was specific to Glock. If not, I'm happy to learn otherwise.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just looked carefully at the barrel/chamber of my Colt Delta Elite. It does not support the lower portion of the case at its rear or web region.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
OK Thanks for checking.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
I just looked carefully at the barrel/chamber of my Colt Delta Elite. It does not support the lower portion of the case at its rear or web region.

Sorry, I am just back from deer hunting - or more accurately looking at bucks that are too small to shoot frown

Several folks make ramped barrels for 1911's that fully support the case head, however they require a frame modification.

I have a Kimber with the ramped barrel. Nice peace of mind, but it doesn't feed as well as the Deltas. YMMV.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will most likely stay with the barrel that is in it, no need to go hotter then the stuff that is out there. As VA put it, if I can't do it with a 10mm load as is, I need a rifle. I agree as
I am NOT that good of a shot with a handgun anyway. I just got some ammo for this beast, and will probably fire it tommorrow. If I do a report of some sort will follow on that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
thread is no good....no pics

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No working camera. Might have it running tomorrow and if I do I will post a picture or two.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Buy Double Tap from Midway.
You won't be disappointed.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By the way, what serial number is the Delta?

Also curious to hear how it shoots smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by safariman
I have wanted one of these forever. Ran across a guy who had one today and who did not like it. Too heavy, no ammo at Wal Mart, etc. etc. and he traded me for my Taurus 357! I cannot believe my good fortune. Now I need some ammo (no, not available at Wally mart) and a good holster. Probably gonna PM Greg in Tn. This one is Stainless Steel, already has a semi beavertail grip safety and pachmeyer grips, but the trigger leaves some to be desired. What do ya'll reccomend for a good "no fitting required, duffer like me can install" trigger?

Pretty excited about this one!

Anyone out there have some exta full power 10mm ammo they can sell or trade to me? Seems like a lot of factory stuff lately is just long 40S&W ammo.
Some dude traded you a Delta Elite, straight-up, for some Taurus .357? Wow.

Any holster that fits a standard 1911 will work. My favorite from the three or four I've got is a Galco, forward-raked thumb-break. Personally, I would stay with factory-spec ammo until I saw how my Delta was going to shoot. I expect that with the right recoil spring, it will be about as strong as any, but amongst the probably dozen or so different 10's I've owned, I'd have to say the Delta as originally produced, was the weak sister.

WHAT ARE THE 10'S YOU'VE OWNED AND PLEASE WOULD YOU RATE THEM THEM ITO RELIABILITY AND DURABILITY! I'M JUST STARTING OFF PRACTICAL PISTOL COMP SHOOTING AND NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sorry that I cannot be of help there. This is my first ever 10mm, and I have not yet fired this one even once yet.

Might want to start a new thread about the various 10mm pistols and the plusses and minusses of each.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (1beaver_shooter, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,014
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.