Home
Fellas,

I could use some help:

I recently bought some Rainier Plated HPs and loaded them up. I have tried two different COL's (1.215" and 1.200") and have gotten the same problem: The first round out of the magazine won't feed. It goes forward until it jams against the top of the feed ramp at the base of the chamber.

Everything else has fed just slick--factory ammo of all kinds, Berry's plated, cast lead flat points, cast lead round nose, and SWC. Bullet weights from 185 gr to 230 gr all feed fine. The only problem I've had is with the Rainier 230gr Hex HP as stated above.

I've tried with several proven magazines. The mags and the gun are clean. My other pet load (230gr cast lead TCBB from Penn at 1.215") still feed/function fine.

I made a couple dummy rounds just to see if a different OAL would make a difference. Longer rounds didn't change anything. Shortening up to 1.185" to 1.190" made things a lot better. They go into battery, but not by a lot.

So...a couple questions:

1. Can I take loaded ammo and seat the bullet deeper and then re-crimp or am I going to blow myself up?

2. Any other ideas regarding this bullet to feed?

Thanks all!
Here is an idea for you, use that stuff as is at the 24hrcf Bowling pin shoot! smile
Maybe you'd like me to shoot my Sig .380 instead of my .45! smile
I would seat a few of them deeper, so that the entire bearing surface is inside the case and the ogive starts at the case mouth. Assuming you have used a taper crimp, you should be able to seat loaded rounds deeper and recrimp. As long as you are not already pushing the limits, you should have no safety issues.
Originally Posted by Waders

That'd work too! I MIGHT have a prayer then. smile
It my understanding that its Mark that should be using a Single Six for next year's shoot smile smile

If that is the smallest you have then it would be OK with me. grin
Originally Posted by avagadro
It my understanding that its Mark that should be using a Single Six for next year's shoot smile smile

Mark knows what he is doing with a 45. He cleaned my clock and did it with style. Looking back perhaps it would not have been the best time to show off my trick shooting skills by hanging the tops of five pins off the back of the table with five shots. crazy
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I would seat a few of them deeper, so that the entire bearing surface is inside the case and the ogive starts at the case mouth. Assuming you have used a taper crimp, you should be able to seat loaded rounds deeper and recrimp. As long as you are not already pushing the limits, you should have no safety issues.

That is exactly how I load my 230 cast truncated cone.

Wade, you can seat the loaded ones deeper then rerun the Lee factory crimp die. Try a handful and see if it does not fix the problem.
Fellas,

I could use some help:

I recently bought some Rainier Plated HPs and loaded them up. I have tried two different COL's (1.215" and 1.200") and have gotten the same problem: The first round out of the magazine won't feed. It goes forward until it jams against the top of the feed ramp at the base of the chamber.

Everything else has fed just slick--factory ammo of all kinds, Berry's plated, cast lead flat points, cast lead round nose, and SWC. Bullet weights from 185 gr to 230 gr all feed fine. The only problem I've had is with the Rainier 230gr Hex HP as stated above.

I've tried with several proven magazines. The mags and the gun are clean. My other pet load (230gr cast lead TCBB from Penn at 1.215") still feed/function fine.

I made a couple dummy rounds just to see if a different OAL would make a difference. Longer rounds didn't change anything. Shortening up to 1.185" to 1.190" made things a lot better. They go into battery, but not by a lot.

So...a couple questions:

1. Can I take loaded ammo and seat the bullet deeper and then re-crimp or am I going to blow myself up?

Thanks all!
Clean it and make sure it's got enough lube. Check your magazines. Check the feed ramp. The latter is probably the culprit in which case getting and old school feed ramp job is probably in order.

As to the first question, the safest route would be to pull the bullets and do it over.
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
[/quote]Clean it and make sure it's got enough lube. Check your magazines. Check the feed ramp. The latter is probably the culprit in which case getting and old school feed ramp job is probably in order.

I've used the Ranier plated hollowpoints in 9mm in my K9 with no problems whatsoever - but never tried them in .45acp.

If it were my gun and adjusting the load length didn't work, I would be happy that it runs with other hollowpoints and with SWC, and sell/give the remainder of the Rainier fodder to someone who can use them. It ain't worth fussing with the gun over. Really - why do you want to spend extra money on the plated HP's vs cast SWC?
I sent Rainier an email, asking for some help.

A guy responded and said that they've had some real trouble getting that particular bullet to feed in Kimbers. (I sure appreciate his candor--that's refreshing!) He suggested an OAL of 1.190" and if that doesn't work to telephone him and he'd try to help me figure it out.

So, it looks like I was on the right track. I'm going to try some live rounds at 1.190" and see how it goes. Props (so far) to Rainier for their customer service!

...And I am off to shoot pins with that gun tonight at 7:00pm. I managed to squeak out a win last week. It's been a long time since anybody in the club has won two weeks in a row. I'm hoping for the best though...
What magazine are you using?

If it's the stock Kimber, there are lots that are better, especially in a short gun.......you have a Pro, right?

MM
Fellas,

I could use some help:

So...a couple questions:

Thanks all!

Use another bullet.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Use another bullet.

Except I've got 1000 of them.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
What magazine are you using?

If it's the stock Kimber, there are lots that are better, especially in a short gun.......you have a Pro, right?

MM

I used 2 different style Kimber mags, a Tripp Research and a Wilson Combat. All are proven mags with other loads.
Yeah, if the Wilson's & Tripp's won't feed than it's another issue.

If the COL doesn't do the job, then I really wouldn't waste more time on it.

MM
Actually, in my Kimber, the most reliable mags have been "KimPro Tac-Mags," Kimber's own aftermarket magazines. Wilson Combat have been the least reliable (probably two jams). For EDC, I use the Kimber mags.
Waders, connecting the dots from your other thread - did you get the recoil spring squared away?

Using one of your dummy rounds, does the slide snap into battery if you tap the muzzle with a piece of wood?
What type of 1911 do you have????
Boococky: Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II.

JOG: I am going to switch springs and shorten the OAL. I'm thinking I'll be in good shape.

Boococky: Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II.

JOG: I am going to switch springs and shorten the OAL. I'm thinking I'll be in good shape.

Very nice gun.....I have seen some issues from time to time with certain hollow points jamming like yours seem to be. It was only in certain 1911s and yours is not one of them....hope you figure it out! smile
Ok, if no one else will say it.....

Trade it for Glock.
laugh laugh laugh

That won't happen until long after cows have learned to fly!
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

Trade it for Glock.

laugh

I love my Glock, but there is nothing like a 1911 wink
I have never had Rainier .45 cal HPs feed well in my Glocks or my Kimber 1911, FWIW.
This is interesting to read since I was using some Berry�s plated 200 gr. HP, basically a truncated cone shape, in my new Ruger SR1911 and it had the same failure to feed about once per magazine. It did this with both factory magazines, I don�t have any aftermarket mags yet. Tried two different lengths and it would still hang up on the feed ramp.

Same loads, same OAL in my Springfield XDm .45 fed fine.
With enough dinking around it can be made to work..........I have adjusted follower angle & feed lips on many a magazine to get the right angle & timing of the release, but really, with so many other bullet designs & shapes that will work with much less effort, why bother anymore.

MM
That's my thought as well. I'll use up the rest of this box of plated bullets in the Springfield and won't buy any more. Have already bought a box of 230 grain RNL for the Ruger.
I think you're on the right track, sounds like your gun doesn't like the bullet's profile at the seating depth your at now. Truncated cone profiles versus the radiused ogive of a round nose bullet seem to cause more potential feed problems. If Rainier's recommendations don't work I'd go back to a bullet that does work reliably in your gun and trade the rest to your bowling pin buddies.

Originally Posted by Boococky

Trade it for Glock.

laugh

LOL,
After many many years of not owning one and listening to all the hype about how great 1911s were I finally bought one about 2 years ago. I did some research and based on the opinions of some respected people I know who own them I bought a SW1911 Doug Koenig version. A nice looking gun but out of the box wouldn't feed even 1 magazine of ammo without malfunction---a failure to fire condition. I boxed it up and sent it back on SW's dime with a list of items I wanted fixed. They fixed the failure to fire problem and filed the breech face(finished the machine work) to make the brass reloadable after firing. It had a step on the breech face that hadn't been machined enough and was crushing the rim of the case on firing. The gun now works but I have a hard time believing that it was ever test fired before being sent out of the factory. Pretty sad for a $1300 MSRP gun. I do like the trigger, the slim grip frame, adjustable sights, and it is accurate.

I've got a G21 that I bought about 17 years ago that I've put several thousand rounds of factory ammo and my reloads through it with only 1 malfunction. It even likes truncated cone West Coast bullets. I'd trust my life on the Glock working. The 1911 not. I'll keep it for punching holes in paper.

Originally Posted by 2Seventy

Trade it for Glock.

laugh

LOL,
After many many years of not owning one and listening to all the hype about how great 1911s were I finally bought one about 2 years ago. I did some research and based on the opinions of some respected people I know who own them I bought a SW1911 Doug Koenig version. A nice looking gun but out of the box wouldn't feed even 1 magazine of ammo without malfunction---a failure to fire condition. I boxed it up and sent it back on SW's dime with a list of items I wanted fixed. They fixed the failure to fire problem and filed the breech face(finished the machine work) to make the brass reloadable after firing. It had a step on the breech face that hadn't been machined enough and was crushing the rim of the case on firing. The gun now works but I have a hard time believing that it was ever test fired before being sent out of the factory. Pretty sad for a $1300 MSRP gun. I do like the trigger, the slim grip frame, adjustable sights, and it is accurate.

I've got a G21 that I bought about 17 years ago that I've put several thousand rounds of factory ammo and my reloads through it with only 1 malfunction. It even likes truncated cone West Coast bullets. I'd trust my life on the Glock working. The 1911 not. I'll keep it for punching holes in paper.

Very interesting, personally, I do not like S&W semi-auto pistols, never have. They historically have feeding and jamming issues among several other problems. They need to stick to what they do best which is revolvers wink I have an original colt model 1911 from WWI and I have maybe had it jam on me one time. I have also shot a Kimber, Para-ordinace, colt 1911A1 from WWII.....all of them I have been impressed with and would trust in a gun fight. However, I love my glock, have never had a single issue with it, and would know without a doubt that it would save my life. If it came down to the wire, I would always pick my glock, mainly due to magazine size and weight issues if carrying concealed. If I were you, I'd sell that Smith and get a Kimber.....you'll love it and it'll work 10x better smile
Originally Posted by 2Seventy
[quote=Boococky][quote=ColsPaul]

If I were you, I'd sell that Smith and get a Kimber.....you'll love it and it'll work 10x better smile

It's interesting because a Kimber was on my short list when I started looking for a 1911. What steered me away was the horror stories about their guns that didn't want to run and poor customer repair service. I kind of wished I would have purchased my 2nd choice which was a Springfield Armory. S&W did repair the gun and it seems to work OK now but having shot it I find I really don't care much for the 1911 platform. I much prefer a DA stricker fired gun for defense and Glock, XD, or maybe an M&P in the future. I just picked up a XDm 45 Compact and am looking forward to shooting it. I think this 1911 will be my last and probably go away one of these days. I know they're wildly popular and you can't pick up a gun magazine without one on the cover but having owned one I just don't understand the fasination with these guns? Ah, give me an N frame blue steel and walnut S&W---now there is a gun!

Very interesting, personally, I do not like S&W semi-auto pistols, never have. They historically have feeding and jamming issues among several other problems.

That's pure boo-cocky, pun intended..........

I've had 3 S&W 1911's (still have 1 that is my main carry piece) & they have all been rock solid perfect, course a little TLC never hurts as does the right mags; that that fact seems to elude some, never fails to amaze.

Also have had 2 Kimbers (still have one) & given the same TLC as the S&W, both were/are perfect as well.

Also have 2 Colts which also are perfect, but no better or worse than any of the others.

Have worked on countless others.

1911's are what you make of them (unless there is a genuine defect as 2seventy apparently had), but most don't seem to know or understand how to care for & feed them, thus they are left to deal with Glocks........& I've nothing against Glocks as I have 2, but there's always the possibility of the KABOOM lurking & since they are both 40's they'll both need new barrels before I'll feel comfortable reloading for them.

YMMV

MM

Trade it for Glock.

Now that is over the top Funny!!!!!!

Swifty
© 24hourcampfire