Home
Posted By: JTPinTX Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
I bought a new Glock 19 last week, it is a Gen 3. With the slide locked back I can load a full magazine and if I slap it in decently hard the slide will come forward and chamber a round without me touching the slide release or racking the slide. I have never heard of a Glock doing this, but admittedly I am new to the Glock platform. What say you guys? Something that needs to be fixed, or normal?
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12

I never tried the 'slap' test before ... but I don't think your Glock should do that.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
The slide lock actuates off the magazine follower. If you seat the magazine hard enough, many pistol designs will do the same thing.
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
I just went over to my Bosses office and asked check out his Glock 23 that he carries concealed, and it will do it too. I have to snap it a little harder than mine, but it will do it. Sounds like it is relatively normal then.
Posted By: safariman Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
Interesting.... not neccesarily a BAd thing so long as one knows it is going to happen, I guess.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
Just a suggestion:

I wouldn't make a habit of "mag-slamming" to drop the slide on a loaded magazine. It's not uncommon for the top round in the magazine to come loose and orient itself improperly towards the chamber - thereby causing a shooter induced malfunction. When this occurs the stoppage often resembles a stove-pipe with a loaded round.
Posted By: JOG Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
Hold the slide release up when you slap the magazine. If the slide holds, either the 'nub' that contacts the follower is too big or the spring is too weak (or bent).
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
Thanks for the advice guys, I will take note.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
M&Ps do this also, so S&W decided to take credit for this as a design feature.........at least according to the rep who taught our armorer's class. It does shave a little time off of a slide-lock reload, so I guess no harm, no foul.
Posted By: lawnman Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
My HK usp compct does this. It make it "Tacticool!!" when the young guys at the range are watching. LOL!
Posted By: T LEE Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
Heck even my "frankengun" Commander will do that if really positive force is used in seating the fresh mag. Both my Glocks will do it and the 19 don't have drop free magazines, it is a 2 pin gun.
Posted By: XL5 Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/22/12
One-hand loading a Glock:

All Glocks will do that if you slam a magazine in hard. I have seen it taught as a quick reloading tecnique but do not like it. The potential problems with doing it are:

1. It is possible, but quite unlikely, that the top round will either misfeed or that the slide will close before the magazine is fully inserted and the top round will not be fed.

2. Most shooters I have observed will instinctively rack the slide after it closes and will eject a round from the chamber, especially if they have been trained to "slingshot" the slide rather than use the slide stop.

3. If the magazine is only partially loaded, it is possible to displace the top round in the magazine when the follower spring is compressed by the inertia of the "slam", allowing some momentary slack between the rounds and the magazine lips. I have only seen this a couple of times, but the top round had reversed and was pointing the wrong way in one instance and in the other there was a problem that had been resolved by another instructor before I saw what exactly happened. The fewer rounds there are in the magazine, the more likely this is to happen.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
Yes, you forcefully slapping the mag releases the slide release causing the slide to come forward.
Posted By: deflave Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
The only auto I have used that won't do that is my Delta. And I find my Delta annoying for that reason.

Travis
It's part of a technique, actually. 45 degree palm heel.

It doesn't work on all guns and isn't 100% reliable, anyway, so I prefer to train to powerstroke.
Posted By: kend Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
My H&K P30 works like that.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
I wish my Glock 30SF did that. With the dinky slide release lever it's easier for me to pull the slide back and let it go than to try to trip the slide release. It wastes a lot of time.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I wish my Glock 30SF did that. With the dinky slide release lever it's easier for me to pull the slide back and let it go than to try to trip the slide release. It wastes a lot of time.

Do you compete, or are you just using it defensively?

Because if it's the latter, a powerstroke is a superior technique to using a slide release -- and also is good because it's a similar movement to your administrative load and a FTF/failure to go into battery malfunction clearance. But yeah, it gives you the most momentum and requires less fine motor skill, which is a good thing.
A power stroke or "slingshot" to release the slide does not take any more time when reloading than using the slide stop does, since your support hand is already right there after the magazine change. It is a surer method when under stress because of the gross motor skill vs. fine motor skill dynamic.
Posted By: dla Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
I bought a new Glock 19 last week, it is a Gen 3. With the slide locked back I can load a full magazine and if I slap it in decently hard the slide will come forward and chamber a round without me touching the slide release or racking the slide. I have never heard of a Glock doing this, but admittedly I am new to the Glock platform. What say you guys? Something that needs to be fixed, or normal?

Normal. A very nice feature.
Posted By: JOG Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
It would drive me nuts and I would fix it. I don't want my pistol doing anything I don't tell it to. I'm not interested in maybe-maybe not-auto-slide-release.
Posted By: JOG Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
A power stroke or "slingshot" to release the slide does not take any more time when reloading than using the slide stop does, since your support hand is already right there after the magazine change.

BS.

It is a surer method when under stress because of the gross motor skill vs. fine motor skill dynamic.

No different than hitting the safety on a rifle, shotgun, or handgun, or releasing a magazine.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
Originally Posted by JOG
A power stroke or "slingshot" to release the slide does not take any more time when reloading than using the slide stop does, since your support hand is already right there after the magazine change.

BS.

It is a surer method when under stress because of the gross motor skill vs. fine motor skill dynamic.

No different than hitting the safety on a rifle, shotgun, or handgun, or releasing a magazine.

Agreed, and will add that finessing the trigger correctly is most definitely a fine motor skill. If you can't operate the slide release under stress, I'm guessing your trigger "press" isn't going to amount to much either. Dumbing down the curriculum rather than training up the student has never made sense to me, but I know it's commonplace.
Posted By: Hound_va Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
A good article on the fine vs gross motor skill topic as it relates to operating a pistol:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/160
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
Good link. TG nails it.
Posted By: keith Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/23/12
I will have to Slap my mag and see what happens
I disagree with the link. The Glock slide release is small and easy to miss when under stress. The slingshot method is surer and faster for the average shooter. Experts do fine either way.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/24/12
The original question had to do with Glock pistols and in that regard, Gaston Glock designed the feature to be a "slide stop" in the purest sense. In stock form, it's very difficult to manipulate as a means of lowering the slide. The Vickers Tactical option addresses this perceived deficiency pretty well, I think. If you have trouble with the stock slide stop, this is an easy fix.

As to which method is best to lower the slide; depressing the slide stop or manually unlocking the slide, well it sorta depends. Many folks have a hard time reaching the slide stop/release unless the part has been extended to modified, so manually lower the slide is their only option. But the truth is, the only time the fraction of a second advantage one method has over the other is in some purely sporting application or in the mind of the pseudo-commando.

There ain't never been a gunfight won or lost by using one method over the other.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/24/12
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Just a suggestion:

I wouldn't make a habit of "mag-slamming" to drop the slide on a loaded magazine. It's not uncommon for the top round in the magazine to come loose and orient itself improperly towards the chamber - thereby causing a shooter induced malfunction. When this occurs the stoppage often resembles a stove-pipe with a loaded round.

You're exactly correct. I've seen it happen also. People who watch too many cops-'n-robbers teeeveee shows and movies think that because the "hero" does it and proceeds to smoke all the bad guys poste haste, it is the "now" thing to do. laugh

Big mistake.

Just firmly seating the magazine is all that is necessary.

L.W.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

I was running the June Campfire drill. The combination of ripping the magazine out and pulling the slide back to release it was a bit too much. I have never had trouble tripping the lever on any other semi-auto, including the Sig P238 .380 I used for the same drill with substantially better results.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/25/12
My G 34 will do it.
My G 20 will not.
I was suprised when the 9mm did it the first time.
Now I like it and use it well.
Posted By: mike762 Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by JTPinTX

It happens all the time in most semi autos if the force used to insert the magazine is large enough. It's happened to me in both Glocks and H&K's during competition and requal.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/25/12
It's fairly normal. Nothing to be worried about, IMO.
Another thing to consider is that there are pistols without slide stops, ones in very different locations, ones with varying degrees of pressure needed to depress them...

Whereas a powerstroke will work on very nearly every pistol ever made.
The magazine slam is fun as a range stunt, but a poor technique to consider for survival trsining. A serious shooter should practice both the power stroke/slingshot method (for use as a primary technique) and the use of the slide stop as an alternate for situations where the weapon must be used one-handed.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/27/12

2. Most shooters I have observed will instinctively rack the slide after it closes and will eject a round from the chamber, especially if they have been trained to "slingshot" the slide rather than use the slide stop.

That's why it's called the slide stop, or slide lock-back lever, and not the reload button. Grab the slide over the top, or slingshot it to load/re-load, either way is correct. The slide-stop lever is just for that - stopping the slide in the rearward position.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/27/12
Originally Posted by 222Rem
...Dumbing down the curriculum rather than training up the student has never made sense to me, but I know it's commonplace.

Agreed! But the EEOC (Eventual Eradication Of Caucasians) has forced that very practice on Law Enforcement Agencies across the Nation.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

I was running the June Campfire drill. The combination of ripping the magazine out and pulling the slide back to release it was a bit too much. I have never had trouble tripping the lever on any other semi-auto, including the Sig P238 .380 I used for the same drill with substantially better results.

It sounds like you need some drop free mags, brother.
The magazine slam is fun as a range stunt, but a poor technique to consider for survival trsining. A serious shooter should practice both the power stroke/slingshot method (for use as a primary technique) and the use of the slide stop as an alternate for situations where the weapon must be used one-handed.

Personally, though I understand how the stop works on my current sidearm, I train to rack it off of the rear sight by hooking it on my belt. If I ever end up with a gun with Novak sights, I can push the front into the back of my boot. I prefer to train this way because it'll work for very nearly any pistol I might pick up.

On my 1911, also, I have grip tape along the top of the slide. If I can't get it to work on my belt for some reason, it'll grip my pantleg.

JOG
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: Should a Glock do this? - 06/27/12
Thanks for all the insight guys, this thread has been very informative. I don't plan to train that way, but good to know it can happen and why, and to know the pitfalls of it. Mainly just wanted to make sure there wasn't some safety related issue with my weapon.
© 24hourcampfire