Home
Posted By: Savuti Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
My son turned 21 over the summer and decided to get his ccw here in FL.
Unbeknowst to me, the state has opened 8 regional offices that accept applicatiions to facilitate the process.

Step 1. call for an appointment
2. show up with check and proof of training
3. fill out application on their computer, they take photo and fingerprints electronically

Done.

He went to the nearest office last Monday 9/9. His ccw arrived in Saturday's mail 9/14. Wow!

Posted By: viking Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
That's like the express lane......
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by Savuti
Unbeknowst to me, the state has opened 8 regional offices that accept applicatiions to facilitate the process.

3. fill out application on their computer, they take photo and fingerprints electronically

Done.

He went to the nearest office last Monday 9/9. His ccw arrived in Saturday's mail 9/13. Wow!

That is impressive, isn't it. I'm glad to be a Floridian, too.

My folks are moving down here from New York in a couple of months. My mom has had a New York State concealed carry license for many years, and her first request from me was to figure out for her what she needs in order to get her Florida concealed carry license. I don't believe she will need to take the course, since proof of an out of state concealed carry license was all the proof I needed when I got my Florida concealed carry license about ten years ago. I had had my New York CC license since 1980. I just had to show them a photocopy, and the Florida training requirement was thereby satisfied.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13

Done.

He went to the nearest office last Monday 9/9. His ccw arrived in Saturday's mail 9/14. Wow!

Now you're cooking with gas. That's how it ought to be.
Posted By: velcro Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
KInda like they do it in New York
Posted By: Sako Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
"show up with Check and Proof of Training"

Proof of Training.... Oh please...
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
I realize that, to most, that seems easy but damn that's a lot of steps.

I much prefer:
Step 1: drop off application printed at home/picked up.
Step 2: call in about a week and pick up.

No steps would be better, though.........

George
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13

No one should have to get a concelled carry permit, all states should be constitutional carry states (no permit required). All we should be, is to legally own the weapon.
Posted By: lastround Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by jwp475

No one should have to get a concelled carry permit, all states should be constitutional carry states (no permit required). All we should be, is to legally own the weapon.

I have to agree with this even though I have a concealed carry permit.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
Well, y�all are welcome here! We have carry without a permit. The only thing that makes it something other than �Constitutional carry� is the fact that you have to meet all the requirements for getting a permit other than the training requirement. Because one of those requirements is being a resident of the state for six months, it won�t apply to the non-resident passing through on the way to Yellowstone.

If you want a permit, and meet the criteria, the training requirement can be met by showing, among other things, �experience with a firearm through participation in an organized handgun shooting competition or military service.� So, it doesn�t require a big outlay of money or time to take a course. (The 6th month residency requirement is waived if you have a current permit from a state entitled to Wyoming reciprocity.)

There are currently 5 states if memory serves. This is 45 too few IMHO
Posted By: aalf Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
Surpisingly, in Wi, you just have to have passed a hunter safety course, which has been a requirement since 1-1-73 anyway.

You do have to apply though, and wait for it to be mailed back. It took about 6 weeks in the initial onslaught of CCW apps, but I assume they're much quicker now.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by Sako

Yeah...here all you do is walk into a Sheriff's office with $20...they take a little info and a picture and print your license out on the spot. Maybe 15 minutes total. In a year, you mail a check to them for $20 and they mail you your new license. Every couple of years you jut go in and update your photo and there is nothing to it.

Agreed...Alabama is an open carry state with no license required...but I don't personally want the attention that can attract.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
A free hunter safety course is adequate to meet the training requirement here in FL.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/18/13
When I first got mine, it was taking a good three months.
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

Yeah...here all you do is walk into a Sheriff's office with $20...they take a little info and a picture and print your license out on the spot. Maybe 15 minutes total. In a year, you mail a check to them for $20 and they mail you your new license. Every couple of years you jut go in and update your photo and there is nothing to it.

Agreed...Alabama is an open carry state with no license required...but I don't personally want the attention that can attract.

I am not referring to open carry. Concelled Cary should not require a permit as long as one can leagaly own the weapon.

Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/19/13

+1 And if you're not incarcerated at the moment, you have a right to carry any way you choose.
A free hunter safety course is adequate to meet the training requirement here in FL.
Still have my old hunter safety certification card from New York. It's laminated.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/19/13
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

+1 And if you're not incarcerated at the moment, you have a right to carry any way you choose.

I maybe could agree with that sentiment if they would execute those felons whom need executed and keep the rest of them locked up for life.

There's a lot of ex-cons on the street right now, who very well should be prohibited from owning or carrying firearms for life.
Posted By: safariman Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/19/13
My son just took a job in Miami to 'clean up' a poorly run office for Blackstone Investments co. there. I am going to send him a link to this thread. He could not get a carry permit in Sacramento Calif. where he was from.

I hope that he AND his wife will both get permits and start to carry regularly.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/19/13

Yes.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/19/13
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

I am not referring to open carry. Concelled Cary should not require a permit as long as one can leagaly own the weapon.

I knew you weren't referring to OC. And I agree that you should be able to CC without a license. I was just elaborating a little that we don't require a license to OC...wish it was the same for CC. I probably didn't word my sentiments well. grin
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/19/13
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I maybe could agree with that sentiment if they would execute those felons whom need executed and keep the rest of them locked up for life.

There's a lot of ex-cons on the street right now, who very well should be prohibited from owning or carrying firearms for life.

Anyone with a felony on their record can not leagaly posses a firearm, so that is not in the equation

Anyone with a felony on their record can not leagaly posses a firearm, so that is not in the equation

And this is a problem. The only circumstance where the state should be able to deprive you of certain of your fundamental human rights is during the period of incarceration you were sentenced to after a fair trial. After you've "paid your debt to society," all your basic human rights need once again to be recognized by the state. If the justice system believes one should never again be trusted with the right to keep and bear arms, that's the same as saying one should never again be trusted with freedom, since the two go hand in hand. That should require a life sentence or execution.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/19/13

+1...........
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/19/13

Done.

Laffin!

In AL you apply online, mail in a check and they send you a card in the mail. Two day turn-around, and I didn't have to put on pants or let go of my dick.
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: Glad I Live in FL - 09/19/13
Not to mention, permit at 21?

Ballers get one at 18 grin
© 24hourcampfire