Home
Took the new SR.22 to the range today.
I was very pleasantly surprised at the accuracy level it showed.

I had only two different loads to evaluate.
Rem Golden Bullet HP and Win 333 Hp.

The SR didn't much care for the Win 333. I had several FF/FE and actually had to resort to a cleaning rod on 3 occasions to remove an empty from the chamber.

It did however run perfectly with the Rem GB's.
No failures of any kind and there was an obvious positive difference in the recoil and slide movement.

Groups weren't match level..... but then my eyes are 62 years young and I wasn't looking for it to compare to my optics bearing Buckmark.
That said, it grouped very well and was a cinch to sight it.

It's going to become a favorite trail piece and ground squirrel getter, for sure.

The holster is a Crossfire, "Rocket" pancake style that I purchased at Fred Meyer ( really!! ) on sale for $20 ( really, again!! ).
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Seriously considering one of these little buggers, and with a threaded barrel.
There was one available and I really did consider it. But the Stamp and can would cost me about $500, and I just couldn't justify them.

I have a S&W 63 4" and a Greenlite Target Buckmark as well as the SR.22. I can see the SR getting most of the trail time.
I was told by the dealer they need high velocity ammo to function best, and maybe even a few Stingers to help with break in.

YMMV, obviously.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I was told by the dealer they need high velocity ammo to function best, and maybe even a few Stingers to help with break in.

YMMV, obviously.

Sounds like something a spring change or modification could fix for running standard velocity or subsonics.

YMMV, obviously.

Mine feeds everything, even the cheap ass Rem Golden bullets, but the only time mine has jammed, it's been with the Remington.
I normally shoot Stingers & Hyper Velocity Aquilla in mine, and it's pretty accurate with both loads, and uber reliable.
The only thing I hate about the SR22 is the reverse safety switch, which is just opposite of the 1911 safety. What in the hell were Ruger engineers thinking on that deal ???
Posted By: eh76 Re: New Ruger SR.22 at the range. - 03/22/15
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
There was one available and I really did consider it. But the Stamp and can would cost me about $500, and I just couldn't justify them.

I have a S&W 63 4" and a Greenlite Target Buckmark as well as the SR.22. I can see the SR getting most of the trail time.

How many lives you going to have? I couldn't either so I bought 2 to make it worth the experience,
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

YMMV, obviously.

Mine feeds everything, even the cheap ass Rem Golden bullets, but the only time mine has jammed, it's been with the Remington.
I normally shoot Stingers & Hyper Velocity Aquilla in mine, and it's pretty accurate with both loads, and uber reliable.
The only thing I hate about the SR22 is the reverse safety switch, which is just opposite of the 1911 safety. What in the hell were Ruger engineers thinking on that deal ???

Got a college buddy whos an engineer there Ill ask.
It's a decocking/safety, not much different than say a Beretta 92
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's a decocking/safety, not much different than say a Beretta 92

Yeppers.

I'll most likely carry hammer down/safety off - like a revolver.
If I wanna shoot in a hurry, then DA. If not, SA carries the day.
I can't imagine ever needing to be in a hurry with it....

The Buckmark safety runs the other way, like a 1911.

It's a plinker/trail gun and I'll treat it as such.

Anyway, a fun gun. If your looking for decent .22 auto for trail or kit it's worth a look.
Yep,

My Ruger SR22 is my all time favorite 22 auto.

Mine gets a steady diet of CCI Stingers.

Virgil B.
Bought an SR22 when they first came out.
The only ammo that gave problems was Federal.
Run Winchester, CCI, Rem. with no issues
What pistol does not like CCI?
Great pistol!
I need to buy one of these for my darling daughter..
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I need to buy one of these for my darling daughter..

I'm afraid to let my daughter use mine..... she would try to run off with it!

I banked some more Remington ammo - so play time at the range in short order smile

I need to find the right holster for one. Right now I carry it Mexican, or in a pocket.
I let my daughter shoot mine, and she went out and bought one of her own, only hers has a purple frame. Easy to tell 'em apart this way!

She calls hers "the purple people eater" (GRIN!)

I pack mine in a Galco IWB Holster made for a Kahr P9

Virgil B.
I have this one for mine. It fits perfectly. My father in law bought it for the SR22 that I ended up buying from him. Its a pretty nice piece of leather.

http://shopruger.com/SR22-Mitch-Rosen-Belt-Holster-RH/productinfo/50196/
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I need to find the right holster for one. Right now I carry it Mexican, or in a pocket.

Steelie, I don't know your carry preference, but here's a holster that seems highly regarded and it's reasonable.

http://shopruger.com/SR22-Fobus-Paddle-Holster-RH/productinfo/50414/

There's the Crossfire Rocket 3D pancake that I use.
It's comfortable while riding a quad and I wore it bank fishing for steelhead on the Rogue today.

Another ( leather ) that looks good is the Triple K 420-73.
Not sure of the makers company name.
Get me to wear a belt as akin to getting me to wear underwear...
I have an SR-22 and it's a fun range gun and I suppose it would be a decent wood-walking gun, but mine isn't as 100% reliable as I'd like it to be for a defensive weapon. I'm running quality ammo through it, but there are occasional - albeit rare - stoppages that leave me a tad unsettled about making it a defensive weapon.

Also, I can't get over the fact that it shoots 3 inch groups at distances where my Ruger Bull Barrel shoots into less than an inch.
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain
Also, I can't get over the fact that it shoots 3 inch groups at distances where my Ruger Bull Barrel shoots into less than an inch.

Dan, what sights are you running on the Bull Barrel rig?

My Buckmark is incredibly accurate ( and reliable with the proper ammunition ) but it wears a reflex optic that allows for much more precise aim. It also has a much lighter trigger.

Off the bench with bags and good light, I can shoot pretty reasonable groups with the SR. Good enough that I'm going to leave well enough alone.

It's just a trail gun to me. It can be used as a defensive piece if I had to. Eleven rounds of LR Hollow Points will deter a lot of things..... Most times, like river or creek fishing, I carry a centerfire for that.
Blacktail, when I'm shooting for groups, I scope it with a 1.5 Leopold pistol scope. When I'm squirrel chasing in the fall, I compact red dot works best for me.

The SR is a light, handy little gun. I've been told most of the malfunctions occur with the loading of the magazine. I have a tendency to pull down on the finger tab so that I can slip a bunch of rounds in one at a time with no resistance. A feller told me to only pull down far enough to slip one round in, and repeat. He said that keeps the rims lined up so the top round's rim is always in front.

I haven't had a chance to try that. So I will next time out. I get at least one malfunction every 50 rounds or so. Still, I don't consider it squirrel head accurate with open sights beyond 10 yards for me. Other's may vary.

I'll never understand scopes on handguns.
I'll never understand scopes on handguns.

Only time I ever put a scope on a handgun was years ago, I had a Python .357 (wish I still had that gun) I wanted to call and kill a fox with it. After missing several times I put a scope on the gun. I called a fox into range and dropped him with a head on shot. With a solid rest the gun shot like a rifle. I'd use a red or green dot nowadays.
I've found rifles shoot like rifles even better. The reason to carry a handgun because it's easily portable, I don't consider a 5 pound handgun easily portable. Might as well carry a rifle, which is always a better way to roll.
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain
Blacktail,
The SR is a light, handy little gun. I've been told most of the malfunctions occur with the loading of the magazine. I have a tendency to pull down on the finger tab so that I can slip a bunch of rounds in one at a time with no resistance. A feller told me to only pull down far enough to slip one round in, and repeat. He said that keeps the rims lined up so the top round's rim is always in front.

I have to agree with that.

During my maiden voyage with the SR at the range, I found that if I didn't pay attention to how the top round lay in the magazine ( I had a tendency to allow it to be pushed down slightly and forward ) that it wouldn't feed.

I do as your friend suggested and don't get crazy with the magazine tab.

Scopes: and Steelie,

I don't care for a conventional scope on a handgun - but a red/green dot reflex sight that allows for quick target acquisition with both eyes open is a real good tool.

Holsters then become a problem as is conceal-ability.
Handguns are supposed to be ( in my mind ) easy to carry, lite and convenient to use. Optics take away from that for me, so the SR will see trail duty that the Buckmark won't....

© 24hourcampfire