Home
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Wow, what a girl. - 11/08/15
I have wanted a 657 mountain gun in 41 in the worst way since I saw Bob's a couple years ago.

Well, a fine gentleman on this forum who shall remain nameless unless he volunteers that information, contacted me with a MG for sale.

Before I got the funds put together, Momma who usually avoids anything to do with my firearms went behind my back and purchased the gun.

I only found out after I had also mailed a USPS money order and Momma had to tell me that we had an issue to take care of.

I am in deep schitt for ruining Christmas!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/08/15
Better to ask forgiveness...
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/08/15
Hang on to her - you got a good one.....and be extra nice to the wife too!! laugh
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/08/15
well you might be in a little trouble, but in a nice way.
you will like the gun i think.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/08/15
Yes, I am sure that I will.

Posted By: RJM Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/09/15
Mountain Guns are the best S&W ever made...problem was YOU WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO PUT THE MONEY TOGETHER FOR ANOTHER MONTH...

So your Christmas is coming a little early and Mama is owed a COUPLE nice nights out...

Bob
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/09/15
Problem is, Momma is a home body, Her idea of a night out is a pizza and a DVD from the rental box. Nor does she like jewelry.

She's a hell of a cook as well. I think I got quite a prize with her, and I tell her so quite often.
Posted By: viking Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/09/15
She's young she will get over it. Experience here.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/09/15
sure wish I had not sold my .41 MG. Kept the .44 mag. Won't be selling that one.
Posted By: RJM Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/09/15
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Problem is, Momma is a home body, Her idea of a night out is a pizza and a DVD from the rental box. Nor does she like jewelry.

She's a hell of a cook as well. I think I got quite a prize with her, and I tell her so quite often.

..you forget...I had her pie last trip and what did she bake us when we went up to The Deadwood...to kill for...

Bob
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/09/15

She's a keeper!!!
Originally Posted by viking
She's young she will get over it. Experience here.

Not that young! We are coming right up on the big 60.
35 years together, and ten grandkids.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/09/15
Always good to hear good news regarding someone's woman. Sounds like you've done well, as she has.

I don't know her, but for many, flowers are due about now. You did pick some up on the last trip to town?

Geno

PS And a pizza and movie wink
Well, there's the thing. She is alreadt growling at me for ruining Christmas. She would really be pissed if she caught me wasting money on flowers that would just end up dead and thrown out in a week or so.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/17/15
Okay, we are back.........with pics. And it is definitely a keeper. Model 657-4 Mountain Gun. And my extreme appreciation to Bob for letting me,,,er, uhm, I mean Momma buy it.

Momma and the kids could not hang onto it till Christmas. They brought it out last night.

I managed to run a couple dozen rounds through it in the dark. I did not learn much about where it shoots. But I sure do like the way it feels in my hand with a 210 gr Berry's over 12 gr Bluedot.

I liked it even better after I put my Altamont grips on it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkinak Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/17/15
WOW!! Nice
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/17/15
Dang......I should have zoomed out a bit and stepped back.

There's a bit of fish eye going on there.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/17/15
Dang......I should have zoomed out a bit and stepped back.

There's a bit of fish eye going on there.

Naah...that's the awesomeness of the gun coming through in the pic.
Posted By: RJM Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/18/15
Glad you like the gun...it has one of the best DA pulls I have ever felt on a S&W... And those grips make that gun really special...

12.0 grains of Blue Dot with a 210 should be just over 1000 fps from a 4" barrel...

Bob
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/18/15
I had guessed about 1000. I have not clocked them from a four inch. They were a bit faster than that from the 7.5 in SBH.
Posted By: Strider Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/19/15
Wow that is sweet.

I always wanted a mountain gun, it didn't even occur to me they made them in .41.

What a great combination.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/21/15
i am waiting for rjm to bring it up or mention to you all the other kinds of .41magnum one can get envolved in. To help the addiction along a little.
I have a couple sets of hi end grips for them, taken off for rubber, just cause rubber sticks better in my hand and i didn't want to scratch up the good stuff.
The mountain gun i found(via rjm pointing it out) from a pawn shop here in phx, had a set of hi end grips made by some guy now deceased in oregon. I should put them back on mine and take a picture.
You do need a .41magnum saddle gun too.
I didn't think that gun would stay hidden until christmas. good for you.
as to the flowers, my wife is not a flower type person. Usually when i infrequently bought her some, the question back is what did you do, you might as well tell me rather than trying to buy me off.
I conned her(convinced) her to shoot a qual for purchase of a garand years ago, back when you could only have one. The box arrived, and i said wow, great day for me to get another garand.
her comment was what do you mean, you, white man, i shot for it, it's mine. Minor techical point.
a springfield pre WWII rebarreled in 43 with history.
I have it hidden.
Posted By: RJM Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/21/15
...I love your wife...and hope she continues to kick your butt...as you often deserve it.
Posted By: BenMichel Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/21/15
Why not some of those flowers hand made! They will last a long time.
Originally Posted by RJM
...I love your wife...and hope she continues to kick your butt...as you often deserve it.

I think everything loves anna. We have been feeding three feral cats they are now coming u p to her in the back yard. As to the goats, it is that time of year for them to well reproduce. Male goats do a lot of tongue wagging as part of the process. Ours our banded but don't realize what that means. The more dominent one has lately been following the wife around getting continually under foot, then looking up at her wagging his tongue. I am sure he realizes on some level she is female, as he doesn't do that with me. I keep telling him we are not muslim, we do not live in california, it ain't gonna work, but he does not pay any attention.
It's funny watching her work in the back yard, cats on the walls, dogs and goats following her around. The friggin pigeons come in too.
By the way, she has now made 17 different varieties of cookies and candy for giveaway for christmas. She keeps them in a locked standup freezer. good idea, no midnight raids.
she likes .41magnums too by the way.
"I am sure he realizes on some level she is female, as he doesn't do that with me."

He is not stupid....a) She is better lookin' b) he knows you would turn him into cabrita al carbon....
Originally Posted by Strider
Wow that is sweet.

I always wanted a mountain gun, it didn't even occur to me they made them in .41.

What a great combination.

...here ya go...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=523168785
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Wow, what a girl. - 11/21/15
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i am waiting for rjm to bring it up or mention to you all the other kinds of .41magnum one can get envolved in. To help the addiction along a little.
I have a couple sets of hi end grips for them, taken off for rubber, just cause rubber sticks better in my hand and i didn't want to scratch up the good stuff.
The mountain gun i found(via rjm pointing it out) from a pawn shop here in phx, had a set of hi end grips made by some guy now deceased in oregon. I should put them back on mine and take a picture.
You do need a .41magnum saddle gun too.
I didn't think that gun would stay hidden until christmas. good for you.

Bob, and P Weed, and 41 Kieth, and few others here guided me into my first handgun about ten years ago, the SBH hunter in 41. I was wishing for a cabine to go with the revolver. Then I stumbled upon a Marlin 1894 FG in 41 at Sportsmans Warehouse.

So I got the saddle gun covered.

I met Bob in person a couple summers ago and he explained the importance of learning to shoot a DA. So I started asking at every LGS I visited. I eventually found a six inch 657. Then Bob told me about a Ti Tracker in 41 for sale, and I met Carabou Jack and purchased that.

And now Bob has sold me the MG. So Bob is pretty much responsible for 80% of my collection.

I have to take sole responsibility for the 327's.

The Altamont grips are, as far as I have been able to determine, a S&W factory option. I found a 629 with a set in a gunshop, and the dealer helped me track down the source.

They are actually pretty inexpensive, and available in several varieties of wood.
© 24hourcampfire