Home
Posted By: 4ager IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
Okay, I've tried some of the best (Milt Sparks), but have never found an IWB that was actually tuckable with a dress shirt that didn't look like I was trying to conceal a brick or had no idea how to blouse a shirt. At 6'1", 185-200 (depending upon how out of shape I am, but really pretty slim), I just can't make a tuckable work.

Am I doing something completely wrong? Does it really require specially tailored shirts? Or, is it just a myth and simply wear a jacket to CCW?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
Light sport coat Buddy, I have found no other way.
Posted By: 4ager Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
Yeah, that's the only answer I've found to date as well. Seeing if someone else has this figured out better than I have.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
Only way I can do it is with my shirttail out. I bought one of the Galco King Tuck models for my Glock 32, andIf I tuck my shirt in, it just looks like I'm trying to conceal a brick.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by 4ager

Am I doing something completely wrong? Does it really require specially tailored shirts? Or, is it just a myth and simply wear a jacket to CCW?

No, you're not doing anything wrong; a tuckable IWB is a misnomer & is physically impossible in the true sense of being tuckable.

The best that can be done is to blouse the shirt over it & that's not really tucked.

MM
Here is your answer.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
For carrying a real gun, I think it's a myth. For tucked shirts, I go pocket carry or cover garment.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
4ager, you already know this but I am going to throw this out there anyway. Its hard to beat a pocket carry pistol for concealment and ease of gun transfer no matter how you dress. Try a Glock 43 in a DeSantis Nemesis if you haven't already. A +1 magazine and an extra magazine will cover a lot of bases.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
I consider a Glock 43 to be a real gun, albeit on the minimal side, and I carry it in a pocket in a DeSantis Super Fly when proper decorum suggests the appropriateness of a tucked shirt and no cover garment. I don't +1 the magazine for the gun, but I do on the spares.
Posted By: MojoHand Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
Whole lot of dress shirts out there nowadays are designed to be worn untucked. If dressed properly with a proper fitting shirt, one does not look 'sloppy' at all.

Think the only people I see tucking are old dudes and golfers (business attire aside)...
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Whole lot of dress shirts out there nowadays are designed to be worn untucked. If dressed properly with a proper fitting shirt, one does not look 'sloppy' at all.

Think the only people I see tucking are old dudes and golfers (business attire aside)...

There are times, a lot of them, where tucked in the way to go for business.
Posted By: viking Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That gay.
Originally Posted by viking

That gay.

Chriss never has "the answer".
Posted By: JMR40 Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
Glock 43 with clipdraw. Not perfect, but not bad either. For the record, I won't carry THIS gun THIS way with a round chambered. But I've not found anything else with this much power this concealable. It is a little slower to get into action, but a lot faster than going back to the car to get the gun I didn't carry.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunGeek Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
While I'm not a real fan of wearing tucked, I've never had the slightest problem with it when I did. And I have found a dress shirt that blouses subtly over the belt line works perfectly...for me.

Dress shirts tend to be tightly tailored or pretty big in the body. Look at people in an office and that's what you'll typically see...too snug around the body or too loose...and you see this on 99% of the guys. So if you just go on the loose side, you'll fit right in and no one will ever know.

But...I still think tucked sucks. It's one tool in the chest for when you need it.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/11/16
If it helps any, I had to downsize to .380 (sig 238) in a small-maker 'executive iwb' hoslter having just one j-clip, to be convinced my iwb was un-noticeable. This was in an office setting where get up-down umpteen times in a day, sitting on stools and reaching here and there, which tends to challenge keeping a shirt tucked as well as not printing. Anything larger than my little P238 I was conscious of printing. Some claim to make a full-sized pistol disappear and maybe they're right, but IMO physics is physics - a smaller pistol hides easier. And yeah a .380 of 6 round cap is a compromise, but at bad breath distances, Cor-Bon DPX's, I'd take it over nothing anytime.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/12/16
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by 4ager

No, you're not doing anything wrong; a tuckable IWB is a misnomer & is physically impossible in the true sense of being tuckable.

The best that can be done is to blouse the shirt over it & that's not really tucked.

MM

Oh, you can tuck it. And it won't look like a brick. It will look like you have your shirt tucked around a gun - at least, to anyone who's really paying attention. IME, very few people are paying attention. But I pretty much gave up on it too.
Posted By: 4ager Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/12/16
It sounds like the answer is essentially "no". Fair enough; good enough. Small pistol for pocket carry when I have to go tucked and a jacket isn't appropriate; otherwise, an IWB/OWB with a garment (untucked) over it, be that a jacket or a shirt. Same MO as I've been doing for years, just wanting to make sure that I wasn't missing something obvious.
Posted By: RWE Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/12/16
the only tuckable I got to work without looking like a muffin top over a brick was an NAA Guardian....
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/12/16
I've carried a Shield in a kydex tuckable holster made by Cooks:

https://www.cooksholsters.com/tuckable-iwb-holster/

It works ok, but I have a smaller waist and a thicker chest/back so it helps hide it a bit, especially since the shirt is looser around my waist. The thin profile of the shield along with the thin kydex helps.

I much prefer OWB with cover but sometimes I can't get what I prefer.
Originally Posted by sandcritter
If it helps any, I had to downsize to .380 (sig 238) in a small-maker 'executive iwb' hoslter having just one j-clip, to be convinced my iwb was un-noticeable. This was in an office setting where get up-down umpteen times in a day, sitting on stools and reaching here and there, which tends to challenge keeping a shirt tucked as well as not printing. Anything larger than my little P238 I was conscious of printing. Some claim to make a full-sized pistol disappear and maybe they're right, but IMO physics is physics - a smaller pistol hides easier. And yeah a .380 of 6 round cap is a compromise, but at bad breath distances, Cor-Bon DPX's, I'd take it over nothing anytime.
With modern loads, that's not a terrible option at all. I think the best of the breed is the Critical Defense. It will expand and adequately penetrate, and clothes don't prevent expansion due to the plastic cap.

Carry an extra mag full or two.
Terry once posted a link to a new holster design that seems to be really good for resolving this issue. The holster rides all the way inside the pants, with only a flap accessible above the waistband. You pull the flap, and the gun and holster get pulled up to where they're accessible for a draw. Can anyone remember the name of this product, and perhaps provide a link?
Here it is: Folks will just assume Sean is sporting a colostomy bag.

Posted By: 4ager Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/12/16

I've seen some stupid schit designed and sold before, but that one has to be quite a ways up on the dumbphuckitude ladder.
Posted By: RWE Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/12/16

Here you go Chris.

People will assume you actually have a penis...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/13/16
LMAO!
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/13/16
I've got a couple of different tuckable holsters because of my business attire. I've decided that I could access my pistol faster if I simply kept it in the trunk of the car.

What does work for me is using a tuckable holster untucked with a cover garment. Very comfortable.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/13/16
Originally Posted by JMR40
Glock 43 with clipdraw. Not perfect, but not bad either. For the record, I won't carry THIS gun THIS way with a round chambered. But I've not found anything else with this much power this concealable. It is a little slower to get into action, but a lot faster than going back to the car to get the gun I didn't carry.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you wore that with a black belt, very few people would notice anything.
Posted By: night_owl Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/14/16
Concealment of a full size pistol without a cover garment is as much myth as free pu$$y - and we keep falling for it.

Posted By: Yondering Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/15/16
I don't know guys, it works fine for me. G19 on a Zach holster works (once you get the cord adjusted to the right length) and really isn't noticeable. The draw is a little slower than an untucked shirt, but not by much.

I don't carry tucked often, and don't like it as much because the tucking is a pain, but it does work fine when necessary. I carry appendix at about 1:00. I don't have a large belly though; that makes a big difference.
Posted By: Jamison Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/15/16
I wear my G19 in an AlienGear Cloak Tuck 2 and my 43 in a Vedder Light Tuck. No other choice for the summer here in TN and I have to work in areas that are gun free...I have found that as long as it doesn't print like that dick holster above, no one really notices, and if if they do, they don't say anything. I literally have worn my extra mag on my belt in an open top carrier, with the gun tucked, and no one has ever said a single word about it. In fact, most people that recognize the mag think I took the gun off when they don't immediately see it.
Posted By: 4ager Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/15/16
CJ;

The Alien Gear stuff gets good reviews but it's a HUGE piece of stuff. You don't find it cumbersome?
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/15/16
I tried one of the belly band rigs, worn high so it would draw like a shoulder holster, the past few Sundays at church. It's not super comfortable (to cinch it tight enough that it didn't sag made it pretty tight) but I gradually got used to it. It's a better option for me than a tuckable holster.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I tried one of the belly band rigs, worn high so it would draw like a shoulder holster, the past few Sundays at church. It's not super comfortable (to cinch it tight enough that it didn't sag made it pretty tight) but I gradually got used to it. It's a better option for me than a tuckable holster.
What are you carrying that way?
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 07/15/16
A Shield 9mm with the 8 round mag.
Posted By: Jamison Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/09/16
The alien Gear isn't that big. It's pretty flat and distributes weight well due to the neoprene. I can be hot in the summer if you are outside, but its not as bad sizewise as you'd think...
Posted By: RyanTX Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/09/16
Has anybody tried these? Good review on GunBlast about them:

http://www.ccwbreakaways.com

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott F Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/10/16
I get away with it but I wear jeans and slightly blouse my shirt. You having to wear slacks and a dress shirt might no do as well.
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/12/16
Galco SkyOps Holsters from Optics Planet might be what you're looking for..
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/12/16
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Has anybody tried these? Good review on GunBlast about them:

http://www.ccwbreakaways.com

[Linked Image]

I talked with this guy for a while this A.M. after seeing your post. He's in the same boat most of are in. Carrying IWB just plain sucks. It's not comfortable by any means, and in a lot of cases it becomes painful, like if you have to bend over a lot. His Cargo shorts and pants and the Khaki shorts and pants are cut very genously below the waistline. The gun is actually in a holster that rides below your waist, so you don't get gouged every time you bend over. He carries a Glock 19, and tells me it's indetectable (Good advertizing?). He also said some people successfully carry full sized semi-auto pistols. Revolvers are certainly an alternative also. I'm going to buy some of the shorts and see which of my handguns I can realistically carry. He said he's been looking for an alternative to concealed carry that insures you actually carry a firearm when you leave the house.
Posted By: Scott F Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/12/16
My Milt Sparks never gouges or pinches me.
Posted By: DrGnarr Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/12/16
I've carried a Kahr P9 or a Springfield XDS 45 in a Whitehat Maxtuck for about 6 years now. I am on the road for work and wear either polo shirts or dress shirts tucked in every day. I do presentations and am in front of people on a daily basis and only one person in the six years mentioned following the training that he recognized I was carrying because he had the same holster. The Whitehat holster is awesome. Super comfy and conceals these single stacks more than fine. I've turned quite a few people onto these holsters and have never received any negative feedback. My uncle wears a crossbreed which is about the same as the Whitehat and he feels the same way I do, these hybrid holsters are hard to beat. Plus the lifetime warranty is awesome.
These are most definitely tuckable holsters that conceal
Originally Posted by DrGnarr
I've carried a Kahr P9 or a Springfield XDS 45 in a Whitehat Maxtuck for about 6 years now. I am on the road for work and wear either polo shirts or dress shirts tucked in every day. I do presentations and am in front of people on a daily basis and only one person in the six years mentioned following the training that he recognized I was carrying because he had the same holster. The Whitehat holster is awesome. Super comfy and conceals these single stacks more than fine. I've turned quite a few people onto these holsters and have never received any negative feedback. My uncle wears a crossbreed which is about the same as the Whitehat and he feels the same way I do, these hybrid holsters are hard to beat. Plus the lifetime warranty is awesome.
These are most definitely tuckable holsters that conceal

You are one of the fortunate few that can actually comfortably wear an IWB every day. Most give up the IWB for other methods. Even small, but still effective, firearms in an IWB carry hurt, pinch, bruise, etc...their carriers. So, they look for other methods of carrying. Even using a fanny pack which tells everyone you're carrying a gun. I'm going to try this guys Cargo and Khaki shorts to carry my handguns with. Just to see which one is the logical choice to carry. I can have my shirt out, or tucked, or Lord help everyone's eyes, I can wear the shorts and no shirt. Still concealed.
Originally Posted by night_owl
Concealment of a full size pistol without a cover garment is as much myth as free pu$$y - and we keep falling for it.

I don't think so. I believe CCW BREAKAWAYS has found a better mouse trap. I'm convinced after I spoke with him on the phone this afternoon. I'm going to order one pair of cargo shorts in a dark blue. He says the big double-stack, full size semi-autos could be a problem, but a full size single stack 1911 is what he designed it for. The holster can be altered to keep most any handgun snug until you need it.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/12/16
I've thought about ordering a pair for a couple of years now.

I'll be waiting for your review,

Good luck with them,

Geno
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/13/16
I just quite trying to find a 'tuckable' that worked. I carry owb, and wear a tee shirt or button up shirt over it.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/13/16
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I just quite trying to find a 'tuckable' that worked. I carry owb, and wear a tee shirt or button up shirt over it.

I will do that also, but, it's hard to hide the "print" of the grip. The rest of it works great. Shorts or pants, a proper holster belt, a OWB holster that is designed for concealment and large T-shirt, Polo shirt or a large button down shirt that will cover the OWB holster when the shirt is untucked. The guy who owns the gun shop where I work has a holster that is OWB, and it fits his H&K USP tight up against his body. When he pulls his shirt out to cover it, it is concealed.
Posted By: TWR Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/13/16
I carry IWB with an untucked shirt 99% of the time but sometimes we just have to tuck a shirt in and look presentable. Those times I use one of these http://www.pistolwear.com/trump-card-concealment-holster/ when it's too hot, when it's not too hot I use one of these http://www.undertechundercover.com/index.php/concealed-carry/mens-shirts.html

Both work fine but the Undercover shirt has less bounce when running down stairs and such. When it's hot I just don't run down stairs with the Pistol Wear band.

I've got a few tuckable holsters but even the J hook on my Kydex holster is noticeable to LE and others who know what to look for. I've never been busted in either of the above rigs.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/13/16
I like the shirts, because they come with a wife-beater choice which looks more comfortable to be wearing under another shirt. I swear these advertisers find a local gym and ask the prettiest male body builder if he'd like $500 to model one of their concealment shirts. I'm not a fat body, my chest measurements exceed my waist by plenty, but I sure as shootin' don't look like those guys. I bet they are close to 48" chest, 32" waist, 36" inseam.
Posted By: Scott F Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/13/16
How are the esirts for carrying a 1911?
Posted By: TWR Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/14/16
No idea, my only 1911 has been at the doc for quite a while now. I'm sure it would depend more on how thick your chest is than anything else.

They do show a Glock 19 being used but if you don't or can't be busted, you use a more concealable gun. I use a Shield most of the time.
Posted By: TWR Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/14/16
Let me add this, the shirt is made from some sort of compression type material, it fits tight and gives good support to the gun.

My full size M&P45 fits just fine but the grip sticking out would probably give me away.

Maybe that makes more sense.
Posted By: Scott F Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/14/16
I may try one. I did try an elastic under the shirt shoulder holster but the butt of my 1911 stuck out like a third arm and I sent it back. I often wear shirts with snaps instead of buttons and it looks like if the shirt were not real tight it might be a good option in some cases.

I am 6' 1", 205 lbs with a 43" chest and a 42" belly at it largest point. (I am working on the belly, honest! blush)

I try to avoid tent shaped shirts but in this case one might help.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: IWB tuckable: myth? - 08/15/16
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by night_owl

I don't think so. I believe CCW BREAKAWAYS has found a better mouse trap. I'm convinced after I spoke with him on the phone this afternoon. I'm going to order one pair of cargo shorts in a dark blue. He says the big double-stack, full size semi-autos could be a problem, but a full size single stack 1911 is what he designed it for. The holster can be altered to keep most any handgun snug until you need it.

I look forward to your thoughts on these after you've had a chance to try them out.
© 24hourcampfire