Home
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
I have a chance to buy this Mod. 28 on the bottom and I thought it would be a good companion gun to my Mod 29 on the top. But I'm undecided,...do I really need it?...what will it do that the .44 won't do? They're both N frames and I have three holsters for the 29 that the 28 will fit also.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
Well it will not have MIM parts and will be cheaper to shoot.

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
And they ain't making them anymore either.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And they ain't making them anymore either.

^^^This^^^. Old S&W N Frames are one of my addictions cool
Posted By: 4ager Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
Need? When the Hell did NEED enter into the equation?
Posted By: saddlering Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
Go for it Ron!
Posted By: viking Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
It fill that empty spot in the safe.
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
They're asking $800.00, seems kinda high to me. I was gonna make an offer, What would be a reasonable price?
Posted By: viking Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
Check gunbroker, that should give you a good idea. On the other hand they problably already did.....
Posted By: TheWarrior Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
800 sounds about right. It looks to be in great cond.
Posted By: TheWarrior Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
And, Yes. You need it..........
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
I have a model 60 J and a 66 K, the 28 N would round it out....maybe I do need it. grin
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
i have a bunch if k frame 357's. but i did buy a 28 for hot loads that i really didn't want to run through the k frames.
the 28's will handle a smoking load if you want to push them.
As to need, i could as myself that shelling out some money tomorrow for a S serial numbered smith built in 1965.
can't help myself.
Posted By: EdM Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
I'd pass at that price. I bought a mint four inch one four or five years ago for $400. Yes, I realize they have gone up as I own a pile of P&R'd N-Frames. Said M28 is now a 38 WCF.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/02/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJM Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/03/16
...yes you need that gun...but not at that price...

If the grips are correct that will be a 1960s vintage 28....and looks to be very nice shape.

Did some checking over on the GunBroker completed auctions and 4" 28s are bringing $500-700 depending on condition/age. There were a few that brought BIG money but they were LNIB or very early guns in nice condition.

$650-700 would be a good price to pay...then again as has been said, they aren't making them anymore...

Bob
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
They're asking $800.00, seems kinda high to me. I was gonna make an offer, What would be a reasonable price?
Unless that's something missing in your collection, and you must have it, that's a bit much for that 28. I think I paid $350.00 for one just like it ten years ago. Of course, that doesn't mean much in modern markets.

If your interest is strictly practical, it doesn't make much sense since, as you say, you already have a more capable chambering in an N-Frame.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/03/16
i paid about 350 for a model 28 around ten years ago too.
and i paid about double that for another n frame today and was giggling all the way home.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/03/16
stimulate the local economy.
Posted By: deflave Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/03/16
$800 is high.

Dave
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/03/16
I wouldn't pay $800 for a 28
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/03/16
The 28 was a less expensive version of the 27, satin finished instead of high polish, and top strap/rib not checkered. They were intended as a .357 service revolver.

So no, not $800 smile
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/03/16
I know the difference between a 27 and a 28. I had a 27 years ago. As far as money, it comes and goes. If I want something bad enough I pay what it takes to get it because at my age I don't have time to wait for a better deal.

When I was younger I sold a lot of guns that I thought I got a good price for. The money got pi$$ed away and I ended up with no gun and no money. Now I buy guns with my money before it gets spent on something foolish. grin
Posted By: 4ager Re: Do I need this gun? - 08/03/16
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1

When I was younger I sold a lot of guns that I thought I got a good price for. The money got pi$$ed away and I ended up with no gun and no money. Now I buy guns with my money before it gets spent on something foolish. grin

This, folks, is wisdom. Pay heed.

grin
© 24hourcampfire