Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr Single action pancake holster - 05/17/17
Does anybody use a pancake style holster for their short barrel SA for field use? What are the attributes of a cross draw design vs. strong side? I want my holster guy to make me something for my 4 5/8" Ruger. I already have a chest holster.
I have a black leather Pancake holster made by Simply Rugged for my Ruger New Vaquero in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I carry it on my strong side and I think it is a very good holster. The main reason I bought it was because it comes with cartridge loops on the side of the holster. This is a feature I really wanted. I would recommend it.
Posted By: RJM Re: Single action pancake holster - 05/17/17
Second vote for Simply Rugged....

Have one that fits Colt/Freedom Arms 97 size guns up to 5.5" and a second larger one for Ruger/Freedom Arms 83 size guns up to 6.5"...

Can be carried strong size or crossdraw...and with Chesty Puller harness can be worn as a chest holster. It can also be worn IWB with optional straps...

Bob
A third for the Simply Rugged. I use one with my Ruger Blackhawk.

A 4th for Simply Rugged
Posted By: EdM Re: Single action pancake holster - 05/18/17
I picked up this one when I was living in Calgary. It was made by a since defunct maker up there and it was found cheap in a junk box at a gunshop. It is very well made and worn strong side though can be worn crossdraw. It resides at the north house. That said, I prefer something more minimal in weight/size, i.e. less leather, for a light gun.

In general, I have little use for a crossdraw though I used them years ago when carrying while rifle hunting. Something I have not done for many years.

[Linked Image]

It carries an old Flattop 44 Mag.

[Linked Image]

My son carrying it on a June fishing trip near our place in north Idaho.

[Linked Image]

I do use one of Rob's early pancakes for one of my 475 Linebaugh's that I keep in Idaho. I bought this direct from Rob many years ago. Frankly, it is rather crude in construction though fully functional. I have seen his current stuff and it is of much higher quality. Given the weight of the gun this pancake works well for me.

[Linked Image]
I'm still a Tom Threeperson's style holster guy. I'm with Ed, I generally don't want half a cow for carrying a handgun.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm still a Tom Threeperson's style holster guy. I'm with Ed, I generally don't want half a cow for carrying a handgun.

+1, feel the same way. I found this picture and this is what I am considering. It is for the .45 3 screw Ruger I have posted here before with the stags Don't know what that top thumb break looking strap is. Would only want a hammer loop at most.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MOGC Re: Single action pancake holster - 05/18/17
I think Mernickle has a pancake holster in their line for single action revolvers. Worth a look...
This is my go to holster for my Ruger 45 Colt, but do have the Simply Rugged for my 1911

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire