-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Does anybody use a pancake style holster for their short barrel SA for field use? What are the attributes of a cross draw design vs. strong side? I want my holster guy to make me something for my 4 5/8" Ruger. I already have a chest holster.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a black leather Pancake holster made by Simply Rugged for my Ruger New Vaquero in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I carry it on my strong side and I think it is a very good holster. The main reason I bought it was because it comes with cartridge loops on the side of the holster. This is a feature I really wanted. I would recommend it.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Second vote for Simply Rugged....

Have one that fits Colt/Freedom Arms 97 size guns up to 5.5" and a second larger one for Ruger/Freedom Arms 83 size guns up to 6.5"...

Can be carried strong size or crossdraw...and with Chesty Puller harness can be worn as a chest holster. It can also be worn IWB with optional straps...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A third for the Simply Rugged. I use one with my Ruger Blackhawk.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

A 4th for Simply Rugged

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I picked up this one when I was living in Calgary. It was made by a since defunct maker up there and it was found cheap in a junk box at a gunshop. It is very well made and worn strong side though can be worn crossdraw. It resides at the north house. That said, I prefer something more minimal in weight/size, i.e. less leather, for a light gun.

In general, I have little use for a crossdraw though I used them years ago when carrying while rifle hunting. Something I have not done for many years.

[Linked Image]

It carries an old Flattop 44 Mag.

[Linked Image]

My son carrying it on a June fishing trip near our place in north Idaho.

[Linked Image]

I do use one of Rob's early pancakes for one of my 475 Linebaugh's that I keep in Idaho. I bought this direct from Rob many years ago. Frankly, it is rather crude in construction though fully functional. I have seen his current stuff and it is of much higher quality. Given the weight of the gun this pancake works well for me.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm still a Tom Threeperson's style holster guy. I'm with Ed, I generally don't want half a cow for carrying a handgun.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm still a Tom Threeperson's style holster guy. I'm with Ed, I generally don't want half a cow for carrying a handgun.

+1, feel the same way. I found this picture and this is what I am considering. It is for the .45 3 screw Ruger I have posted here before with the stags Don't know what that top thumb break looking strap is. Would only want a hammer loop at most.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think Mernickle has a pancake holster in their line for single action revolvers. Worth a look...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is my go to holster for my Ruger 45 Colt, but do have the Simply Rugged for my 1911

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.