Home
Anybody using the Barnes XPB 140 in a 357 Magnum or Max on deer/hogs?

If so what has performance been like?

Thinking of trying it in a 10" Contender so velocities will be up there.
I load the 140 XPB's for a field carry load to a measly 1400 fps in an old first gen Colt Trooper with a 4" barrel, that load penetrates to the high heavens in homemade test media, complete with random cow bones in the box to boot, god knows the speeds you could push that bullet too with a top end charge of H-110/296 in a 10" barrel, even if you pin the ears all the way back you'll have an expanded solid of at least 45 cal punching on through, the damage incurred to the critter by getting the petals all laid back against the bullets shank would have to be massive.

Put it in the right spot and you will eat. smile
I have done a little searching and have not found a whole lot out there about this bullet being used on deer. I have no fear that it should work pretty well.

Even though it is light it would take a 180 or 200 grain bullet retaining 70% or more to equal the original weight of this bullet. B.C may not be the best and it would probably shed velocity in a hurry but should be fine at woods ranges in a handgun.
I can't imagine using anything under 180 gr in the 357 max, especially when you can use pointy bullets in a contender. In my 10" contender max I was pushing 200 gr cast 1900+ fps.

If not using cast with the max I'd go with the Hornady .358 180 gr ssp
© 24hourcampfire