Home
Posted By: frogman43 S&W Governor - 08/19/17
Pro's, Con's of them? Anyone own and use it frequently?

With my impending move to Florida due to a forced "semi-retirement", and that I'll be spending 200+ days a year on the water, the thought of a dedicated snake/varmint gun capable of three different loads is intriguing.....

I'm all ears...... grin
Posted By: jimmyp Re: S&W Governor - 08/19/17
big for what they do, a 44 special shot shell is what I would use, and a SS 649 smith and wesson or maybe a 329 if you need LW. Honestly I think they are just silly, a gun that does nothing well.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: S&W Governor - 08/19/17
I'd like to have one.

Several years ago I relieved the cylinder of a Public Defender to use 45 ACP in Taurus proprietary moon clips and it worked fine. I also experimented with long-loaded 45 Colt loads and eventually got usable accuracy at 25 yards, despite the long cylinder. Would probably have kept it but Taurus' QC record is not a confidence builder.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-taurus-public-defender-45-colt410-snubnose-revolver/

The guns get derided but they have considerable utility as a farm/woods gun if you understand their limitations. S&W has no doubt done a better job with the platform.
Posted By: deflave Re: S&W Governor - 08/19/17
Originally Posted by frogman43
Pro's, Con's of them? Anyone own and use it frequently?

With my impending move to Florida due to a forced "semi-retirement", and that I'll be spending 200+ days a year on the water, the thought of a dedicated snake/varmint gun capable of three different loads is intriguing.....

I'm all ears...... grin

Don't.

Just don't.

Please.

Travis
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: S&W Governor - 08/20/17
Originally Posted by jimmyp
big for what they do, a 44 special shot shell is what I would use, and a SS 649 smith and wesson or maybe a 329 if you need LW. Honestly I think they are just silly, a gun that does nothing well.

A big ++ 1000!

Stupid Governor, Judge,just BS!

Same goes for those 5 lb derringers that shoot 410's and 45.

Either get a pistol that you can shoot,possibly some shot shells for it, or one of those snake charmer 410's if you want a dedicated snake gun. Personally the only kind of snakes I'm worried about are the 2 legged kind. With the others,they are either close enough to bite,so a pistol wouldn't help, or far enough that I don't have to fug with them.
Posted By: dla Re: S&W Governor - 08/20/17
I think that gun is part of a new genre - "feucktard bait"
Posted By: northcountry Re: S&W Governor - 08/20/17
Sarge I have often wondered if one was to get brass shot shells and load them with a powder to push the 45 caliber bullets up to speed would they shoot better not having to make the jump. Just a thought. Thanks for your time . Cheers NC
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: S&W Governor - 08/20/17
I love mine. Use it to shoot rats while bushogging pastures and for that use nothing else comes close. Carry in a HPG kit bag. Perfect rat murderer. I used to use shot shells in a .357 but it usually took two (or more) shots and range was very limited. Have used a compact double barrel which worked well but was a pain to get in action when a rat runs out.

I've not shot any thing other than 410's and 45ACP out of it. It shoots the 45 auto fairly well but nothing to brag about. I like moon clipped revolvers and the ability to shoot acp is a plus. I like the no-nonsense sights but again, I don't use it for shooting little groups.

It's a well made pistol but I rarely carry it anywhere other than the tractor.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Governor - 08/20/17
I'd get a Ruger LCRx. About 1 pound less and you can but slugs where you want them to go.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frogman43 Re: S&W Governor - 08/20/17
I appreciate the feedback gents.

It's not like I don't have several handgun options already, from the S&W 38 Airweight with shotshells I currently carry, to a S&W 625 Mountain Gun with handloaded shot cartridges from my buddy, Doc. Add to that, you can even purchase shotshells for 9mm or .45 acp.....but then you're stuck with them as your first and or second load as well.

I just happen to peruse the S&W site and wondered about their ability as a dedicated "Swamp" or "Boat" gun is all.....and having a real shot cartridge with low incidence of ricochet in certain areas.

Thanks for all the comments!

Froggy
Originally Posted by dla

Interesting point of view........
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd get a Ruger LCRx. About 1 pound less and you can but slugs where you want them to go.

[Linked Image]

Scott, do you find yourself carrying that LCRx more frequently than the J frame you used to carry?

Thanks
The wife has pretty much taken over the J-frame.

LCRx (above) or a LCR 22LR get carried the most.
And the 22LR the mostest.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: S&W Governor - 08/20/17
Originally Posted by northcountry
Sarge I have often wondered if one was to get brass shot shells and load them with a powder to push the 45 caliber bullets up to speed would they shoot better not having to make the jump. Just a thought. Thanks for your time . Cheers NC

Here's a thread with a lot of chronograph results using various loads... solid Tier Two 45 Colt loads (not recommended) barely cracking 800 fps and then only with 200 grain bullets. http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/400500-45-colt-loads-s-w-governor.html

In order to take advantage of brass shotshell casings, a chamber cast would be needed and once your ideal case length was established, you'd have to crimp them to keep bullets from walking out under recoil. If I ever fool with a 45/410 revolver again, I'm going to scrounge a few 460 cases and start again there.

The howlers, bless their hearts, have a point, That damned long chamber and the oversize cylinder throats, often found in 45/410 revolvers, keeps them from doing any one thing really well. I am primarily a 45 Colt SA guy and I just can't warm up to any revolver that inhibits getting 950 fps from a 255 grain bullet and keep them on a groundhog at 50 yards.

In my mind, the current best options for a 45 ACP/Colt revolver are a Ruger SA with a cylinder for each or the Redhawk chambered to handle both. Given the poor patterns I got with 410 bird shot, I think you'd be about as well off with Speer 45 Colt shot loads.
Posted By: bea175 Re: S&W Governor - 08/20/17
It is like a Jack of all Trades and a master of none
Shotshell and bullet

[Linked Image]
That'll do.....
Posted By: MOGC Re: S&W Governor - 08/20/17
Originally Posted by bea175
It is like a Jack of all Trades and a master of none

I made that comment years ago when the Judge was first introduced and caught seven kinds of hell from several guys here defending the thing.
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: S&W Governor - 08/21/17
Good choice, shotshell options, 45LC and .410 loads. Pistol is large with the cylinder size. Changed to hogue g10 grips, big improvement. The .410 with 6 shot works well. Holster options are limited.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: S&W Governor - 08/21/17
Originally Posted by dla

Agreed. My stepbrother, a diehard Democrat, bought a Judge and thinks he's really got something, but he hasn't shot it much, because the ammo is "costly". I'd bet he's never shot any .454 at all, probably only .410 ammo. He's kinda silly like that. He and I get along only because we have to, for family's sake.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: S&W Governor - 08/21/17
My dad has a judge.....after using it my opinion is just a novelty....took it out to dispatch a sick coon.....he had it loaded with 45 LC with 410 buckshot in alternating cylinders... The buckshot didn't seem to have enough energy and the 45 colt wouldn't even hit the critter at 15 paces.... We did get him killed but it wasn't pretty....
Had another sick coon over at my house the other day....1 -240 gr. cast slug from a 629 and game over....
I would just use shot shells in 44 or 45 colt for snakes and such...
Posted By: GunGeek Re: S&W Governor - 08/21/17
When it comes to snakes, I like the .22lr or .22 magnum CCI shotshells. They are typically as effective or more effective on snakes than the larger caliber shot shells because they use smaller shot. The .22's use #11 shot, and the larger certerfires use #7.5 shot. With snakes, more pellets is what you want, not larger pellets. I have found that you get absolutely no better performance until you get up to .44mag/.45 Colt shot shells.

The best snake shot is when you just make your own.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: S&W Governor - 08/21/17
the .45 Colt/.410 shotgun thing never excited me. I kill snakes just fine with a 4 inch barrel S&W Model 63.
© 24hourcampfire