Home
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Long slide 1911 - 09/22/17
I'm sure lots of folks remember the AMT 1911 Hardballer Long Slide with the 7" slide. That went away when AMT went belly up after their founder died. Apparently there are one or more 6" slide .45's out there, I'm not an aficionado so don't know, but I talked to a fellow yesterday who used to work for AMT (he currently produces OEM grips for some Colts) and he has developed a prototype for a 7" long slide. Knowing the quality of this fellow's other work hopefully that will continue with this particular project.

I don't know any of the details of who would manufacture it or anticipated production dates, this was mentioned in a conversation about other stuff, but just passing this along to offer a ray of hope in case anyone's life has been incomplete without one.

Posted By: GunGeek Re: Long slide .45 - 09/22/17
I always thought the longslides were perfect platforms for 10mm & .45 Super. Little more barrel length to build velocity, and a bit more slide mass to absorb the sharp impulse of those two rounds.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Long slide .45 - 09/22/17
Here's a Les Baer Long Slide .45 ACP. I traded for some years ago.

I thought my Gold Cup was accurate until I shot this one.

Other high end makers produce nice guns, many with fancier finishes than Les Baer. No one beats Les with accuracy,

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Long slide 1911 - 09/22/17
To be honest I wasn't sure if this news would get a lot of apathy since short carry guns and snub nose howitzers are all the rage now.

As noted, all that has happened is that a prototype has been built but it will be interesting to see how this develops. New guns and having more choices is rarely a bad thing.
I shot a Colt Delta 10 mm; a long slide 10 mm would be a great side arm, hunting pistol.

DF
Posted By: Jesse Jaymes Re: Long slide .45 - 09/22/17
Remington has the R1 available in a 6" 10mm Hunter version. I'd really really like one. Seems put together properly. But I just dumped $1000 on a Springfield Elite Operator....5" 9mm
I haven't seen that. Should be a good one. The 6" R1 Hunter with a good reflex red dot optic would be great for a shooter with antique eyeballs.

I have a Springfield 9mm, not sure which one, but very nice with adj. sights, etc. Shoots really well and is well put together.

DF
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Long slide .45 - 09/23/17
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Other high end makers produce nice guns, many with fancier finishes than Les Baer. No one beats Les with accuracy,

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's exactly what I have after searching a long time for an AMT Longslide. With the accuracy guarantee. It is a fun one to shoot!

Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: Long slide .45 - 09/24/17
I have a Rob Serva built Fusion Firearms 6-inch long slide in 10mm. He also builds them in 45 ACP, 40 S&W and 9mm as well as custom 5-inch and commander models. They are sweet.
Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: Long slide .45 - 09/24/17
Here is the photo gallery For Fusion Firearms. The Llong Slides are under "Hunting". Rob Serva was the previous owner of Dan Wesson Firearms and introduced their 1911 models.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/gallery/
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Long slide .45 - 09/26/17
Originally Posted by 257heaven

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's exactly what I have after searching a long time for an AMT Longslide. With the accuracy guarantee. It is a fun one to shoot!

I traded for this one used.

A friend just bought a Les Baer 1911, used for a good price. They're out there and are good values. Even if the finish is worn, you have a solid pistol that's a world class shooter.

Like I posted earlier, no one beats Les Baer on accuracy, maybe finish and asthetics, not accuracy.

DF
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Long slide .45 - 09/26/17
Originally Posted by 257heaven

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I traded for this one used.

A friend just bought a Les Baer 1911, used for a good price. They're out there and are good values. Even if the finish is worn, you have a solid pistol that's a world class shooter.

Like I posted earlier, no one beats Les Baer on accuracy, maybe finish and asthetics, not accuracy.

DF

I have a Les Baer 5" UTC model. It's a regular 3" at 50 yards model. The only thing I don't like about it is the front cocking grooves I should have been more patient and found one without them. Their build quality is impressive.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Long slide .45 - 09/26/17
What do you not like about the forward cocking grooves?

Just curious.

DF
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Long slide .45 - 09/27/17
I'm the same way. I'd rather not have the front serrations. But it's not a deal-breaker for me. One of the sweetest 1911's I've had was a RRA Basic Carry without the front serrations. It was a sweet pistol. I also had a Baer Premier w/o the front serrations at one time. Sold both of those and shouldn't have.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Long slide .45 - 09/28/17
I never thought about it, one way or the other.

I guess without would look better, don't think front serrations would hinder a clean, fast draw.

DF
Posted By: hookeye Re: Long slide .45 - 09/28/17
My 1911 has front serrations. Never use them.
Does chew the leather up a bit.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Long slide .45 - 09/28/17

I actually like the look of front serrations
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Long slide 1911 - 10/14/17
Update: Here is a link to the web page about this. I got an email today from Roger Renner on another subject (a reworked stock he's doing for me) and he mentioned how busy he was getting this ready for the big Reno Gunshow. It will be made in .45 Super so you can use the Super, .45 ACP and .45 ACP +P in the same pistol.

The website is saying that from the 7" Longslide the Super can throw a 255 grain bullet at 1175 fps which is getting into serious oomph for a case the same size as a .45 ACP. I don't know anything other than what's on the website here but you can always email [email protected] to ask questions.

.45 Super Longslide

Posted By: HawkI Re: Long slide 1911 - 10/14/17
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Remington has the R1 available in a 6" 10mm Hunter version. I'd really really like one. Seems put together properly. But I just dumped $1000 on a Springfield Elite Operator....5" 9mm

There's a Para somewhere here in the safe.

The rear target sight, if Remington didnt change it, needs some "help". Otherwise its a decent arm. It handles top loads that a Colt 10mm wont.
Posted By: RJM Re: Long slide 1911 - 10/15/17
Nice looking gun Jim...I especially like the fact it doesn't have a checkered frontstrap...

I also have one of the PARA USA Elite LS Hunters that are now being made by Remington. Accuracy is excellent...

As to a 7" barrel, I wonder what the velocity difference will be between a 5" and a 7"...

According to Buffalo Bore, from a 5" barrel;

.45 Outdoorsman 255 HC...925
.45 Super Outdoorsman 255 HC...1075

...so for 2" more inches of barrel looks like one can get another 100 fps...

..any ballpark idea what the price will be?

Bob
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Long slide 1911 - 10/15/17
I 'm afraid the only information I have on this is whatever is on the website I posted. If you're interested the best bet is to email Roger here: inforadicalconcepts.info, or give him a call. What I'm gathering is that he isn't going to put these into regular production, but rather take orders and then produce limited runs of them. Nor do I know if he will build one on a customer supplied frame.

What I can say is that Roger (R.J. Renner) has treated me well in the two projects he's done. He's not cheap (i.e. he isn't aiming for the Walmart crowd) but IMO not outrageous either, I feel I've gotten very good value for the money. He's the kind of guy who is always thinking and going and seeing what he can produce and obviously is a busy man, but we've had a few conversations from 1/2 to a full hour and he's never rushed me or talked down to me or tried to brag and puff himself up, he strikes me as just a regular guy who happens to be very knowledgeable about guns.

He mentioned that he was working on this Longslide project during our last talk and since I'm sure he wouldn't produce a crappy product I figured to spread the word for any folks who may have an interest.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Long slide 1911 - 10/19/17
Long slides are available if you look around a bit. I think the 45 auto and even a 10mm is perfect in the 5" barrel.
Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: Long slide 1911 - 10/27/17
I have a Fusion Firearms Hunter 6-inch Long Slide in 10 mm by Bob Serva who used to be CEO of Dan Wesson and got the 1911 line introduced there before selling the company and opening a small semi-custom 1911 company..
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Long slide 1911 - 10/27/17
I had a Springfield long slide 1911 for awhile. I found it useless and sold it. 10MM makes a lot more sense in a long slide pistol.
Posted By: deflave Re: Long slide 1911 - 10/28/17
Anybody that has used guns with long sight radiuses knows the value of a long sight radius.

I don't GAF what it's chambered in.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire