Home
Posted By: Trap4fur Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Hi guys I own a couple pistols mainly for concealed carrying and in the house I am a trapper and I want a pistol to carry on the line and dispatch animals with it. It is going to take a hell of a beating and will not look pretty so I don’t care about fancy or double action I’m looking for a 22lr revolver nothing to big either as light as possible and cheap also it dosnt have to be quality as long as I can hit something at about 2’ away I don’t no much about handguns I’m a long gun guy and I have probably a dumb question is there a 22 revolver that shoots 22 shorts?? Thanks guys
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Ruger LCR. It's a 2" double action only revolver that holds 8 shots and weighs nothing.

Or the 3" version with adjustable sights.
Posted By: Youper Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Look at a Ruger Single Six. They have other models that might suit better, but will cost more.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
All 22 long rifle revolvers will shoot shorts. If your determined to use them, keep thd chambers brushed clean.

That said, a 22lr full patched/ copper plated isnt going to tear up hides with any more stitching than a 22 short and be easier to find.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Been thinking about a Ruger SP 101 for my trapline.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Been thinking about a Ruger SP 101 for my trapline.

I have the 4.2" model with the green fiber optic front sight and it's a great revolver; hell for stout and with dry-firing the trigger gets smooth fast. Don't judge the trigger by how it feels in the store. Spend a few evenings dry firing--after lubricating the gun; Ruger has been shipping them dry in recent years--and you'll get much better results.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Single six or even better, a bearcat.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
I’m also a trapper, I carry a ruger LCRx 3” 22lr.

It’s perfect for what you describe. You might also look into a ruger bearcat or a single six.
Posted By: viking Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
I immediately thought of Ruger. 4 inch stainless.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I’m also a trapper, I carry a ruger LCRx 3” 22lr.

It’s perfect for what you describe. You might also look into a ruger bearcat or a single six.

This...
Originally Posted by Trap4fur
Hi guys I own a couple pistols mainly for concealed carrying and in the house I am a trapper and I want a pistol to carry on the line and dispatch animals with it. It is going to take a hell of a beating and will not look pretty so I don’t care about fancy or double action I’m looking for a 22lr revolver nothing to big either as light as possible and cheap also it dosnt have to be quality as long as I can hit something at about 2’ away I don’t no much about handguns I’m a long gun guy and I have probably a dumb question is there a 22 revolver that shoots 22 shorts?? Thanks guys

All .22 revolvers will shoot .22 Short.
Posted By: RDW Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
The SP101, Single 6 and Bearcat are not exactly light or inexpensive.
Well, even a cursory search of a gun store will reveal a Heritage or a Rough Rider .22 pistol for under 200 bucks.

If you never shoot them, they stay nice and tight.....would last for years.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Well, even a cursory search of a gun store will reveal a Heritage or a Rough Rider .22 pistol for under 200 bucks.

Jim is right. Heritage is cheap, and they meet your requirements.
They are not the best built, but if you wear one out shooting trapped animals,
You have trapped a lot of animals.
Buy another one, then.
Posted By: szihn Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
All 22 LR revolvers can fire 22 shorts.

If it were me I'd get a Ruger BearCat
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Tarus has a 9 shot double action 22rf with a 4 " barrel.Sort of clone of a Smith,but cheaper. I have one for sale for $150+ fees/shipping
I have been looking for a 999 revolver for years.

That would make a good trapper.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
LCR is a good candidate. Light, fairly cheap, functional. You might decide to become a handgun guy once you get to shooting a good 22 handgun, and find out how much fun it is. The LCR will work well for fun plinking as well as trapline use.

Avoid the Heritage, it is straight up junk. Avoid Taurus, same story but one small notch higher on the junk scale. I've seen 22 revolvers in both of those brands straight up stop working. Just like buying any tool for work use, when you think you can get away with buying a cheap one, that will be the tool that breaks when you most need it, creating more hassle and potentially costing more than if you'd just bought a quality tool to begin with.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
I've got an old 4 inch high standard Sentinel that has been an excellent 22 revolver. It is lightweight and accurate enough for squirrel and rabbit hunting to about 25 yards. It is accurate enough to hit them further than that, but that's my personal limit.
Posted By: deflave Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
LCR is a no brainer.

A Savage Rascal might not be a bad idea either.
Posted By: krupp Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I've got an old 4 inch high standard Sentinel that has been an excellent 22 revolver. It is lightweight and accurate enough for squirrel and rabbit hunting to about 25 yards. It is accurate enough to hit them further than that, but that's my personal limit.

I picked up a JC Higgins Model 88 a couple of years ago for $100 OTD. It is a Sentinel with nothing more than a different trademark on it. Solid, dependable and accurate. Only one I have ever seen. Damn shame too.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Avoid Taurus, same story but one small notch higher on the junk scale. I've seen 22 revolvers in both of those brands straight up stop working. Just like buying any tool for work use, when you think you can get away with buying a cheap one, that will be the tool that breaks when you most need it, creating more hassle and potentially costing more than if you'd just bought a quality tool to begin with.

I had several of the Taurus 22RF revolvers when I was teaching NRA Basic Pistol courses for CCW .None ever failed me,They had several thousand rounds put thru them. Not a Smith K-22, Ruger, or Colt,but an inexpensive serviceable revolver.
Posted By: lastround Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ruger LCR. It's a 2" double action only revolver that holds 8 shots and weighs nothing.

Or the 3" version with adjustable sights.

From what the OP said, what he said!
Posted By: PennDog Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Iver Johnson had a “Sealed Eight”, H&R had some “Spotsman’s Specials” (I think these were before the 999) and there was a “Trapper” Model as well all can be had realitively cheap (don’t think I ever paid more than $100 for any that I have - although they are climbing) and they are real light....don’t expect to be able to hit anything past 10-15’ 😄. I’ve used them to dispatch plenty of furbearers.

PennDog
Posted By: boatboy Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
Heritage pistols are something I will never own again

Consider two things the local gun smiths will not touch them for repair
So I called the manufacture and asked about sending it in for service they asked for the ser # I have it and they said it was 3 years old they would not repair it

That told me everything I needed to know
Hank
Just about anything but a Heritage or Taurus.

Rugers are always my first choice when it comes to pistols in .22 caliber. The 3” LCR with adjustable sights would be an excellent choice. And you sure couldn’t go wrong with a Bearcat or Single Six, either.
Posted By: NMiller Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/01/18
I'm a trapper and have carried an LCR for a few seasons. Great guns, light weight and tough. Killed lots of criitters with it, including a bunch of wolves. Rides around in my front bib pocket.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/02/18
Originally Posted by HawkI
That said, a 22lr full patched/ copper plated isn't going to tear up hides with any more stitching than a 22 short and be easier to find.

True...a copper plated 22lr won't "tear up the hide" other than the extra .224 sized hole when you get an exit and I guarantee you'll get em. Small bullet holes don't require sewing but exit wounds bleed all over the fur so I use shorts

As far as revolvers go I like single action Rugers on the trap line......just a personal preference.....
I use a Single Six but I recently bought a Shopkeeper so that'll change next year..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: mark shubert Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/02/18
From 2' to 3' - a NAA mini would work.
Posted By: Trap4fur Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/02/18
Thank you all I’m sure glad I asked lots of knowledge so it’s going to be the right lcr 3” or bearcat I will let you no this weekend thanks again
Posted By: HawkI Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/02/18
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
That said, a 22lr full patched/ copper plated isn't going to tear up hides with any more stitching than a 22 short and be easier to find.

True...a copper plated 22lr won't "tear up the hide" other than the extra .224 sized hole when you get an exit and I guarantee you'll get em. Small bullet holes don't require sewing but exit wounds bleed all over the fur so I use shorts

As far as revolvers go I like single action Rugers on the trap line......just a personal preference.....
I use a Single Six but I recently bought a Shopkeeper so that'll change next year..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thought they made reduced solids in LR.

My mistake.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/02/18
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My mistake.

They might but I'm not aware of any so I use what I know works.
H&R revolvers would fit your needs very well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/02/18
Stainless Bearcat. Avoid "cheap" guns...buy once, cry once.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/02/18

My mistake.

They do.You can buy Remington Subsonic and CC sells them too
OP, I'd get an LCR without thinking twice. It's pre-uglied.
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
H&R revolvers would fit your needs very well.

[Linked Image]

Back in the early 1990s, I remember there was a regular at the range who only shot one of those H&R, swing out cylinder, revolvers. It was chambered in .32 H&R Magnum. He handloaded for it, and exclusively shot from a rest out to fifty yards with it, and got some amazing groups. I think it was only a four inch barrel, too.
H&R revolvers are generally crude, but always reliable, and often accurate beyond their looks and price.
A trapline gun gets used hard, not having to worry about its appearance or price is a real bonus.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/03/18
pawn shop H&R 9-something. 100-150 bucks
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/03/18

Ruger Single Six, all the way. Stainless is preferable. Be sure to get the Magnum cylinder as well, even if you think you won't need it. Thank me later.
Posted By: Trap4fur Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/03/18
Holly crap I just looked under my mattress and I have a Ruger lcr 22 mag though brand new got it on sale for 255$ brand new can I convert it to a 22 or?
Another vote for the Ruger LCRx, with Ruger Bearcat second choice.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/03/18
Holly crap I just looked under my mattress and I have a Ruger lcr 22 mag though brand new got it on sale for 255$ brand new can I convert it to a 22 or?

Just buy a brick of 22 mags and rock on. Check the other side of the mattress, you might have a brick of ammo there.
Trade it in on a 22lr version.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/03/18
Just curious....what’s all this stuff about trapline pistols getting “used hard” and “taking a beating “? I’ve been trapping since I was 11 years old (I’ll be 70 in June) and for most of those years have carried a .22 revolver (usually a single action Ruger) to shoot trapped animals with. I don’t see where the gun took any more beating or got used harder than normal. It’s not like I drive trap stakes, or dig dirt holes with it. I don’t beat stuff over the head with it. I take it out, shoot something, and put it back in the holster (or in the case of my little 317 Smith, back in the chest pocket of my bibs.) Same way coon hunting. If it gets wet somehow (been known to happen) I clean it up when I’m done, like anything else. So what is it some of you fellas do with your trapping pistol that’s so rough on it?
Salt marsh mostly. Seems once a week I'd take a dunking. Usually find a spot or two of surface rust within hours. Gumbo mud in a tidal marsh is always changing. Good to walk on today, over your ass tomorrow.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/03/18
I read this thread when the first couple posts initially appeared. The first thing I also thought of, was my Ruger Mk III, and Ruger Single Six.

But soon after I thought of the little Walther P22 I bought when they first came out.
I could shoot that little pistol with more ease and accuracy offhand plinking - than I could my Rugers.
That little pistol slipped comfortably into a pants pocket or jacket pocket, and went just about anywhere I went.

It was tough, dependable, fun, and would be well suited for the close work that the OP specified.

I had two Walther P22's one short barrel model, which a friends sister wanted and I sold to her
because I saw a longer barreled Target Model which thought I wanted - but also later sold.

I always wanted to replace my standard P22 but always bought something else instead.

NOW, I want to replace my old P22 with the:

<> <> https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-ppq-22lr.html?__SID=U#.WsLuleSWyM8 <> <>

- - - WALTHER PPQ M2 22LR, which are Walther's top-of-the-line pistols, with an excellent + trigger!
Posted By: MOGC Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/03/18
If it tweren't for the need to shoot rim fire Shorts the little Ruger SR22 wouldn't be a bad choice. I know, not a revolver but it's light, compact, poly frame and alloy upper isn't gonna rust, accurate, reliable, easy to safe carry and doesn't cost much if you shop around a little.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/03/18
Originally Posted by cra1948
Just curious....what’s all this stuff about trapline pistols getting “used hard” and “taking a beating “? I’ve been trapping since I was 11 years old (I’ll be 70 in June) and for most of those years have carried a .22 revolver (usually a single action Ruger) to shoot trapped animals with. I don’t see where the gun took any more beating or got used harder than normal. It’s not like I drive trap stakes, or dig dirt holes with it. I don’t beat stuff over the head with it. I take it out, shoot something, and put it back in the holster (or in the case of my little 317 Smith, back in the chest pocket of my bibs.) Same way coon hunting. If it gets wet somehow (been known to happen) I clean it up when I’m done, like anything else. So what is it some of you fellas do with your trapping pistol that’s so rough on it?

I'm guessing you ain't trapped the high tide line, out of a boat.
My first though was a Bearcat with adj. sights.. May find other uses for it later..
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/04/18

Am I the only one that noticed the length of the second “sentence”?
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/07/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Jim is right. Heritage is cheap, and they meet your requirements.
They are not the best built, but if you wear one out shooting trapped animals,
You have trapped a lot of animals.
Buy another one, then.

This is the gun I was going to suggest too. The Ruger Single Six is a better gun, but it's more expensive too. I carried a little Ithaca single shot .22 lever rifle for years before I bought my Single Six. That little rifle went through hell on the trap line. It was pretty fugly by the time I got rid of it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Revolver?????!!!!!!!! - 04/07/18

No.

But you can sell it and use the money to buy the 22LR version.

You'll go deaf shooting that thing on a trapline.

Travis
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Am I the only one that noticed the length of the second “sentence”?

I don't know.

But you're the only one to cry about it.

Dave
Originally Posted by cra1948

They tend to have more exposure to water IME and a lot of trappers tend to not use holsters. Just a pocket of some type. Rubbing against the inside of waders takes a toll on a finish also.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire