Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I've got an old 4 inch high standard Sentinel that has been an excellent 22 revolver. It is lightweight and accurate enough for squirrel and rabbit hunting to about 25 yards. It is accurate enough to hit them further than that, but that's my personal limit.

I picked up a JC Higgins Model 88 a couple of years ago for $100 OTD. It is a Sentinel with nothing more than a different trademark on it. Solid, dependable and accurate. Only one I have ever seen. Damn shame too.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Avoid Taurus, same story but one small notch higher on the junk scale. I've seen 22 revolvers in both of those brands straight up stop working. Just like buying any tool for work use, when you think you can get away with buying a cheap one, that will be the tool that breaks when you most need it, creating more hassle and potentially costing more than if you'd just bought a quality tool to begin with.

I had several of the Taurus 22RF revolvers when I was teaching NRA Basic Pistol courses for CCW .None ever failed me,They had several thousand rounds put thru them. Not a Smith K-22, Ruger, or Colt,but an inexpensive serviceable revolver.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/01/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ruger LCR. It's a 2" double action only revolver that holds 8 shots and weighs nothing.

Or the 3" version with adjustable sights.

From what the OP said, what he said!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Iver Johnson had a “Sealed Eight”, H&R had some “Spotsman’s Specials” (I think these were before the 999) and there was a “Trapper” Model as well all can be had realitively cheap (don’t think I ever paid more than $100 for any that I have - although they are climbing) and they are real light....don’t expect to be able to hit anything past 10-15’ 😄. I’ve used them to dispatch plenty of furbearers.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 04/01/18.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Heritage pistols are something I will never own again

Consider two things the local gun smiths will not touch them for repair
So I called the manufacture and asked about sending it in for service they asked for the ser # I have it and they said it was 3 years old they would not repair it

That told me everything I needed to know
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just about anything but a Heritage or Taurus.

Rugers are always my first choice when it comes to pistols in .22 caliber. The 3” LCR with adjustable sights would be an excellent choice. And you sure couldn’t go wrong with a Bearcat or Single Six, either.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a trapper and have carried an LCR for a few seasons. Great guns, light weight and tough. Killed lots of criitters with it, including a bunch of wolves. Rides around in my front bib pocket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
That said, a 22lr full patched/ copper plated isn't going to tear up hides with any more stitching than a 22 short and be easier to find.

True...a copper plated 22lr won't "tear up the hide" other than the extra .224 sized hole when you get an exit and I guarantee you'll get em. Small bullet holes don't require sewing but exit wounds bleed all over the fur so I use shorts

As far as revolvers go I like single action Rugers on the trap line......just a personal preference.....
I use a Single Six but I recently bought a Shopkeeper so that'll change next year..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
From 2' to 3' - a NAA mini would work.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thank you all I’m sure glad I asked lots of knowledge so it’s going to be the right lcr 3” or bearcat I will let you no this weekend thanks again

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
That said, a 22lr full patched/ copper plated isn't going to tear up hides with any more stitching than a 22 short and be easier to find.

True...a copper plated 22lr won't "tear up the hide" other than the extra .224 sized hole when you get an exit and I guarantee you'll get em. Small bullet holes don't require sewing but exit wounds bleed all over the fur so I use shorts

As far as revolvers go I like single action Rugers on the trap line......just a personal preference.....
I use a Single Six but I recently bought a Shopkeeper so that'll change next year..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thought they made reduced solids in LR.

My mistake.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My mistake.

They might but I'm not aware of any so I use what I know works.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
H&R revolvers would fit your needs very well.

[Linked Image]

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stainless Bearcat. Avoid "cheap" guns...buy once, cry once.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

My mistake.

They do.You can buy Remington Subsonic and CC sells them too

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OP, I'd get an LCR without thinking twice. It's pre-uglied.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
H&R revolvers would fit your needs very well.

[Linked Image]

Back in the early 1990s, I remember there was a regular at the range who only shot one of those H&R, swing out cylinder, revolvers. It was chambered in .32 H&R Magnum. He handloaded for it, and exclusively shot from a rest out to fifty yards with it, and got some amazing groups. I think it was only a four inch barrel, too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
H&R revolvers are generally crude, but always reliable, and often accurate beyond their looks and price.
A trapline gun gets used hard, not having to worry about its appearance or price is a real bonus.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
pawn shop H&R 9-something. 100-150 bucks

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Trap4fur
Hi guys I own a couple pistols mainly for concealed carrying and in the house I am a trapper and I want a pistol to carry on the line and dispatch animals with it. It is going to take a hell of a beating and will not look pretty so I don’t care about fancy or double action I’m looking for a 22lr revolver nothing to big either as light as possible and cheap also it dosnt have to be quality as long as I can hit something at about 2’ away I don’t no much about handguns I’m a long gun guy and I have probably a dumb question is there a 22 revolver that shoots 22 shorts?? Thanks guys

Ruger Single Six, all the way. Stainless is preferable. Be sure to get the Magnum cylinder as well, even if you think you won't need it. Thank me later.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 25 invisible), 1,942 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.