Home
Posted By: jwp475 Curious - 04/05/18

Has anyone taken more than 13 round to kill an animal with a handgun?
Posted By: CraigC Re: Curious - 04/05/18
Isn't this a "callout thread"?

Hypocrite.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Curious - 04/05/18

It’s more of a contest, that I think you can win.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Curious - 04/05/18
Well, at my age, and as best as I can recall . . .

It was a dinosaur and I was throwing rocks.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Curious - 04/05/18

👍
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Curious - 04/05/18
My highest count is 10. Sent a 22/45 magazine's worth of ammo into the north end of a south bound armadillo as he was digging by the foundation of my house. If I'd of had another magazine it would have been 20. I was slightly peeved at him.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Curious - 04/05/18
Took me 16 rounds of 9mm to finish off a car hit deer one night. 11 connected, the others went off into the forest. The one shoulder was busted up but the other three legs worked well enough to keep it at the limit of the 4 D-cell flashlight I had 30 years ago. It was also asking a bit much of the standard HPs one found back then to drive far enough forward into a quartering away deer to reach vitals.
It would have been fewer rounds if the gal who hit it would have stayed in her car and not run over to the deer yelling, "It's over here," and then continued to chase it as I was trying to angle toward it for a better shot.

Should not have offered to put it down when I called the dispatcher and left a deputy or warden deal with the gal.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Curious - 04/05/18
Watched a guy put about 4 rounds into a deer's head at contact distance with some POS 9mm and what I think were cast reloads. The mule deer doe was down from a marginal hit but still alive. He'd shoot, the deer would flinch or react to the hit but was still moving, so he'd shoot again until it finally died. It was pathetic.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Curious - 04/05/18
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
My highest count is 10. Sent a 22/45 magazine's worth of ammo into the north end of a south bound armadillo as he was digging by the foundation of my house. If I'd of had another magazine it would have been 20. I was slightly peeved at him.

Ironically, my story also involves an armadillo, along with a riding mower, a Brittany Spaniel, and 8 rounds of 45 ACP from a Colt Commander.

It was about as good a goat roping as a man could wish for.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Curious - 04/05/18
No thank goodness. My handgun kills were one shot affairs which is a good thing because when you touch off a .357 magnum without ear protection, you don't want to have to do it a second time.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Curious - 04/05/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Ironically, my story also involves an armadillo, along with a riding mower, a Brittany Spaniel, and 8 rounds of 45 ACP from a Colt Commander.

lol...sounds like a recipe for one.

After sunset, not wanting to fire a round, I spent about 15 minutes trying to kill one with a rock at the end of a deer hunt season before last. My ninja skills ain't what they used to be....
Posted By: driftless Re: Curious - 04/05/18
Six 44 spl. Woodchuck vs. Springer Spaniel, six 44spl. Raccoon vs. Spaniel both times would have used 13. The skunks have been one and done, dog loves this stuff.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Curious - 04/06/18

Those damn things ain't right. I shot one, looking straight at me uphill from 10 yards, with a 45 ACP using 225 grain lead flat points. Held real careful like, right between it's ears, to clip it's spine. It jumped straight up, sorta grunted and started hopping right for me. "You little somabish" I said as I flanked him and busted him again, right through the shoulders. That rolled him over and I could see that the first shot semi-eviscerated him. At this the little bastage started running in a circle, so I gave him #3 longways above that tail. That one settled his hash.

Next time I see one of those things on the place, I'm loading the old Auto 5 with slugs.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Curious - 04/06/18
I shot the top off a Dilla's head with a 22 LR once that was digging a hole under our cabin. Took the top of his skull clean off and he started hopping like he was on a trampoline doing backflips slinging blood everywhere. In comes my old chocolate lab Rocky and she's trying to get ahold of him and having no luck with he teeth glancing off the shell and what have you. I had no idea even after killing dozens of the things that they had 17 quarts of blood in them. But I'd swear that's how much was all over that damn dog. smile
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Curious - 04/06/18
Armadillos carry leprosy. Or that's what I've been told.

Steer clear of those 17 quarts of blood if you can.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Curious - 04/06/18
Armadillo , 32 S&W Long. One shot, down and done.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Curious - 04/06/18
Well that's just real nice, Webster. Here we are pouring our hearts out about slinging more lead through a 'diller than the shell would hold, and you come along with your "32 S&W Long. One shot, down and done." I don't doubt you did it, no Sir, not at all. But you really need to go dig that damn thing up and shoot it a half- dozen more times so the rest of us don't feel so bad.

wink
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Curious - 04/06/18
Your's reads similar to my story. At the shot the armadillo jumped up about 2 feet (they always seem to do that), than ran straight at me with blood spraying out.

My riding mower was parked next to me and the deck was raised. Armadillo made it under the deck, messed around for a few seconds and came out the other side, hauling ass across the yard. Me throwing 230grs of friendliness at it and the dog hot on his ass.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Curious - 04/07/18
One time, a porcupine way up in a pine tree on my land in MN. An H&R 999, nine shot. Shot at it and it did not come down. Reloaded shot again, was not empty when it did fall, yet might have been 13. Porcupines can be tough little buggers.
Posted By: kellory Re: Curious - 04/07/18
Bullets? Who needs Bullets? (Wished I'd had 'em)
I took out the trash, one night to the large alley dumpsters. I was more concerned with 2 legged predators than 4 legged. I opened the lid, and a pack of raccoons erupted from the interior!
I had only a sledge hammer handle as a defense, and I broke that! 4 of 5 left thier earthly bodies behind that day, and the 5th ran for it's life. I could never count the blows I landed in that dance of death.

(Reminds me of this scene a bit.... wink

https://youtu.be/wiPK3Ij6QMQ
Posted By: JPro Re: Curious - 04/07/18
I once put 6 .22lr rounds in a possum that was cornered on the welcome mat by the rat terriers. I knew it was going to suck when I heard the first pop. I’d grabbed loose ammo that turned out to be CB Longs......

My cajun neighbor once got spooked by a noise in his carport and investigated with a pointed Warren hoe. Armadillo ran at him, he impaled it, and then he panicked and chucked the whole squirming mess in the lake.
Posted By: Owl Re: Curious - 04/07/18
Originally Posted by jwp475

Has anyone taken more than 13 round to kill an animal with a handgun?

Ya, but I missed 12 times...

I once killed a badger when I was about 14. Shot it with a .22 LR from about 50-60 yards away. I don't recall how many times I shot it, but it was determined to live. Don't think it was 13 rounds, but had to be at least 8-10 shots.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Curious - 04/07/18
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Well that's just real nice, Webster. Here we are pouring our hearts out about slinging more lead through a 'diller than the shell would hold, and you come along with your "32 S&W Long. One shot, down and done." I don't doubt you did it, no Sir, not at all. But you really need to go dig that damn thing up and shoot it a half- dozen more times so the rest of us don't feel so bad.

wink

Well Sarge, that was last one I've shot. Over the years I've killed many with .22, 20ga shotgun, 12ga shotgun 7.62x39 AR. Some have jumped and rolled, some ran a short distance but most just fell over. Obviously MO 'dillars take more killen.
Posted By: hacklewrap01 Re: Curious - 04/07/18
I killed more than 30 sw MO armadillos on my place, last year. This year, only 2, so far.
I shoot them with whatever I've got on me. Sometimes they die with one round from a
.22 pistol, usually they get 2 or even 3. Sometimes they don't die with 4 from a .45.
One was shot 3 times with a .38 special, and I swear from the dent in the garage door,
the cast bullet bounced off him. My old .44 hasn't failed, yet. One hit has always worked.
I have better luck when they're facing away, than facing me. The .22 pistols seem as
good as .22 rifles, or as bad. Something weird, about those armadillos. Humiliation has
decreased with waiting 'til dark, and using a varmint light on a .223 rifle.
Posted By: deflave Re: Curious - 04/07/18

LMAO.

Travis
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Curious - 04/07/18
I once had a little rodeo involving around 18 rounds of rnfp 45 Colt, a 6 point, and after way too much excitement, a 308 round.

If that kind of thing was even close to normal, I would never hunt again.

When we skinned that poor buck, we found two 6mm bullets in the shoulder. He was one tough SOB.

One night I shot car hit deer 2 or three times in the head with a 380. Neither one of us was too impressed.
It would knock him out, I thought he was dead, then he revived. The last time he went out, he got knife stuck.
Interesting deal,I took him home to eat. When we skinned him, the only damage was broken ribs like someone gave him a good punch.
He was down and could barely move, so I finished him. That's not kosher here, and in hindsight, was a mistake.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Curious - 04/08/18

----ZINGGGG---->
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Curious - 04/09/18
Rodeo bull with a broken back took a full mag from a .380 Kel-tec before I went back to the truck for the .45. Killed a chicken stealing red fox running across a pasture with a PMR-30. Hit him 3 times, but emptied the gun.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Curious - 04/09/18
You guys using .380s for steers and deers should consider keeping some Buffalo Bore hard cast handy for dispatch duty. I'd be extremely surprised if that round bounced off a rib or failed to cause a traumatic brain injury.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Curious - 04/09/18
So, it sounds like armadillos are pretty tough?
Posted By: hacklewrap01 Re: Curious - 04/09/18
Yeah, they are, except the ones that aren't. Some DRT, some keep on ticking. But they
all need a good shooting, no matter how they react or how many hits it takes. Unlike
MT rattlesnakes and bears, which should never be harmed, because "bears eat sheep,
and snakes get the herders", MO armadillos serve no good purpose.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Curious - 04/09/18
If you look at an armadillo skeletal structure, and you can do that without taking one apart, you'll see that the spine is located way lower in the body than it appears to be from the outside. If I ever have to bust another one I'm going to shoot him about a third lower than I would hold on anything else.

My Jethro Bodine ballistics test for any pistol I'm likely to use against an animal, regardless of leg count, is to duct tape a beef rib to a gallon jug of water with two to three more behind it, backed by an old Brownells Catalog or phone book. I can tell you that the Winchester 95 grain Full Metal Jacket flat point from a Ruger LCP will bust through the rib, drag rib fragments through the first jug and shoot through another one behind it.

Of course anytime you're shooting through hide covered bone, be it a skull or whatever, you better hit it straight on.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Curious - 04/09/18
I like that, Jethro.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Curious - 04/09/18
Your's reads similar to my story. At the shot the armadillo jumped up about 2 feet (they always seem to do that), than ran straight at me with blood spraying out.

My riding mower was parked next to me and the deck was raised. Armadillo made it under the deck, messed around for a few seconds and came out the other side, hauling ass across the yard. Me throwing 230grs of friendliness at it and the dog hot on his ass.

laugh laugh laugh
© 24hourcampfire