-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I once put 6 .22lr rounds in a possum that was cornered on the welcome mat by the rat terriers. I knew it was going to suck when I heard the first pop. I’d grabbed loose ammo that turned out to be CB Longs......

My cajun neighbor once got spooked by a noise in his carport and investigated with a pointed Warren hoe. Armadillo ran at him, he impaled it, and then he panicked and chucked the whole squirming mess in the lake.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Has anyone taken more than 13 round to kill an animal with a handgun?

Ya, but I missed 12 times...

I once killed a badger when I was about 14. Shot it with a .22 LR from about 50-60 yards away. I don't recall how many times I shot it, but it was determined to live. Don't think it was 13 rounds, but had to be at least 8-10 shots.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Well that's just real nice, Webster. Here we are pouring our hearts out about slinging more lead through a 'diller than the shell would hold, and you come along with your "32 S&W Long. One shot, down and done." I don't doubt you did it, no Sir, not at all. But you really need to go dig that damn thing up and shoot it a half- dozen more times so the rest of us don't feel so bad.

wink

Well Sarge, that was last one I've shot. Over the years I've killed many with .22, 20ga shotgun, 12ga shotgun 7.62x39 AR. Some have jumped and rolled, some ran a short distance but most just fell over. Obviously MO 'dillars take more killen.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I killed more than 30 sw MO armadillos on my place, last year. This year, only 2, so far.
I shoot them with whatever I've got on me. Sometimes they die with one round from a
.22 pistol, usually they get 2 or even 3. Sometimes they don't die with 4 from a .45.
One was shot 3 times with a .38 special, and I swear from the dent in the garage door,
the cast bullet bounced off him. My old .44 hasn't failed, yet. One hit has always worked.
I have better luck when they're facing away, than facing me. The .22 pistols seem as
good as .22 rifles, or as bad. Something weird, about those armadillos. Humiliation has
decreased with waiting 'til dark, and using a varmint light on a .223 rifle.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

It’s more of a contest, that I think you can win.

LMAO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I once had a little rodeo involving around 18 rounds of rnfp 45 Colt, a 6 point, and after way too much excitement, a 308 round.

If that kind of thing was even close to normal, I would never hunt again.

When we skinned that poor buck, we found two 6mm bullets in the shoulder. He was one tough SOB.

One night I shot car hit deer 2 or three times in the head with a 380. Neither one of us was too impressed.
It would knock him out, I thought he was dead, then he revived. The last time he went out, he got knife stuck.
Interesting deal,I took him home to eat. When we skinned him, the only damage was broken ribs like someone gave him a good punch.
He was down and could barely move, so I finished him. That's not kosher here, and in hindsight, was a mistake.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

It’s more of a contest, that I think you can win.

----ZINGGGG---->

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rodeo bull with a broken back took a full mag from a .380 Kel-tec before I went back to the truck for the .45. Killed a chicken stealing red fox running across a pasture with a PMR-30. Hit him 3 times, but emptied the gun.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys using .380s for steers and deers should consider keeping some Buffalo Bore hard cast handy for dispatch duty. I'd be extremely surprised if that round bounced off a rib or failed to cause a traumatic brain injury.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
So, it sounds like armadillos are pretty tough?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yeah, they are, except the ones that aren't. Some DRT, some keep on ticking. But they
all need a good shooting, no matter how they react or how many hits it takes. Unlike
MT rattlesnakes and bears, which should never be harmed, because "bears eat sheep,
and snakes get the herders", MO armadillos serve no good purpose.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you look at an armadillo skeletal structure, and you can do that without taking one apart, you'll see that the spine is located way lower in the body than it appears to be from the outside. If I ever have to bust another one I'm going to shoot him about a third lower than I would hold on anything else.

My Jethro Bodine ballistics test for any pistol I'm likely to use against an animal, regardless of leg count, is to duct tape a beef rib to a gallon jug of water with two to three more behind it, backed by an old Brownells Catalog or phone book. I can tell you that the Winchester 95 grain Full Metal Jacket flat point from a Ruger LCP will bust through the rib, drag rib fragments through the first jug and shoot through another one behind it.

Of course anytime you're shooting through hide covered bone, be it a skull or whatever, you better hit it straight on.

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/09/18.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like that, Jethro.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Your's reads similar to my story. At the shot the armadillo jumped up about 2 feet (they always seem to do that), than ran straight at me with blood spraying out.

My riding mower was parked next to me and the deck was raised. Armadillo made it under the deck, messed around for a few seconds and came out the other side, hauling ass across the yard. Me throwing 230grs of friendliness at it and the dog hot on his ass.

laugh laugh laugh

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,879
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.