Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12771801 04/04/18
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Has anyone taken more than 13 round to kill an animal with a handgun?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Isn't this a "callout thread"?

Hypocrite.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It’s more of a contest, that I think you can win.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, at my age, and as best as I can recall . . .

It was a dinosaur and I was throwing rocks.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

👍

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My highest count is 10. Sent a 22/45 magazine's worth of ammo into the north end of a south bound armadillo as he was digging by the foundation of my house. If I'd of had another magazine it would have been 20. I was slightly peeved at him.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Took me 16 rounds of 9mm to finish off a car hit deer one night. 11 connected, the others went off into the forest. The one shoulder was busted up but the other three legs worked well enough to keep it at the limit of the 4 D-cell flashlight I had 30 years ago. It was also asking a bit much of the standard HPs one found back then to drive far enough forward into a quartering away deer to reach vitals.
It would have been fewer rounds if the gal who hit it would have stayed in her car and not run over to the deer yelling, "It's over here," and then continued to chase it as I was trying to angle toward it for a better shot.

Should not have offered to put it down when I called the dispatcher and left a deputy or warden deal with the gal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watched a guy put about 4 rounds into a deer's head at contact distance with some POS 9mm and what I think were cast reloads. The mule deer doe was down from a marginal hit but still alive. He'd shoot, the deer would flinch or react to the hit but was still moving, so he'd shoot again until it finally died. It was pathetic.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
My highest count is 10. Sent a 22/45 magazine's worth of ammo into the north end of a south bound armadillo as he was digging by the foundation of my house. If I'd of had another magazine it would have been 20. I was slightly peeved at him.

Ironically, my story also involves an armadillo, along with a riding mower, a Brittany Spaniel, and 8 rounds of 45 ACP from a Colt Commander.

It was about as good a goat roping as a man could wish for.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No thank goodness. My handgun kills were one shot affairs which is a good thing because when you touch off a .357 magnum without ear protection, you don't want to have to do it a second time.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Ironically, my story also involves an armadillo, along with a riding mower, a Brittany Spaniel, and 8 rounds of 45 ACP from a Colt Commander.

lol...sounds like a recipe for one.

After sunset, not wanting to fire a round, I spent about 15 minutes trying to kill one with a rock at the end of a deer hunt season before last. My ninja skills ain't what they used to be....

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Six 44 spl. Woodchuck vs. Springer Spaniel, six 44spl. Raccoon vs. Spaniel both times would have used 13. The skunks have been one and done, dog loves this stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Those damn things ain't right. I shot one, looking straight at me uphill from 10 yards, with a 45 ACP using 225 grain lead flat points. Held real careful like, right between it's ears, to clip it's spine. It jumped straight up, sorta grunted and started hopping right for me. "You little somabish" I said as I flanked him and busted him again, right through the shoulders. That rolled him over and I could see that the first shot semi-eviscerated him. At this the little bastage started running in a circle, so I gave him #3 longways above that tail. That one settled his hash.

Next time I see one of those things on the place, I'm loading the old Auto 5 with slugs.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot the top off a Dilla's head with a 22 LR once that was digging a hole under our cabin. Took the top of his skull clean off and he started hopping like he was on a trampoline doing backflips slinging blood everywhere. In comes my old chocolate lab Rocky and she's trying to get ahold of him and having no luck with he teeth glancing off the shell and what have you. I had no idea even after killing dozens of the things that they had 17 quarts of blood in them. But I'd swear that's how much was all over that damn dog. smile

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Armadillos carry leprosy. Or that's what I've been told.

Steer clear of those 17 quarts of blood if you can.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Armadillo , 32 S&W Long. One shot, down and done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well that's just real nice, Webster. Here we are pouring our hearts out about slinging more lead through a 'diller than the shell would hold, and you come along with your "32 S&W Long. One shot, down and done." I don't doubt you did it, no Sir, not at all. But you really need to go dig that damn thing up and shoot it a half- dozen more times so the rest of us don't feel so bad.

wink

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Your's reads similar to my story. At the shot the armadillo jumped up about 2 feet (they always seem to do that), than ran straight at me with blood spraying out.

My riding mower was parked next to me and the deck was raised. Armadillo made it under the deck, messed around for a few seconds and came out the other side, hauling ass across the yard. Me throwing 230grs of friendliness at it and the dog hot on his ass.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One time, a porcupine way up in a pine tree on my land in MN. An H&R 999, nine shot. Shot at it and it did not come down. Reloaded shot again, was not empty when it did fall, yet might have been 13. Porcupines can be tough little buggers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullets? Who needs Bullets? (Wished I'd had 'em)
I took out the trash, one night to the large alley dumpsters. I was more concerned with 2 legged predators than 4 legged. I opened the lid, and a pack of raccoons erupted from the interior!
I had only a sledge hammer handle as a defense, and I broke that! 4 of 5 left thier earthly bodies behind that day, and the 5th ran for it's life. I could never count the blows I landed in that dance of death.

(Reminds me of this scene a bit.... wink

https://youtu.be/wiPK3Ij6QMQ

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,032
Posts18,500,580
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.