Home
Posted By: CRS 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/08/19
Looking to get another 1911 style 9mm pistol.

I already have a Sig 938 Ultra compact for cc and would like a bigger pistol to go with it.

Trying to decide if I should go full size 5 inch barrel or the 4 inch commander size. This gun will spend a lot of time in the truck and on the hiking trail. Whichever one I choose, plan is to take some kind of pistol course with it.

Any and all comments appreciated.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/08/19
Just curious as to why you want a 1911 style 9mm for a truck and hiking gun? I've got a Colt 1911 5" in 9mm and it shoots great. But, because of mag capacity, I don't consider using it for anything other than a range gun. You could get higher capacity in a 2011 style (double stack) and still have a "1911 style" gun.
Posted By: Waders Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/08/19
Originally Posted by CRS
Looking to get another 1911 style 9mm pistol.

I already have a Sig 938 Ultra compact for cc and would like a bigger pistol to go with it.

Trying to decide if I should go full size 5 inch barrel or the 4 inch commander size. This gun will spend a lot of time in the truck and on the hiking trail. Whichever one I choose, plan is to take some kind of pistol course with it.

Any and all comments appreciated.

My two cents:

Get the gun that tickles your fancy. The real-world differences between a 4", 4.25" and 5" 9mm 1911 are: up to 1" of barrel/slide length and about 3 oz of weight on steel frame guns. With the 4" gun you'll also lose the estimated 35 fps of muzzle velocity. None of that is going to affect what you do.

In 1911's, I have a 5" 9mm, a 5" 45 ACP, a 4" 45 ACP, and a 3" 45 ACP. My shooting pard has a 5" 9mm, and a 4.25" 9mm. I have shot them all quite a bit. The "portability" and weight savings of the 4" and 4.25" guns is pretty much unnoticeable--Any place you're willing to take a commander size gun, you'd have no issue taking a full size gun. The longer sight radius of 5" guns helps me when shooting iron sights. I also like green Crimson Trace laser grips. (Red lasers, while cheaper, are often useless in normal daylight conditions. They are fine inside, however.)

So I'll conclude as I began: Get whatever tickles your fancy.

(P.S. As for 9mm 1911 magazines, my Tripp Research have been flawless, and they come with a base pad. Kimber mags have also functioned 100%. I have two MecGar mags and sent one back, because it don't lock the slide after the last round. MecGar gave me no grief--they paid shipping both ways and swapped out the mag without a fuss. Since then, both MecGars have also run 100%)

Good luck in your decision!
Posted By: Gibby Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/08/19
Maybe this will tickle your fancy. For a good start.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col-combat-commander-9mm-425
Posted By: RJM Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/08/19
CRS...would suggest you find a good shop that has a Government, Combat Commander and Commander in stock and see how you like the balance. My favorite is the Commander that has an aluminum frame in .38 Super which is basically a 9mm on steroids... One can also switch out barrels to have a two caliber gun...

https://www.colt.com/series/COMPETITION_SERIES

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/wiley-clapp-commander-9mm-bl
Originally Posted by RJM
CRS...would suggest you find a good shop that has a Government, Combat Commander and Commander in stock and see how you like the balance. My favorite is the Commander that has an aluminum frame in .38 Super which is basically a 9mm on steroids... One can also switch out barrels to have a two caliber gun...

https://www.colt.com/series/COMPETITION_SERIES

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/wiley-clapp-commander-9mm-bl

I have both the WC LWC's in .45 and 9mm. Hard to beat for the money. If you have old eyes like me. There is no better sight matchup on these.

Like the saying goes. "Everything you need and nothing you don't"

Custom shop built and fitted. Need I say more.

(Colt's custom shop is a true custom shop. Not like the others.)
Posted By: RJM Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/08/19
Those WCs are sharp guns for the money...I just will never own one because they have a checkered frontstrap....

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM
Those WCs are sharp guns for the money...I just will never own one because they have a checkered frontstrap....

Bob

I like the frontstrap for a carry gun. Not so much for a range gun.
Posted By: CRS Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/08/19
Thanks for all the replies, I want a 9mm as that is what I am set up to reload for, even though not necessary at this time with all the inexpensive ammo available. I prefer 1911 style controls as that is what I am very familiar with, and grew up shooting since the 80's.

Originally Posted by RyanTX
Just curious as to why you want a 1911 style 9mm for a truck and hiking gun? I've got a Colt 1911 5" in 9mm and it shoots great. But, because of mag capacity, I don't consider using it for anything other than a range gun. You could get higher capacity in a 2011 style (double stack) and still have a "1911 style" gun.

I will certainly look into the 2011 design.
Look at the Springfield loaded, I'm running Trip research and Wilson combat mags with good reliability!
Posted By: CRS Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/09/19
I made it to a Cabelas tonight to look at some pistols.

RIA double stack combo gun of 9mm and 22 tcm. Felt like an anchor.
The Sig Sauer Scorpion in 45 was better. Would have liked to compare the fastback model even though it does not come in 9mm.
A standard Colt Commander in 45 that felt pretty good too. But not a lightweight, and would like to handle one of those.
Kimber Aegis grips dug into my hands.

I did go through the Glock routine just in case something had changed, but the 1911's felt soooo much better.

I did not have time to make it to the "good gun store" maybe next week. Hopefully they have a lightweight Commander in 9, or better yet a Wiley Clap light weight.
Do yourself a favor and check out the Springfield Armory EMP.

It's aprox. 7/8 scale of a full size 1911, and is designed around the 9MM Luger.

I have one in a 4" and am extremely pleased with it. It holds 10+1

Virgil B.
I have a Wiley Clapp LWC in 9m/m. I really like the gun for shooting steel plates. I had a little trouble with the sites in load development off of sand bags. The rear site is a little wide for target shooting. But it’s fine for what it’s designed for. Defense shooting. Hasbeen
I have a full size Springfield Loaded model. This is supposedly a target gun, but the trigger was terrible. A spring kit and some tuning did wonders. A good gun for the $$$$$$.
Posted By: RJM Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/10/19
"RIA double stack combo gun of 9mm and 22 tcm. Felt like an anchor."

...except for playing gun games or a deployment to the SandBox one really doesn't need a 1911 that hold more that 10 rounds. The DS 1911s fit the hand as well as most Glocks and that is to say they don't fit most peoples hands very well at all....

Besides the WC Commander you may also want to look at the Dan Wessons...

Light weight..
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803055763

All stainless...
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803091278
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

It's aprox. 7/8 scale of a full size 1911, and is designed around the 9MM Luger.

Virgil B.

Beat me to it..........+1
Posted By: CRS Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/10/19
Will the Dan Wesson be a higher quality pistol vs Colt off the shelf? Or very comparable to the WC LW model?
a DW 1911 is about as nice as you can buy across the counter , yes , Id say better made than Colt
Last weekend I also took the plunge on a 9mm 1911 and bought the Colt Competition Gvt. The stainless one with the blue grip panels. I have it at the gunsmith to have an ambi safety but on as I'm southpaw and want that feature.

I also order to Chip McCormick Range Pro 10-round magazines for it as I read good reviews on them. Can't wait to get it back and see how it does.
Posted By: CRS Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/18/19
Made the rounds to the gun shops over the weekend.

I was able to handle a DW ECP and a bunch of others. They had sold the WC LW Colt during the week.

Out of everything I handled the DW ECP and surprisingly a Kimber Aegis handled and came up the best for me.

Any reason to steer clear of Kimber?

I appreciate all the suggestions so far.
Posted By: Waders Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/18/19
Originally Posted by CRS
Any reason to steer clear of Kimber?

My bias says there's no reason to steer clear of Kimber 1911's. I currently own 4 of them (3 in .45 ACP and 1 9mm) and have owned several others back when I used to wheel and deal a bit. They all functioned perfectly. I never have had any problems with any of them.

It's kind of cool to hate on Kimber, but I don't think their quality control is any better or any worse than any other manufacturer. Historically, the biggest negative against Kimber has been their price--in terms of functionality you can get the same amount of gun for less money with other makers. Kimber uses a plastic mainspring housing and they only ship with one magazine. For the money, they should ship with two.

But...you can't deny that Kimbers are good looking!
Posted By: CRS Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/18/19
Appreciate the info. I do not wheel and deal pistols. Rifles are another story...…

This will be a long term purchase. I want to make sure I get a pistol that I like and the ergonomics are right for me.

Every pistol I own has been in the house for many years. With the exception of one I bought last year, and plan on having around awhile.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Virgil B.

Beat me to it..........+1

I do like the feel of these in the regular frame and the concealed carry version.
Posted By: RJM Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/18/19
I've had two of the Kimber Aegis 9mm, the original small size guns before they came out with the larger models... Both shot excellent and were 100% reliable. Both went to friends who still have and carry them...

Bob
CRS- I’ve been looking at 1911 platform 9mm’s as well.

The DW Guardian has been my favorite with the Springfield Contour EMP 4 right behind it. Just fingered them, have not shot either.

Post up with whatever you end up with.
Posted By: CRS Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/19/19
I will certainly post up when I make he decision. Have not been able to handle the DW Guardian nor the EMP. None in stock around here. Will not be buying anything until I can handle both.
Played with a Ruger LW commander and a Colt LW Commander today. Both in 9mm.

Colt was niiiiiiiiice. Ruger was as well. Actually like the Ruger quite a bit but the price point is about the same as the Colt. Hard to turn down a Colt for about the same money. Nice triggers on both.
I’ve been eyeballing the Springfield EMP carry contour in 9mm. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but fondled a few. I really like the idea of one.
Local LGS had a used Dan Wesson Valkyrie 9mm for $900 several months back. Probably could have got it for around $800. Really liked that gun. It was the middle of the month and I'd just paid all my bills and was waiting for second wave of monthly income. I knew it wouldn't last long and sure enough, it didn't. Another guy walked in with $800 cash and walked out with it. Very nice gun for that money.
That's why financial advisors recommend putting away a couple months income; for emergencies like that.
surprised nobody mentioned this:

https://www.remington.com/handguns/model-1911-r1/1911-r1-limited-double-stack
.38 Super is way cooler than a 9mm in a 1911. Save the 9mm for plastic guns.
Originally Posted by RJM

you may also want to look at the Dan Wessons...

Light weight..
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803055763

All stainless...
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803091278

The Dan Wesson's are superb............a little pricey if that's an issue, but with outstanding fit & finish in a simple execution w/o a lot of roll marks & generally the best triggers on a stock, non-full custom 1911 that you will find.

The lightweight Commander sized version is simply an outstanding pistol & if you can find a good new or used Guardian version, I like it better than the new version...........mainly the sights are different.

Like this one: Guardian

The Scandium framed S&W E-Series round butt is also an outstanding piece, highly reliable & has no internal trigger or firing pin safeties (neither does the DW) & feels great in the hand.

MM

S&W Scandium

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CRS Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/21/19
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

MCH, I have never had to worry about being cool! grin

The Dan Wesson's are high on my list, just do not seem to be many around here to check ergo's. That smith look's awful blingy to me, I am not much of a blingy guy either. grin
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

MCH, I have never had to worry about being cool! grin

The Dan Wesson's are high on my list, just do not seem to be many around here to check ergo's. That smith look's awful blingy to me, I am not much of a blingy guy either. grin

Have you shot the two? To me the .38 Super was made for the 1911.
Have never shot a 38 super.

Buying the 1911 style because of familiarity and the 9mm for economy.
Priorities are ergonomics, function and quality.
Originally Posted by CRS
That smith look's awful blingy to me, I am not much of a blingy guy either. grin

Get with it, man.........blah is blah.

Seriously, probably looks moreso in the pic than real life, but it also comes with a black slide as well.

But, actually, I like the stainless slide...........it just really shows no holster wear at all & the gun points extremely well.

MM
Why not just get a Hi power?
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by CRS
That smith look's awful blingy to me, I am not much of a blingy guy either. grin

Get with it, man.........blah is blah.

Seriously, probably looks moreso in the pic than real life, but it also comes with a black slide as well.

But, actually, I like the stainless slide...........it just really shows no holster wear at all & the gun points extremely well.

MM

I will certainly handle a S&W too. I am in no hurry, and will look at all the options. I not a pistol fanatic, that is why I came here asking for all the suggestions and where to start.
Originally Posted by CRS

1911 ergonomics don't change much. Function and Quality you get what you pay for. You should shoot the .38 Super I think you will like it a lot.
Posted By: Waders Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/21/19
Originally Posted by CRS

I don't know what stage of life you're at, but I passed on a 1911 .38 Super because it's, obviously, a handloader's proposition and I barely have enough time to load for the rounds I currently shoot. For a range toy, the 9mm is great, and in a 1911 you'll have plenty of cool factor over the "black plastic" crowd.
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by CRS

I don't know what stage of life you're at, but I passed on a 1911 .38 Super because it's, obviously, a handloader's proposition and I barely have enough time to load for the rounds I currently shoot. For a range toy, the 9mm is great, and in a 1911 you'll have plenty of cool factor over the "black plastic" crowd.

Hmm I don't reload. No time for that. I never had a problem getting .38 Super ammo
I just sold a 38 Super mostly because I didn’t reload for it and when I stopped by a store to get a few boxes to go shoot they often didn’t have any in stock. When they did it wasn’t cheap.

I will say it seems to be more common the last few years. Choice is slim and usually hardball though. I suppose I could have planned ahead a bit and ordered bulk off the innerwebs when it was on sale.

9 is definitely the common sense choice for bulk ammo. And truthfully, some of the factory +p+ stuff is damn near 38 Super velocity anyway.

The Super is pretty fugkin cool though. Kinda regret selling mine already!
For a more or less dedicated carry gun that's not intended as an everyday range toy, the 38 Super is a great choice, but the cheapest ball ammo is going to cost you at least $.30/round. At least.

So if you want to use it regularly & frequently at the range, it's either going to cost you a pile, or you'd better be into reloading.

9mm is readily availble for 2/3 that cost.

But a 1911 was intended to be a 45 ACP, just sayin'. grin

MM
Posted By: CRS Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/22/19
I am set on a 9mm as I have the reloading supplies for it if needed. Plus I am stocked pretty well for ammo from already owning a Sig 938.

In all honesty, if I was going bigger than a 9, I would skip the super and go straight to a 10mm. The 9 makes way more sense for me.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I just sold a 38 Super mostly because I didn’t reload for it and when I stopped by a store to get a few boxes to go shoot they often didn’t have any in stock. When they did it wasn’t cheap.

I will say it seems to be more common the last few years. Choice is slim and usually hardball though. I suppose I could have planned ahead a bit and ordered bulk off the innerwebs when it was on sale.

9 is definitely the common sense choice for bulk ammo. And truthfully, some of the factory +p+ stuff is damn near 38 Super velocity anyway.

The Super is pretty fugkin cool though. Kinda regret selling mine already!

Agree you have to buy bulk. 9mm is cheaper and more options for sure. I have both but my 9mm's are plastic and a 92F.
Posted By: RJM Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/23/19
Nice thing about having a 1911 in Super or 9mm is that with the addition of a second barrel you can shoot both rounds from the same gun...
Posted By: CRS Re: 1911 style 9mm input please - 03/24/19
S&W Scandium comes in 45, not 9mm.

Found a Browning Hi-Power at a LGS yesterday. Doing research, and letting them know tomorrow. Ergos are right up there with better 1911's I have handled. Comes up nice, has been shot but does not look to be wore out. Original case and papers with three clips. Asking $850 which seem a skosh high IMO.

Looking for any reason to steer clear. Read some disparaging comments on the trigger system? I am a KISS subscriber.

Are 1911's a more simple design vs the Hi Power?
© 24hourcampfire