Home
Posted By: hunter4623 Grail Gun? - 03/15/19
What’s your Grail gun and have you gotten it yet? Pics please.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/15/19
Just bought it today, pics coming smile
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Grail Gun? - 03/15/19
Yep.

And best with these grips(tried several).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She's a PEACH.................
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by hunter4623

Savage pistol in 25 ACP. Have not seen one and am unlikely to ever see one let alone buy one.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Grail Gun? - 03/15/19

I have several definitions leading to different choices. I've filled 2 of the niches.

1) S&W 329PD. I backpack a fair bit in summer and there's no competition for an accurate, 25 ounce, .44 magnum for that role.

2) Ruger Blackhawk "Buckeye Special" .38-40 / 10mm. IMHO the perfect deer revolver.

There's another niche I may have filled but there are so many potential contenders / upgrades possible that no matter how good my current gun does, it could be replaced.

3) Ruger Mk III 5.5" barreled target .22 semi-auto. Mine got the whole selection of Volquartsen parts available at the time. Light, consistent trigger .. empty shotgun shells and bottle caps at 75 yards are in trouble. I could possibly see replacing with an older K frame 6" or a S&W 41, but not much else, and no real reason to.

No pictures, sorry. These are nothing too special, they just work for me, and you can find pictures of them online.

Tom
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/15/19
Every one I own at one time was top of the list. Now I’ve got a couple I would not mind owning. But I’m willing to wait on the one I like with the best price. Hasbeen
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/15/19
No I don't have it, may never even be for sale either, it's that damn big 500 magnum revolver with the beautiful wood grips Whitworth posted a pick of, damn near fell outta my chair.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Grail Gun? - 03/15/19
As soon as I get a grail gun I probably will have another grail gun that I haven't gotten yet. If I hit the Powerball there are several that would suffice. Absolute tops would probably be a Colt SAA, 1st generation in pristine condition, either Colt or New York engraving with full coverage in either nickel plate or silver washed. Hopefully original or very old grips with ivory being the most desirable. If not available, an engraved, pristine Winchester model of 1866. If either of these weren't available an American or 1st model Russian Smith and Wesson #3 single action, pristine and engraved again, with ivories.

I already own two of these, not pristine but decent and unengraved. The Smith even has the ivories. Photobucket has my pics held hostage but a lot of folks have seen them before. Both '66s I've owned got traded off.
Posted By: mart Re: Grail Gun? - 03/15/19
I need to put some better grips on it but these are the ones it came with. I always wanted a Linebaugh built 500 Linebaugh. I bought it used a couple of years ago. The workmanship is unbelievable on a Linebaugh revolver. They lock up like a vault. They truly are tremendous power in a very packable revolver.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJM Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
My favorite semi-auto is a Colt Commander in .38 Super....have two that have been my carry guns since 1980. I was born in 1952...and they were made in 1952.. About 6 years ago a local auction house and NIB 1952 Commander in .38 Super that was factory engraved. Went to the auction...in house bidding stopped at $2600...I was high bidder. Then a phone bidder started...I had to quit when the next bid would have put me at $4K with the Buyer's Premium....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My favorite DA revolver is a 4" S&W Model 57 .41 Magnum...have collected a 4" 1964 first year of production, 1980, and two Class A factory engraved... Also managed to get a 4" 657 stainless and 4" Mountain Gun... The only one I missed was another auction gun... Bill Jordan had been given one of the first 4" 57s made along with a pair that Elmer Keit received. When he died Rex Applegate ended up with his gun.. When he died the gun went up for auction.... Had the money, should have bid and didn't. No clue what it went for but one of the gun writers, Leroy Thompson, bought it as I saw it in one of his articles on .41s...

[Linked Image]

I'm happy with the Grail Guns I have but sure would have liked to added the other two....Bob
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Yep.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice combo.

I'm not sure of what a grail gun might be, but if another Silver/Chrome HiPower in excellent shape ever crosses my path, I'm on it. Had one once. Stupidlysoldit. Regretted it ever since.
Posted By: EdM Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Probably the first revolver I bought at age 17 in 1978 and later worked over by S&W due to a barrel issue. My 5" full lug M29-2.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Have it. I believe its the only one to exist

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moosemike Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Maximum. My uncle had one right up til his passing and now my cousin has it.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Don't remember a Grail gun, but they did have the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. (1970s reference!)
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
if I was to only be able to have one......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
My Grail has always been a 3 1/2" Pre-27. About a month ago, I got real close, and picked up a 6 1/2" version. The more I mess with it, the more I'm OK with the longer tube.
Posted By: deflave Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Have it. I believe its the only one to exist

[Linked Image]

Oh my!
Yep.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Your pictures suck.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
I had a Nickle BHP and liked looking at it...but the hammer chewed my mitts hard and it went away.

My 41 is now Skookum.................
Posted By: TheKid Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
I would really like to have a Registered Magnum someday. Part of me really wants a 3.5” to play Gman but honestly I’d be fine with about any length as long as it’s factory. They could be ordered with any length between 3.5”-8.75” in 1/8” increments so there’s a myriad of possibilities.

Another one I would like is a Model of 1950 .45 Target. Short cylinder ACP guns with 6.5” barrels but they are the skinny barrels, same profile as the 27 and 38/44 Outdoorsman. I’m not crazy about the 1955s due to their heavy barrels, they just don’t have the balance of the 1950s and I passed up a nice one last week for that reason.

When I lived in AK a friend sold an awesome New Service Target in 44 Russian and Special. Adjustable sights, the fancy checkered stocks, and at least %85 original finish. I’m not a big Colt guy, prefer the lock work and feel of S&W, but that thing was awesome. I heard last week that it’s available again but I’m sure it’s more than I can afford without selling something I don’t want to sell.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
None for me. I'm happy.
I had a Nickle BHP and liked looking at it...but the hammer chewed my mitts hard and it went away.

No Bite ring or skeleton hammer from The Mustache cures that and improves triggers. Couple it with their sear and lob the mag safety in the bay for the win. Skip the connector, requires machine work on the slide and isn’t necessary.

Love me some HPs.
BHP's NEED a Beavertail,ala Cylinder & Slide or the ilk.

Hint...............
Posted By: Robb10238 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
I have two grail guns so far. The first is an old model Ruger remade by Bowen into a #5 gun complete with the #5 base pin latch and Paul Persinger carved ivories and the second is also by Hamilton and it is a lightweight package on a USFA gun with ivories by the late Jim Alimo (sp) of Nutmeg Sports and engraving by Brian Powley.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I’ve welded and shaped beavertails onto them before, still don’t really dig it. I don’t have catcher’s mitt hands either though. Laughridge of C&S is “The Mustache” BTW, good dude with great wares.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Someday I’d like to have a S&W 60-4.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve welded and shaped beavertails onto them before, still don’t really dig it. I don’t have catcher’s mitt hands either though. Laughridge of C&S is “The Mustache” BTW, good dude with great wares.
[Linked Image]

That's really nice.
Posted By: RGK Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Colt 2nd gen .357. Not really difficult to find, if you want to pay thru the nose. I wanted a nice one, so I bought a mint NRA commemorative (much cheaper) and had Alan Harton put an extra barrel I had on it, then fit some 2nd gen stocks to the frame. He then tuned the action. It shoots to point of aim at 25 yards with 158 grain HPs and .38 wadcutters. I'm happy.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's a before pic:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
I have mine.

SIG P210

Freedom Arms .22lr/.22Mag

Korth .357Mag/9mm
Posted By: 79S Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
When it matters only the best for me..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Oh, great, something else i gotta have...😳

Probably something modest: a 2nd gen colt saa 44-40, 5.5”, nice, solid, but shooter grade. Have had one in my mitts a few times over, priced accurately but were collector condition and price, and can’t bring self to shoot the sheet out of one of those, it’ll be gone forever.

Someday it’ll line up. Likely well before gunner calls out of the blue to sell me that London best .303 brit sxs. Not now, dammit, my fire’s full of irons.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19

It might not be my "grail gun", but one I've wanted for many years. It's tighter than my Guncrafter and RRA and comparable to a few Hillsdale Baers I've owned and has more hand-numbered fitted parts. Love the 20 LPI checkering.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 257heaven Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by Robb10238
I have two grail guns so far. The first is an old model Ruger remade by Bowen into a #5 gun complete with the #5 base pin latch and Paul Persinger carved ivories and the second is also by Hamilton and it is a lightweight package on a USFA gun with ivories by the late Jim Alimo (sp) of Nutmeg Sports and engraving by Brian Powley.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Damn! Fine revolvers...both! I'm pining for some Ivories just like that!
Posted By: jpb Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Don't remember a Grail gun, but they did have the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. (1970s reference!)

Mike
If you even find yourself needing to use it, remember that thou shall count to three. No more. No less. Five is right out.

John
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Mine was an early, pre-WWI, 1911 Colt Gov't Model. Scratched that itch last month, and it wasn't cheap. After running the gamut of 1911's in various iterations from various manufacturers through the years I wanted to get back to basics. I'm glad I did- it's kind of refreshing in a way.
Originally Posted by Robb10238
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those are great.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
I'll have to think about this for a while.

No Bite ring or skeleton hammer from The Mustache cures that and improves triggers. Couple it with their sear and lob the mag safety in the bay for the win. Skip the connector, requires machine work on the slide and isn’t necessary.

Love me some HPs.

I roll BHP's low in the mitt and simply take the scar tissue in toll.

Killed more than a few Brownies,that were in a foul mood with same.

Am endeared to the platform,due them merits...despite the shortcomings.....................
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Model 41, and
45 Colt Mountain Gun.

I keep looking for a bargin, I just need to buy them.

The 41 will never happen. I just cant justify the cost for my use.

But damn, the ones I've shot,

I couldnt miss.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
If I have a grail gun it would be a S&W .38-44 Heavy Duty, 4 or 5 inch, blue or (preferably) nickel. The same configuration of a Model 28 as well. Neither is really impossible to find, just a matter of spending the time and money. Not a good time now, as we are getting ready to get out of this God-forsaken state and move South, also sending a boy off to college in the fall and his brother right behind him the following year.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
I'm not a collector, so my "grail" is the right gun with some history and the cosmetic blemishes to prove it, plus a perfect bore and mechanicals.

I'm not an automatic guy at all--all five-speed and six-speed "manuals" for me.

So far my best buys are a 4" round butt S&W 651 "Stainless Magnum Kit Gun" w/red ramp front, and a Colt "New Service," 44-40 w/7 1/2" bbl. and old stags, made in 1914. Outside has character; inside is pristine. And she shoots the same loads as my '92 short rifle very well. Now I'd like a .38-40 NS or Bisley to go with my Win 1885 High Wall in that caliber (that's right, HIGH Wall).

In spite of my general aversion to autos, the First Model Colt "Woodsman Sport" that "Huntsman22" showed is one of the best small carry pistols ever made. I have a plain, worn one that is a great companion when I'm wandering and just feel like carrying "something." The only caveat I have for those is that they need to have the marking on the front strap that has parallel lines on it, NOT the earlier one with crosshatched lines. The latter are too early for modern high velocity .22 LRs, not to mention Stingers or Velocitors.

Sorry, I'm picher illiterate.
Posted By: LJBass Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
1) Triple Lock 44 special.

2) S&W #3 in 44 Russian

3) Freedom Arms 44 Mag.

I'ld even throw a SAA 44 special on the list...

Probably in that order, and I'm poor enough, blue or nickel wouldn't matter, sights, or barrel length. Would just like to have a decent example in condition to shoot occasionally.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Oh, great, something else i gotta have...😳

Probably something modest: a 2nd gen colt saa 44-40, 5.5”, nice, solid, but shooter grade. Have had one in my mitts a few times over, priced accurately but were collector condition and price, and can’t bring self to shoot the sheet out of one of those, it’ll be gone forever.

Someday it’ll line up. Likely well before gunner calls out of the blue to sell me that London best .303 brit sxs. Not now, dammit, my fire’s full of irons.

LOL Doc, I noticed that at the Tennessee pig shoot, if you'd have mentioned it, you may have wrote a check and left with that 303 Brit double rifle, my Colt SAA 45 and that A5 Belgian light twelve that you couldn't miss clay birds with. smile
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
I found my two grails; 1957 Smith 4" pre 29's in both colors:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I'm pining for some Ivories just like that!

I'd take a pair, but without the dairy cow.....
Originally Posted by mart
I need to put some better grips on it but these are the ones it came with. I always wanted a Linebaugh built 500 Linebaugh. I bought it used a couple of years ago. The workmanship is unbelievable on a Linebaugh revolver. They lock up like a vault. They truly are tremendous power in a very packable revolver.

[Linked Image]

That's a damn nice hand cannon Mart, congratulations! smile I'd love to shoot it.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Yessir. You’ve a knack for finding ‘em and appreciating them, clearly.

There are quality guns, high condition guns, rare guns, but they’re just guns in the end. Then there’s working art like that .303, likely traveled the world, built in dim lighting with tooling that’s considered antiquated today, by a small cadre of committed craftsman of modest stature but extraordinary commitment to say nothing of astounding talents. Belt-driven machinery. Hand to cutter, to file, to graver, to scraper. 6 months gestation to get there, maybe a year, and even then there will be minute dimensional “shortcomings” you’d never find in say a modern Blaser shotgun, whose cnc tolerances are so stringent every single part is plug-n-play, is perfect.

But the latter is just a machine money can buy, that’s all it’ll ever be. Scratch it, it’s worth 50% less. The first example, however, is live art and will always feel alive, and perfect in it’s own skin, and be a touchstone to craftsmanship and history worth reflecting on. Yes, a wealthy shiek can order one up today new from Holland & Holland for $400-500k - but won’t be the same. I’d save my pennies for the 120 year old version.

Haven’t quite put a finger on what that would translate to in a handgun, yet. Different bird. Still, lots of sweet handguns on folk’s grail list. Provenence is interesting amongst handguns i think, not because of scarcity but for the history and story attached where someone previously held that grip. And why.
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Yessir. You’ve a knack for finding ‘em and appreciating them, clearly.

There are quality guns, high condition guns, rare guns, but they’re just guns in the end. Then there’s working art like that .303, likely traveled the world, built in dim lighting with tooling that’s considered antiquated today, by a small cadre of committed craftsman of modest stature but extraordinary commitment to say nothing of astounding talents. Belt-driven machinery. Hand to cutter, to file, to graver, to scraper. 6 months gestation to get there, maybe a year, and even then there will be minute dimensional “shortcomings” you’d never find in say a modern Blaser shotgun, whose cnc tolerances are so stringent every single part is plug-n-play, is perfect.

But the latter is just a machine money can buy, that’s all it’ll ever be. Scratch it, it’s worth 50% less. The first example, however, is live art and will always feel alive, and perfect in it’s own skin, and be a touchstone to craftsmanship and history worth reflecting on. Yes, a wealthy shiek can order one up today new from Holland & Holland for $400-500k - but won’t be the same. I’d save my pennies for the 120 year old version.

Haven’t quite put a finger on what that would translate to in a handgun, yet. Different bird. Still, lots of sweet handguns on folk’s grail list. Provenence is interesting amongst handguns i think, not because of scarcity but for the history and story attached where someone previously held that grip. And why.

Dang Doc, that was deep, and oh so true.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Lots of nice guns here. Sandcritter, that’s very succinct and I feel the same way. I have a shop full of old tools and machines. There’s just something different about them. If only they could tell stories.
Posted By: mart Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by gunner500
That's a damn nice hand cannon Mart, congratulations! smile I'd love to shoot it.

Thank you sir. It's a handful with full throttle loads. I've been playing with some Trailboss and some 440 grain SWCs. Only about 750 fps but they ring steel with some surprising authority.I wouldn't be surprised but what that load would traverse a deer lengthwise. I did use it last year with a heavy load to finish off my bull moose, but that's the extent of its game getting so far. Anyone who is a single action revolver fan should, once in their life, own a custom by one of the big names: Linebaugh, Bowen, Huntington, Clements to name a few. They produce using works of art.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Grail Gun? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Model 41, and
45 Colt Mountain Gun.

I keep looking for a bargin, I just need to buy them.

The 41 will never happen. I just cant justify the cost for my use.

But damn, the ones I've shot,

I couldnt miss.

There comes a time when cost and ability doesn't matter. I've wanted a 41 for 30 years and finally got one a few years ago. I was always a very good rifleman but only an average pistol shot. I woke up one day in my mid 50's and said, I want one whether I can shoot it to its ability or not. I've never regretted it. I used to have a 625 Mountain Gun and loved it but ended up selling it. If a gun (or anything else) doesn't serve a purpose, I send it down the road.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by gunner500

Thank you sir. It's a handful with full throttle loads. I've been playing with some Trailboss and some 440 grain SWCs. Only about 750 fps but they ring steel with some surprising authority.I wouldn't be surprised but what that load would traverse a deer lengthwise. I did use it last year with a heavy load to finish off my bull moose, but that's the extent of its game getting so far. Anyone who is a single action revolver fan should, once in their life, own a custom by one of the big names: Linebaugh, Bowen, Huntington, Clements to name a few. They produce using works of art.

Nice, glad you got to use it for a moose finisher, I don't doubt 440grs at 750 fps will punch a deer lengthways, were I to ever get one, the 440's would be loaded at a reasonably comfortable 1250 fps, with that I think I could call it all good, agreed on the Craftsmen, I've never had any of their work in my hands, need to change that.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Grail Gun? - 03/17/19
Uphiker,
If I "sent unneeded guns down the road" I would have to buy a 41 and a 625 MG and......
to spend the money. wink

I only buy guns i get great deals on, or that I "really can use" now days.
Nothing leaves.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Grail Gun? - 03/17/19
well if money was no object it would be a s&w registered mag in 3.5" barrel. one in blue and one in nickle. but i settled for a superb 27-2 in 3.5" instead. love that gun. shoots like a laser and hardly kicks.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Grail Gun? - 03/18/19
As far as pistols go, I have 2 out of 3....................I'm still missing a '60's-early '70's vintage S&W 41; I've passed on a few but will have to break down soon. I still have my Hi-Standard Trophy Match 22, which is better than all but the very best 41's but there's just something about the fit & finish & blue of the old Smith's.

Rifles..........now that's a whole 'nother story.

MM

Wilson 1911

[Linked Image]

Christensen Custom 1911 Commander

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RGK Re: Grail Gun? - 03/18/19
Love the 41. Get one and you won't regret it. It can be shot without worrying about wearing it out.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: viking Re: Grail Gun? - 03/18/19
I got mine, the Colt Anaconda
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Grail Gun? - 03/18/19
Originally Posted by EdM
Probably the first revolver I bought at age 17 in 1978 and later worked over by S&W due to a barrel issue. My 5" full lug M29-2.

[Linked Image]

Didn't know there were any 29-2 guns out there with full lug.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Grail Gun? - 03/18/19
Originally Posted by RGK
Colt 2nd gen .357. Not really difficult to find, if you want to pay thru the nose. I wanted a nice one, so I bought a mint NRA commemorative (much cheaper) and had Alan Harton put an extra barrel I had on it, then fit some 2nd gen stocks to the frame. He then tuned the action. It shoots to point of aim at 25 yards with 158 grain HPs and .38 wadcutters. I'm happy.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's a before pic:
[Linked Image]

I'd be tickled pink with that one. I came close to a very nice one in .45 Colt, 5.5". I was too ignorant at the time to understand that the price I was being offered in the last hour of a gun show was actually a good price.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Grail Gun? - 03/18/19
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by EdM

Didn't know there were any 29-2 guns out there with full lug.
I bolded and underlined the pertinent part.
Posted By: bufaf Re: Grail Gun? - 03/29/21
Just got my grail gun today. Winchester 1873 musket in 44/40 with bayonet!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: hookeye Re: Grail Gun? - 03/29/21
Bowen K frame in .256 win

No got.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Grail Gun? - 03/29/21
Years ago, I had the chance to buy a Winchester 1873 musket that was literally new. Unfired with only handling marks and the cosmoline still in the barrel. Couldn't get the money together right then. It was Australian Army issue.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Grail Gun? - 03/29/21
Colt New Service 44 or either of the American 45s. Not yet, but this year.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Grail Gun? - 03/29/21
John Powers is building a Ruger Old Model Flattop with a 5 inch barrel in .38-40 with a 10mm cylinder and a Ronnie Wells Potato Judge Jr bras Bisley frame. I also have a 6 inch Colt Python on layaway. The first time I saw a Wilson Combat EDC-X9 I immediately wanted one. It took me a while to get one but it is my everyday carry gun now
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Grail Gun? - 03/29/21
Two Colt Revolvers I have always wanted, and I finally have the exact two I wanted. I have owned Python's and SAA's before, but they weren't the barrel lengths/finishes I wanted. Now I have them right.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Grail Gun? - 03/30/21
This is a Baer Premier 2 with the 1.5" at 50 yards package.

I had it customized from there. The huge boat paddle ambi safeties were replaced with a Colt single sided safety, a Smith and Alexander magwell was added, and the plain black front sight was replaced with one that I can put fiber optic rods in.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It wears a pair of Herretts skip line checkered grips. It is all kinds of fun to shoot and I carry it fairly often as a carry gun as well, as the mood suits.

I wanted one 1911 that was "just right" and this is it.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Grail Gun? - 03/30/21
SDM Fabricating, who has also built guns for Clint Smith and others, did this one for me.

It started as an 8 & 3/8ths 29-2.

Shown here hunting saber toothed squirrels on the famed Pahsimeroi that Elmer Keith also loved to hunt on.

The reason for using that length is to have the barrel markings in the proper place once the barrel is cut to 5"s.

SDM cut the barrel to 5"s put a Classic DX interchangeable sight system on it. They narrowed and smoothed the target trigger and polished it. The action is slick. Needless to say, this is one of those all time favorite revolvers and it was well worth the cost. If I could only own one iron sighted .44 this one would be it.

Posted By: David_Walter Re: Grail Gun? - 03/30/21
Mac,

I used to live down the road from Scott, and hang out in his basement when he was struggling. Good guy. I had a revolver with one of the first set of fiber optic front sights he made. Part of a test run.

Been years since I spoke with him. He's a great guy!

Very talented gunsmith on smith revolvees and 1911s.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Grail Gun? - 03/30/21
I have a couple that I am trying to get my hands on, but one that I really would like to get is 1) hard to find and 2) when you find them I don't want to lose a kidney to get.

A 657 mountain gun.

I did manage to find a 625 45 colt and really like shooting it.
Posted By: old70 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/30/21
There are several, but the least likely is an English double rifle, small frame in either .303, regulated for 215gr RN at 75 yards, or in .30-40 Krag regulated similarly with 220s. I know it’s weird, but would be great for WT where I hunt.

More likely is a triple lock 44 SPL.

Old70
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Grail Gun? - 03/30/21
I've had two, a 5" M27 .357, and a 4" M24-3, and neither lived up to the hype. In fact. neither shot worth a damn, and I was glad to rid myself of them. OTOH, a raggedy Colt Gov't Model I had reworked came back to me and shot wonderfully well for as long as I owned it, and I shot it HARD for many years shooting IPSC and such. I shot it so much it cracked the frame (didn't effect function in any way, but it let me know I was being unkind to it).

Nothing else has really come close to those. The Smiths were a real disappointment to me, and I haven't bought an N-frame Smith since then. Ks and Ls are about the only ones I'll trust nowadays.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Grail Gun? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
SDM Fabricating, who has also built guns for Clint Smith and others, did this one for me.

Shown here hunting saber toothed squirrels on the famed Pahsimeroi that Elmer Keith also loved to hunt on.

The reason for using that length is to have the barrel markings in the proper place once the barrel is cut to 5"s.

SDM cut the barrel to 5"s put a Classic DX interchangeable sight system on it. They narrowed and smoothed the target trigger and polished it. The action is slick. Needless to say, this is one of those all time favorite revolvers and it was well worth the cost. If I could only own one iron sighted .44 this one would be it.

Mac, that picture of Keith was first published in his Gun Notes column in Guns and Ammo and accompanied his rundown on the then-new Ruger Redhawk. I remember him shooting those Jacks.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/31/21
A tight, nickel, .38-44, 5”, that has not been reamed to .357.

A Registered Magnum of any length would be nice too.
Posted By: RGK Re: Grail Gun? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by cra1948

Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Grail Gun? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by RGK

Holy Sh.... WHAT a gun! Would you like to give us history buffs some more details? I only know these guns from the internet and from Tim Mullins books. Is yours a RegMag or Non-RegMag. Did you have it lettered?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Grail Gun? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by RGK

With a humpback hammer no less. Are the stocks Keith Brown or Roper?
Posted By: SS336 Re: Grail Gun? - 03/31/21
Wow! That is special.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Grail Gun? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Mac,

I used to live down the road from Scott, and hang out in his basement when he was struggling. Good guy. I had a revolver with one of the first set of fiber optic front sights he made. Part of a test run.

Been years since I spoke with him. He's a great guy!

Very talented gunsmith on smith revolvees and 1911s.

It is always great to see guys go from struggling, living on Mac and Cheese, and other things not related to financial issues, to being successful. It makes them appreciate everything that much more.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Grail Gun? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Mac, that picture of Keith was first published in his Gun Notes column in Guns and Ammo and accompanied his rundown on the then-new Ruger Redhawk. I remember him shooting those Jacks.

That hill behind him in the pic is right at a place called Horse Heaven Pass. It is not far (relatively speaking in big country) from my cabin. I have driven past it many, many times. When Bob (RJM 52) came to visit I specifically stopped there to do some long range revolver shooting. We were on a trek about the area and that seemed like a very appropriate place to shoot .41s and .44s.

Posted By: blazenet Re: Grail Gun? - 03/31/21
Mine is a 414 super mag, Dan Wesson, Seville or custom... I dont care,I just want one
Posted By: mart Re: Grail Gun? - 04/01/21
Here's some DA grail guns that have come into my care over the last couple of years.

631 32 H&R
38-44 Outdoorsman
Mountain Gun 41 magnum
Mountain Gun 45 ACP
22/32 22LR

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: TheKid Re: Grail Gun? - 04/01/21
That’s a great looking 38/44 Mart, I have a real soft spot for them with the Outdoorsman being my favorite. Someday I’d like a McGivern Outdoorsman with the 5” barrel. Can’t remember how many were made but it wasn’t a bunch. That with an original S&W grip adapter would be a wonderful gun for kicking around in the weeds. The 6.5” are pretty good as it is, carried mine yesterday evening out fishing just in case I needed to ventilate a hog or coyote.
Thanks. I just picked it up at a recent gun show. Working on loads for it right now.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Grail Gun? - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

That hill behind him in the pic is right at a place called Horse Heaven Pass. It is not far (relatively speaking in big country) from my cabin. I have driven past it many, many times. When Bob (RJM 52) came to visit I specifically stopped there to do some long range revolver shooting. We were on a trek about the area and that seemed like a very appropriate place to shoot .41s and .44s.

Have not acquired that thumb position, yet.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Grail Gun? - 04/01/21
For me it’d be a S&W 646, minty and affordable. smile
Probably a silly grail gun and I didn't start out to get all three of the Powermag chamberings. I wanted a 401 Powermag since I was kid reading, no memorizing, the annual Herters catalog. I got the 401 and just a few days later a Powermag in 44 Magnum came my way. I now had two of the three chamberings so had to get the 357 to round out the set.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: RGK Re: Grail Gun? - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by RGK

Holy Sh.... WHAT a gun! Would you like to give us history buffs some more details? I only know these guns from the internet and from Tim Mullins books. Is yours a RegMag or Non-RegMag. Did you have it lettered?

It has been lettered. It was made in 1940 and is a non-registered magnum with factory hump-back hammer and factory-installed King sights. Barrel is 6.5". Stocks are Roper copies by Keith Brown. It shoots 125 grain hollowpoints into one ragged hole at 25 yards. I like it.
Bob
Posted By: Lonerider Re: Grail Gun? - 04/02/21
The .41 Mountain gun is high on my short list.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Grail Gun? - 04/02/21
RGK, that Smith is absolutely beautiful. You have some very fine handguns, that is the one I covet the most. A grail gun for sure.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Grail Gun? - 04/02/21
Mart some beautiful guns there...
Posted By: RGK Re: Grail Gun? - 04/02/21
Originally Posted by SS336
RGK, that Smith is absolutely beautiful. You have some very fine handguns, that is the one I covet the most. A grail gun for sure.

Thanks! I stumbled into this one in a gunshop in So Cal...it was mis-marked "pre-27". Price was $900.00, with my police discount and no tax. I grabbed it as fast as I could get my credit card out. It was refinished years ago at the factory and a beautiful job they did. Markings are sharp and flawless. Keith Brown did the stocks. Bore and chambers are mint. It's a nice gun.
Bob
Posted By: EdM Re: Grail Gun? - 04/02/21
I bought this one from the man himself after a tour of his shop and a lengthy discussion of what his plans were for the future... This was in 1994.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: mart Re: Grail Gun? - 04/02/21
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Thank you sir. The 631 is the most recent. Ed posted his so many times it finally put me over the edge. A local guy had two of them NIB. Now he only has one. And a lot of my money.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Grail Gun? - 04/02/21
Freedom Arms Model 97 in..32 H&R with 5-1/2 inch barrel and the rounded butt treatment. I really like FA 97s and have a .41 Magnum and a .357 Magnum, so this would round out the family for me.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Grail Gun? - 04/02/21
3.5" registered magnum in nickle would be mine. i had to settle for a 3.5" 27-2 in blue. champagne tastes on a beer budget
Posted By: EdM Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Thank you sir. The 631 is the most recent. Ed posted his so many times it finally put me over the edge. A local guy had two of them NIB. Now he only has one. And a lot of my money.

Glad to hear you picked on up. Killer little piece.
Posted By: mart Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
I sure like it. I tested a bunch of loads last week in my Ransom rest. Shoots fair. Throats are a smidge tight so I may have Doug Phillips open them a little.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by EdM
I bought this one from the man himself after a tour of his shop and a lengthy discussion of what his plans were for the future... This was in 1994.

Ed,
I’ve got some late 90’s issues of Handloader with TLA ads in them. I want to think they were about $1500 back then. I was just out of college and broke, but it makes my little heart flutter every time you post that pic.
I guess a TLA in .45 Colt would be my grail gun, but they’re probably more than $1500 now.....
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
Recently acquired one of my grail guns. The Smith & Wesson model of 1989 5” N frame 45 Colt.
Another one would be a Model 58 Smith and Wesson converted to 44 Special or 45 Colt.
Les
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by tankerjockey

Another one would be a Model 58 Smith and Wesson converted to 44 Special or 45 Colt.
Les
Serious question...how would that be different than a Model 24 or 25-5?
Posted By: viking Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
How about a Herters 401, anyone every see one?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Les

Main thing I can think of would be a heavy barrel with fixed sights.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
I would really like to have a Registered Magnum someday. Barrel length not overly important as long as it’s factory. If we’re dreaming I’ll say 4” with King red reflector ramp, humpback hammer, and an original S&W grip adapter. Problem is they’re high dollar these days and I want to use it in the field, tough to take a $7500-10000 revolver out hiking and crawling around the weeds without worrying about it.

Same situation applies to a New Service Target in 44 Russian and Special. I’d think really enjoy a nice one, might even know where ones at that could be bought, but I feel like I’d want to baby it and wouldn’t enjoy it to the full extent.

As far as grail guns already attained, I own a 2nd model Hand Ejector Target 44sp and a much easier found but sought after 6” 16-4 32 Magnum. A pair of very nice 38/44s, 1 each Outdoorsman and Heavy Duty, are in my regular rotation of packing iron. I have a custom engraved Browning Highpower that gets lots of compliments. And hopefully I get to pick up my 5” 625 Model of 1988 on Monday, not super rare or expensive but I’ve been on the hunt for a decade now.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by SS336

Thanks! I stumbled into this one in a gunshop in So Cal...it was mis-marked "pre-27". Price was $900.00, with my police discount and no tax. I grabbed it as fast as I could get my credit card out. It was refinished years ago at the factory and a beautiful job they did. Markings are sharp and flawless. Keith Brown did the stocks. Bore and chambers are mint. It's a nice gun.
Bob

I've seen exactly 1 of them in real life... ever
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21

Les

^ this!
Not too many fixed sight N frame smith’s. I like smooth fixed sight revolvers.
Posted By: mart Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by viking
How about a Herters 401, anyone every see one?

Look back a couple pages. I posted a picture of one with its 357 and 44 companions. I have had a lot of fun with my 401. They’re a bit ungainly looking but well made and strong. And the oversized plow handle grip handles recoil as well as the Ruger Bisley.
Posted By: EdM Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by Potsy
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed,
I’ve got some late 90’s issues of Handloader with TLA ads in them. I want to think they were about $1500 back then. I was just out of college and broke, but it makes my little heart flutter every time you post that pic.
I guess a TLA in .45 Colt would be my grail gun, but they’re probably more than $1500 now.....

I recall those ads too. They are what prompted me visit Bill Grover. My #5 was $985 the others were $1500. I bought mine with a portion of the per diem I was receiving at the time while on an assignment in Houston.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Grail Gun? - 04/03/21

Les

In 1974 I got to run a couple cylinders of factory Winchester 255 grain 45 Colt, through a Model 58 that had been professionally converted. It was the personal gun of a FFL I was acquainted with.

I was 18 and distracted by those wonderful things that distract 18 year old boys, so I never asked who did the work. But damn, I loved that gun. He had the action done when it was converted it was slick. It had to be a rebore because it still had the OEM front sight. It shot a little high with 255s.
Posted By: RGK Re: Grail Gun? - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Love to shoot (or at least fondle) that bad boy.
Bob
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Grail Gun? - 04/22/21
My .38 Super is my go everywhere, do anything pistol. When I hit the trail, that's what's with my most of the time...it's a working gun, and it shows it. A lot of finish missing on that pistol, but I'll probably have it bright nickeled this year.

The rest are my Grail Handguns. I can't think of any handguns I would trade any of these for. It would have to be something pretty special.

I spend most of my time shooting the 3 revolvers.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pacecars Re: Grail Gun? - 04/22/21
New Frontier.44/40
[Linked Image from ]
© 24hourcampfire