Home
Posted By: andymick32 Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/01/19
Was gandering around Gander World today looking at a good deal on a user Beretta Nano, but I don’t know a ton about pistols so I didn’t get it. Salesman said the Sig was their best seller. 365 model maybe? What’s the best bang for your buck. Literally looking for something I’ll probably never shoot, but will carry at certain times.

Appreciate the help
If you are going to carry it, you should shoot it a lot.
antelope sniper is always worth listening to about handguns and ARs. No bullsh#t, just the hard truth. It's tempting to try and skimp a little on purchase, but if buying to carry, buy the right gun. I wouldn't wager my life on a Taurus or some other brands if I thought my life might depend on it someday. If a Sig is in your budget, they fit your requirements, you won't find a more dependable handgun. They have the same track record as a Glock, you can depend on a loud noise every time the trigger is pulled and another one ready to go after that. I carry a Sig P938, not everyone likes a single action and a safety, but that is what works for me. I have been contemplating getting a 365 myself, but the model with the safety because of my single action tendencies. What ever you get, practice and good luck on your purchase. The Sig 365 is at the top of my want list right now myself.
The P365 seems like a heck of a carry gun, and gets great real world reviews. I'd look into them pretty hard if I were sizing up a new EDC pistol.

ps - you may be able to rent one to give it a try.
I have. Beretta Nano and I have had good luck with it. It has been very reliable and it is very easy to carry in my pocket with a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster.
I am very happy with my Glock 43
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I have the 43 and the 26. Both are excellent compact carry 9mm handguns, and I carry both IWB, alternatively. Seems to me that the 26 conceals about 90% as well as the 43, so having 12 rounds on board (vs 8) causes me to choose the 26 over the 43 most of the time, unless the absolute max in concealability (non-printing through a shirt) is desired, in which case the 43 gets the nod.
Another vote for the p365.

The 365xl fits good in the hand also.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/01/19
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Another vote for the p365.

The 365xl fits good in the hand also.

Plus 1
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/01/19
Anyone carrying an H&K 30 compact? It’s a nice small double-stack package. I’ve shot one but too long ago to remember the experience.
Posted By: memtb Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/02/19
My wife loves her Sig 938. As a plus, “for a small additional fee” 😉..... a .22 RF conversion kit can be had! memtb
The Sign 365 is a solid gun. Mybhads are the size of catchers kits so it precludes me from getting one. I am very happy with the 2 xds I own. My wife carries and sds and likes that one too
I've been carrying a Walther PPS M2 for the last several years.

Very compact and accurate.

Dan
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/02/19
Nothing beats a Sig P365.
My next 9mm will be a P365.
I've been very happy with my Walther PPS M2 & a S&W M&P & I shoot both of them often. Some cuss the Taurus & have never shot one, the newer one's are very reliable. Check with a dealer & see how often one of them comes back.

Dick
Originally Posted by hookeye
My next 9mm will be a P365.

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Carlton cigarettes.

[Linked Image]
Shoot as many as you can and select what you like
Appreciate all the recommendations fellas. Definitely going to check out the Sig 365

On another note, What’s the difference between the Beretta APX Carry vs the Nano?

Originally Posted by NVhntr
Nothing beats a Sig P365.

^^^This^^^

For comparable size, capacity, and reliability and shoot ability I don’t think it can be beat as far as compact carry 9mm’s go.

My second choice would be a Glock 43. But I’ll take 13 rounds over 7 any old day of the week and twice on Sunday.
When there is a question about handgun choice Glock is always the best answer.

mike r
Posted By: memtb Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/02/19
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Mike, That may be a “bit of a reach”! wink. memtb

mike r

I have never owned a Glock, again my single action tendencies. But I am definitely going to have to get one to try. Never heard of anyone who owned one who didn't like it. Before I got a P938 as a carry gun, I looked at a Kahr. Really well made gun, machining as nice on the inside as out and I shot it really well. The only downside was the trigger. It had a really great trigger, too good as a matter of fact. I pocket carried at the time and was afraid of putting a handgun with that nice of a trigger in my pants pocket without a safety, again probably just my years of carrying a single action.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/03/19

mike r

What do all the people who have to be one of the cool kids carry?
Posted By: JOG Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by andymick32
What’s the best bang for your buck.

Last year I paid $349.99 for a new S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6". That's a lot of bang for the buck. Similar deals pop up regularly. Right now SOS has the .40 S&W version for $299. I don't really want another .40, but they're making it hard to avoid.

The Sig P365 really is a nice little pistol. I carry it with a 10 round magazine with a 15 round as an occasional backup.

Literally looking for something I’ll probably never shoot, but will carry at certain times.

That's a revolver - I'd consider a S&W Airweight J-frame.
Originally Posted by memtb
My wife loves her Sig 938. As a plus, “for a small additional fee” 😉..... a .22 RF conversion kit can be had! memtb

That P-938 is a helluva gun - I have one myself and a Wright Leather Works holster's being made even as I type this.. But as far as 'compact' goes, I think the Kahr P-9 is very slim... The smaller CM-9 is even easier to conceal..
Posted By: memtb Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/03/19
Redneck, We have 2 Kahr CM9’s......they are “car” (pun intended) guns. They live in our vehicles as a back-up gun. I loved my little Kahr, but my wife didn’t like the trigger pull. At least for myself, it may be one of the best “naturally pointing” handguns I’ve used. I attempted a “snap” shot on a sprinting ( left to right) house cat, at night, at about 40 feet. I really thought that I had hit the d@&n thing. The impact was so close, I thought that I’d made a pass-through shot. A sprinting cat, across a narrow opening,doesn’t give time for sight alignment ....just “ point and click”! smile memtb
Posted By: JPro Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/03/19
I shot a P365 the other day and will likely order one this week. I've been thinking about trying appendix carry on warm days when I still have to dress decent and tuck in a shirt. The manual-safety version of the 365 holds some appeal for me there.
Originally Posted by RufusG

mike r

I'm not sure of your definition of cool kids but most of the people I know who take defensive shooting seriously carry Glocks. Becoming proficient takes a lot of work for most people and high volume shooters often rate reliability as the 1st requirement. I was issued a Sig 226 and shot about 1k rounds/week for 12 years and found it very reliable but, for me, difficult to learn to shoot well and difficult to conceal.

I purchased a Glock 17 in 1987 and in less than 1k rounds was a convert for life. Many serious shooters have been converted by the shootability, relentless reliability and ease and economy of maintenance. I used a G23 for a few years then switched to G19s for EDC. Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights.

Several of my associates are now carrying single stack Glocks and I am probably going to add one soon. We all carry at all times and train frequently and deliberately.

I chose to take your question seriously and hope you find my response sufficient.

mike r
Back in April I wanted a reliable, sometimes carry handgun and didn't want to spend a lot. I ended up with a S&W Shield for around $300 after a $40 rebate. Since then I've heard they can be had for a little less.

It's plenty accurate enough, easy to conceal and so far it's been completely reliable. I've put over 700 rounds of everything from cheapo Brown Bear to high end self defense stuff through it with no malfunctions. It's not my favorite gun to take to the range but for what I got it for it's worked out pretty well.
Posted By: dla Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/03/19
Was gandering around Gander World today looking at a good deal on a user Beretta Nano, but I don’t know a ton about pistols so I didn’t get it. Salesman said the Sig was their best seller. 365 model maybe? What’s the best bang for your buck. Literally looking for something I’ll probably never shoot, but will carry at certain times.

Appreciate the help

I wouldn't spend much money on a pistol you're never gonna shoot. And I suspect the "carry" part isn't going to happen either. So get some good pepper spray, or maybe a Tazer and call it good.
Originally Posted by dla

Appreciate the help

I wouldn't spend much money on a pistol you're never gonna shoot. And I suspect the "carry" part isn't going to happen either. So get some good pepper spray, or maybe a Tazer and call it good.

I’ll shoot the gun to get comfortable with it, but then it will be shot occasionally and used as a self defense gun and archery carry gun. Sorry, don’t have the coin to blow through ammo all the time and I don’t feel the need to carry every where I go. Even though in this day and age, you aren’t safe anywhere. Thanks for your $.02 though.
Posted By: johnw Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/03/19
Lots of Ruger Lc9S's left out there. I love mine.

I paid maybe more than I should have, but I bought before the price dropped steeply.

Either theLc9S or it's ec9s clone are reliable, accurate, and user friendly.
Think of the APX Carry as a Nano 2.0, it’s basically a Nano with a slide stop lever. If you are able to get the Nano at a good price I would go with that.
And really inexpensive...
I thought Gander was a thing of the past?
First ever post on the Fire. Joined just to say: the idea of carrying a gun you never shoot is not good. Like, really not good.

That said, go with the Sig 365. Great to carry, and great to SHOOT.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/03/19
Welcome to the Fire Jackstraw.
Originally Posted by johnw

I paid maybe more than I should have, but I bought before the price dropped steeply.

Really liked the LC9S pro. May some around to see if I can find a new one.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/03/19

mike r

I'm not sure of your definition of cool kids but most of the people I know who take defensive shooting seriously carry Glocks. Becoming proficient takes a lot of work for most people and high volume shooters often rate reliability as the 1st requirement. I was issued a Sig 226 and shot about 1k rounds/week for 12 years and found it very reliable but, for me, difficult to learn to shoot well and difficult to conceal.

I purchased a Glock 17 in 1987 and in less than 1k rounds was a convert for life. Many serious shooters have been converted by the shootability, relentless reliability and ease and economy of maintenance. I used a G23 for a few years then switched to G19s for EDC. Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights.

Several of my associates are now carrying single stack Glocks and I am probably going to add one soon. We all carry at all times and train frequently and deliberately.

I chose to take your question seriously and hope you find my response sufficient.

mike r

Well, my question wasn't especially serious but I appreciate your detailed and personal reply.

Don't you find any contradiction between "Glock is always the best answer" and "Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights". There have got to be choices out there for some people that don't require hacking on the grips and replacing the sights at least.

mike r

mike r

Well, my question wasn't especially serious but I appreciate your detailed and personal reply.

Don't you find any contradiction between "Glock is always the best answer" and "Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights". There have got to be choices out there for some people that don't require hacking on the grips and replacing the sights at least.

There is.

Start with your own 80% frame and build it the way you want it:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018339425
I never shot one but was in the local shop today and I really liked the feel of the Glock 43x.
Been kicking around getting a 36 but the 43x might Trump it.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/04/19

Compact = Glock 19
Sub compact = Glock 43
I love my Sig P365 in the subcompact role, and my new Sig P365 XL will bump my Glock 19 to the safe if the XL passes more testing.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Bingo
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I love my Sig P365 in the subcompact role, and my new Sig P365 XL will bump my Glock 19 to the safe if the XL passes more testing.

I’ve been a Glock Fan for years. But the Sig P365 has been the best shooting compact carry gun I’ve bought in YEARS.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by johnw

Really liked the LC9S pro. May some around to see if I can find a new one.

Yeah, those are pretty ideal for a single stack 9mm. Only thing I don't particularly like about them is the take down procedure.
Originally Posted by jeeper

Compact = Glock 19
Sub compact = Glock 43

Yep. Or split the difference and just get a Glock 26.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Interested in your 365 XL findings, Cheyenne.

mike r

mike r

I have yet to find a semi auto pistol that is perfect for me out of the box. When I was first shooting USPSA comps and carrying 1911s for my EDC I spent enough on guns and mods to buy a nice car. Most of the 1911 $ was spent trying to find/make them reliable. Few production guns come w/ optimal sights and improved stuff comes available on a regular basis. None of the Glock mods are a result of reliability issues. My Production Class race guns were Glock 34s w/ a variety of sights and a litle sanding around the trigger guard. I currently own a G17 and aG19 w/ more than 100k rounds. Both are stocks guns w/ only the grip and sights personalized.

I am not a misionary or a Glock employee and do not try to convert anyone but it is difficult prioritize any factor higher than reliability in a self defense gun and no other has a track record equal to the G17 based pistols.

mike r
Posted By: dla Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/04/19
Funny, the OP wouldn't know a pistol from a hatchet, yet the mall ninjas are yammering on and on about stuff the OP can't understand.
Originally Posted by dla
Funny, the OP wouldn't know a pistol from a hatchet, yet the mall ninjas are yammering on and on about stuff the OP can't understand.

I’ve owned a Glock 23 .40 for 10+ years. I Just want to know what else is out there in the compact world and hear some reviews.
Andymick43: I am sure happy with my Glock 43 and heartily recommend one to you.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
If you are going to carry it, you should shoot it a lot.

I couldn't agree more, if you plan to carry this for self defense your life and the lives of your loved one may depend on it one day it is something to take very seriously and train regularly with it. With that being said you will want to go get your hands on a lot of different firearms to see how they feel, my suggestion is to find the closest range that will let you rent out handguns and try them out first. Me personally I have always loved Walther handguns I recently got a Bersa BP9CC which I am still getting used too but I really enjoy shooting it and so does my wife.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/06/19
I carry a Shield 1.0 in 9mm, and I find it easy to shoot, easy to conceal in OWB, and reliable. I think it was 275 with 4 magazines, a loader, and HP ammo as a promotion.
I bought 2, one to carry, and a spare in the truck in case I am not carrying.
I am thinking about a MP 2.0 with 3.6 barrel. I'm a little afraid of the weight as compared to the Shield with 9 rounds.
S&W SHIELD
Posted By: dla Re: Suggestions for compact 9mm - 09/07/19
Originally Posted by dla

I’ve owned a Glock 23 .40 for 10+ years. I Just want to know what else is out there in the compact world and hear some reviews.

So this was a troll then.
The 43x has a longer grip, and 10tnds.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jeeper

Compact = Glock 19
Sub compact = Glock 43

Yep. Or split the difference and just get a Glock 26.

I have a 19 and a 43, and HAD a 26. I did not care for the 26, as it just felt somewhat "clunky", for the lack of a better word. I find the 43 to be much more concealable, and despite the fewer rounds, a better carry option for me. I rarely carry the 19 concealed now that I have the 43, but do keep it in the vehicle a lot.
I've got a Glock 43 in my "jammie" pocket right now.

When my pants go on, my Glock 19 goes on my waist, in a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB.

I can hit well with either pistol, but just a hair better with the 19.

This is my "go to" combo, from when I get out of bed and for the rest of my day.

Virgil B.
I have not found a better 9MM than the CZ 75D PCR compact.
Mannlicher, my son has a CZ 75D PCR compact that was worked over by Cajun Gun Works, and you are correct, it is a very excellent pistol.
Best compact 9mm ever made - Glock 19.It's my every day carry.
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
Best compact 9mm ever made - Glock 19.It's my every day carry.

I carry one, too. But, I don't know that I can say that about them.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have not found a better 9MM than the CZ 75D PCR compact.

For a something to shoot, I like those a lot too. Fits my hand like a glove and they are very pleasant to shoot. They need a bit of trigger work IMO but most guns do. These have always been pretty accurate for me as well.

My choice is still a G19 for carry though, hands down. Maybe not as enjoyable to shoot as a 75 or good 1911, but IMO a better choice for a gun to have in a fight, and easier to carry concealed.
I either carry a colt LW commander or sig 938
I am super impressed with the 938. It more accurate than it should be for such a small gun...a must for a carry gun...hard to shoot and practice with a gun that you can hit anything with...
My dad bought a ruger lcp....biggest pile of crap I ever saw....couldn't hit a 55 gal drum at 15 paces....bullets wouldn't even pop a hole in it...I think the bore is too large and not spinning the bullet and loosing gas pressure...

Don't go cheap defending your life....
© 24hourcampfire