Home
Posted By: cra1948 Need new CCW - 10/01/19
I’ve come to the conclusion that, living in South Carolina now, I’m going to have to come up with a little different CCW strategy than what worked up north. I’ve not worn enough clothes to hide a 1911, Glock 20 or N frame since we arrived. I have decided to go with a 9x19. One son has a Glock 43 and one has the little version of the M&P. They both advocate for their choices. I tend to lean toward a Sig 365 but am open-minded. Thoughts?
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
Any of the 3 you listed Gock 43, S&W M&P Shield or SIg 365 will work well. I carry a Beretta Nano and you can get those at a good discount right now, or the newer Beretta APX Carry, but that is not being discounted. Both my brothers have the Sig 365 and really like it.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
I think you can conceal any of those guns listed with a little effort if you really want to. But I'm not trying to talk you out of a new gun.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
A 1911 is easily concealable with the right holster while wearing a T-shirt & shorts; just need a looser fitting shirt.

Some of the various kydex holsters work well as do the Remora, but a 4 or 4.25" barreled version makes it mo' easy.

Ditto for various mid-sized Glocks, S&W's & Sigs; if it's a not a 1911 for me, then it's a S&W Compact 2.0 with a 3.6" barrel..................just handles better for me than some of the smaller guns you mentioned.

N-frames are great guns, but not much for daily CCW unless you're wearing a big over-garment & even then, I'd much rather have a higher capacity semi any day for that purpose.

YMMV

MM
Posted By: TimZ Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
You should also check out the new Springfield Armory Hellcat......that looks like an interesting package....
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
If you are looking for a 1911 style 9mm, try the Sig 938. Typical 1911 style controls in a pocket pistol.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
We have the same hot weather down here year round.
I adopted a Kahr PM9 for pocket carry ten years ago. Highly recommended.
Posted By: TWR Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
Lots of good choices out there these days. I carry an M&P 2.0 Compact almost daily but when I have to be really discreet, I carry a J frame, either a 642 or a 640 depending on my activity. I had a Shield but sold it thinking the J frames and 2.0 Compact would be all I'd ever need. Then just last week I found a sale on a G43 and bought one of those too. New guns are better when they are on sale!

I've shot the Sig 365 and just can't warm up to it but it is a good pistol, just not for me.

Commander size 1911's conceal pretty easy for me in my Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster. Probably the most comfortable rig I've ever tried but even the horse hide soaks up more sweat than kydex does but it's not a bad choice.

I need to add we shoot a "pocket gun" match pretty often and I've seen nothing but good out of a Kahr, G43, Shield 2.0 and the Sig 365. They are all accurate and reliable so just take your pick if you need a sub compact.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
I'm carrying a S&W Shield 45 wearing shorts and a loose shirt with no problems. Alien Gear 4.0 IWB holster. I'm going to get a version for my 1911 and don't foresee any many problems.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
Of what's out there, I've shot the Kahr PM9 a little and like it. Of those you list, Glock 43 would be my first choice but I might be willing to drop to the Glock 42 if I could reliably get good ammo where I lived. I'm not a Glock fan but sometimes they are the right answer.

Tom
Posted By: johnw Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
Lots of decent options out there.

In compact 9mms, I've had good experience with the S&W shield, a Kahr that I think was a CM9, The sig p365, and the Ruger LC9S Pro.

Of all of those, if I were buying today, it'd be the p365, hands down.

a couple of years ago I bought the ruger LC9S Pro, and was quite happy with it. And I still am happy, but damn sig anyway for releasing the p365 just weeks after I bought the Ruger.

My first thought when the p365 was released was that I had to have one. Even tried to leave cash with a local shop in case one turned up. I had a few friends that managed to connect with one early on, and I loved the way those things shot.
But they remained difficult to come by for long enough that I cooled off on them.

I can not fault the ruger for the way it shoots. It's reliability is flawless, and that with a large variety of ammo. The magazine capacity is less than the Sig, but 7+1 is not bad for a very compact 9mm. I am confident that this pistol will serve me well.

Today I can walk into any one of several shops that have the p365 on the shelf. If I didn't have the ruger that I'm very happy with I'd own the sig and be done with it.

And I bought my ruger (story of my life) before the sharp price drop, but today, if you're looking for a great pistol at a great price the LC9S pro can be had for less than half the price of the Sig p365.
And thinking back, I do believe that the price drop on the LC9S Pro came upon the announcement of the P365

Double damn that sig bunch. laugh
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
Originally Posted by cra1948
I’ve come to the conclusion that, living in South Carolina now, I’m going to have to come up with a little different CCW strategy than what worked up north. I’ve not worn enough clothes to hide a 1911, Glock 20 or N frame since we arrived. I have decided to go with a 9x19. One son has a Glock 43 and one has the little version of the M&P. They both advocate for their choices. I tend to lean toward a Sig 365 but am open-minded. Thoughts?

All good choices, but the M&P Shield and the Glock 43 are more time proven designs. Don't fail to consider the Glock 26, either, which is the same size as the 43, just thicker, and holds 12 onboard rather than just 8. I'm a huge fan of the 26. It's my daily carry down here in Florida. Shoots great. Super reliable. Long proven. Carries great. Conceals great.
[quote=The_Real_Hawkeye
All good choices, but the M&P Shield and the Glock 43 are more time proven designs. [/quote]

Shirley you jest...
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
Originally Posted by TWR

Commander size 1911's conceal pretty easy for me in my Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster. Probably the most comfortable rig I've ever tried but even the horse hide soaks up more sweat than kydex does but it's not a bad choice.

The Versa Max is a great holster but there are better choices when wearing a T-shirt & shorts, IMO.

YMMV

MM
Posted By: TWR Re: Need new CCW - 10/01/19
Well I'm all ears, I've got 2 commanders and wear T-shirts and jeans or jean shorts everyday...
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19
I choose and recommend the Sig P365
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19
I would look at the SIG 938, or if you need a bit smaller and still a basic 1911 style/function the SIG 238 in .380. They are really quite accurate for a pocket pistol.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I would look at the SIG 938, or if you need a bit smaller and still a basic 1911 style/function the SIG 238 in .380. They are really quite accurate for a pocket pistol.

Both very high quality pieces, if you like the 1911 format.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19
Originally Posted by TWR
Well I'm all ears, I've got 2 commanders and wear T-shirts and jeans or jean shorts everyday...

I used a leather Brommeland, which is a virtual dupe of the VersaMax II, but thinner leather, for years, & like the Sparks, a great holster, but for minimal dress, just a tad too much hardware.

The ones below all work better for me with minimal dress & cover garments................but, everyone's taste & likes are different & holsters are a very personal choice so YMMV.

MM

For the Commanders

Raven Signature

Vedder Lightuck

Remora Holsters

Don't let the price of the Remora fool you..............they absolutely do work very well. You would want it with the reinforced mouth. Also the plush lining & a sweat shield. IIRC, RJM on here has mentioned using Remora's as well, so maybe he will comment.

For the S&W or Glock (In addition to the ones above; ones below don't make 1911 holsters, yet)

Harry's Holsters

TXC Holsters
Posted By: okie john Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19
I’ve had two G26s and two G43s. I put close to 2k rounds through the G26s and half that through the G43s. Most of that was shooting drills like El Presidente, The Test, etc. for time and score. This was during a time that I had put close to 30k rounds downrange through various Glock 9mm pistols in competition and in taking classes from top-drawer instructors.

In slow fire, they’re all as accurate as other Glock 9mms out to 50 yards. I start to see problems when I speed up. Magazines in both models hang up on the heel of my firing hand and don’t drop free, so I have to strip them from the gun during a speed reload, which adds time, confusion, and complexity. G26 recoil is not that different from a G19. G43 recoil is sharper. Back when I was shooting a lot, I could shoot 300 rounds in a day without losing much performance or dexterity. After 50 rounds from a G43, I could barely pick up a pen and write my name. The G43 also squirms a lot more in your hand, so stippling or Talon grips are a big help.

Beyond that, they‘re horses for courses and you have to rethink your tactics. I think that the G26 comes closer to filling the role of a full-sized pistol as a stand-and-fight gun, while the G43 is better for deep concealment or as an anti-robbery gun. That's due to magazine capacity and the fact that you can reload a G26 with G17 mags. If you figure 3-5 shots per assailant, then the G43 is a ~1.5 assailant gun and the G26 is a 2-3 assailant gun. One reload with the G43 gets you another 1.5 assailants for a total of 3; one reload with the G26 (using a G17 mag) gets you 4-5 more for a total of 6-8. Mag extensions change the numbers slightly at the risk of lower reliability.

If you already own other Glock 9mm pistols, then logistical tail for the G26 is shorter: it has more parts in common with them, plus it uses the same sight pusher, holsters, mag carriers, etc.

Sights are a wash. I find that new Glocks shoot well but the zero wanders until I have about 500 rounds through it so I don’t bother with new sights until I’ve put at least that many rounds downrange. Sight options for both are good but the G26 has more because it uses the sights for any other Glock. The G43 is not far behind since all Glock sights will fit it but may not be the right height. With either you may have to mix and match front sights to put POI where it should be, but that’s not hard.

The G43 is easier to conceal in theory but a lot of that depends on holster design. An IWB holster with the attaching hardware on the body of the holster (like a JMCK IWB #3) creates a package that’s almost as thick as the same package for a G26, G19, or G17. You need a holster with snaps or other connectors on the wings (like a JMCK IWB #2) to benefit fully from the narrower G43. Of course this thinking also helps you conceal a G19 or G17.

The current G43 won’t take a light, which matters in some use cases.

The G43X and G48 are interesting. I haven’t shot either, but folks on another board are known for running everything that Glock makes until the wheels come off and they call these pistols game changers. I think that either of them could fill the role of a larger pistol with ease. These folks have also found a metal magazine for the G43x and G48 that holds 15 rounds, which changes the game again.

Finally, both of my G26's were 100% reliable with all ammo--FMJ training stuff and premium carry ammo. My G43s were 100% reliable with FMJ ball in all weights, but failed to feed a couple of times with 147- and 124-grain ammo. Other G43 users report the same problem on that forum. The problem goes away with premium 115-grain ammo, especially +P variants.

Okie John
Posted By: EdM Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19
I recently bought a Ruger EC9-S and while only putting fifty through it I am pleased. Nice trigger and shoots dead on to the sights. I gave $200 for it on sale.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by TWR

I used a leather Brommeland, which is a virtual dupe of the VersaMax II, but thinner leather, for years, & like the Sparks, a great holster, but for minimal dress, just a tad too much hardware.

The ones below all work better for me with minimal dress & cover garments................but, everyone's taste & likes are different & holsters are a very personal choice so YMMV.

MM

For the Commanders

Raven Signature

Vedder Lightuck

Remora Holsters

Don't let the price of the Remora fool you..............they absolutely do work very well. You would want it with the reinforced mouth. Also the plush lining & a sweat shield. IIRC, RJM on here has mentioned using Remora's as well, so maybe he will comment.

For the S&W or Glock (In addition to the ones above; ones below don't make 1911 holsters, yet)

Harry's Holsters

TXC Holsters

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a Remora for my P365. I think it will be just what the doctor ordered.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19
I carried an M&P Compact with an optic all over San Francisco and Seattle without anyone knowing any better. Harry’s holster carried appendix with an Ares belt. Regular size T shirt.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I carried an M&P Compact with an optic all over San Francisco and Seattle without anyone knowing any better. Harry’s holster carried appendix with an Ares belt. Regular size T shirt.

You're a bad boy. Or are you buds with Gavin????????????? wink

MM
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Need new CCW - 10/02/19

Picked up one of these 6 weeks or so ago.........

https://www.eurooptic.com/FN-FNS-40...d-and-2-10rd-Magazines-Pistol-66796.aspx
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Need new CCW - 10/03/19
I'd suggest a Glock 19 or 26, or something in those size classes.
Posted By: RJM Re: Need new CCW - 10/03/19
"Don't let the price of the Remora fool you..............they absolutely do work very well. You would want it with the reinforced mouth. Also the plush lining & a sweat shield. IIRC, RJM on here has mentioned using Remora's as well, so maybe he will comment."

..is about all I carry my Commander in any more...

I've taught CC since the early 1990s and like I tell my students, like everything else in life it is 99% mental.. You can either dress to the gun you want to carry and have confidence in...or you can compromise.

If you have a small gun that you have confidence in, then it isn't a compromise. Just be sure it isn't rationalization because one day it will come up and bite you in the azz.....

Bob
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Need new CCW - 10/03/19
Clint on small guns Start at 1:20:

Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Need new CCW - 10/03/19
Yawn. That's his shtick, and he's sticking to it (while he's fighting his way to his rifle).
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Need new CCW - 10/07/19
Really did kind of lean toward the Sig in the first place, but I did look at some other stuff as well. Also talked to a couple of local guys who have the 365 and love it. I went and bought it. I've had it out to the range once, limited time. So far it works well and it's not unpleasant to shoot at all. I have pretty good sized hands, but I find I've got enough there to hold onto. Thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Need new CCW - 10/07/19
The 12rd mag will give you a bit more to hold on to.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Need new CCW - 10/07/19
LIke you, I have no idea how anybody carries a full size (or Commander fo rthat matter) 1911 in 45 acp concealed. Even if you could it's too darn heavy to lug around all the time.

I recently fired rentals at my range, the Sig 365 and P938. I shot them both very well. You cannot go wrong with either one. I prefer the 1911 platform and slightly thinner grip, so I chose the P938.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Need new CCW - 10/08/19
Living in Eastern NC where its shorts, t shirt and flip flops most of the year I've had to come to the reality of a pocket pistol.

Yes, I own and carry much better choices but find just running down to the store or whatever in the above mentioned clothing a small keltec p3at , ruger lcp II etc is hard to beat.

I much rather prefer my G19 but better to carry than to have a cannon sitting at home. Jmho
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Need new CCW - 10/08/19
Many a year I carried 1911s, including a few years carrying a full sized, steel, Government Model. With a good holster and belt, you'd be surprised what you can get used to. Just takes a month of carrying every day, all day long, to get to the point where it would feel funny if you weren't carrying it.

I only stopped because I started doing a lot of outdoor, rough terrain, hiking, to prepare for an elk hunt, and I developed a rash on the opposite side. I think that's when I switched to J-Frame S&W revolvers for a while. But if you're not doing lots of vigorous, warm weather, outdoor activity, there's no reason not to carry a 1911 IWB. It conceals and carries surprisingly well.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Need new CCW - 10/08/19
Take a look at the M&P Compact.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Need new CCW - 10/08/19
Like most gun guys here, I have some choices, but when I'm dressed it is Relaxed Fit Wranglers and that 12 ounce 337 PD .38 +P loaded J-frame goes in a front pocket better than any of my others.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Need new CCW - 10/09/19
Short barrel revolvers require regular practice to maintain proficiency.
© 24hourcampfire