Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve had two G26s and two G43s. I put close to 2k rounds through the G26s and half that through the G43s. Most of that was shooting drills like El Presidente, The Test, etc. for time and score. This was during a time that I had put close to 30k rounds downrange through various Glock 9mm pistols in competition and in taking classes from top-drawer instructors.

In slow fire, they’re all as accurate as other Glock 9mms out to 50 yards. I start to see problems when I speed up. Magazines in both models hang up on the heel of my firing hand and don’t drop free, so I have to strip them from the gun during a speed reload, which adds time, confusion, and complexity. G26 recoil is not that different from a G19. G43 recoil is sharper. Back when I was shooting a lot, I could shoot 300 rounds in a day without losing much performance or dexterity. After 50 rounds from a G43, I could barely pick up a pen and write my name. The G43 also squirms a lot more in your hand, so stippling or Talon grips are a big help.

Beyond that, they‘re horses for courses and you have to rethink your tactics. I think that the G26 comes closer to filling the role of a full-sized pistol as a stand-and-fight gun, while the G43 is better for deep concealment or as an anti-robbery gun. That's due to magazine capacity and the fact that you can reload a G26 with G17 mags. If you figure 3-5 shots per assailant, then the G43 is a ~1.5 assailant gun and the G26 is a 2-3 assailant gun. One reload with the G43 gets you another 1.5 assailants for a total of 3; one reload with the G26 (using a G17 mag) gets you 4-5 more for a total of 6-8. Mag extensions change the numbers slightly at the risk of lower reliability.

If you already own other Glock 9mm pistols, then logistical tail for the G26 is shorter: it has more parts in common with them, plus it uses the same sight pusher, holsters, mag carriers, etc.

Sights are a wash. I find that new Glocks shoot well but the zero wanders until I have about 500 rounds through it so I don’t bother with new sights until I’ve put at least that many rounds downrange. Sight options for both are good but the G26 has more because it uses the sights for any other Glock. The G43 is not far behind since all Glock sights will fit it but may not be the right height. With either you may have to mix and match front sights to put POI where it should be, but that’s not hard.

The G43 is easier to conceal in theory but a lot of that depends on holster design. An IWB holster with the attaching hardware on the body of the holster (like a JMCK IWB #3) creates a package that’s almost as thick as the same package for a G26, G19, or G17. You need a holster with snaps or other connectors on the wings (like a JMCK IWB #2) to benefit fully from the narrower G43. Of course this thinking also helps you conceal a G19 or G17.

The current G43 won’t take a light, which matters in some use cases.

The G43X and G48 are interesting. I haven’t shot either, but folks on another board are known for running everything that Glock makes until the wheels come off and they call these pistols game changers. I think that either of them could fill the role of a larger pistol with ease. These folks have also found a metal magazine for the G43x and G48 that holds 15 rounds, which changes the game again.

Finally, both of my G26's were 100% reliable with all ammo--FMJ training stuff and premium carry ammo. My G43s were 100% reliable with FMJ ball in all weights, but failed to feed a couple of times with 147- and 124-grain ammo. Other G43 users report the same problem on that forum. The problem goes away with premium 115-grain ammo, especially +P variants.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 10/02/19.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I recently bought a Ruger EC9-S and while only putting fifty through it I am pleased. Nice trigger and shoots dead on to the sights. I gave $200 for it on sale.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by TWR
Well I'm all ears, I've got 2 commanders and wear T-shirts and jeans or jean shorts everyday...

I used a leather Brommeland, which is a virtual dupe of the VersaMax II, but thinner leather, for years, & like the Sparks, a great holster, but for minimal dress, just a tad too much hardware.

The ones below all work better for me with minimal dress & cover garments................but, everyone's taste & likes are different & holsters are a very personal choice so YMMV.

MM

For the Commanders

Raven Signature

Vedder Lightuck

Remora Holsters

Don't let the price of the Remora fool you..............they absolutely do work very well. You would want it with the reinforced mouth. Also the plush lining & a sweat shield. IIRC, RJM on here has mentioned using Remora's as well, so maybe he will comment.

For the S&W or Glock (In addition to the ones above; ones below don't make 1911 holsters, yet)

Harry's Holsters

TXC Holsters

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a Remora for my P365. I think it will be just what the doctor ordered.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carried an M&P Compact with an optic all over San Francisco and Seattle without anyone knowing any better. Harry’s holster carried appendix with an Ares belt. Regular size T shirt.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I carried an M&P Compact with an optic all over San Francisco and Seattle without anyone knowing any better. Harry’s holster carried appendix with an Ares belt. Regular size T shirt.

You're a bad boy. Or are you buds with Gavin????????????? wink

MM

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I'd suggest a Glock 19 or 26, or something in those size classes.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"Don't let the price of the Remora fool you..............they absolutely do work very well. You would want it with the reinforced mouth. Also the plush lining & a sweat shield. IIRC, RJM on here has mentioned using Remora's as well, so maybe he will comment."

..is about all I carry my Commander in any more...

I've taught CC since the early 1990s and like I tell my students, like everything else in life it is 99% mental.. You can either dress to the gun you want to carry and have confidence in...or you can compromise.

If you have a small gun that you have confidence in, then it isn't a compromise. Just be sure it isn't rationalization because one day it will come up and bite you in the azz.....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Clint on small guns Start at 1:20:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yawn. That's his shtick, and he's sticking to it (while he's fighting his way to his rifle).

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

C
cra1948 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Really did kind of lean toward the Sig in the first place, but I did look at some other stuff as well. Also talked to a couple of local guys who have the 365 and love it. I went and bought it. I've had it out to the range once, limited time. So far it works well and it's not unpleasant to shoot at all. I have pretty good sized hands, but I find I've got enough there to hold onto. Thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 12rd mag will give you a bit more to hold on to.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LIke you, I have no idea how anybody carries a full size (or Commander fo rthat matter) 1911 in 45 acp concealed. Even if you could it's too darn heavy to lug around all the time.

I recently fired rentals at my range, the Sig 365 and P938. I shot them both very well. You cannot go wrong with either one. I prefer the 1911 platform and slightly thinner grip, so I chose the P938.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Living in Eastern NC where its shorts, t shirt and flip flops most of the year I've had to come to the reality of a pocket pistol.

Yes, I own and carry much better choices but find just running down to the store or whatever in the above mentioned clothing a small keltec p3at , ruger lcp II etc is hard to beat.

I much rather prefer my G19 but better to carry than to have a cannon sitting at home. Jmho

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Many a year I carried 1911s, including a few years carrying a full sized, steel, Government Model. With a good holster and belt, you'd be surprised what you can get used to. Just takes a month of carrying every day, all day long, to get to the point where it would feel funny if you weren't carrying it.

I only stopped because I started doing a lot of outdoor, rough terrain, hiking, to prepare for an elk hunt, and I developed a rash on the opposite side. I think that's when I switched to J-Frame S&W revolvers for a while. But if you're not doing lots of vigorous, warm weather, outdoor activity, there's no reason not to carry a 1911 IWB. It conceals and carries surprisingly well.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a look at the M&P Compact.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like most gun guys here, I have some choices, but when I'm dressed it is Relaxed Fit Wranglers and that 12 ounce 337 PD .38 +P loaded J-frame goes in a front pocket better than any of my others.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Short barrel revolvers require regular practice to maintain proficiency.

abusus non tollit usum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 49 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,065
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.