Home
Posted By: Teal Lipsey's - 04/07/20
So I'm poking around their site - look at dealer locator and other than Cabela's - not a whole lot close to me.

One is a Talo distributor (guess they're related?)

Given I can't just walk in and ask - can any FFL order from Lipsey's or do you need to be set up first?
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Lipsey's - 04/07/20
Don't know for sure but I think any FFL can order.

You might also check Sportsman's Warehouse. They list a number of Lipsey's distributor exclusive Rugers. I've picked up several through them.

Tom
Posted By: Teal Re: Lipsey's - 04/07/20
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Don't know for sure but I think any FFL can order.

You might also check Sportsman's Warehouse. They list a number of Lipsey's distributor exclusive Rugers. I've picked up several through them.

Tom

Sportsman's left my AO several years back. Building is a church now.

Miss them
Posted By: GSSP Re: Lipsey's - 04/07/20
Lipsey's is FFL dealer orders only. I've used them for some 15 yds. Great company. Love many of their special Ruger revolvers. Ordered their 3.75" SS Bisley 45 LC with a 2nd cylinder in 45 ACP the other day. Like I need another Bisley???

Alan
Originally Posted by GSSP
Lipsey's is FFL dealer orders only. I've used them for some 15 yds. Great company. Love many of their special Ruger revolvers. Ordered their 3.75" SS Bisley 45 LC with a 2nd cylinder in 45 ACP the other day. Like I need another Bisley???

Alan

Understand that - just wondering if ANY FFL can order from them for me or if they have to have a working relationship ahead of time.

Hoping to score one of their Rugers too - eventually. I'm really digging the Bisley in 480R
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Lipsey's - 04/07/20
You have to have a working relationship already. Distributors do credit checks, etc. I would think that any decent dealer would be on their list. Along with RSR, Sports South and Davidsons, they are the Big Four now that Ellett Brothers and Acusport are gone.
Whereabouts in "flyover country" are you?
Wisconisn - Near Green Bay.

I'm hoping that when I'm ready - the one dealer close to me that's a Talo guy can get it from Lipsey's as I'd much rather not deal with Cabela's at all. I just don't think I'll get the best price and the level of "professional advice" I've seen and heard them give out - makes me believe they'd order the wrong one.

Legit - heard the guy showing a woman a Ruger Vaquero in 45Colt as a "purse gun for her first concealed carry". While I happen to own and love mine - there are much better options.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Lipsey's - 04/07/20
I was just on the Lipseys site and they have two Green Bay dealers--Badger and Nelson Tactical. After that, it looks like you go down to Appleton. Just take them the Ruger model # or the Lipsey's product # and they shouldn't be able to screw it up.
https://www.lipseys.com/dealerstate?st=WI
Posted By: Windfall Re: Lipsey's - 04/07/20
Teal, Hard to believe that Virlee Gunworks couldn't find you about anything that you'd want. Closer than Green Bay for you too.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Teal, Hard to believe that Virlee Gunworks couldn't find you about anything that you'd want. Closer than Green Bay for you too.

I've never used them but that's the guy listed as a Talo distributor. I've never been there/used him - my GF's father does a bit I guess. He's who I planned on talking to first, tho an old HS buddy owns Family Shooting Center and if possible - I'd send business his way.
Way more high end inventory than Nelson's and Scott the owner/gunsmith does outstanding work. Mike who handles all their on-line stuff has worked at Martin. Gander, Cabela's and Scheels and has found a long term home at Verlee.
I very rarely go into Nelson's.

I sure do miss Nickolai's though.
You are dating yourself with that one. Yep, corner of Main and Adams and later out on East Main. How about Knowles on Velp, Bertrans on Washington or Hank Burdell's on Adams? I'm getting old enough to be a fossil!
Bertran's yes - shopped there quite a bit back in the day. Best reloading supplies back then. He bought them by weight instead of box to get free shipping and compete with the big players.

His daughter married a Perot IIRC - we'd hunt ducks off his driveway on the E shore. Pull in, throw deeks in the water and then squat in the waves and blast blue bills as they went past.

Never did the others. Nickolai's was the place to go to find used guns and the like. I don't think I spent a dime on anything but guns, ammo and movie rentals. Used to basically live at Trail's End Archery in high school. Dino and the guys let us hang out and shoot all afternoon.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Lipsey's - 04/07/20
FWIW, Lipsey's has voluntarily closed until April 28, from what I've heard.
Originally Posted by WiFowler
FWIW, Lipsey's has voluntarily closed until April 28, from what I've heard.

I can't get to Virlee until the quarantine passes anyway.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Lipsey's - 04/07/20
Just contacted my local LGS, inquiring if he can order from Lipsey's. I am interested in a Ruger SBH Bisley, .480 Ruger.
He told me he could order, but that Lipsey's were not filling any orders until after the end of April, due to their employees being at home.
Posted By: deflave Re: Lipsey's - 04/13/20
To answer your question, no.

Not everybody can get Lipsey exclusives. They are typically reserved for existing retailers. Retailers that use them for the majority of their wholesale purchasing can get even the toughest of Lipsey's exclusive stuff.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Lipsey's - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by deflave
To answer your question, no.

Not everybody can get Lipsey exclusives. They are typically reserved for existing retailers. Retailers that use them for the majority of their wholesale purchasing can get even the toughest of Lipsey's exclusive stuff.

It depends. Many hot items are spoken for but if their site shows any quantity on hand, it's open to any of their dealers.
Posted By: Teal Re: Lipsey's - 04/13/20
Thanks Flave and UP - I've reached out to the place this am, see what's what.
Welp - he can and does order from Lipsey's. Good price too IMO.

Problem is this - Lipsey's is out of the 4.625 version. Only have the 6.5 inch version in stock.

My plan for the revolver is mostly shooting/plinking with it coming along to the deer/bear stand and if one of those gets close enough - it gets used instead of the rifle.

Convince me I don't need to wait for the 4.625 version to come back in stock? (yep, know Lipsey's is closed for a couple more weeks minimum)
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Lipsey's - 04/13/20
If it’s a big bore revolver then I prefer a barrel longer than 4.6” for the balance. 5.5” is ideal ,but 6.5” should be ok too for your uses.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Lipsey's - 04/13/20
Even if all of a model is "Allocated", sometimes your dealer can still get one. This is how it happens---big dealers who buy a lot from Lipsey's get first choice. If all aren't spoken for, they get listed as "Quantity on Hand" on the website. It's what happens in-between where it gets tricky. If the big boys don't want it, depending on the "pull" of your salesperson and how good (but smaller) customer the dealer is and if the salesperson wants the dealer to "owe him one", they may be able to snag one before it hits the website. That's how I got a Colt 38 Super several years ago when they were really hard to get.
He was saying it was in stock as "on hand" - so I'm assuming it's as you said and he could order. Also said he'd be open today so after I get done with work - I'm going to socially distance by rump over to his place and work the deal.
If I was getting a .480 Ruger it would be going in a designated holster attached to a designated gun belt or a designated chest/shoulder rig. So the 6.5" would be no problem.

And I appreciate a longer sight radius when actually shooting.
Originally Posted by deflave
If I was getting a .480 Ruger it would be going in a designated holster attached to a designated gun belt or a designated chest/shoulder rig. So the 6.5" would be no problem.

And I appreciate a longer sight radius when actually shooting.

It will have dedicated leather. And I'm coming around to the idea of the longer radius as you said flave. The extra barrel can't hurt velocity either.

Scrounged up an old article on the web (don't remember where/who) but he had this pistol and shot a 50lb block of modeling clay with a lighter 275 grain Barnes - the pictures were very impressive - I can't imagine any animal with muscular density wanting any of that.

I'll likely cast for it tho.
That definitely gonna leave a mark.
Posted By: RJM Re: Lipsey's - 04/13/20
teal...this a "shooter" or a "hunter"...

Hunter you may want to just get the longer barrel for the better sight radius.... But if it's going to be mostly a range gun, carry for bear, just a shooter my vote goes to wait...

The balance is just completely different between the two lengths and if you have had Rugers of various lengths then you already know that...

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM
teal...this a "shooter" or a "hunter"...

Hunter you may want to just get the longer barrel for the better sight radius.... But if it's going to be mostly a range gun, carry for bear, just a shooter my vote goes to wait...

The balance is just completely different between the two lengths and if you have had Rugers of various lengths then you already know that...

Bob

I've only had the Vaquero in 4.62 length. Handy. Never toted a longer one. Damn - you have me thinking.

How bad is it - really? The difference? IIRC they're listed about 2 ounces heavier for the extra barrel.
Posted By: Teal Re: Lipsey's - 04/14/20
Went in and ordered it. Should ship when Lipsey's gets back up.

They had a Blackhawk in the longer barrel but 357 Mag, handled it and didn't find balance to be bad for me.

They also had a used one in 44 rem mag for 500. Was tempting...
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Lipsey's - 04/14/20
You got me searching on Lipseys sight after reading.

Drooling over the 5” GP100 blue half lug ....they have a lot of nice Rugers.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Lipsey's - 04/14/20
Oh yeah the Lipseys Blackhawk convertible is very tempting also :
-5.5”
-convertible 357/38/9mm
-blue with Birdseye maple stocks
Posted By: deflave Re: Lipsey's - 04/14/20
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Oh yeah the Lipseys Blackhawk convertible is very tempting also :
-5.5”
-convertible 357/38/9mm
-blue with Birdseye maple stocks

Tough to beat.